Optimism

I smell Tom Brady. It smells like fear. I smell Ralph Wilson stadium packed to the gills on opening day. I smell the heightened sense of anticipation in the crowd around me. I smell the hairs standing on end as the opening kick off sails through the air. Oh, man do I smell optimism. I smell even the stadium wall message boarders starting to get excited about the upcoming season. I smell Fitz calling his team mates and putting in off the clock extra reps because he knows this is the last year on his contract and he wants a new one real bad. I smell the defense aching with the desire to crush any and all comers. I smell Gailey and Wannstedt putting their heads together to devise a plan before the game. I could go on but I think some of you all should tell us what you smell. It's coming. The turning point has arrived and now the momentum is beginning to build. Ah, the smell.........

What do you smell?

what do i smell? i smell something very bad coming out of bufflo and heading all around the afc east. i smells a lot like sweat, blood and bad intent. and i'm hoping it looks a lot like k-dub and big d meeting at the corner of omg and "what's that brown spot on the back of brady's pants?"!!!

I can't believe the pessimists haven't arrived yet. Could it be we have a few converts here? I can smell it!

Great draft analysis Rockinon. I believe you are right, some of the gloom and doomers might be loosening up a bit. Overall I'm very excited about the new guys we got. For the most part they seem to be fairly bright, hard working, talented with leadership qualities, big and physical players. A new infusion of talent with character. The locker room is changing for the better.

I smell Tom Brady. It smells like fear. I smell Ralph Wilson stadium packed to the gills on opening day. I smell the heightened sense of anticipation in the crowd around me. I smell the hairs standing on end as the opening kick off sails through the air. Oh, man do I smell optimism. I smell even the stadium wall message boarders starting to get excited about the upcoming season. I smell Fitz calling his team mates and putting in off the clock extra reps because he knows this is the last year on his contract and he wants a new one real bad. I smell the defense aching with the desire to crush any and all comers. I smell Gailey and Wannstedt putting their heads together to devise a plan before the game. I could go on but I think some of you all should tell us what you smell. It's coming. The turning point has arrived and now the momentum is beginning to build. Ah, the smell.........

What do you smell?

It cannot be put more eloquently and to the point than how you stated it. I smell the realization in Bellyache and Rexy that the Bills won't be a cakewalk anymore. I can't wait for our new guys to gel with the rest of the team. Bills are going to be VERY exciting to watch!

It cannot be put more eloquently and to the point than how you stated it. I smell the realization in Bellyache and Rexy that the Bills won't be a cakewalk anymore. I can't wait for our new guys to gel with the rest of the team. Bills are going to be VERY exciting to watch!

Our team is getting bigger, tougher and more aggressive. I am so glad Jauron is gone with his speedy, small, finesse crap. This is football for cryin' out loud. And Buffalo football is supposed to be a dominant defense, smash mouth, in-your-face game. This draft is a definite step in the right direction.

Edited by Rockinon

I too love the emphasis on building a dominant defense through tough, aggressive players. This team needs an identity and if this draft is successful, it looks like they will develop into a nasty defensive team. The plan appears to be to first fix the defense and then bring in our future franchise QB. From what I've seen so far, next years QB class looks to have some promising options with more of them playing in college pro style offenses than this years group.

I too love the emphasis on building a dominant defense through tough, aggressive players. This team needs an identity and if this draft is successful, it looks like they will develop into a nasty defensive team. The plan appears to be to first fix the defense and then bring in our future franchise QB. From what I've seen so far, next years QB class looks to have some promising options with more of them playing in college pro style offenses than this years group.

That's a possibility but Fitz may surprise everyone and play like a top 5 QB. He got the ball rolling last year and might just be warming up.

Most people should be happy with this draft. Yeah, maybe some people wanted a LB in the second, but the Bills seem to have done their homework and hopefully will put things together this year.

Ralph Wilson had two words for Bills fans last year: “Pain and Patience”. I’m good with the patience part - if Ralph, at 92 years old, or whoever might buy this team will do the same.

Since the Bills have been changing their coaching staff every three years I would like to advocate that we give Chan and Buddy more time to see if the fruits of their labor succeed. It just might take more three years to rebuild and it remains to be seen if Fitz is really the player the Bills need him to be.

The picks they made convey a feeling of security from Buddy and Chan. They didn't reach to try to hit a home run. These picks look to me like just step one. For example, Johnny White the RB is a pick for depth, but also the first in line to ultimately replace Freddy in 2-3 years and there will be more RBs to eventually find the replacement.

I guess what we feel, even the people not overly happy with all the picks, is the sense of a plan.

I watched the ESPN draft re-cap today with Mcshay, Kiper, Bruschi and Edwards. They smell it too!! McShay said " Bills had a great draft maybe 4 starters drafted." Bruschi said, "The Bills started to close the gap with other AFC East teams, no more looking at the Bills on the schedule and seeing a sure win."

to me, fitzpatrick's best qualities are the one's you cannot measure. he seems like a very humble, honest, hard working, family oriented guy. to me that's important because i can show my kids an example of how hard work and doing things the right way can pay off. as far as football goes. i've said it before and i'll say it again, this guy plays the qb position the way i want my qb to play it. as far as "franchise" qb...i believe that he could be the guy that is the quarterback of this team as they go forth and compete for a superbowl. and i believe that they have won and will win some games directly because of his leadership and intelligence. he does not work for the physical model of the prototypical "franchise qb", but i feel a very strong connection to him and right now i don't want anyone else to be the qb of this team.

can't help it, i am a billiever.

I'd hope so, because it can't be his accuracy and arm strength. His best attributes are his decision making and his fearlessness. Although his fearlessness can be a detriment due to his accuracy. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it ends games, in a bad way. I hope he can turn into a stud, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd hope so, because it can't be his accuracy and arm strength. His best attributes are his decision making and his fearlessness. Although his fearlessness can be a detriment due to his accuracy. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it ends games, in a bad way. I hope he can turn into a stud, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Fitz Fearlessness is mitigated by a defense that can cover mistakes. Nothing kills momentum like a 3 and out after an INT. And, a 20+ yard punt return by Roscoe. The problem is: we haven't been able to put those two things, the stop and the return, together for a very long time now.

There is no doubt that these guys(Nix and Gailey) at the very least won't f up the obvious. Especially Gailey. His game time decisions are light years ahead .

Look, everyone knows I am an optimist when it comes to the Bills. I have been carrying water for this organization for years, to the point of looking silly at times. Not just on the internet, but in public as well. Pray I don't show up at your Bills Backers bar, because I am intolerable. My soon to be brother-in-law-Pats-fan can attest. He's a cool guy though, so he has let me slide on multiple occasions. In fact, we have gone to games together and he admires the average Bills fan. I remind him that if the Pats slip into 1 losing season, most of the people he knows will haul out their old Giants jerseys, and he has yet to dispute that. :D

However, the OP's question was about "feel". Normally, "Feel" is not something I do well with. I do much better with "think" and "know". Except when it comes to the Bills. :D

All, Sapphire/Tonic, and O'Coward Bin Laden euphoria aside, I am scared. I am scared because I really don't know what's possible with this team. Expectations, optimistic or otherwise, are exceedingly difficult to set when you are unsure as to what is even possible. I have no idea what is possible with this team...and that is a good thing.

What do you smell?

I smell that distinct aroma of the end of April just after the draft...

We just got 3 SOLID PLAYERS in the draft, and if you look at the offseason, we havent lost anybody important to our team.

Nixley is 3 for 3, and the team is already substantially better.

It seems that with these picks they are very serious about...run...stop the run

yup, def a 2-year process, at a minimum, to put together a solid team.

Looks like franch QB will be next yr.

Yet, did you see teams run on the Bills last year? There existed a huge need to upgrade our DL as well. Stroud played poorly, and Kelsay flat out stunk, particularly against the run.

That, buddy, is a damn good draft so far. We are far behind the rest of the division, but with draft, we are turning the corner.

We got the best guy in this draft to do just that, hold ground and maintain his gap and not get moved.

This, of course, was April 2010.

Hope smells eternal!!

Fitz Fearlessness is mitigated by a defense that can cover mistakes. Nothing kills momentum like a 3 and out after an INT. And, a 20+ yard punt return by Roscoe. The problem is: we haven't been able to put those two things, the stop and the return, together for a very long time now.

There is no doubt that these guys(Nix and Gailey) at the very least won't f up the obvious. Especially Gailey. His game time decisions are light years ahead .

Look, everyone knows I am an optimist when it comes to the Bills. I have been carrying water for this organization for years, to the point of looking silly at times. Not just on the internet, but in public as well. Pray I don't show up at your Bills Backers bar, because I am intolerable. My soon to be brother-in-law-Pats-fan can attest. He's a cool guy though, so he has let me slide on multiple occasions. In fact, we have gone to games together and he admires the average Bills fan. I remind him that if the Pats slip into 1 losing season, most of the people he knows will haul out their old Giants jerseys, and he has yet to dispute that. :D

However, the OP's question was about "feel". Normally, "Feel" is not something I do well with. I do much better with "think" and "know". Except when it comes to the Bills. :D

All, Sapphire/Tonic, and O'Coward Bin Laden euphoria aside, I am scared. I am scared because I really don't know what's possible with this team. Expectations, optimistic or otherwise, are exceedingly difficult to set when you are unsure as to what is even possible. I have no idea what is possible with this team...and that is a good thing.

The original question was about smell. To put it into some kind of context, I used the sense of smell because it is a sense that humans have lost the ability to use properly. It is an animalistic sense capable of smelling fear like a speeding dart finds a bullseye. It is a sense capable of making the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It is a sense that allows you to close your eyes and feel everything around you. It is an awesome sense and I smell a distant storm gathering. I am in Potsdam, NY but he storm is coming from the direction of Buffalo. Can you smell it now?

Edited by Rockinon

Yeah but this year they REALLY smell it :)

The Bills look to have had a decent draft this year, no harm in a little post draft chest pounding by those so inclined!

I smell the optimism........and it is good.

Love your post, but your taglines...not so much. Obama spent the last two years trying to work with the Republicans only to be consistently rebuffed. If you change your tag to "come on republicans start working with the prez" then I'd give you an A+. Until then, it's extra homework for you, young man.