Optimism

Following this draft has been fun. We all watched last year as our offense fought valiantly only to watch our defense get pushed around like rag dolls and lose a lot of close games. It became very evident that what this team needed most was to get bigger and stronger on defense. We knew we would likely go heavy on defense, but 7 out of 9 picks heavy? Wow!

1. The Dareus pick. DT/Alabama. I was very much in favor of picking up Miller but that was only because there would certainly be zero chance of Darius actually still being on the board at #3. Can anyone not be optimistic about this pick? This guy lined up next to Kyle Williams is going to be fun to watch. And even more impressive, some real props must go to Nix, Gailey and Whaley for also spending 2 early picks on DL last year. Troupe and Carrington both showed promise last year and it is certainly reasonable to expect improvement. A dominating performance from our DL this year can actually be expected.

2. Aaron Williams, CB/FS, University of Texas. This was a head scratcher for many of us, but good corners and ones that can also be a FS are not easy to find in later rounds. Add also that two of our starters may not be back from last year and this all of a sudden can be seen as a wise pick by the Bill's brain trust. What is interesting is that he is not the short speed freaks we are accustomed to seeing. He is bigger and a more aggressive tackler however and this is a theme that we will see throughout this draft. Though many of us wanted a LB, this pick shows a considerable amount of vision. We got a football player at a position need and one that was actually rated a 1st round prospect. So this was a value pick as well.

3. Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU. Well here is the linebacker we wanted in the 2nd round and I must say, he is a gamer. Sheppard was on Gailey's squad in the senior bowl. In 2010 ... he added 26 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, seven pass breakups, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and two fumble recoveries for career. That is getting in on the action! Another trait is that he is considered a fiery team leader at LSU. This is football player that not only lays it out on the field but also motivates the people around him. This is a great pick!

4. Da'Norris Searcy, SS North Carolina. Searcy is a strong safety known for his good instinctual play. Everyone is aware of our problems covering TE's. This is a step in the right direction. Searcy covers TE's and slot receivers very well and has a habit of making plays on the ball. He is also considered a reliable tackler that takes good angles and wraps up his target when he gets there. I am definitely beginning to get the sense that the brass on this team is getting serious about improving the defense with this pick.

5. Chris Hairston, OT Clemson. A big strong tackle with good technique and has good feet. This guy is considered an excellent pass protector who makes few mistakes. His greatest criticism is his conditioning. He is a big man that tires easily. Welcome to the NFL Mr. Hairston. Time to get serious about your workout regimen. He was CJ Spiller's team mate at Clemson. Can he open some hole's for him? Time will tell. We needed a Tackle and here he is. This was a tough draft to find a good one. Hairston is definitely a project, but he does have a lot of upside. He could turn out to be a good protector for Fitz and there ain't nothing wrong with that.

6. Johnny White, RB North Carolina. OK, we do have talent at this position, but there is no one behind Fred Jackson and CJ if one of them get hurt. White is a one cut and up the field runner who is very good at finding a lane quickly(something that CJ struggled with). He is strong, fast and considered a runner that finishes moving forward. Good pick at a position of need. This is another weapon that Fitz can use to his advantage.

7. Chris White, ILB Mississippi State. Chris was another outstanding SEC ILB. A tackling machine. His speed is his greatest criticism, but he always seems to be around the ball. Honestly, I would much rather have an instinctual player that reads offenses quickly and makes a play than someone who can't(even if they are physically gifted). This is a smart kid with a nose for the ball and that is what we need. He is considered stout at the point of attack and a vicious hitter. Not bad for the 6th round. More defense and someone else to push the LB core.

8. Justin Rogers, CB Richmond. OK another corner and I too am having trouble being optimistic about this pick, but he is another defensive addition. The one good thing to like is he is 6' tall. A trend that I am noticing is the move away from small fast defensive backs. With taller stronger WRs dominating the league, it stands to reason that the DBs covering them must also be taller and stronger. Definitely a noticeable trend at all positions in this draft is to get bigger. Gailey and company are getting ready to play some smash mouth football.

9. Michael Jasper, DT, Bethel TN. A mountain of a man with incredible agility for his size. All I can say is WOW. He is most definitely a project and may not even make the team. That being said though, if our coaching staff can turn him into a real space eating 3-4 NT, this defense is going to put the fear of God into opposing offenses. This guy has played at well over 430 pounds and has dropped below 380 since. If he is strong enough and smart enough, he could turn into the biggest steal in this draft. It is considered a very tall order at this point, but stranger things have happened. Right?

How anyone can not be optimistic about this year's draft is beyond me. I know you are out there however, so fire away. Don't expect the optimists to lay down to your criticisms though. All I ask is that you play nice and remember, we are all Bill's fans. Now I need a beer.

Edited by Rockinon

While most of the picks are a step forward for the defense, the fact that the same personnel will be in place really hurts the optimism - especially concerning the defense. Regardless of the players abilities and unless Wannstedt steps up- the schemes and playcalling will still be broken. A great coach will get the most out of their players - I just don't think we have one of those on the staff.

not only am i thrilled at the picks we made, i love the picks we didn't make. this shows that we are going to give some players a chance to develop and show what they can do. and it shows that our coaching staff has faith in some players that the national media love to bash. so yeah, i'm all in.

Nice run-down. You should learn our #1's name is Dareus, however. ;)

I don't have a whole lot to add, but here goes:

In our #1 and #2 picks, we have two guys who knocked out top college QBs two years ago (Dareus on McCoy, Williams on Bradford). I like hitters.

I watched both Searcy and Johnny White play regularly, so I'll admit a bias towards both. I believe the Bills and their fans will be pleased with the selections.

Chris White reminds me of John Holecek. In the couple of videos I watched, he was never out of position. Every team needs these types of players on defense -- everyone can't be a stud athlete.

I said this in a different thread yesterday, but aside from the final two picks, Buffalo went with players from top schools who know what success feels like and what it means to play in critical games/situations. I think this is a further move to change the culture in the locker room, and I like it.

Nice run-down. You should learn our #1's name is Dareus, however. ;)

I don't have a whole lot to add, but here goes:

In our #1 and #2 picks, we have two guys who knocked out top college QBs two years ago (Dareus on McCoy, Williams on Bradford). I like hitters.

I watched both Searcy and Johnny White play regularly, so I'll admit a bias towards both. I believe the Bills and their fans will be pleased with the selections.

Chris White reminds me of John Holecek. In the couple of videos I watched, he was never out of position. Every team needs these types of players on defense -- everyone can't be a stud athlete.

I said this in a different thread yesterday, but aside from the final two picks, Buffalo went with players from top schools who know what success feels like and what it means to play in critical games/situations. I think this is a further move to change the culture in the locker room, and I like it.

Of course. I went back and fixed spelling. I wanted to do it quickly and without too much in depth analysis on each player. This draft should make our defensive coordinator and LBs coach very happy. Hope training camp starts soon. I did get the sense that size and instinct was a big factor in this draft. The brass seems to be looking for an aggressive dominating defense instead of a speedy finesse defense.

Of course. I went back and fixed spelling. I wanted to do it quickly and without too much in depth analysis on each player. This draft should make our defensive coordinator and LBs coach very happy. Hope training camp starts soon. I did get the sense that size and instinct was a big factor in this draft. The brass seems to be looking for an aggressive dominating defense instead of a speedy finesse defense.

i love the premise of drafting instinctive football players that like to hit over incredible atheletes that tear up the combine. combine that with the description of last years draft class (a bunch of self-motivated players that have had to work their butts off to get where they are) and i love the overall philosophy. i'll take a guy that is a half step slow that is always in position and ready to blow someone up rather than a guy that is fast as hell that doesn't know where he's going any day. my optimism this year also has a lot of excitement to go with it too!

i love the premise of drafting instinctive football players that like to hit over incredible atheletes that tear up the combine. combine that with the description of last years draft class (a bunch of self-motivated players that have had to work their butts off to get where they are) and i love the overall philosophy. i'll take a guy that is a half step slow that is always in position and ready to blow someone up rather than a guy that is fast as hell that doesn't know where he's going any day. my optimism this year also has a lot of excitement to go with it too!

I wonder how much Whaley's influence is showing in this draft. Pittsburgh has always had an aggressive defense, and I think their drafting philosophy reflects that. Whaley having a Pittsburg background may be getting some attention or the whole war room may be putting a new stamp on Buffalo's drafting philosophy. Either way, I like it. Drafting 2 early round defensive linemen last year just makes this draft look even more like there is a long term goal for success. And Wannstedt, I think is going to have a great influence on the coaching of these players. The defense is looking awesome. The offense even got a couple of key acquisitions. Overall, the depth on the team is much improved over last year.

Edited by Rockinon

I wonder how much Whaley's influence is showing in this draft. Pittsburgh has always had an aggressive defense, and I think their drafting philosophy reflects that. Whaley having a Pittsburg background may be getting some attention or the whole war room may be putting a new stamp on Buffalo's drafting philosophy. Either way, I like it. Drafting 2 early round defensive linemen last year just makes this draft look even more like there is a long term goal for success. And Wannstedt, I think is going to have a great influence on the coaching of these players. The defense is looking awesome. The offense even got a couple of key acquisitions. Overall, the depth on the team is much improved over last year.

it's a good feeling being outright enthusiastic rather than catiously optimistic. i agree that the people they have in place right now-whaley, nix, gailey, wannstedt, maybe even modrak-seem to be making good descisions and moving this team in the right direction. i also appreciate that they seem to get rid of malcontents and divas quickly and replace themn with hard working guys that would seemingly have strong character. now bring on the patriots!

it's a good feeling being outright enthusiastic rather than catiously optimistic. i agree that the people they have in place right now-whaley, nix, gailey, wannstedt, maybe even modrak-seem to be making good descisions and moving this team in the right direction. i also appreciate that they seem to get rid of malcontents and divas quickly and replace themn with hard working guys that would seemingly have strong character. now bring on the patriots!

I can't believe the pessimists haven't arrived yet. Could it be we have a few converts here? I can smell it!

Most people should be happy with this draft. Yeah, maybe some people wanted a LB in the second, but the Bills seem to have done their homework and hopefully will put things together this year.

Ralph Wilson had two words for Bills fans last year: “Pain and Patience”. I’m good with the patience part - if Ralph, at 92 years old, or whoever might buy this team will do the same.

Since the Bills have been changing their coaching staff every three years I would like to advocate that we give Chan and Buddy more time to see if the fruits of their labor succeed. It just might take more three years to rebuild and it remains to be seen if Fitz is really the player the Bills need him to be.

Edited by LGB

9. Michael Jasper, DT, Bethel TN. A mountain of a man with incredible agility for his size. All I can say is WOW. He is most definitely a project and may not even make the team. That being said though, if our coaching staff can turn him into a real space eating 3-4 NT, this defense is going to put the fear of God into opposing offenses. This guy has played at well over 430 pounds and has dropped below 380 since. If he is strong enough and smart enough, he could turn into the biggest steal in this draft. It is considered a very tall order at this point, but stranger things have happened. Right?

Mountain? Dude's the size of a small planet!...LOL

Most people should be happy with this draft. Yeah, maybe some people wanted a LB in the second, but the Bills seem to have done their homework and hopefully will put things together this year.

Ralph Wilson had two words for Bills fans last year: “Pain and Patience”. I’m good with the patience part - if Ralph, at 92 years old, or whoever might buy this team will do the same.

Since the Bills have been changing their coaching staff every three years I would like to advocate that we give Chan and Buddy more time to see if the fruits of their labor succeed. It just might take more three years to rebuild and it remains to be seen if Fitz is really the player the Bills need him to be.

Fitz's play last year could have been an anomaly, but how can anyone honestly say after all of his accomplishments, he doesn't deserve a chance to prove he has "franchise" talent. Talent comes in many forms. It's not all completion percentages and touchdown/interception ratios. There have been a lot of people writing him off, but my belief is that he has as much of a chance as any rookie coming out of college. If he takes this team deep into the playoffs and they don't win the big game I can just here the criticism ahead of time. It'll all be because of the lack of a "franchise" QB. Some people are just born pessimists and can't help themselves.

Fitz's play last year could have been an anomaly, but how can anyone honestly say after all of his accomplishments, he doesn't deserve a chance to prove he has "franchise" talent. Talent comes in many forms. It's not all completion percentages and touchdown/interception ratios. There have been a lot of people writing him off, but my belief is that he has as much of a chance as any rookie coming out of college. If he takes this team deep into the playoffs and they don't win the big game I can just here the criticism ahead of time. It'll all be because of the lack of a "franchise" QB. Some people are just born pessimists and can't help themselves.

What Fitzpatrick has to do is to take the next step up and start pulling out wins for the Bills against the good teams like the Patriots and Jets. That's what Kelly did to win over teammates and fans, and that's what he has to do in 2011.

Before the Ravens game, I was the first one to propose that he could be a late blooming franchise guy. His 12 point jump in QB rating only solidified my thought that our guy just might be already here.

He's got a one year audition and I can't wait to see if he can do it.

Rockinon, thanks for the knowledge and the time to post it. There is lots to be optomistic about. So what does optomistic smell like to you? ("Smells like victory", to me.)

Have you ever played the game? Tackled someone with a full head of steam and drove them to the ground so hard your first thought is "man, that had to hurt"? Smells something like that.

to me, fitzpatrick's best qualities are the one's you cannot measure. he seems like a very humble, honest, hard working, family oriented guy. to me that's important because i can show my kids an example of how hard work and doing things the right way can pay off. as far as football goes. i've said it before and i'll say it again, this guy plays the qb position the way i want my qb to play it. as far as "franchise" qb...i believe that he could be the guy that is the quarterback of this team as they go forth and compete for a superbowl. and i believe that they have won and will win some games directly because of his leadership and intelligence. he does not work for the physical model of the prototypical "franchise qb", but i feel a very strong connection to him and right now i don't want anyone else to be the qb of this team.

can't help it, i am a billiever.

I can smell the optimism. Oh, wait...

I just ate a crap load of lentils. :sick:

At least you thought you could smell it.....a possible convert? What did you do, fart? :lol:

Edited by Rockinon