Round 5 (Pick 133): RB Johnny White - North Carolina

Acantha

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Word: White is one of the more underrated running back prospects in this draft. He has the quickness, vision, and balance to fit many running attacks. His toughness and determination allow him to pick up yards after the initial contact which is key in the NFL. His overall value is hurt by his limitations as a pass blocker. White also is not a natural pass catcher which makes him a likely candidate to be pegged as a 2 down back.

Who do we even have behind Freddy/CJ? If the guy can be a good short yardage back/special teamer this is a very good pick.

I agree he's probably a depth pick as well. His coach was talking him up especially as a special teamer.

Huddle Report on Johnny White

Johnny White RB North Carolina

TALENT BOARD

Round 1

STRENGTHS

This is one of the best running backs in this draft. He has excellent talent and natural instincts and plays in a pro style offense. Johnny has natural gifts to catch the ball out of the backfield, to be used in the slot and catch the ball down the field like a receiver. He is excellent at picking up a blitz and blocking. Johnny has the power and strength to run through the tackles as well as the speed to take the ball to the outside. This kid is a complete running back. He is football smart and shows leadership skills through his play on the field. If he hadn't broken his collar bone at the beginning of the year, he just might have been rated as the best all around running back in this draft. There is no learning going on for this kid -- he is a natural.

CONCERNS

Johnny needs to stay healthy. If he does, he will be considered one of the steals in this draft. As of this writing, Johnny is not listed on our top 200. That should change if he can work out some time before the draft.

BOTTOM LINE

I saw Johnny in two games this year before he got injured. The first time he took the ball on a run, the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I got the "this kid has star power" chills. The announcers talked about how he has played on both side of the ball, but all I can tell you is that seeing him at running back seemed like he had been there all of his life. He knows how to set up blocks for his offensive linemen and can catch the ball down the field. In fact, Johnny was North Carolina's whole offense before he got injured. I don't know if Johnny will get selected in this draft. Remember the name Johnny (The Natural) White because when he gets on the field, you cannot deny seeing his natural talents and his ability to impact. He just has to stay healthy. I know I'm going out on a limb here as far as most people are concerned, but this is why we use the two board system. I am not bound to tell you what you want to hear or expect to hear. All I am bound to do is tell you what I see. You Mark Ingram fans and Jordan Todman fans, don't worry. Johnny will not sniff the 1st round or 2nd round. In fact, he most likely won't be selected in the first three rounds, but he will be one of the best running backs out of this draft when it is all said and done.

White is an explosive, well-rounded prospect who lacks some size and experience carrying the load. He could develop into a starter in time but will provide outstanding value as a change-of-pace, third-down back and special-teams ace early in his career. Despite lack of reps, he allows plays to develop and decisively hits the hole. He has exceptional acceleration and agility. He runs hard but likely doesn't have the bulk to be a punishing runner in the NFL. He's refined in the passing game and a capable blocker. He's rising up draft boards and could go on Day 2.

Bills scout Tom Roth on GR: "Very good player." Played wide receiver in August during the UNC scandal. Versatile; runs hard in between the tackles and hits the hole hard. Very good ST gunner. Also played some defense at UNC (didn't specify the position). Expects him either to be a complementary back or a complimentary back (he didn't spell it out, but I think it's the former because the kid ain't gonna play for free). Good running and catching ability. Decent in pass protection. Not the biggest kid, but very willing and very aware. Was hurt for two or three games this year but still had about 800 yards rushing. Plays bigger than his size. "When you meet him, you'll fall in love with him."

We needed another RB. Stanzi will not be a starter in the NFL, so quit whining about him. Rds 5-7 are depth/ST picks with a rare player turning into a starter a'la Stevie Johnson. White will see the field and is supposed to be an excellent gunner on ST. If you remember, we were terrible on kickoffs last years so I'm happy with this.