After a couple more years of getting beat by Brady

Scenario A: Mallett backs up Brady for a yr or two, plays well when given oppty and gets traded for much higher picks a 3rd rounder (like Cassell)

Scenario B: Mallett backs up Brady for 2-3 years, plays well. NE trades Brady for several high picks (like Bledsoe)

Scenrio C: Mallett doesn't pan out and the Pats waste a 3rd round pick.

Basically a no lose proposition for the Pats. Once again they prove to be smarter thsn the rest of the league and totally piss me off.

Scenario D: Mallet, Picked because he looks like a physical lone of brady, turns out to be the locker room cancer incapable of leadership and of questionable character all those who passed over him thought him to be. He fails to grasp Bellicheats offense, and rides the pine untill falling out of the league.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Scenario A: Mallett backs up Brady for a yr or two, plays well when given oppty and gets traded for much higher picks a 3rd rounder (like Cassell)

Scenario B: Mallett backs up Brady for 2-3 years, plays well. NE trades Brady for several high picks (like Bledsoe)

Scenrio C: Mallett doesn't pan out and the Pats waste a 3rd round pick.

Basically a no lose proposition for the Pats. Once again they prove to be smarter thsn the rest of the league and totally piss me off.

How is this a "no lose" proposition?

I'm about as worried about Mallet as I am about Rohan Davey, Michael Bishop and Kevin O'Connell.

It's called not worrying about what you can't control. The Bills can't run its draft worried about what the Pats are going to do. What I really love is how no one EVER questions Belichick's draft record. Everyone is in awe at how he trades his draft picks but no one asks why on earth they drafted 2 RBs or why they took an OT who wasn't even a 1st RD prospect. As for the draft picks all they did is push the same picks forward. When you have their record then I guess you've earned every benefit of the doubt but I don't think they've done dick in this draft, Mallett or not.

PTR

We'll see...I'm not betting against NE and Belichick...And I was not talking about worrying like the losing sleep kind of worrying...I was talking about the fact that there seems to be some giggles going on in this thread about the Pick...And I could understand if Cincy Drafted him...But it's the Pats...And I'm not so sure... B-)

I'm about as worried about Mallet as I am about Rohan Davey, Michael Bishop and Kevin O'Connell.

That's actually a very good point... B-)

No I am not upset that they are trying to fix a terrible defense, and as far as the first two picks, Dareus is a great pick and Williams is was also borderline first round talent. The ridiculous reach with the third round pick when Mallet was sitting right there for taking is what makes no sense. And for you info, any pick in the NFL Draft is an assessment, as picks at any draft spot and any position can and have be major busts or major superstars. You are 100% correct in that Fitz is a Stop Gap, which means short term, and with absolutely nobody to step when his short tenure is over. What happens if Fitz has a good year (last year may have been his best, but for conversations sakes), and he goes elsewhere for more money than Cheap Ralphy will pay him? There is no guarantee there will be a franchise tag, and anyone who would pay Fitz that much anyway is crazy. If he leaves then what do we do? Nobody with a brain can say Fitz is the long term answer with a straight face. I like Fitz but lets be a realist, we aren't going to challenge the Pats or Jets in the AFC East with him at the helm. I guess my point is, when you are one of the 3 or 4 worst teams in the NFL, you can't throw away picks just like you can't ignore a hole at the most important position on the team. There is no guarantee on a quarterback in the draft turning into the QB you need, but if you don't take one, you will never know. Kinda like you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a lottery ticket.

Thanks. That was very illuminating. My point was there is no position on the field called franchise QB. I didn't hear "With the 74th selection in the 2011 draft New England selects Ryan Mallet, franchise QB out of Arkansas." It is an assessment, not a position. And apparently it was not an assessment that Nix or Gailey made. With all of the reaching for QBs in this draft, the ones they liked and that met their criteria best were obviously gone. Drafting a guy that's not what you're looking for just because he's there and ignoring another player you have similarly rated that also fills a need would have been throwing a pick away. Rating a player is not purely on talent alone, busts happen because of work ethic, intelligence/decision making (or lack-thereof) and off-field issues. If the player didn't have the talent to begin with he wouldn't be a bust. These are all issues that have been raised with Mallet, and if he doesn't fit your system (can you see Bledsoe ever fitting what Gailey is doing/has done with his offenses) you don't take him.

Thanks. That was very illuminating. My point was there is no position on the field called franchise QB. I didn't hear "With the 74th selection in the 2011 draft New England selects Ryan Mallet, franchise QB out of Arkansas." It is an assessment, not a position. And apparently it was not an assessment that Nix or Gailey made. With all of the reaching for QBs in this draft, the ones they liked and that met their criteria best were obviously gone. Drafting a guy that's not what you're looking for just because he's there and ignoring another player you have similarly rated that also fills a need would have been throwing a pick away. Rating a player is not purely on talent alone, busts happen because of work ethic, intelligence/decision making (or lack-thereof) and off-field issues. If the player didn't have the talent to begin with he wouldn't be a bust. These are all issues that have been raised with Mallet, and if he doesn't fit your system (can you see Bledsoe ever fitting what Gailey is doing/has done with his offenses) you don't take him.

Its not an assessment NE made either as would't have waited till round 3 for a guy that could be a franchise QB...

Mallet was a legit first round prospect, and under scruitiny he plummeted. I cannot think of any QB who was touted as a first rounder then dropped on draft day to second or third, and ended up being a Franchise QB. I'm interested to hear who i am forgetting about... If Clausen becomes a fanchise QB, we'll talk....

There are plenty of Posters in this thread that I respect a lot, so I'm not going to say too much...But I am surprised there is not more concern about Mallett's upside knowing who just Drafted him...Remember...Belichick was NOT a Bledslow guy...His mentor was...He's the one that would not re-insert him as the Starter when he was healthy, and of coarse the one that Traded Bledslow...Belichick CLEARLY sees something in Mallett if the reports are true and he had Mallett the #1 QB on their Board...No matter what you think about Mallett, I would be a bit concerned knowing BB likes him THAT much...I mean...Sure I hope Mallett totally sucks now...But I am worried longterm...It's not like Belichick has gone easy on us over the past decade or so... B-)

KOK, as always, I greatly respect you & your take. I don't give a damn about any perceived or true character issues here, I just want no part of an immobile statue who single-handedly blows the end of big games. After watching the Alabama & Ohio State games that Arkansas played this year, I had seen enough... far too many memories of the ugly Bledsoe years have left me scarred for life..:(

Then, I read some of the same clowns who defended the Brain Dead One to the bitter end actively campaigning to bring his clone back... WHAT... THE.. :censored:. I just don't have the time or the demeanor these days to go thru all that again, I'd rather just chill.B-)

So I'm more than cool with the way things worked out. I have no doubt that, in the end, Belichick will get more value for him in a trade than the 3rd-round pick he spent here. If that's the case, so be it.. as long as he's not traded here, that is.:D

If that's the case, so be it.. as long as he's not traded here, that is.:D

You never know My Brother... :P

Seriously though good to see your name pop up on Draft Day...I was wondering where You and Pete were when Mallett ran that 5.37... ;)

Talk to you soon My Friend... B-)

It's called not worrying about what you can't control. The Bills can't run its draft worried about what the Pats are going to do. What I really love is how no one EVER questions Belichick's draft record. Everyone is in awe at how he trades his draft picks but no one asks why on earth they drafted 2 RBs or why they took an OT who wasn't even a 1st RD prospect. As for the draft picks all they did is push the same picks forward. When you have their record then I guess you've earned every benefit of the doubt but I don't think they've done dick in this draft, Mallett or not.

PTR

Yeah

You never know My Brother... :P

Seriously though good to see your name pop up on Draft Day...I was wondering where You and Pete were when Mallett ran that 5.37... ;)

Talk to you soon My Friend... B-)

Good to see you too! I don't take anything at the Combine too seriously, good or bad... I just projected what I saw of him playing behind the Bills' never-stellar OL, and saw nothing but disaster.

Its not an assessment NE made either as would't have waited till round 3 for a guy that could be a franchise QB...

Mallet was a legit first round prospect, and under scruitiny he plummeted. I cannot think of any QB who was touted as a first rounder then dropped on draft day to second or third, and ended up being a Franchise QB. I'm interested to hear who i am forgetting about... If Clausen becomes a fanchise QB, we'll talk....

Third rounders don't usually come from guys who fall out of the 1st, but 2nd rounders who were projected as 1sters do. And the best 3rd rounder Joe Montana who wasn't projected as a 1st. Also in 1973 both Dan Fouts & Joe Ferguson were 3rd rounders. Mallett will not be joining them on walls or halls of fame.

Here are projected 1st rounders who fell to the 2nd & were franchise QBs. Not many, but there were some.

Drew Brees (top of 2nd, but still 2nd)

Brett Favre

Boomer Esiason

He ran the worst QB 40 time in 22 years.

Every DLineman in the league is a half second or better faster than him.

Bellicheat is basically going to put Mallet behind max-protect in the preseason every year, see if he can get him to chuck a couple of 40 yard seam passes and then flip this guy for a 2nd round pick in three years.

Do we really want to draft a QB with a possible drinking problem to an area where the bars stay open until 4 AM?

Bars stay open all !@#$ing night in new orleans, and you can drink on teh street in the french quarter...I'm surprised the saints draft anyone!