Nix does not think the Bills’ have as many needs as most think

LGB

Buddy Nix says he does not think the Bills’ have as many needs as most think.

What?!? A perennial sub-500 team under Dick Jauron that regressed the last couple of years does not have many needs?

Is Buddy Nix looking at the same Bills record or body of work that “most” everyone else is?

Year - W - L

2005 - 5 - 11

2006 - 7 - 9

2007 - 7 - 9

2008 - 7 - 9

2009 - 6 - 10

2010 - 4 - 12

C’mon Buddy, we all know that hope springs eternal, but this is a team that competes in the AFC East, not the NFC West.

In this division, you need about 7 more wins a year to just compete for a wild card and until you can put a team on the field that has a clue about stopping Tom Brady and the Patriots, you had better take the blinders off and see what “most” of us are seeing: New England owns Buffalo and with New England's six draft picks in the first three rounds this year, I doubt that they are going to get any weaker.

Optimism is fine, but the proof is in the win/lost column and it would seem that the Bills have a lot to prove.

Actually, I agree with him.

We have a lot of average players, and no depth in some areas. We have lost a few close games the last couple years, and have had pretty difficult schedules.

Does this mean we are a great team? No. But if we add a couple good players at key positions, we'll be pretty good. Instead of needing a complete team replacement.

Example....

Let's say Darius and Merriman work out for us. All of a sudden we stop the run better and get to the QB more often. Which helps out our already ok secondary. We aren't playing from behind as often, so Fitzpatrick can take a few less chances. Our OL continues to solidify (it did OK last year), CJ "gets it" in his second year, Easley, the Nelsons, and Parrish play to their potentials... we have a decent offense. Etc.. See how all of a sudden we become a better team without a bunch of changes?

Obviously this isn't a guarantee of success, but imo, it's easy to see that we aren't too far away. It's just a matter of people playing to their potential, staying healthy, and having depth when injuries do happen.

Edited by Dorkington

We have a lot of average players, and no depth in some areas. We have lost a few close games the last couple years, and have had pretty difficult schedules.

Does this mean we are a great team? No. But if we add a couple good players at key positions, we'll be pretty good. Instead of needing a complete team replacement.

Example....

Let's say Darius and Merriman work out for us. All of a sudden we stop the run better and get to the QB more often. Which helps out our already ok secondary. We aren't playing from behind as often, so Fitzpatrick can take a few less chances. Our OL continues to solidify (it did OK last year), CJ "gets it" in his second year, Easley, the Nelsons, and Parrish play to their potentials... we have a decent offense. Etc.. See how all of a sudden we become a better team without a bunch of changes?

Obviously this isn't a guarantee of success, but imo, it's easy to see that we aren't too far away. It's just a matter of people playing to their potential, staying healthy, and having depth when injuries do happen.

Healthy being the operative word here.

I think you're getting a little too worked up over that statement. Buddy didn't say "we have no holes" -- he said "we have fewer holes." Why make a big deal out of that?

I just hope that the Bills improve on their 4-12 record from last year since the Bills have been turning their coaching staff over every three years, Chan Gailey could already be a third of his way to another coaching carousel exit if there isn’t great improvement this year. Who knows, maybe this will be the year for John McCargo, Aaron Maybin and Kris Kelsey to all go to the Pro Bowl. We can only hope.

I see the Bills as having 3 glaring holes at RT, OLB, and ILB. I hope Nix agrees with me. The good news is that there is still plenty of talent left to find starters at each of these positions.

TE more than ORT and maybe even more that OLB if Merriman and Moats work out.

Healthy being the operative word here.

Very much agreed. I think we have a solid "base" to work from, just add a few pieces, and we can start moving up...

But likely is, we'll get injuries, players will under perform, and we'll go through the same dance next year. :(

I think you have to take it from two perspectives. I think the Bills have more talent that the media types give them credit for since the Bills are a small market team. For example, how many times have we heard about left tackle and quarterback being the Bills biggest needs.

On the other hand, I think the fans on this board can be overly critical of the team. For example, how many Bills fans do not believe Whitner even deserves a spot of the team?

Example....

I agree. Great reply post. We have too many guys that COULD be really good players IF things just come into place.

Batten

Spiller

Moats

Merriman

Bell

Easley

Nelson

Jones

Maybin (I know. I thought this would make everyone lol, but truth is he COULD still be good enough at least to play)

Troupe

Carrington

Coleman

Even Johnson because we don't know if what were getting is what he did last year or if he only scratched the surface of his potential.

Many what if's on this team. But if even 50% of them contribute on a regular basis were already miles ahead of where we were last year.

Just saying

Edited by mrags

I agree. Great reply post. We have too many guys that COULD be really good players IF things just come into place.

Batten

Spiller

Moats

Merriman

Bell

Easley

Nelson

Jones

Maybin (I know. I thought this would make everyone lol, but truth is he COULD still be good enough at least to play)

Troupe

Carrington

Coleman

Even Johnson because we don't know if what were getting is what he did last year or if he only scratched the surface of his potential.

Many what if's on this team. But if even 50% of them contribute on a regular basis were already miles ahead of where we were last year.

Just saying

You lost all credibility when you threw Maybin's name into the mix. I have a better chance at performing autofellatio than Maybin has of making the 2011 roster.

Edited by DML2005

I think you have to take it from two perspectives. I think the Bills have more talent that the media types give them credit for since the Bills are a small market team. For example, how many times have we heard about left tackle and quarterback being the Bills biggest needs.

On the other hand, I think the fans on this board can be overly critical of the team. For example, how many Bills fans do not believe Whitner even deserves a spot of the team?

There are a few examples that don't make sense in terms of players drafted high that do not perform as expected (or don't even see the playing field like Maybin and McCargo), but other players are just plain overpaid for how they produce (e.g. Lee Evans). Add to that injuries that occur and it makes being competitive with a chance for the playoffs pretty difficult.