Tornado outbreak

kegtapr

Unreal...when I saw the graphical breakdown of the tornadoes on the news last night, I truly freaked. I've never EVER seen anything like that, let alone be in the midst of it.

Glad ur okay, man...I know exactly what you mean when you mention the frayed nerves. I went from being annoyed that they were interrupting my tv shows with weather updates to feeling completely unnerved that so many systems were heading at me at once. I honestly have never heard of a single tornado being a mile wide...that is absolutely horrifying. When I saw the pics coming in of the destruction, it really hit me. I had the mattress and some couch cushions ready to take into the bathtub on a moment's notice, and my dogs were really acting on edge. Thankfully the two systems that were headed right toward me missed above and below my apartment complex.

And I'm with you on the prayers going out to those who were not as fortunate as we were...that death toll keeps rising :cry:

i was actually glad when we lost cable about 10 minutes before the storm hit full on. i knew it was likely to be bad- i really didn't need to know anymore. the tv weathermen were overwhelmed and that made it worse. weather.com was next to useless for me. i hope they fix the cable for tonights tv event but it's rightfully a pretty low priority right now. there are many without power or even roofs.

my dogs seemed blissfully unaware sleeping next to us in the basement. strange as they usually freak out over normal thunder storms.

Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 dead and several children missing about 15 miles north of us on interstate 81. the storm eerily followed the highway and turned over big rig trucks are everywhere. a truck stop was leveled with a truck thrown through the attached restaruant. many folks are in a state of shock. my partner had every tree on his property uprooted but everyone's ok. we spent the night in the basement and had little damage except lost shingles, downed branches and frayed nerves. my old time patients who have lived here all their lives say they've never witnessed anything like it. i thank God for my family's safety today and pray for those not as lucky up the road.

Yeesh, did they find the missing children?? :unsure: The videos I'm seeing online are unreal. Crazy stuff. :ph34r:

This is truly tragic. The storms just cleared the coast here. We were under a tornado warning for awhile as one was spotted on the ground about 10 miles from here. Clear skies now windows are open and the temp dropped about 20 degrees.

I'll take our snow in Buffalo, thank you very much.

With pleasure! Enjoy!

Just don't forget you must deal with inhuman cold 3 months a year; life threatening driving conditions 4 months a year; many deaths due to heart attacks shoveling 100" of snow/year; no sunshine days for half the year. Yeah, a real dream environment..:rolleyes:

Yeesh, did they find the missing children?? :unsure: The videos I'm seeing online are unreal. Crazy stuff. :ph34r:

they've thankfully dropped the death toll to 4 now. search and rescue continued into last night. not sure if ongoing today. haven't heard any more about missing children so i assume they've been found. on a positive note, it's great to see the communities come together to help neighbors.

With pleasure! Enjoy!

Just don't forget you must deal with inhuman cold 3 months a year; life threatening driving conditions 4 months a year; many deaths due to heart attacks shoveling 100" of snow/year; no sunshine days for half the year. Yeah, a real dream environment..:rolleyes:

Inhuman cold if you're a wuss, life threatening driving condition if you don't know how to drive - I'm sure there are less life threatening accidents anyway and more fender benders because of the snow, deaths to heart attacks from shoveling happen all over.......Read the sunshine derby on the News weather page. We have a lot of sunny days.

You can have your rainy winters - just what I need - late March/early April conditions for 3-4 months, your super oppressive summers. All you have is a better spring. Well, that and natural disasters coming out the a$$. Nobody dies here from the weather. If you die from a heart attack shoveling, I think that was going to happen sooner than later anyway.

Inhuman cold if you're a wuss, life threatening driving condition if you don't know how to drive - I'm sure there are less life threatening accidents anyway and more fender benders because of the snow, deaths to heart attacks from shoveling happen all over.......Read the sunshine derby on the News weather page. We have a lot of sunny days.

You can have your rainy winters - just what I need - late March/early April conditions for 3-4 months, your super oppressive summers. All you have is a better spring. Well, that and natural disasters coming out the a$$. Nobody dies here from the weather. If you die from a heart attack shoveling, I think that was going to happen sooner than later anyway.

:lol:

Spoken like a WNYer who's never lived anywhere else. Sunshine Derby has to be the biggest crock-0-shiite data scoring org ever. Too bad youz guyz will never understand how lame that defense sounds. 1 minute of a sunbeam breaking through thick gray clouds a day does NOT equate to a sunny day! -just a day someone glimpsed sunshine.. Human temp: 98.6 degrees -therefore a tolerable temp. 3 weeks straight of sub-zero temps and 5 months straight of sub-40 drgrees is inhuman. Even native Americans knew enough to get the eff out by late October. WNY drivers breathe a sigh of relief when they see wet roads ahead vs. the typical dangerous ice and snow covered roads forced on them. The rest of the country SLOW DOWN on wet roads. Prop your area all you want, but here's a reality check: Virtually no one moves to WNY by choice. Egress there is one way -OUT! The overwhelming majority would rather take their chances with an arbitrary, quick strike inclement weather region, than the known half year of crap-mess that is WNY.

Spoken like a WNYer who's never lived anywhere else. Sunshine Derby has to be the biggest crock-0-shiite data scoring org ever. Too bad youz guyz will never understand how lame that defense sounds. 1 minute of a sunbeam breaking through thick gray clouds a day does NOT equate to a sunny day! -just a day someone glimpsed sunshine.. Human temp: 98.6 degrees -therefore a tolerable temp. 3 weeks straight of sub-zero temps and 5 months straight of sub-40 drgrees is inhuman. Even native Americans knew enough to get the eff out by late October. WNY drivers breathe a sigh of relief when they see wet roads ahead vs. the typical dangerous ice and snow covered roads forced on them. The rest of the country SLOW DOWN on wet roads. Prop your area all you want, but here's a reality check: Virtually no one moves to WNY by choice. Egress there is one way -OUT! The overwhelming majority would rather take their chances with an arbitrary, quick strike inclement weather region, than the known half year of crap-mess that is WNY.

Wrong again - 50% of the day has to be sunny to included as a + day for the sunshine derby.............Spoken like a WNYer who's never had any friends here, so got out as soon as possible.

Guess what - I have a millionaire friend, who just moved back to WNY after living all over the country for 25 years. He will now never move again. The path goes both ways. If you still have friends here.

Most people move because of jobs, not the weather.

Best summers in the country, real winters - not your rain soaked gray winters - bright sunny snowy winters with skiing and all kinds of fun, if you're not a wuss, awesome falls (granted not long enough) and now it seems pretty crappy springs (except last year).

Wherever you live, I'm sure you have unbearable summers, rainy crappy winters, maybe an OK fall, and a very nice spring. So, I'd only want three of your months and I'd want 9 of ours.

Oh, and you can keep all your natural disasters. Have fun in your tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, whatever you have going on this week.

You live in Chattanooga, TN & your making fun of Buffalo. Man you got alot of nerve. Enjoy your next flash flood.

You live in Chattanooga, TN & your making fun of Buffalo. Man you got alot of nerve. Enjoy your next flash flood.

Flash Floods? Oh, you mean like your cellar EVERY YEAR?

You still have snow on the ground from last October -when the sun last broke through. Maybe by June it'll finally make it to your basement..

Then again, maybe it will never thaw..

they've thankfully dropped the death toll to 4 now. search and rescue continued into last night. not sure if ongoing today. haven't heard any more about missing children so i assume they've been found. on a positive note, it's great to see the communities come together to help neighbors.

bird, where do you live.?

I traveled thru soutwestern VA on Thursday, had appointments in Abingdon VA. All I can say is wow, the devastation was unreal right on 81 at mile marker 29. Took me three hrs to go 3 miles, steaming the whole way as I was going to be late for my meeting...and with it maybe a big commission. Then to get where the damage was, whole different perspective on being cranky over a little inconvenience. Folks down that way said they never thought a twister could hit there, the mountains would not let it happen...

Tuscaloosa leveled, Birmingham with possibly a severe hit by a wedge. Bad day to live in the south. It's going to be a very sad morning when the fatalities come to light.

I'm a weather junkie and watch the coverage every year, and this is historic.

Worst tornado outbreak I've seen in my 50+ years, and that includes the great outbreak of 1974...