All Newton all the time

RichardBag

Contrary to popular opinion, I believe that the quickest way to improve the Bills' win loss record is to focus on offense. The offense if further along and has more weapons than the D, plus the league itself is more oriented towards offense than defense (especially the passing game).

That doesn't mean the Bills should ignore the D (they need to improve it for the long term health of the franchise) but since the D has more holes, more question marks it's going to be harder (if not impossible) to fix it this off season. Even if the off season is longer than normal. If you want to jump from 4 wins to 8 or 9 quickly, go Offense.

Improving the offense doesn't come from drafting a "project" QB. Draft D!!!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Chan and Nix believe this guy is the next McNabb or better, then by all means take him at #3. Just make sure you also address the OT needs and focus the rest on Defense. Can you imagine a solid OLine with Newton and Spiller back there for the next 10 years. Gailey can truly revolutionize the NFL offense to properly showcase the athletic QBs in this league. Hopefully we address TE in FA and if dreams do come true, we can also bring in the CB from the Raiders...

POW!!!

Agreed with all of this (I struck the FA part because its not part of what Im commenting on).

I also think that if we were to draft Newton, in a couple years as the Bills are on the brink of being a special team, we could easily lure a coach such as Jon Gruden to the team. Gruden has said that when he returns to the NFL, he plans to be the first coach to run the spread offense. We'd have the offense most suited for it already. This plan just works on so many levels. Just a matter of getting the FO and players to execute...

Contribute to what exactly? Do you think we are making the playoffs this year? Shot at the championship?

Why is everyone concerned about "contributing right away" when 1. We're in the middle of a multi-year rebuild, and 2. QBs generally do not contribute right away, and we need a new QB???

Do you really feel like this team is ONE first round rookie away from doing something big?

You are right about that! We're probably about 5+ impact rookies and a couple good free agents away from becoming a potential playoff team...and maybe that is a kind assesment! Definitely need to upgrade the Defensive line (probably 2 impact players away..) A QB (That's a given..) (One maybe two Offensive line...Definitely RT and probably LT as well..)So already there is 5 players...probably another veteran FA WR even though we're improving at that position...and I'm not quite sure we're okay at RB for more than a year or so with Fred Jackson starting to age....possible FA acquisition? That doesn't address other needs including LB which is crucial...and the CB positon can go either way at the moment. Not to mention that although of minor importance the kicking game isn't what it once was and we may need to look at that soon even if it seems trivial.

Last year I said that we would not likely win more than 5 games! I got a lot of flak about that prediction when others were saying 8-8, 7-9, 10-6...u know the usual stuff..(I used to as well..) but with the defensive philosophy changine, new coaches (some inexperienced at the positon), new 3-4 defense that appears to be headed for hybirdcy (new word..lol)..It was exactly what it was and what I thought it would be..! I think this year the best potential record based on purging some of the non-desired players from the roster..(Aaron Maybin still here?? why??)finding out exactly who we want to keep and we're we need to focus on the draft and free agency..based on that and many other factors I'm going to 7-9 (if there is a 16 game season that is..) as next years prediction! (I know it's early, but this isn't rocket science..lol)

2012...If we draft better than last year and address positional needs in the draft I think we are looking at 9 or 10 wins and in the running for (yes...the magic word...PLAYOFFS!) All this is a long ways off, but if you are not thinking about the future then you are in idle!

To say we can draft Newton because we are a few years out of the playoffs is silly.

What makes us a few years away from the playoffs is drafting impact players , quality mid-grade backups and playmakers, and depth in the draft. If we waste every early pick on RB's, QB's, and DB's passing up on the things that we need then we are in trouble. Do we really need a roster of Maybin's, Spiller's, David Nelson's, Dwan Edwards?

The reason we could be a few years away from the playoffs is because we have the opportunity to draft early. Most "experts" say that Fitz will start 2011 and probably all of 2012 and do not expect Newton to be ready in that time.

In my opinion we cannot afford to get a QB, but I promise you one of the first 3 picks will be a QB and it won't be Denver. When the fall-off from the higher tiered QB's and the lower rated QB's is as small as it is I think it is in our best interest to wait until later. We do not need an Aaron Maybin at QB - a "potential" superstar waiting in the wings to show us how amazing he is once he develops. Players drafted in the top 5 are not players who should be sitting on the bench for two years.

To say we can draft Newton because we are a few years out of the playoffs is silly.

What makes us a few years away from the playoffs is drafting impact players , quality mid-grade backups and playmakers, and depth in the draft. If we waste every early pick on RB's, QB's, and DB's passing up on the things that we need then we are in trouble. Do we really need a roster of Maybin's, Spiller's, David Nelson's, Dwan Edwards?

The reason we could be a few years away from the playoffs is because we have the opportunity to draft early. Most "experts" say that Fitz will start 2011 and probably all of 2012 and do not expect Newton to be ready in that time.

In my opinion we cannot afford to get a QB, but I promise you one of the first 3 picks will be a QB and it won't be Denver. When the fall-off from the higher tiered QB's and the lower rated QB's is as small as it is I think it is in our best interest to wait until later. We do not need an Aaron Maybin at QB - a "potential" superstar waiting in the wings to show us how amazing he is once he develops. Players drafted in the top 5 are not players who should be sitting on the bench for two years.

I fully believe that if we were to draft Newton, Gailey could have him contributing in a limited role by week 8 of this season. Much like Tebow in Denver who would come in for certain situations. And Newton is much farther along as an NFL QB than even Tebow.

No one is saying Newton would have to sit for two years. I personally have said that he can sit this year "if he needs it".

The Bills need a real QB. We currently have the perfect situation to draft a QB into. We could do a lot worse. QBs are not the same type of "wasted" position as RBs and DBs. QBs arent a dime-a-dozen in the later rounds like those other perimeter players.

Much like Tebow in Denver who would come in for certain situations.

@ 4-12 he contributed a lot. :nana:

And Newton is much farther along as an NFL QB than even Tebow.

Hard to really say that is true or not...

Tebow

3x SEC 1st team

2x SEC champion

2x BCS championship (against harder teams, too)

AP player of the year

2x All America Team

1x 2nd Team All America

1x NCAA QB of the year

1x Heisman Trophy Winner (2 other times finalist)

1x Campbell Trophy

2x Maxwell Award

1x AP Player of the Year

Sports Illustrated's college player of the decade

Newton:

1x AP Player of Year

1x Camp Award

1x Maxwell Award

1x O'Brien Award

1x Heisman Trophy Winner

1x BCS Champion (...technically, it's 2 but since he only played limitted time as a backup in the opener you cannot seriously count it)

1x WeTallDead/NJCAA College Champion

1x Manning Award

Yup...those three years of experience that Tebow had in the toughest division in the NCAA really do not say much, and those awards?! Who cares! Cam Newton won the Juco Championship.

Tebow was a lot farther along then Newton.

Edited by jboyst62

...irrelevant list...

Tebow was a lot farther along then Newton.

Tebow had a lot more accomplished in college than Newton. But that is not even close to what we're talking about.

Compare Newton's throwing/passing ability with Tebow's, even RIGHT NOW. Tebow is still working hard at removing that ridiculous throwing motion. One that most people agree will get him killed back there. All Newton has to work on is his footwork. (They both have to work at understanding Professional Offenses and Defenses)

Newton is much farther along as a passer, than Tebow is, even right now.

Edited by DrDankenstein

I fully believe that if we were to draft Newton, Gailey could have him contributing in a limited role by week 8 of this season. Much like Tebow in Denver who would come in for certain situations. And Newton is much farther along as an NFL QB than even Tebow.

No one is saying Newton would have to sit for two years. I personally have said that he can sit this year "if he needs it".

The Bills need a real QB. We currently have the perfect situation to draft a QB into. We could do a lot worse. QBs are not the same type of "wasted" position as RBs and DBs. QBs arent a dime-a-dozen in the later rounds like those other perimeter players.

In a limited role I would hope week 1.

In a limited role I would hope week 1.

I think making improvement in the overall Team is the biggest priority. To do that, theyre going to have to start Fitz from week 1. Let the team and offense get established before throwing in the wild card. Then when the game plan fits, work Newton in.

Hey, if Newton is ready, then by all means use him as early as possible.

My point is that, given the perfect situation, we arent in the same spot the Rams were last year where they had to say "Welp, this might break him, but we have to throw the kid in". We have the luxury of a good veteran QB on the roster (this year).

Edited by DrDankenstein

I think making improvement in the overall Team is the biggest priority. To do that, theyre going to have to start Fitz from week 1. Let the team and offense get established before throwing in the wild card. Then when the game plan fits, work Newton in.

Hey, if Newton is ready, then by all means use him as early as possible.

My point is that, given the perfect situation, we arent in the same spot the Rams were last year where they had to say "Welp, this might break him, but we have to throw the kid in". We have the luxury of a good veteran QB on the roster (this year).

Limited role means...well limited. If he's the pick...Give him 2-4 plays that he's ready to run week 1 and expand on it each week adding more plays and options off previous plays. Expand his playing time based on game situations and his grasp of 'his' offense. I say 'his' offense because it will be different from Fitzgibbon's offense.

Limited role means...well limited. If he's the pick...Give him 2-4 plays that he's ready to run week 1 and expand on it each week adding more plays and options off previous plays. Expand his playing time based on game situations and his grasp of 'his' offense. I say 'his' offense because it will be different from Fitzgibbon's offense.

I dont disagree with that at all. IF Gailey feels its the right thing to do. Personally, Id love to see it.

Again, my point is that we have options and arent stuck with any bad situation.

Tebow had a lot more accomplished in college than Newton. But that is not even close to what we're talking about.

Compare Newton's throwing/passing ability with Tebow's, even RIGHT NOW. Tebow is still working hard at removing that ridiculous throwing motion. One that most people agree will get him killed back there. All Newton has to work on is his footwork. (They both have to work at understanding Professional Offenses and Defenses)

Newton is much farther along as a passer, than Tebow is, even right now.

I fully agree that Tebow has a bad throwing motion but I balance that same negative factor out when looking at Newtons legs. Every time I have seen him throw in draft prep he looks like a board. In the games it did not look that bad but now I am doubting that - maybe everything around him clouded my view?

Tebow has shown the ability to make decisions and move the ball around quite a bit better then Newton - the problem is that neither are that good at it. Newton is further along as a passer but Tebow is further along as a QB in my opinion.

I used to the accolades to give an idea that he has more experience and you would have to assume that he is going to be able to handle coaching and be able to succeed on multiple levels. I was never a fan of Tebow but I would definately be curious as to which QB most teams would take...so I ask:

In the same draft in your mock team needing a QB, who would take Tebow or who would take Newton?

:bag: unless :bag: he :bag: sucks :bag:

That can't happen...he won a JuCo championship.

In the same draft in your mock team needing a QB, who would take Tebow or who would take Newton?

Are you saying that you think if Newton and Tebow were in the same draft, you think Tebow would be ranked higher?

Interesting opinion but I don't think it would be consensus. I would think that the guy that can actually throw the ball would be ranked higher than the guy that most thought would have to play H-Back to make it in the NFL. No one is talking about Newton playing H-Back today (or really ever).

Edited by Why So Serious?

Anyone who compares Vince Young and Cam Newton is beyond hopeless, has no clue, doesn't understand the football he watches, and should be passed over whenever he tries to post "analysis" of something he does not understand.

Cam Newton isn't smart, but he is smart enough to be a QB. He has a great arm (something Vince Young never had). Unlike JaMarcus, Cam is infinitely passionate about football, obsessed. Is Cam's dad worrisome? Yes, but the dad doesn't get the contract... Didn't Cam cheat at UF? Do you think Carl Johnson with his combine low Wonderlic Score of 6 isn't cheating at UF??? Everyone on UF cheats, or has the option to... that's why they are forced to play one game every year with the average letter grade on the helmet.

Cam beat more top teams last year than Ben Roethlisberger played against in four at Miami-OH. Indeed, Auburn won games in different styles against different top teams. When Georgia took away the pass, Auburn ran. When Bama took away the run, Cam unleashed some of the best big game deep throws ever recorded on film.

Cam's offense at Auburn had Cam and...

a traditionally stiff "run blocking" Auburn OL

a good freshman tailback

some speed at WR but "inconsistent" hands (that dropped a bunch right between them)

but as far as top talent, Auburn's offense was Cam and almost exclusively Cam.

Who knew Cam at UF?

A: the coach at Miss State, which clearly wanted Cam

What did Cam do after being kicked out of UF?

A: he went to a JC and won the title

and then?

A) he didn't lose for Auburn...

Cam's response to being stuck on UF and "caught cheating" was to go to two different schools and win championships both times. Cam is not a quitter like Jamarcus. Cam has a real NFL arm unlike Vince Young.

Now, for the Bills, the question is... what does Cam look like in the VERY COLD... and to observe that for the first time, we could take him right now to Antarctica for a "Pro Day workout..."

You need to be careful, you do not want the front office you work in to find out that you're sharing secrets with us. I mean, this stuff right here is top notch inside info that I do not think anyone has discussed...EVER. I cannot even imagine stuff like this coming up in the All Newton thread. You better be careful and thankful you have a job, though! So many don't, and as the professional scout you must be I would hate to give that up for some silly website...but thank you! Thank you for your sacrafice.