All Newton all the time

RichardBag

Is that what you really took from my post? :doh:

Of course a rookie will need to be coached up, but if the guy doesn't have a certain feel for the position, he can work with the coaching staff 24/7 and still fail.

I was just trying to point out that many people like Newton because he's an amazing athlete but not many here can claim that he can play with the instincts and anticipation required for the position. I think it is very hard to project Newton's passing ability to the pros, he threw to a lot open and stationatry recevier at Auburn. The data to really study his game is incomplete and by drafting him you're making a huge leap of faith he can be an effective passer in the NFL.

In a league that features the pass more and more, we're debating about bringing a guy with only 280 passing attempts against tough competition.

The kid dominated college football last year. He reminds me a lot of Randall Cunningham. If you don't take him because it's a small sample then you run the risk of passing over a potential franchise QB. Which is more risky? Taking Newton or passing over him? When it comes down to the 3rd overall pick, it's go big or go home. If Newton's there, you almost have to take him if he's got that "greatness/game changing" potential.

If they do take him, the Bills offense becomes less about the "classic" pocket passer and more about improvisation...like Cunningham, Flutie, even Rothlesberger to some degree. Think about this, if you were a defensive coordinator, who'd you rather face on a 3rd and goal at the 5 yard line? Newton or Gabbert? That factor alone gives Cam Newton a huge edge. Also, take a look at these interesting stats...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/19015/by-the-numbers-newton-vs-gabbert

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The kid dominated college football last year. He reminds me a lot of Randall Cunningham. If you don't take him because it's a small sample then you run the risk of passing over a potential franchise QB. Which is more risky? Taking Newton or passing over him? When it comes down to the 3rd overall pick, it's go big or go home. If Newton's there, you almost have to take him if he's got that "greatness/game changing" potential.

If they do take him, the Bills offense becomes less about the "classic" pocket passer and more about improvisation...like Cunningham, Flutie, even Rothlesberger to some degree. Think about this, if you were a defensive coordinator, who'd you rather face on a 3rd and goal at the 5 yard line? Newton or Gabbert? That factor alone gives Cam Newton a huge edge. Also, take a look at these interesting stats...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/19015/by-the-numbers-newton-vs-gabbert

Improvisation: reacting and doing things when things don't go as planned

I want Newton running/improvising when he can't make plays with his head and arm first. I want Newton improvising after going through his progression and nothing is there. If he does one read and takes off, he will be eaten alive, DCs will notice and won't be doing much damage with his legs. If you plan him to run, you won't have a lasting QB, you will have a banged up RB that can throw.

I just would like to know if he can be a functional NFL passer, if he is then his game will be really dangerous but if Nix and Gailey don't see that in him I don't want them to draft him out of fear of what could be. They should act with conviction.

I'm trying not to get too hung up on the possibility of Newton because I think he's going to the #1 pick whether it's the Panthers or a team that moves up to get him.

This Blaine Gabbert being thought of as a #1 overall pick is league smokescreens. I have a feeling that of the Bengals, Cardinals, 49ers, Cowboys (I could see them trading away the disappointing Romo), Vikings, or Dolphins (am I missing anybody?) one will make a blockbuster trade up to get Newton.

Edited by 1billsfan

Improvisation: reacting and doing things when things don't go as planned

I want Newton running/improvising when he can't make plays with his head and arm first. I want Newton improvising after going through his progression and nothing is there. If he does one read and takes off, he will be eaten alive, DCs will notice and won't be doing much damage with his legs. If you plan him to run, you won't have a lasting QB, you will have a banged up RB that can throw.

I just would like to know if he can be a functional NFL passer, if he is then his game will be really dangerous but if Nix and Gailey don't see that in him I don't want them to draft him out of fear of what could be. They should act with conviction.

The worry, that he will pull the ball down and run all time in the NFL is strange imo. If Chan says, don't run. I think Cam won't run.

His rushing in college is

1.) not representative of his decision making.

(His coaches at Auburn encouraged this, "If its not there run"

2.) not representation of his throwing ability.

(anyone that actually watched the games he played in and thinks he doesn't have a NFL arm, Accuracy, or throwing motion, are Blind, deaf and or dumb)

Steve McNair had 1000 yards rushing in college at he turned out to be a great NFL QB.

Ben Roethlisberger is a master of improvisation.

If Cam Newton can be 75% as successful as either of those QBs its a no-brainer at #3.

The two Big concern is footwork, and taking snaps under center imo

Probably the Two most coach-able parts of being QB not to mention that taking snaps under center on passing dows is becoming more and more rare in the college game.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Interesting article.

In 2010, 37.5 percent of all NFL throws were from the shotgun. ... The bottom line: Cam Newton keeps getting criticized as a quarterback who isn't familiar with the pro game. Meanwhile, the pro game is busy adjusting to what Newton is most familiar with

The worry, that he will pull the ball down and run all time in the NFL is strange imo. If Chan says, don't run. I think Cam won't run.

His rushing in college is

1.) not representative of his decision making.

(His coaches at Auburn encouraged this, "If its not there run"

2.) not representation of his throwing ability.

(anyone that actually watched the games he played in and things he doesn't think he has an NFL arm, Accuracy, or throwing motion, are Blind, deaf and or dumb)

Steve McNair had 1000 yards rushing in college at he turned out to be a great NFL QB.

Ben Roethlisberger is a master of improvisation.

If Cam Newton can be 75% as successful as either of those QBs its a no-brainer at #3.

Having great mechanics and great throwing arm are not representative of being a good QB.

Was the Auburn offense representative of Newton limits as a QB? Can he handle more responsabilities as a signal caller? If the answer is yes, why didn't they ask more from him, and if the answer is no, do you want that guy as the leader of your team?

Well, at least you're being original. Newton has been compared to a lot of QBs, but Rob Johnson? Really? There is no element of their games that are the same. None.

I wonder what's next? He has already been compared to every black QB who has ever failed. Now being compared to random former Bills QB's? :lol:

I wonder what's next? He has already been compared to every black QB who has ever failed. Now being compared to random former Bills QB's? :lol:

I had to read it a few times to see if it was sarcastic. And it might be (?). If so, well done! :lol:

Having great mechanics and great throwing arm are not representative of being a good QB.

Was the Auburn offense representative of Newton limits as a QB? Can he handle more responsabilities as a signal caller? If the answer is yes, why didn't they ask more from him, and if the answer is no, do you want that guy as the leader of your team?

When you'RE WINNING (C Sheeen) you don't need to do much else! Undefeated...... However, when he was called to do more he did......uh WINNER!!!

Correct but its a good start, when looking at a prospect.

Was the Auburn offense representative of Newton limits as a QB?

No. The Auburn offense was representative of a modern college offense and Gene Chizik & Gus Malzahn's offensive philosophy.

Can he handle more responsabilities as a signal caller? If the answer is yes, why didn't they ask more from him, and if the answer is no, do you want that guy as the leader of your team?

More responsibility?

You might not realize this but Auburn's job is not to develop Cam Newton. Auburn's job is to win games.

I'm thinking that Cam's 30 passing TDs, 20 Rushing TDs, and 1 Receiving TD while averaging over 5 yards a carry in an undefeated National Championship season, was all the responsibility Cam needed to have in Auburn's eyes.

Edited by Why So Serious?

WHOA! :w00t: ... That's a new one, but atleast you went so far left I don't think no one will catch this... Plus you choice a white QB, so yea nobody gonna agree with you... But nice thought...LOL...

If you don't think that no one will catch this does that mean that you do think that everyone will catch this?

1) Who cares what he did in college? I wish people would stop bringing up his college and JUCO accomplishments as an argument because it means NOTHING. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan. Did they do anything special in college? I am pretty sure that Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, all accomplished more in their college careers.

2) That's not what you want from a QB. This is why Cunningham and Flutie never amounted to anything in the NFL. This is what you want from an NFL QB? Vick didn't do sht until he became more of a pocket passer. Prime example of why pocket passers will always succeed over others. Roethlisberger is a pocket passer first so dont include him in the conversations of scrambler.

3) Who would you be more afraid of. Vince Young, Tim Tebow, or Vick in his Atlanta years at the 5 yd line. Or Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees? I'd be more worried about the guys that can actually THROW the ball.

Get a clue. :rolleyes:

Edited by DreReed83

1) Who cares what he did in college? I wish people would stop bringing up his college and JUCO accomplishments as an argument because it means NOTHING. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan. Did they do anything special in college? I am pretty sure that Matt Leinart, Jamarcus Russell, Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, all accomplished more in their college careers.

2) That's not what you want from a QB. This is why Cunningham and Flutie never amounted to anything in the NFL. This is what you want from an NFL QB? Vick didn't do sht until he became more of a pocket passer. Prime example of why pocket passers will always succeed over others. Roethlisberger is a pocket passer first so dont include him in the conversations of scrambler.

3) Who would you be more afraid of. Vince Young, Tim Tebow, or Vick in his Atlanta years at the 5 yd line. Or Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Drew Brees? I'd be more worried about the guys that can actually THROW the ball.

Get a clue. :rolleyes:

Tell Gil Brandt to get a clue too...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/08/newtons-pro-day-shows-why-he-should-go-no-1/?module=News_CP

I wouldn't worry too much, because the Panthers will end up picking him.