Vince Young

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People look at VYs stats and forget what he can do for his entire team. When he is in the plays calls include lots of bootlegs and roll outs and mis directions. That slows down the backside pursuit of the backside defenders, because they need to honor vince running the other way. What happens when defenders are jsut a half step slower because of that threat? Chris Johnson runs for 2000 yards and breaks the NFL record for yards from scrimmage. If you think the two are unrealated then you are a silly pants.

He has always been a low percentage, his reward passer, even in college. That has its downside and upside, but he is a lot better than people give him credit for, I assume because of the melt downs and stuff. I would welcome him to the roster, he is sure better than Brohm and Levi. We go 0-16 if Fitz goes down in week 3 of last season, and go 0-16 if we lose Fitz week 1 of this season, and dont add a QB.

Honestly it's not even worth explaining to some of these airheads how Vince Young is such a low risk high reward type of guy and how he could help this team out. I don't want to waste a stupid top 34 pick on a QB that will have to wait to start and win anyway, especially when there is ZERO sure fire Sam Bradfords or Matt Ryans. Next year there will be three guys coming out that will be better than ANY QB in this draft. I would rather pick up VY. Have him compete with Fitz and see where we are next year when there is better talent out there on the board. People who want Gabbert or Newton are just wanting A NEW shiny toy that's just going to break on them. Quit being so naive.

New Titans Head Coach Mike Munchak reiterated yesterday that Vince Young would not be returning to the Titans. Munchak was on Fisher's staff so he knew what the problems were with Young and the organization.

The fact that Munchak is not receptive to trying to salvage Vince Young's career is another flag on Young.

On the other hand, depending on what it would take to acquire him (he might be released and there might be a free agent bidding war for him or not…or Young might have trade value), I would not be opposed to the Bills bringing him in for a visit.

Before I argue for Young, I have to state that the comparisons stylistically or otherwise, of Cam Newton or Vince Young to JaMarcus Russell are ridiculous. Newton and Young share strong similarities while Russell is quite a different player.

In 3 seasons at LSU, JaMarcus Russell rushed for a total of 142 yards. In his career he had 4 TD runs.

Both Newton and Young rushed for over 1000 yards in every one of their college seasons as starters. Young had 26 rushing TDs over two seasons while Newton had 20 rushing TDs in 2010.

JaMarcus Russell was a dropback QB at LSU.

Both Newton and Young operated primarily out of the shotgun.

Young's W-L record as an NFL starter is 30-17 (.638). Russell's record as an NFL starter is 7-18 (.280).

In arguing for Vince Young, who's to say that the highs and lows of his NFL career haven't been a humbling and learning experience for him?

In spite of all the drama that's centered around Young, the one thing he has consistently done is win football games.

Is it that hard to believe that he would have a chip on his shoulder and be much more motivated to resurrect his career now that he's being thrown on the scrap heap by Tennessee?

Young has played in the Pro Bowl twice. In 2006, he was the NFL's Offensive rookie of the Year. In 2009, he was Sporting News Comeback Player of the Year.

At Texas, he led the Longhorns to the Rose Bowl National Championship victory over USC…breaking the the Trojans 34-game winning streak and winning game MVP honors with 267 yards passing, 200 yards rushing and 3 TDs including the game winner.

Vince Young remains one of the most talented football players anywhere in football. Even based solely on his college career, he's way more proven than Cam Newton who started at the BCS level for only one year. Young's career as a starter at Texas was 30-2 (.938).

In his last 8 seasons (college and pro) Young's record as the starting quarterback is 60-19 (.759).

Comparing Young and Newton, it can be stated unequivocally that an NFL team can win with Vince Young but that he has character concerns.

It can also be stated that Cam Newton was a talented college player with character concerns…and that it's up for debate whether he can win in the NFL.

I remember a lot of people saying that Michael Vick would not be able to resurrect his career. A lot of people are saying the same thing about Vince Young. It's actually ridiculous.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I know i know, questions about his character and leadership are valid. But with that being said, "Vince Young finished his Titans career with a 30-17 record (63.8%) over five years. During that span, the Titans compiled a record of 15-18 (45.5%) without Young." The guy wins football games pretty much 2 to 1. And the same team is 500 without him. I dont care what u think about him u cannot argue those stats. It is getting close to 2 decades without a winning QB here in Buffalo. Also i big reason on why Young makes sense is it gives us the flexibility to draft two top defensive prospects.

Preference for a QB starts in this order...

Newton @3

Mallet @34

or Vince Young in FA

He's toxic. But I'd take him on as a backup/gimmick QB , kinda like Brad Smith of the Jets, thats it.

He's toxic. But I'd take him on as a backup/gimmick QB , kinda like Brad Smith of the Jets, thats it.

Funny thing is, it's always reported that Vince Young is popular in the locker room.

In addition, teammates (Chris Johnson, Steven Tulloch) have recently gone on the record in support of bringing Young back.

He apparently was toxic to members of the coaching staff but not necessarily all of his teammates.

BTW, what was the worst thing that Young has done in his NFL career? The only thing I can remember is this:

"On September 9, 2008, a distraught Vince Young left his home without his cell phone. The reasons given were that Young was upset over being booed by fans after throwing a second interception against the visiting Jacksonville Jaguars the previous day and the sprained medial collateral ligament in his left knee suffered four plays after head coach Jeff Fisher prodded him back into the game. Young postponed a doctor's examination until the following day. After speaking to members of Young's family, Fisher called Nashville police. After a four-hour search, they found Young, who agreed to meet with Fisher and police at the team's training facility.

Vince Young's agent, Major Adams, told ESPN reporter George Smith that he did not know why the story had taken on a life of its own, and stated that the incident was "blown out of proportion" and called any perceived depression or emotional problems suffered by his client "unfounded."[61] His mother, Felicia Young, however, stated that her son was "hurting inside and out."

Not exactly like cheating on exams, stealing a laptop, killing dogs, or anything like that.

No and no! I knew it. I HOPED prior to clicking it was a story about him not a should we sign him thread! Maybe we should sign him and draft Cam to sit on the bench to learn????? Wait..... I will start my own thread. I think i am onto something

I know i know, questions about his character and leadership are valid. But with that being said, "Vince Young finished his Titans career with a 30-17 record (63.8%) over five years. During that span, the Titans compiled a record of 15-18 (45.5%) without Young." The guy wins football games pretty much 2 to 1. And the same team is 500 without him. I dont care what u think about him u cannot argue those stats. It is getting close to 2 decades without a winning QB here in Buffalo. Also i big reason on why Young makes sense is it gives us the flexibility to draft two top defensive prospects.

Preference for a QB starts in this order...

Newton @3

Mallet @34

or Vince Young in FA

:death: :death: :death:

Vince Young would look great in a Bills suit.

That's you're opinion. I actually googled "Bills suit" and found this.

Maybe you're right. I could kind of see VY in this thing looking out over the practice field at OBD, longing to actually get a chance to play but knowing that even dressed like this, Nix will never offer him a contract.

New Titans Head Coach Mike Munchak reiterated yesterday that Vince Young would not be returning to the Titans. Munchak was on Fisher's staff so he knew what the problems were with Young and the organization.

Really? I saw on ESPN just a couple days ago that he said they havent yet decided to keep him or release him yet. They mentioned that Vince was due a 4 mil roster bonus 10 days after the new CBA was agreed on, so that they would likely be forced to make a decision before that.

PS I love VY and hope we bring him in. I honestly think he could beat out Fitz if Fitz has a few bad games like last year. We also have one of the worst OL in the league and are 1 bad hit from starting Brohm.

Really? I saw on ESPN just a couple days ago that he said they havent yet decided to keep him or release him yet. They mentioned that Vince was due a 4 mil roster bonus 10 days after the new CBA was agreed on, so that they would likely be forced to make a decision before that.

PS I love VY and hope we bring him in. I honestly think he could beat out Fitz if Fitz has a few bad games like last year. We also have one of the worst OL in the league and are 1 bad hit from starting Brohm.

Apparently Munchak must have made these statements shortly after you saw the ESPN report.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/21/mike-munchak-vince-young-is-gone-nothing-will-change-that/