Adam Shefter's opinion

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No its not.

They have 2 comparisons. Size and the fact that their best pass rushing moves are a speed rush. Miller has much more than that. Not even close to the same player. Say what you will.

The Miller and Maybin comparison is not only getting old, it's also very ignorant and completely baseless.

Okay, the please explain to me the difference. Both are undersized and utilize speed instead of strength to beat lineman which is a technique that seldom works in the NFL. So how exactly is my argument baseless?

The Bills will not draft a NT this year. They don't need it. Troup and Williams are the teams NT's. They not even looked at one this year at all. Only Qb's, DE's and LB's have come to One Bills Drive this off season. The team drafted Troup in the second round last year, why draft another NT in the second round this year. HELLO!

Edited by bisonbrigade

Okay, the please explain to me the difference. Both are undersized and utilize speed instead of strength to beat lineman which is a technique that seldom works in the NFL. So how exactly is my argument baseless?

Miller is not undersized. What is it with people that think you have to be 6'5 and 270 to play OLB in a 3-4? Miller has the frame to be able to add more bulk and still keep his speed and agility. Maybin never had the frame, nor did he ever have the elite speed Miller has. That's a pretty big difference right there. Miller's instincts and ability to drop into coverage trump anything Maybin has ever shown. Miller has multiple years of high level performance against some pretty reputable teams in college football. He also shined when the lights were the brightest. Had it not been for an injury this past season, he probably would have led the country in sacks again. Who did Maybin shine against? Temple? Costal Carolina.

People want to compare them because they are both fast. Even though Maybin's speed was never on the same level as Miller's. Maybin is a bust partly (maybe mostly) because he lacks football instincts.

Miller is not undersized. What is it with people that think you have to be 6'5 and 270 to play OLB in a 3-4? Miller has the frame to be able to add more bulk and still keep his speed and agility. Maybin never had the frame, nor did he ever have the elite speed Miller has. That's a pretty big difference right there. Miller's instincts and ability to drop into coverage trump anything Maybin has ever shown. Miller has multiple years of high level performance against some pretty reputable teams in college football. He also shined when the lights were the brightest. Had it not been for an injury this past season, he probably would have led the country in sacks again. Who did Maybin shine against? Temple? Costal Carolina.

People want to compare them because they are both fast. Even though Maybin's speed was never on the same level as Miller's. Maybin is a bust partly (maybe mostly) because he lacks football instincts.

I'm not denying that Miller does have potential to fill into a bigger frame but what I'm saying is with the third overall pick this guy on paper does not have the preferred size of a successful OLB. I'm also not saying he has the same work ethic of Maybin because that seems way to harsh. All I mean is it scares me a little to think that we may draft another first round OLB who does have similar characteristics of Maybin just three year removed from his draft.

I'm not denying that Miller does have potential to fill into a bigger frame but what I'm saying is with the third overall pick this guy on paper does not have the preferred size of a successful OLB.

And what exactly is the preferred size of an OLB? Like I said, a player doesn't have to be the size of Ware to be successful. Take a look at Shaun Phillips of the Chargers. They run a 3-4 and he's 6'2 250. Last year he had 55 tackles and 11 sacks. Do I even have to mention Clay Matthews? Terrell Suggs - 6'3 260 - 68 tackles & 11 sacks. James Harrison - 6'0 242 - 100 tackles 10.5 sacks. Kamerion Wimbley - 6'4 255 - 56 tackles 9 sacks. I think the point is pretty obvious. Miller is the same size/bigger than some of the best LBs in the league. Just because you are 6'5 275 does not necessarily improve your chances of being successful in the NFL. Size only gets you so far.

I'm also not saying he has the same work ethic of Maybin because that seems way to harsh. All I mean is it scares me a little to think that we may draft another first round OLB who does have similar characteristics of Maybin just three year removed from his draft.

Once again, what same characteristics does Miller share with Maybin? You keep saying that but don't explain your reasoning. Yes, Maybin was a bust. It does not mean that we should be hesitant of drafting someone else that plays his position just because Maybin did not work out. Are we not going to draft another tackle because Mike Williams was a bust?

Clay Matthews was 6'3" 240 when drafted. Von would be 6'3" 242 when drafted. Cut the **** and realize Maybin was a bust but von is different. Mcargo was and undersided DL....does that mean Bruce smith is hopeless? Miami players are punks....does that mean Jim Kelly wasn't worth drafting?

People who compare Von Miller to Maybin are like the morons who compare newton to Jamarcus.

the bills will draft Von miller or Dareus with our first pick and the best defensive linemen with our second pick.

My link

I am satisfied with this

This would mean Troup and Carrington where wasted picks, of course Spiller is a wasted pick so we should have went Tebow and Gronkowski last year and then Dareus and Stephen Paea (?) would be great picks, although would like Brooks Reed or best RT in the second. But we didn't do that so our best chance for success will be to draft Gabbert then Kyle Rudolph which may actually be a touch better than Tebow and Grony, so maybe we should have drafted:

1. Brian Bulaga LT 6'5" 315 (starting RT for Super Bowl champs Green bay, on NFL all-rookie team)

2. Sergio Kindle OLB 6'3" 250(wouldn't have fallen down those stairs if he wasn't where he was, not the best character guy but neither was Bruce and Cornelius)

3. John Jerry RT 6'5" 335 (started at guard for fins but could play RT, which he did in college)

4. Cam Thomas NT 6'4" 335 (who knew he would go in the fith, bigger than Troup and had more sacks but less takcles, after slow start came on strong at the end of the year)

5. Mitch Petrus OG 6'4" 310 (loved this kid, 45 reps on the bench, blocked for Darren McFaden& Felix Jones& Peyton Hillis, could of kicked Woods to center, like we are doing know and we would of had a awesome line of: Bulaga, Levitre, Woods, Petrus, Jerry :thumbsup: )

6. Moats OLB 6'2" 250 (hey got one right, although we had him at ILB at first)

6. Batten OLB 6'3" 265 (sure why not)

7. Cody Grimm SS 6'0" ( kid was a stud, good bloodlines too, what happened to BPA? Levi Brown no thanks)

7. C J Wilson DE 6'3" 290 (Had more tackles and same amount of sacks as Carrington)

This would mean Troup and Carrington where wasted picks, of course Spiller is a wasted pick so we should have went Tebow and Gronkowski last year and then Dareus and Stephen Paea (?) would be great picks, although would like Brooks Reed or best RT in the second. But we didn't do that so our best chance for success will be to draft Gabbert then Kyle Rudolph which may actually be a touch better than Tebow and Grony, so maybe we should have drafted:

1. Brian Bulaga LT 6'5" 315 (starting RT for Super Bowl champs Green bay, on NFL all-rookie team)

2. Sergio Kindle OLB 6'3" 250(wouldn't have fallen down those stairs if he wasn't where he was, not the best character guy but neither was Bruce and Cornelius)

3. John Jerry RT 6'5" 335 (started at guard for fins but could play RT, which he did in college)

4. Cam Thomas NT 6'4" 335 (who knew he would go in the fith, bigger than Troup and had more sacks but less takcles, after slow start came on strong at the end of the year)

5. Mitch Petrus OG 6'4" 310 (loved this kid, 45 reps on the bench, blocked for Darren McFaden& Felix Jones& Peyton Hillis, could of kicked Woods to center, like we are doing know and we would of had a awesome line of: Bulaga, Levitre, Woods, Petrus, Jerry :thumbsup: )

6. Moats OLB 6'2" 250 (hey got one right, although we had him at ILB at first)

6. Batten OLB 6'3" 265 (sure why not)

7. Cody Grimm SS 6'0" ( kid was a stud, good bloodlines too, what happened to BPA? Levi Brown no thanks)

7. C J Wilson DE 6'3" 290 (Had more tackles and same amount of sacks as Carrington)

Why again would Troup and Carrington be wasted picks? Oh I get it, your not a fan of DEPTH in case of injuries. I suppose that when a starter goes down it's wise to have a non drafted scrub take his place. Image what the Packers would have done last year if they had subscribed to that draft philosophy.

the bills will draft Von miller or Dareus with our first pick and the best defensive linemen with our second pick.

My link

I am satisfied with this

Although I would prefer Gabbert or Newton first, Von Miller or Dareus would be fine choices by me. I would however like to see them grab one of the QB's in the second round.

Still worried about Miller. Besides the fact he's not a one year wonder, what separates him from Maybin? He's still very undersized.

You should be worried. Whenever I get close to feeling that Von Miller might be a good pick, i just go back and watch the video on him. Whoever picks Miller will be making a huge mistake because the video just doesn't match the insane hype this guy has been getting. Go watch the Texas game, the Nebraska game. I see a blitzing strong safety, not an NFL outside linebacker. Just like a strong safety he runs AROUND people. Seriously, that's all he does. To be fair, I'll say he's a 2 trick pony since he does cover well. But what else would you expect from a safety?

Miller will be EASILY neutralized at the next level. Are you kidding me? You don't think that Belichick and Ryan will know how to handle Von Miller? Here's a clue, just have someone, ANYONE, block him. OL, TE, RB, they'll all be able to handle him.

I'll be very disappointed if they draft Miller. Give me Quinn, Peterson, Green, Jordan or Watt…do not draft Miller. For the guys that say he's bigger now, who cares? He didn't play that kind of game in college. We didn't see him use size as a way to get to the ball carrier. So you'll be drafting a guy based on thinking but not showing he can do it? Wow, either way it goes, this is going to be one crazy board after that first pick.

honestly i see no way miller can be a bust hes been highly touted by everyone and was blowing people up at the senior bowl he has all pro potential. and Dareus? i believe dareus will be a 10 year player how will be a great run stuffer and would be a good person to build around, either way it would be great to get one of these players