Some thoughts re draft

jahnyc

Some thoughts:

1. I think high draft picks will become much more valuable if a rookie wage scale is implemented and top ten picks become reasonable in terms of overall compensation. The guaranteed amounts that have been paid to top picks is ridiculous and has made these picks difficult to trade.

2. Miller may be a great pick, but if selected by the Bills, it will be confirmation that Maybin was arguably the worst pick by the Bills in the last ten years.

3. McKelvin needs to step up this year, particularly if Drayton Florence departs via free agency. McKelvin has been disappointing overall, Spiller is is a major question mark, and Lynch is gone. Our failure to draft quality players in the first round is killing the team.

4. Luck is the real deal and I expect a smart team will try to trade with a crummy team to try to get the crummy team's first round pick next year to be in a position to draft Luck.

5. I am getting the feeling that the Bills will not try to re-sign Poz. Nothing to base this on, just a gut feeling from some of the things that Buddy has said about needing to get a number of linebackers from free agency and the draft.

6. I know that Marcel Dareus is very highly rated, but where would he fit on the Bills? Do we need a defensive tackle (after last year, I think we do)? Can he play DE? Seems like the Broncos will take him, so probably will not worth worrying about.

7. I would love for the Bills to trade back into the first round to get Castonzo or Carini. We really need to solidify the offensive tackle position, and finding a quality RT would be a great start.

Some thoughts:

1. I think high draft picks will become much more valuable if a rookie wage scale is implemented and top ten picks become reasonable in terms of overall compensation. The guaranteed amounts that have been paid to top picks is ridiculous and has made these picks difficult to trade.

2. Miller may be a great pick, but if selected by the Bills, it will be confirmation that Maybin was arguably the worst pick by the Bills in the last ten years.

3. McKelvin needs to step up this year, particularly if Drayton Florence departs via free agency. McKelvin has been disappointing overall, Spiller is is a major question mark, and Lynch is gone. Our failure to draft quality players in the first round is killing the team.

4. Luck is the real deal and I expect a smart team will try to trade with a crummy team to try to get the crummy team's first round pick next year to be in a position to draft Luck.

5. I am getting the feeling that the Bills will not try to re-sign Poz. Nothing to base this on, just a gut feeling from some of the things that Buddy has said about needing to get a number of linebackers from free agency and the draft.

6. I know that Marcel Dareus is very highly rated, but where would he fit on the Bills? Do we need a defensive tackle (after last year, I think we do)? Can he play DE? Seems like the Broncos will take him, so probably will not worth worrying about.

7. I would love for the Bills to trade back into the first round to get Castonzo or Carini. We really need to solidify the offensive tackle position, and finding a quality RT would be a great start.

Dareus played end for a 34 team so he would fit in right there for us, putting him at nose would be stupid. Castonzo and Carimi would be good but might be able to get Solder in the second so would be better to get JJ Watt or Cam Jordan if we trade back which we wont so Gabbert, Dareus, then Quinn at 3 if available.

It's really amazing how terrible Buffalo's first round picks have been going to 2000. They've had 13 picks in the first round since that year and of those, they've got one Pro Bowl appearance (Clements) and no less than 5 busts.

Some thoughts:

1. I dont know if high draft picks would get MORE valuable, I think they are already over valued. I think you will jsut see more trades go down.

2. Regardless if they draft Miller, Maybin is the worst pick the Bills have made since Mike WIlliams, probably even worse.

3. We truely cannot draft. Last year wasnt must better at the top. Who knows if it will be better this year.

4. Unless there is a CBA, there may not be a draft next year. That possibilty will keep teams from trading for future picks IMO

5. I thought there were reports that they wanted to resign Poz but couldnt because of some 30% rule?

6. DE, maybe even NG. Kinda reminds me of Raji.

7. No to Coztanso, YES to Carimi. I dont wanna trade up though, we need the picks.

Edited by Thoner7

I think that I have read that teams can trade for 2012 pick during this year's draft, but if there is no draft in 2012, a team cannot recoup the pick.

At least Mike Williams started his first couple of years and played adequately at times. Cannot say the same thing about Maybin.

Dareus played end for a 34 team so he would fit in right there for us, putting him at nose would be stupid. Castonzo and Carimi would be good but might be able to get Solder in the second so would be better to get JJ Watt or Cam Jordan if we trade back which we wont so Gabbert, Dareus, then Quinn at 3 if available.

I wouldn't say it's "stupid" at this point. Yes, he played 3-4 DE in college and I'm sure he'll make a good 3-4 DE in the NFL, but we got trounced up the middle last year and he weighs more than Williams, may be stronger that Williams and might actually fit what we're looking for at DT better than Williams does. For as well as Williams played last year, we were still dead last vs the run. IMO we should see how he does playing some DT as well as DE as well as see how effective williams can be at DE, and if it looks like our DL would be better with Dareus at DT and williams at DE, do it. We have nothing to lose, no reason not to see how it works. If it doesn't, scrap it. But to say, it's stupid at this point, is well, rather stupid IMO.

I think it's all irrelevant anyway, good chance we don't have a chance to draft him

Some thoughts:

The reason that Dareus is the number #1 Defensive line players isn't that he is necessarily the best 3-4DE, 4-3 under-tackle, 4-3NT or 3-4NT, it's that he looks like he can play all 4 positions at a high level. For the Bills Dareus could play either DE, slip inside if the Bills go 4-3 and play NT if Williams and Troup needed a break or in case of injury. Fairley can play 3-4DE and 4-3 under-tackle but he's not playing NT. If you were to look at the players at strictly 3-4 DE then there is very little difference between Dareus, Fairley, Jordan or Watt, in fact I think Jordan will be the best all around 3-4DE and Watt will be the best pass-rushing 3-4DE.

Rumor in NY!!!! Jets brought in Dalton, QB guy that reminds me of Pennington as they want to drumb up a possioble trade with Bills( supposedly Bills like this guy for their 2nd rn pick- I don't see it). Jets imoplicate may trade their 1st rnd pick for 2nd and 4th if a team wants him). I don't believe it and hope we do not want thgis guy that bad. Let the Jets draft him as a backup to Sanchez for all I care.

Rumor in NY!!!! Jets brought in Dalton, QB guy that reminds me of Pennington as they want to drumb up a possioble trade with Bills( supposedly Bills like this guy for their 2nd rn pick- I don't see it). Jets imoplicate may trade their 1st rnd pick for 2nd and 4th if a team wants him). I don't believe it and hope we do not want thgis guy that bad. Let the Jets draft him as a backup to Sanchez for all I care.

If we could trade up from 34 and lose only our extra 4th, then I would pretend to love Dalton and make the trade and take a starting RT in Carimi or a NG like Taylor and says "suckers!!!" to the Jets, who will likely be targeting those two players I named.

I seriously don't get why "Team A" would think that working out a QB would scare "Team B" into trading into "Team A's" slot so that they could select the QB that "Team A" liked in the first place. I hope it pisses off Sanchez and creates a serious divide between him and the coaches.

I love the fact that all these mid-round talented mediocre QBs are being so highly sought after. It only pushes more valuable players to our picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. Bills should just load up on defense this year.

For all those wishing the Bills pick one of these mediocre types, just remember how the Panthers blew a valuable pick in selecting Claussen. If Newton doesn't go to the Bills then the Bills should NOT think of drafting a QB until the later rounds. Better to wait and see how Fitzpatrick does, and if he does lousy then the Bills will probably be in a prime position to draft a great QB prospect next year. Maybe even Luck or Barkley.

Edited by 1billsfan

I seriously don't get why "Team A" would think that working out a QB would scare "Team B" into trading into "Team A's" slot so that they could select the QB that "Team A" liked in the first place. I hope it pisses off Sanchez and creates a serious divide between him and the coaches.

I love the fact that all these mid-round talented mediocre QBs are being so highly sought after. It only pushes more valuable players to our picks in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. Bills should just load up on defense this year.

For all those wishing the Bills pick one of these mediocre types, just remember how the Panthers blew a valuable pick in selecting Claussen. If Newton doesn't go to the Bills then the Bills should NOT think of drafting a QB until the later rounds. Better to wait and see how Fitzpatrick does, and if he does lousy then the Bills will probably be in a prime position to draft a great QB prospect next year. Maybe even Luck or Barkley.

WE AGREE!!!!

If we pass on a QB in round 1, I am praying we don't draft one in round 2-3. If kaepernick is there in the 3rd, after our selection I'm round 3, I wouldnt mind packaging our 4ths to move up into the 3rd to grab kaepernick. But I have a feeling He'll be gone somewhere in round 2.

I'm not a fan of Barkley though. I know he's been a system qb, but I like Landry Jones more. I'd prefer him over Barkley.

Most people don't seem to get it that this team does not have a nose tackle. Troupe is a DT not a NT, he may be able sub for a NT but he is not a space eater that commands multiple blockers, and "may" is the operative word there. Williams is a DT in a 4-3 that can play DE in a 3-4. Dareus and Fairley are DEs in a 3-4 that can also play DT in a 4-3. Dareus in rd 1 then Taylor from Baylor in rd 2. Taylor is one of only a couple true NTs in the draft, and arguably the most capable NT. Jordan and Watt and Kerrigan are all 3-4 & 4-3 DEs. We cannot go another year without a NT in our 3-4 defense. If we get Baylor and Dareus our #1 3-4 D-lines is Dareus-Taylor-Williams and #2 is Jefferson-Troupe-Carrington. If we get Miller and Taylor the #1 line is Carrington-Taylor-Williams and #2 is Jefferson-Troupe-whatever other slug we pick up. Our draft board should be: #1 pick is best defensive lineman or linebacker available; #2 best NT available; #3 best OT or LB available. Taking Gabbert in rd 1 and an OT in rd 2 throws this defense backwards at least two more years and it is the worst defense in the NFL right now. To miss out on the defensive talent that is available in the top 35 picks would be criminal. Newton is the only offensive player we can consider in the first two rounds.

Most people don't seem to get it that this team does not have a nose tackle. Troupe is a DT not a NT, he may be able sub for a NT but he is not a space eater that commands multiple blockers, and "may" is the operative word there. Williams is a DT in a 4-3 that can play DE in a 3-4. Dareus and Fairley are DEs in a 3-4 that can also play DT in a 4-3. Dareus in rd 1 then Taylor from Baylor in rd 2. Taylor is one of only a couple true NTs in the draft, and arguably the most capable NT. Jordan and Watt and Kerrigan are all 3-4 & 4-3 DEs. We cannot go another year without a NT in our 3-4 defense. If we get Baylor and Dareus our #1 3-4 D-lines is Dareus-Taylor-Williams and #2 is Jefferson-Troupe-Carrington. If we get Miller and Taylor the #1 line is Carrington-Taylor-Williams and #2 is Jefferson-Troupe-whatever other slug we pick up. Our draft board should be: #1 pick is best defensive lineman or linebacker available; #2 best NT available; #3 best OT or LB available. Taking Gabbert in rd 1 and an OT in rd 2 throws this defense backwards at least two more years and it is the worst defense in the NFL right now. To miss out on the defensive talent that is available in the top 35 picks would be criminal. Newton is the only offensive player we can consider in the first two rounds.

The best Bills defense I have ever seen in my life was the late 80s/early 90s. Remember the NT in our 3-4? 270 pounds soaking wet Jeff Wright.

The second best Bills defense I have ever seen in my life- the Bermuda Triangle. Starting NT in our 3-4? 270 pound Fred Smerlas.

I don't give a damn about weight, I want football players! I am sure plenty here ripped on the Kyle WIlliams selection. But I will take an undersized rolling ball of razor blades over some easily winded pile of goo at NT

Edited by Pete

Did Spencer Johnson change his last name? Or do we have a player named Jefferson that may actually get time.

Fairley is a 4-3 DT that can play 3-4 DE

Kerrigan is in no way whatsoever a 3-4 DE.

How can one draft set us back 2 years? I'll say it again, we need to fill holes at QB (IMO), OT (maybe 2), TE, DT (IMO), DE, ILB (maybe 2), OLB, CB and maybe at safety if whitner isn't resigned (I like Wilson, but we'd need one for depth). It's not gonna happen in 1 year. Probably not even, 2 years. Fill each hole with the player the FO likes most one pick at a time and through FA. It doesn't matter if it's this year or next year. There's no one way to build a team. If we focus on the defensive holes this year, we'll have to draft more offense next year. Or vice versa. Fill the many holes that we have 1 by 1 with the players they like most. Period. Face it, we aren't gonna win a SB next year. Sure, I'd like to be as competitive as possible, but IMO, if they like the options on offense more than they do on defense, they should, without a doubt, draft the offensive needs over the defensive needs. Then put more of an emphasis on defense next year. Or again, vice versa. I think it's stupid to draft a defensive player they don't like just to fix the defense first. First and foremost, we need to draft good players in positions of need that will help our team win. No matter what side of the ball they play.

Take the NT early and the OLB34 early. The talent pool is not as deep there.

Best NT's that will be starting in the NFL are Phil Taylor, then Jerrell Powe / Kenrick Ellis. Maybe Chris Nield but I doubt it. They will all go earlier than their Big Board rank because of the scarcity. Taylor will go #21 to KC, #30 Jets, or to us at #34. Powe and Ellis could go in either order but #55 KC, #68 Bills, and #76 SF are likely.