How good are you at sports!!!!!

I'm passable at most sports but am good at football and BEERLEAGUE softball! I'm 28 and still workout about 3 days a week. I'm usually good for at least 2 homers a game in softball and play 3rd base. I have a good arm but play DE and TE in football. I'm totally high motor all the way!!!!!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't bothered to read through all of this, but I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few people here who have had great athletic runs in their days. Alas, I was not one of them. In fact, I can best describe my athletic ineptitude in the simple words I heard in every gym class that ever required teams to be picked.

Sometimes when I'm standing alone somewhere, I can still hear those words.

"Welllll...I guess we'll take LaVecchia."

161480[/snapback]

I hear ya, Mock. I was usually picked last, just after the blind one-legged epileptic.

:doh:

I ended up a distance runner.

I was a decent athlete in the mid '80s. Now I am old and fat. B)

Back then i played B-league Basketball 2-3 nights a week. I bowled once a week. i played Raquetball 2-3 nights a week, usually the off nights from Basketball, And I was a B league Softball player as well, though not often...

Now I have a family and stick to my golf game. I am pretty good at that when my game comes around after the off-season. I live in Phoenix, and yes there is an Off-season. It is the Winter months when the Greens Fees are sky high, thats when I dont play. In the summer when its 110 outside, thats when I play 2 times a week. At the start of the year, I shoot high 80's, and by the end of the summer this year i had 4 consecutive rounds in the 70's. Including my second best round ever, a 2 over 74. (I shot a 73 in Denver back in 87).

Zona

For you golfers earlier in this thread, That 74 i talked about, I had 31 putts... :doh:

I've been skiing since I was ten and learned from some of the best teachers in the world at Gray Rocks, Quebec on two separate week long lesson sessions. Unfortunately, what used to cost 12-16 dollars for a 4 hour pass here now costs 44  :doh:  . I went from going like 30 times per year to @ 2  :(

161559[/snapback]

Point taken. I do think it was more cost prohibitive years ago though. Right now at smaller facilities an ALL DAY pass is in the 40-50 dollar range... That is usually all day and night (if night skiing is available). Nowadays we spend our income on a lot of other things we didn't have back then. Still, making less years ago, that 12-16 dollars was a lot! Times that by 2 for an eight hour pass and you still paid about 25-30 bucks! Of course now, the big name resorts are well over 50 bucks... It is still cheaper than playing some rounds of golf at certain courses... What do greens fees cost at big name resorts? My point was that for what you get and today's technology, it is relatively cheaper than before. Our disposable incomes are a lot more today. Kids also ski FREE at most resorts (age varies)... It is good to get them going at that point. Also, at minor areas, you can touch unlimited season pass for 300 bucks... Juniors are less... In Buffalo, If you are a UB alum, you get a lot of bang for your buck joing the club. Skiing is all start up. Equipment now has jumped leaps and bounds with the shapes and cuts... It is a lot easier to learn and be successful than at any other point in history... It is also cheaper to attain that equipment thanks to technology.

Technology in all facits of the sport has changed it. It is truly one of the only sports where technology filtered up from the recreational aspect to the pros. You can thank computer design a lot. Look at what the racer is are using now... they are racing gates on equipment that is 30 cm shorter than 20 years ago. Myself, I went form skiing on 205s to 190's when the shaped ski revolution took hold.

So... I respectfully disagree that the sport has got more expensive, it just looks like that since the dollar amounts appeared more appealing years ago.

I was a decent athlete in the mid '80s. Now I am old and fat. B)

Back then i played B-league Basketball 2-3 nights a week. I bowled once a week. i played Raquetball 2-3 nights a week, usually the off nights from Basketball, And I was a B league Softball player as well, though not often...

Now I have a family and stick to my golf game. I am pretty good at that when my game comes around after the off-season. I live in Phoenix, and yes there is an Off-season. It is the Winter months when the Greens Fees are sky high, thats when I dont play. In the summer when its 110 outside, thats when I play 2 times a week. At the start of the year, I shoot high 80's, and by the end of the summer this year i had 4 consecutive rounds in the 70's. Including my second best round ever, a 2 over 74. (I shot a 73 in Denver back in 87).

Zona

For you golfers earlier in this thread, That 74 i talked about, I had 31 putts... :doh:

161649[/snapback]

I have never tried to do anything other than go to a driving range and blast away or try putting. I don't think I'd be any good at golf. Then again, you never know until you try, I guess.

I've been skiing since I was ten and learned from some of the best teachers in the world at Gray Rocks, Quebec on two separate week long lesson sessions. Unfortunately, what used to cost 12-16 dollars for a 4 hour pass here now costs 44  :doh:  . I went from going like 30 times per year to @ 2  :(

161559[/snapback]

Probably the finest teachers in North America are at Gray Rocks, the staff is level III and above, we have been there 6 times, sometimes with kids and sometimes without. Dpending on the exchange rate, it can be a relatively inexpensive vacation for the whole family, with a lot of great skiing.

As I get older(age 35) and my available freetime dwindles, I have decide which sports I want to play or stop playing. I have grown up playing sports. My friendships and my relationship with my father hinges on sports (not comepletely, but to a large degree).

My dilemma, is that I am not that good at most of them. As a huge sports fan, it is difficult to admit, but it is true. I currently play ice hockey in a mens league. I do ok in a "B" level league, but I am playing in Florida. I have been playing golf for 10 years now and I just can't get better (I try and try- do all types of reading, take lessons) it helps but I still suck. I do excell in softball, but i haven't played in a few years because my friends aren't interested. Growing up, I was very competitive in baseball. I did ok in football and basketball. 

My wife heather and I just had our first baby a month ago (time and money are limited) and I am trying plan what sports I can afford to do and which sports make me feel good about myself. Golf just seems to destroy my self esteem. I am trying to find a sport I can play and be really good at on an extreamly limited time schedule. My question to you is, how do you react to not being good at a sport? Do you accept your limitations and simply enjoy the game? Must you be great at your sport to continue playing it? Does being a bad player crush you, like it does me? For those  of you in my shoes, how do you handle it?

I think I will start playing softball again, but I also think about fishing because how can you be bad at fishing??? Just someone who wishes they could walk the walk like they talk the talk about sports. Doug in Clearwater.

160953[/snapback]

Be a man, play hockey. Just doesn't sound cool to say to someone that I play golf or softball.

Point taken.  I do think it was more cost prohibitive years ago though.  Right now at smaller facilities an ALL DAY pass is in the 40-50 dollar range... That is usually all day and night (if night skiing is available).  Nowadays we spend our income on a lot of other things we didn't have back then.  Still, making less years ago, that 12-16 dollars was a lot!  Times that by 2 for an eight hour pass and you still paid about 25-30 bucks!  Of course now, the big name resorts are well over 50 bucks... It is still cheaper than playing some rounds of golf at certain courses... What do greens fees cost at big name resorts?  My point was that for what you get and today's technology, it is relatively cheaper than before.  Our disposable incomes are a lot more today.  Kids also ski FREE at most resorts (age varies)... It is good to get them going at that point.  Also, at minor areas, you can touch unlimited season pass for 300 bucks... Juniors are less...  In Buffalo, If you are a UB alum, you get a lot of bang for your buck joing the club.  Skiing is all start up.  Equipment now has jumped leaps and bounds with the shapes and cuts... It is a lot easier to learn and be successful than at any other point in history... It is also cheaper to attain that equipment thanks to technology.

Technology in all facits of the sport has changed it.  It is truly one of the only sports where technology filtered up from the recreational aspect to the pros.  You can thank computer design a lot.  Look at what the racer is are using now... they are racing gates on equipment that is 30 cm shorter than 20 years ago.  Myself, I went form skiing on 205s to 190's when the shaped ski revolution took hold.

So... I respectfully disagree that the sport has got more expensive, it just looks like that since the dollar amounts appeared more appealing years ago.

161651[/snapback]

Yeah I agree with you in principal and I still love the sport ( my ski's went from 205's to 190's with shape skis), but 1) around here kids do not ski free and 2) I do not make enough $ to justify going because the increase has far surpassed inflation, plus I am not willing to give up my Bills games :doh:

Probably the finest teachers in North America are at Gray Rocks, the staff is level III and above, we have been there 6 times, sometimes with kids and sometimes without. Dpending on the exchange rate, it can be a relatively inexpensive vacation for the whole family, with a lot of great skiing.

161697[/snapback]

You got it. The teachers were just unbelievable and used many techniques that I have not seen done elsewhere. They really got me off on the right foot and gave me an edge over my peers at the time on the learning curve. Not only did they convey technique well, they greatly increased my confidence level at the time.

You got it. The teachers were just unbelievable and used many techniques that I have not seen done elsewhere. They really got me off on the right foot and gave me an edge over my peers at the time on the learning curve. Not only did they convey technique well, they greatly increased my confidence level at the time.

161735[/snapback]

They have a distinct advantage over regular instructors in that they have a captive audience for 5 days, two times each day, each person gets excercises that benefit them, and the instructor is able to build confidence slowly because he has such a long period of time. Best money spent for beginners to intermediates, and even I take away stuff that I will use in classes when I teach.

161651[/snapback]

Live in Atlanta, but still manage to get 15 or so days in a year (travel perks of the job. :lol: )...although I'm on a snowboard now instead of being a two planker.

I don't mind paying the money for a lift tick to a big resort, whih can be anywhere from $35 off season to $75 at the holidays. What I do have a problem with is the resorts that mismanage their crowds, so that I can only get a half dozen runs in a day....and I'm a first chair to last chair guy.