Detroit Polpulation Loss

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/us/23detroit.html

'“While we expected a decline in population, we are confident these figures will be revised,” Mayor David Bing said in a statement. He told reporters that if the city could account for a total of 750,000 people, it would meet a threshold for receiving more federal and state money.'

So the mayor admits that the priority of Detroit government is to do whatever it can to get more federal and state money thrown their way. :wallbash:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'“While we expected a decline in population, we are confident these figures will be revised,” Mayor David Bing said in a statement. He told reporters that if the city could account for a total of 750,000 people, it would meet a threshold for receiving more federal and state money.'

So the mayor admits that the priority of Detroit government is to do whatever it can to get more federal and state money thrown their way. :wallbash:

Yeah...that's a priority of just about every municipality.

Don't blame Detroit. Get rid of HUD.

It is a priority for all. How can it not be. Even if you don't look at the money side... What about representation?. They always talk about how important the census is... But what about the losers? What about the areas that know they will lose out and the systems they have in place will decay. Maybe that is the problem with America.. It is too damn winner take all.

It would be great if we could level places like BFLO and DET and start fresh... But we can't.

Maybe ACORN can help him "find" some residents.

Maybe that is the problem with America.. It is too damn winner take all.

Who says there's a problem?

It would be great if we could level places like BFLO and DET and start fresh... But we can't.

Why not? I've seen plenty of thoughtful people propose just that.

I came up with this idea a while ago. Like the movie "Escape From New York", how about we turn Detroit into a giant federal prison. With todays tech it should be relatively easy to keep them in. I know we don't do so great on our borders but here we would actually want to keep them contained. Imagine the great reality tv shows this could spawn to help pay for it. We would no longer have to maintain several fed pens just one big open concept city based one.

I came up with this idea a while ago. Like the movie "Escape From New York", how about we turn Detroit into a giant federal prison. With todays tech it should be relatively easy to keep them in. I know we don't do so great on our borders but here we would actually want to keep them contained. Imagine the great reality tv shows this could spawn to help pay for it. We would no longer have to maintain several fed pens just one big open concept city based one.

There could be cameras everywhere and people could watch the chaos unfold on pay-for-view. Reality TV at it's finest.

Can we sell Detroit to Canada? If not, I think any middle east country might be interested. It would provide a slight upgrade to most of their dirt huts, as well as already having prayer sirens, etc.

Nah. We already have Winnipeg.

I think we'd have to pay them to take it.

I paid someone to take away my old piece of crap car once. It was worth every penny

What do you call a person from Winnipeg? A Winnipegger? Winnipudlian? Winnalonian?

That's easy. A Winner. Is Charlie Sheen Canadian? He'd make a perfect mayor.

No no, please elaborate on how you see white flight as it relates to this topic.

My guess would be that if there was white flight it just might cause a reduction in the population. OTOH, he could be meaning something else and taking this thread into the swamps. :devil: