Mallet 5.4 in the 40 does it matter?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is simply too slow to stay healthy in the NFL -- no matter what line he plays behind. That said, I have to believe there are NFL trainers who can get him moving faster than that.

If I had to guess Philip Rivers 40 time would be around 10.8. If Mallet can play like Philip Rivers I think whatever team drafts him would be pretty happy.

Philip Rivers ran a 5.05

Drew Brees 4.83

Tom Brady 5.23

Payton Manning 4.8

Eli Manning 4.92

Matt Ryan 4.89

Mike Vick 4.25

Tony Romo 5.01

Donovan McNabb 4.64

Sam Bradford 4.72

Alex Smith 4.7

Matt Hasselbeck 4.93

Jay Cutler 4.81

Matt Stafford 4.84

Aaron Rodgers 4.71

Josh Freeman 4.94

Ryan Fitzpatrick 4.87

Chad Henne 4.92

Mark Sanchez 4.92

Jason Campbell 4.72

Kyle Orton 5.06

Matt Cassel 4.9

There is a list of most the starters in the NFL some teams left off

Philip Rivers ran a 5.05

Drew Brees 4.83

Tom Brady 5.23

Payton Manning 4.8

Eli Manning 4.92

Matt Ryan 4.89

Mike Vick 4.25

Tony Romo 5.01

Donovan McNabb 4.64

Sam Bradford 4.72

Alex Smith 4.7

Matt Hasselbeck 4.93

Jay Cutler 4.81

Matt Stafford 4.84

Aaron Rodgers 4.71

Josh Freeman 4.94

Ryan Fitzpatrick 4.87

Chad Henne 4.92

Mark Sanchez 4.92

Jason Campbell 4.72

Kyle Orton 5.06

Matt Cassel 4.9

There is a list of most the starters in the NFL some teams left off

So a 5.05 when Rivers was a young man at the combine, before an ACLs and two MCLs (and still played in the Championship game unlike a certain crybaby). So I'm thinking the 10.8 might not be too far off today.

Edited by Why So Serious?

So a 5.05 when Rivers was a young man at the combine, before an ACLs and two MCLs (and still played in the Championship game unlike a certain crybaby). So I'm thinking the 10.8 might not be too far off today.

Roughly.

QB 40 times matter for absolutely nothing, unless you are a "scrambling quarterback". Mallet is not. Nobody will care, even a little bit, and he'll still be a mid-first round pick.

I bet Peyton Manning runs a 40-yard dash at something close to that, and nobody says he can't survive in the NFL.

5.4 forty is crazy slow. Can he feel the heat and step up or out and see down field and will he know the blitz is coming and be able to hit the hot receiver. These would be better skill sets but in todays NFL with eloborate blitz packages and over loads he could have some real trouble unless he plays behind the best O line and blocking RBs in the league. Sadly that does not describe the Bills. A 5.4/40 would likely make him one of the slowest Qbs in the league and that time will get worse not better with time.

Yup

<Rex Ryan could probably run a faster 40 time...The 40 time its self doesn't necessarily mean that much for a QB. But when a guy that is supposed to be a "Pro Athlete" runs like that it has to raise red flags. Clearly this guy doesn't train athletically, and just simply isn't athletic. Is that necessary for a QB? Maybe not, but Mallett, reminds me of Drew Bledsoe, just worse...and an A-hole. He wouldn't last 1 game behind the Bills O-line.

This is a good point, but in my mind a 5.05 is a LONG way off from 5.37. Plus, when you watch Rivers play, he moves around pretty well (more so before the injuries). Mallett does not, this guy is a statue...easy target in the NFL.

Brady ran a slow time, but he is a much different player than Mallett. Very quick release, throws a lot of short accurate passes. Mallett is a gun slinger, and needs more time in the pocket.

To put things in perspective, Terrance Cody...One of the biggest, fattest blobs ever to be drafted into the NFL, ran a 5.54. When you are in that time range coming out of college, and you weigh less ~100 lbs less...thats a bad sign..

I bet Peyton Manning runs a 40-yard dash at something close to that, and nobody says he can't survive in the NFL.

FYI, Peyton Manning ran a 4.8 40 coming out of college, Marino 4.89...Mallet does NOT = Manning lol

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I don't want Mallet anywhere in this draft. He will be a worse statue than Drew Bledsoe ever was. The bills need a guy with a quick release and an ability to move around the pocket while feeling the oncoming rush. Mallet doesn't do this at all. He will get killed behind the current line.

I don't want Mallet anywhere in this draft. He will be a worse statue than Drew Bledsoe ever was. The bills need a guy with a quick release and an ability to move around the pocket while feeling the oncoming rush. Mallet doesn't do this at all. He will get killed behind the current line.

I understand your concern about Mallett being not so mobile. As far as his release, he raises his elbow and "flicks" 25 yard fastballs. He doesn't need as much time to set up for throws as do other quarterbacks because he is a freak.

Try to see some tape on him. The kid throws flat footed 50 yard strikes.

I understand your concern about Mallett being not so mobile. As far as his release, he raises his elbow and "flicks" 25 yard fastballs. He doesn't need as much time to set up for throws as do other quarterbacks because he is a freak.

Bill, a QB has to have some mobility. This guy is going to be a sack magnet. He literally can barely run.

Bill, a QB has to have some mobility. This guy is going to be a sack magnet. He literally can barely run.

I college, he did have some.

As I have said in many posts, arm strength isn't everything. I am well aware of this. Imo a discussion on arm strength is one which would almost have to be done in person rather than the internet, because there are just so many different types. For instance, I think that Fitz has a great arm for a qb on the run, a very frequent circumstance for a Bills quarterback.

Mallett is different. He has a Jeff George type arm. He might never make it as an NFL QB. I am well aware of this risk. I do however think that if he develops, he might actually be good enough to take passing to another level. THAT is how much respect I have for his ability to throw the football.

Sometimes I think that the Bills need to take risks, instead of wasting early picks on defensive backs or running backs, all of whom so-so at best. Their methods have been a well doccumented road to failure.

I agree about the arm. It is probably the best in the draft and he can make every throw. But can he make the throws with pressure all around him? I've seen the comparisons to Big Ben but I don't really see it. Ben's strength is moving around and outside the pocket extending plays and firing it down field for big gains. I just cannot see Mallet doing this.

His off the field exploits were bad enough when he was just awkward with the press about drug allegations.

Edited by ieatcrayonz

The reason why Fitz was "reasonably" effective was because he was able to roll out and extend the play from the on coming pressure. That is something that Mallett will never be able to do. Playing behind our OL without the ability to be elusive will never work out. With your keen observations about our OL you more than anyone else should know that.

There are some defenses where being a bulky NT works out and there are certain defenses where that type of girth and immobility doesn't work. It is about matching the player to the right system.

There are teams where Mallett would be an excellent fit. Minnessota (not Dallas) comes to mind. It is not a question whether he can make it as a NFL qb so much as a question of where with his particular attributes and skill set can he be successful. It is not going to be in Buffalo.

You interestingly bring up the Jeff George analogy. The lesson to be learned in the George example is that being enamored with a golden arm can sometimes blind an evaluator to the other liabilities that will be exposed on the field.

We know how well he can throw flat footed. What we don't know is how well he can throw when he is horizontal and laid out on the ground??????