Fire Chan! Hire Watson!

Fezmid

It was rigged Watson was given questions via text and tcpip not having to recognize the question

:blink:

Have you ever tried to write an algorithm that recognizes natural language, including speech idioms, catch phrases and the like?

:blink:

Have you ever tried to write an algorithm that recognizes natural language, including speech idioms, catch phrases and the like?

While millions of Americans die due to the effects of cancer and other wretched diseases, some of the most intelligent minds in America are writing algorithms for computers intended to replace human beings, passing tests on Jeopardy.

I am most certainly NOT amused... no wonder we've lost our edge to other developed countries.

While millions of Americans die due to the effects of cancer and other wretched diseases, some of the most intelligent minds in America are writing algorithms for computers intended to replace human beings, passing tests on Jeopardy.

I am most certainly NOT amused... no wonder we've lost our edge to other developed countries.

If you honestly believe that Watson was built to play on Jeopardy! and has no other uses, then there's no use trying to talk to you about the topic. :wallbash:

The only winning move is not to play

So you're saying by hiring Watson that the Bills would end up like the Wisconsin democrats and just leave the stadium so that the game can't go on?

You are about as far off base as a person can be with this, amused or not.

The primary goal of the project is to create a computer system capable of interacting with humans in what a human considers natural language. Jeopardy was seen as a good benchmark due to the nature of the answers, the speed in which the system would need to respond, and the vast and unpredictable scope of the knowledge required.

Also, advanced technology is about the only thing the US has not lost it's edge in (yet).

We are still the best at pushing the envelope and creating cutting edge technology. It is mainly the mass production of said technology that we have lost our edge in due to reasons too numerous to get into here.

A sister project to Watson, also by IBM, is called Blue Gene which involves supercomputers mapping the human genome. Which, among other things, is expected to contribute heavily to ending the cancer and other wretched diseases that are killing not only Americans, but people in the other countries as well.

Now had they developed Watson to out coach human NFL coaches, THEN I would be pissed at the waste of resources. Unless it would coach the Bills and out coach the satanic coach of the Pats of course ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

So you're saying by hiring Watson that the Bills would end up like the Wisconsin democrats and just leave the stadium so that the game can't go on?

No he was quoting war games the movie I guess you have never seen it or missed out on that part of the movie