Texas Tea Party...a heart?

Oh come on man really. Geography?? Snow storms? Hurricanes cause billions of dollars of damage every year. Now they don't just hit Texas but mainly in the south or southeast with its "preferred climate"

The Mexican border = cheap labor? Maybe so but it also means higher crime related costs.

And as LA said if geography had ANYTHING to do with the financial success of a state of CA it would be the 8th largest economy in the world. Oh wait......how's that working out for us? :wallbash:

Dude... Texas and Cali are still in a financial mess clusterphuck. Just because one is blessed and some area more recession proof than others that doesn't mean the two (financial mess and having not a bad economy) are directly tied to each other. Barring total collapse, business will still carry on... And it will happen in some places rather than others... SA is doing well given its physical attributes to keep people there... That is the NUMBER 1 reason. You guys are pulling the cart before the horse and refuse to give credit where credit is due.

Explain why my area in Illinois is doing well in this economy? Even with all the "high taxes" and other talking points. This area is the same type of area as BFLO, actually has higher taxes and more oppressive rules in place than NYS. Why are we better off and everybody in NYS is crying taxes... Labor... Whatever. Quinn is even going to raise the taxes in the state... Talk to me when everybody starts leaving and settling elsewhere. Why is CHI, NYC more recession proof than say DET or BFLO? Same with San Antonio and other areas. There are only so many places people can go that are favorable places to live.

Same with Texas. Texas has been a base for business for many years... In tough times, companies pull back to their base/HQ's and of course those areas spare the brunt.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too funny. regressing towards the mean, eh, conner? 3.5? Or is it pBills? Your posts have gone to hell. Oh, wait. Sorry. Your responces are good cut and pastes of the typical liberal slant here. You throwing the political Hack phrase out there is pretty funny, considering your recent posts. Keep it up though. Louder, and more often, please. Its a great read., :lol:

Thanks for the funny Geno pages at PPP. :lol:

You've got to go into sydication, they're brilliant posts. Really!!

I know I'm doing ok when people like you and LABillz are calling me out.

I know I'm doing ok when people like you and LABillz are calling me out.

Funny. You call LA out saying thats the best you got? And yet we have this post from you.

You're welcome to have opinions without objective evidence, just not well-supported ones.

Ironic.:lol:

Drink up young man. :lol:

SA is doing well given its physical attributes to keep people there... That is the NUMBER 1 reason. You guys are pulling the cart before the horse and refuse to give credit where credit is due.

Wait, you think people stay here because they like the physical attributes to the area? :lol: :lol:

The city is completely concrete, there's almost no green patches anywhere. There's no hills, it's all flat, unless you drive 40+ miles. The weather for the most part ranges in from being either pretty cold or really hot, without a ton of rain. There are only a couple of small areas of water for recreational areas, and they're about 30 minutes north of the city in New Braunfels. Outside of some really pain in the ass to get to areas in the far north reaches, the city is also pretty old.

There is such a lack of water here, the Natural Resources Defense Council gave us an extremely high risk rating. Currently, we're scheduled to run out of water by the year 2050. Our main water source is the Edwards Aquifer, and with the growth, we're using water at unsustainable rates. We have water restrictions that are in place about 9 months out of the year due to the water issues.

It's also damn dry most of the year, although we do have a few months where we get our heavy rainfall. Still, lots of burn bans throughout the year because of how hot and dry it is.

I don't really know what physical attributes you think this city has, but its FAR from a paradise. What makes San Antonio successful is its economy and the way the city is run, not its location.

Edited by BlueFire

Wait, you think people stay here because they like the physical attributes to the area? :lol: :lol:

The city is completely concrete, there's almost no green patches anywhere. There's no hills, it's all flat, unless you drive 40+ miles. The weather for the most part ranges in from being either pretty cold or really hot, without a ton of rain. There are only a couple of small areas of water for recreational areas, and they're about 30 minutes north of the city in New Braunfels. Outside of some really pain in the ass to get to areas in the far north reaches, the city is also pretty old.

There is such a lack of water here, the Natural Resources Defense Council gave us an extremely high risk rating. Currently, we're scheduled to run out of water by the year 2050. Our main water source is the Edwards Aquifer, and with the growth, we're using water at unsustainable rates. We have water restrictions that are in place about 9 months out of the year due to the water issues.

It's also damn dry most of the year, although we do have a few months where we get our heavy rainfall. Still, lots of burn bans throughout the year because of how hot and dry it is.

I don't really know what physical attributes you think this city has, but its FAR from a paradise.

I can't speak for the other partisan hacks, but that sounds geographically blessed to me.

Funny. You call LA out saying thats the best you got? And yet we have this post from you.

You're welcome to have opinions without objective evidence, just not well-supported ones.

Ironic.:lol:

Drink up young man. :lol:

My opinions about LABillz are well-supported. I could make the very same well-support claims about you. Nice of you to jump in and help out your comrade. :rolleyes:

I can't speak for the other partisan hacks, but that sounds geographically blessed to me.

Did Rush tell you to say that?

I don't really know what physical attributes you think this city has, but its FAR from a paradise. What makes San Antonio successful is its economy and the way the city is run, not its location.

But you've got a beautiful skyline, so your quality of life is awesome. [/conner]

And the northern CA bay area is just the opposite of what you described and we're in a economic crisis so I have no idea what his logic is.

Yeah... You sucked me into the San Antonio thing when at fist I said that Texas is geographically blessed... :wallbash: :wallbash:

What was the reason why SA was settled there? IS it the same reason today?

And the northern CA bay area is just the opposite of what you described and we're in a economic crisis so I have no idea what his logic is.

But San Fran is sorta recession-proof? I said sorta... Not as much as say NYC. Why?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

But San Fran is sorta recession-proof? I said sorta... Not as much as say NYC. Why?

CA's unemployment rate is >12% and is expected to be in double digits through 2013.

CA's unemployment rate is >12% and is expected to be in double digits through 2013.

I understand... But cetain cities will always pull peple in (to an extent) and not be ghostowns like DET or BFLO. It is like the real estate person says:

"Location, location, location!"

Where are people going to move? There are only so many prime locations.

Yeah... You sucked me into the San Antonio thing when at fist I said that Texas is geographically blessed... :wallbash: :wallbash:

What was the reason why SA was settled there? IS it the same reason today?

First off, I didn't suck you into anything. You started talking, incorrectly, about the state that I live in. I replied with the example I know the best, San Antonio, because I make it my home. I didn't have a "trick", "alterior motive", or anything else. Thanks for making me out to be some evil mastermind that was just out to get you. It helps my ego.

And the answer to your question can be found on Wikipedia if you'd like to read it.

Edited by BlueFire

First off, I didn't suck you into anything. You started talking, incorrectly, about the state that I live in. I replied with the example I know the best, San Antonio, because I make it my home. I didn't have a "trick", "alterior motive", or anything else. Thanks for making me out to be some evil mastermind that was just out to get you. It helps my ego.

And the answer to your question can be found on Wikipedia if you'd like to read it.

Ooops.. Sorry to push your buttons. I said Texas and you got defensive and narrowed it down to good ole San Antone... I was game, I played. You tell me why San Antonio was first settled there? If it is such a God awful place, what were the first settlers thinking? Anyway... Your answer will be way more valued than any Wiki entry.

But you don't want to answer that in your own words... You would rather have me look it. No, I asked you... You are such an expert... Just answer the Riddler's question mark. I am not gonna let you off the hook this easy... ;)

Not totally geography (yet some geo innvolved, ie: weather, strat location, etc.. etc... ) but telling info... I decided to take Blue's advice and look it up too:

"The city is also home to one of the largest military concentrations in the United States. The defense industry in San Antonio employs over 89,000 and provides a $5.25 billion impact to the city's economy."

Wow... That is way bigger than Beth Steel proportions in Lackawanna during the heyday in BFLO.

Nothing like feeding off the tit of the Fed to boost your economy!

It did. But that is a state thing. They do have a budget mess. Heck, my area's economy is going well in this enviro... Explain that? There are just some places that are more "recession proof" than others and it is mostly becasue of where they are situated.

SA at a "cross roads"?? From looking info on it... It seems to be? Situated in a favorable river valley for hundreds of years?

Take the Commodities Exchange away, the pension theft money that they're spending and not replacing, and the downstate tax revenue that doesn't get returned at even $.50 on the dollar and Chicagoland wouldn't look so rosy. Illinois is among the most broke states in the union and Chicago politics IS the reason.

You don't have more than a pedestrian understanding of what you're talking about.

Ooops.. Sorry to push your buttons. I said Texas and you got defensive and narrowed it down to good ole San Antone... I was game, I played.

Completely incorrect.

You didn't "push my buttons", I wanted to let you know that, outside of your own mind, there's no games being played.

You said the reason why Texas is doing well is because its geographically blessed. I then discussed the now 2nd largest city in Texas, and what has made it successful, to show that this real life example is completely contrary to your point.

Apparently you're willing to throw that example out to try to cling to your scraps, though.

You tell me why San Antonio was first settled there? If it is such a God awful place, what were the first settlers thinking? Anyway... Your answer will be way more valued than any Wiki entry.

But you don't want to answer that in your own words... You would rather have me look it. No, I asked you... You are such an expert... Just answer the Riddler's question mark. I am not gonna let you off the hook this easy... ;)

I explained to you why San Antonio is successful today. If you want to read up on history, go look it up. It's irrelevant.

It's like telling me to go look up why Las Vegas was settled. Las Vegas was geographically blessed to be near the Hoover Dam and have legalized gambling. It's completely irrelevant to why Vegas (a city with an economy driven by a single industry) is having problems today.

Not totally geography (yet some geo innvolved, ie: weather, strat location, etc.. etc... ) but telling info... I decided to take Blue's advice and look it up too:

"The city is also home to one of the largest military concentrations in the United States. The defense industry in San Antonio employs over 89,000 and provides a $5.25 billion impact to the city's economy."

Wow... That is way bigger than Beth Steel proportions in Lackawanna during the heyday in BFLO.

Nothing like feeding off the tit of the Fed to boost your economy!

Which I mentioned in my post that explained why San Antonio is being successful. It's also only half as much as we get from Tourism (by far our biggest industry), and is around the same amount we get from other sectors.

So, why do you think the US Military continues to decide to expand its bases in San Antonio (growing the economy) over somewhere else?

So, why do you think the US Military continues to decide to expand its bases in San Antonio (growing the economy) over somewhere else?

Nice climate.... Sure it gets hot, better than cold. Why do they launch shuttles in FLA? Land in Cali? Control in Houston... A stone's throw from SA.

You have it reversed. It is the other way around. Businesses will follow the military.

Yet, the saving grace here is eventually the climate will stymie the growth and what brought it life will kill it... Lack of water.

Nice climate.... Sure it gets hot, better than cold. Why do they launch shuttles in FLA? Land in Cali? Control in Houston... A stone's throw from SA.

You have it reversed. It is the other way around. Businesses will follow the military.

Yet, the saving grace here is eventually the climate will stymie the growth and what brought it life will kill it... Lack of water.

Do you honestly think military base locations are decided on a "nice climate"? Unbelivable even for you.

Do you honestly think military base locations are decided on a "nice climate"? Unbelivable even for you.

For that area yes, SA is also geographically strategic... Best of both worlds. For your area and other geographically strategic areas no.

We are talking about geography here and climate is part of geography...

Anyway... At this hour... Shouldn't you be field-testing honey dippers?

They launch shuttles from FL because it's close to the equator (which reduces launch costs) and open to the east (for safety). It has precisely ****-all to do with climate.

And they also land in FL. And mission control is in Houston because of politics - launch control, though, is at KSC.