Yet another thread on draft thoughts, scenarios

Tell that to Mike Mayock...

Mayock sees four quarterbacks with first-round ability: Gabbert, Auburn’s Cam Newton, Washington’s Jake Locker and Arkansas’ Ryan Mallet, but Gabbert is the only one he viewed as a top-10 pick coming out of the combine...“If I’m telling you he’s a top-10 pick, I’m willing to put my butt on the line and say he’s a top-one pick,” Mayock said.

Link-Mayock on Blaine Gabbert: ‘He’s a top-one pick’

:lol:

Well, actually, someone did know who Gabbert was before Luck didn't declare - Luck's coach, Jim Harbaugh...

While coaching at Stanford, Jim Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert, who was considered the best pro-style quarterback coming out of high school at the time. Apparently, he actually does have a decent amount of experience and skill under center.

(link)

Word is that Harbaugh actually wanted Gabbert, liking him even more than he liked Andy Luck.

Your comments regarding Blaine Gabbert are ludicrous. You need to clear your head of your Kim Newton love - it's making you delusional.

Exactly :thumbsup:

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolb wouldnt be any better than anything the bills have had in the last 10 years.Im not a fan of Kolb and do you really think that if he was any good that the Eagles would let there young QB of the future be replaced by Vick,and trade him for a secnd.The Eagles see now that he wont be the guy so Vick fills in short term until they find him.No thanks on Kolb and No thanks on Newton in any round......

People need to get a grip with the Fitz talk about his 23 TD's in 13 games...he got EIGHT of them in 2 games (and he was atrocious vs Cincy until BOTH starting safeties left the game) and picked up a worthless garbage time TD in the final minutes of each of his first 3 starts. His TD numbers are not very good on a game to game basis and he is near the bottom of the league in most of the other key QB categories...his season was not that good and this team needs a QB to develop to be the starter. Fitz is a good stop gap at best

Let me drop some knowledge on you about Ryan Fitzpatricks' 2010 season…

Stevie Johnson, previously a no name player - 10 TDs, 82 receptions

David Nelson, previously a no name undrafted free agent rookie - 3 TDs 31 receptions

No running game - take away Fitzpatricks' 269 rushing yards and the Bills ranked 30th in rushing in the NFL

6 rushing TDs - Bills ranked 32nd in the league in rushing TDs

Bills ranked 27th in turnovers on defense (equals lack of shortened fields)

No tight end threat

Given all of these parameters, Ryan Fitzpatrick STILL threw 23 TDs in 13 games. You can try to make fun of that, but you're the one who's looking silly. His 23 TDs rank as the 9th best season in Bills history. He was literally the only offensive threat the Bills had. Teams knew they had no rushing attack, teams knew they were going to throw the ball, yet he was still able to throw TD passes. Imagine how good Fitzpatrick would look if the Bills had a running game. A tight end threat. A ball hawking defense.

Get your head out of the clouds and stop looking at Gabbert and Newton like they're David Cassidy and Donnie Osmond and you're a young girl in the early 70s. This team needs defense, not dreamy franchise QB wannabes.

Given all of these parameters, Ryan Fitzpatrick STILL threw 23 TDs in 13 games. You can try to make fun of that, but you're the one who's looking silly. His 23 TDs rank as the 9th best season in Bills history. He was literally the only offensive threat the Bills had. Teams knew they had no rushing attack, teams knew they were going to throw the ball, yet he was still able to throw TD passes. Imagine how good Fitzpatrick would look if the Bills had a running game. A tight end threat. A ball hawking defense.

Get your head out of the clouds and stop looking at Gabbert and Newton like they're David Cassidy and Donnie Osmond and you're a young girl in the early 70s. This team needs defense, not dreamy franchise QB wannabes.

History doesn't matter as rules have changed, how did he rank amongst current NFL QBs? Mediocre to bad.

Did Nix seriously say anything that can reasonably be interpreted as "happy with Maybin"?

Linky please?

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills-Focus-Buddy-Nix-1-on-1/18e14493-81e1-42b9-b42e-5f413c79afa2

2:43

"...in fact we feel good about outside linebacker, we need a couple of inside backers"

Maybin plays OLB, the OP also said "and maybe Maybin."

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

No thanks;

1. QB Blaine Gabbert 6'4" 234 (need a franchise, good arm, feet and brains)

2. ROT Marcus Cannon 6'5" 358 (BIG MAN with good feet and agility)

3. DE Allen Baily 6'3" 285 (physical player strong rush moves)

4. ILB Colin Mcarthy 6'1' 235 (puts the hammer down, take notes Poz)

4. NT Kendrick Ellis 6'5" 340(sorry not buying Nix smoke about being set at NT/DT)

5. OLB Steve Friday 6'4" 250 (or that he is fine with Merriman and Co.)

6. TE Lee Smith 6'6" 269 (Good hands great blocker)

7. ILB Alex Wujciak 6'3" 255 (solid, gamer)

I like your first 2 picks and last 2 picks a lot. I think Kenrick Ellis is going to go early 3rd, remotely-possibly to us, but there aren't many NT's in the draft and there's a big need. Someone will reach.

I like your first 2 picks and last 2 picks a lot. I think Kenrick Ellis is going to go early 3rd, remotely-possibly to us, but there aren't many NT's in the draft and there's a big need. Someone will reach.

I think they typically stay away from guys with character concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if Kenrick Ellis and Phil Taylor are both taken off their board.

History doesn't matter as rules have changed, how did he rank amongst current NFL QBs? Mediocre to bad.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills-Focus-Buddy-Nix-1-on-1/18e14493-81e1-42b9-b42e-5f413c79afa2

2:43

"...in fact we feel good about outside linebacker, we need a couple of inside linebackers"

Maybin plays OLB

Did you not read all of the the parameters I listed? So 23 TDs in 13 games is now considered a mediocre to bad performance by the Einsteins here?...LOL He ranked 13th in TDs thrown and that's with three less games than everybody else. If he played three extra games and averaged his TDs thrown he'd have been right behind Aaron Rodgers. Look, you can go ga ga and drool over Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton all you want, the Bills need the adults in the room to pick Fairley, Dareus, Miller, Quinn or Bowers as their first round selection and let some other team waste four years on these wannabe QBs. Our team needs to grow up and start making intelligent decisions.

Probably wont happen but you never know with our FO. I thought all that Spiller talk was just Network BS untill it happened :blink::doh::angry::wallbash: I was livid for awhile and then I talked myself into thinking at least we got the best player at his position :lol: :lol: :lol: Now I'm sticking with view on the player regardless of who we pick because so far what I thought about each player was right before I started drinkin the cool-aid.

Now that's the sound of a sane man talking.

All the fan-boys-and-girls have to remember is one thing that puts their fandom in proper perspective.

It's up to the player to prove on the field in the NFL to the world that they belong in the league.

Wishing and hoping doesn't cut it. Draft whomever the FO will - then have the guy go out and prove they deserved to be the pick.

Gailey isn't the only one making the picks: Nix has Rivers on his resume from SD, and Whaley has Roethlisberger on his from Pitt.

If the draft is deep at these positions wouldn't they be better served to draft Dline in the middle to later rounds. Especially with their investment at Dline in last years draft.

You are right. I went too far ascribing the draft as one man's choice and vision.

That being said it is a Gailey O they are trying to run and the simple fact is that historically with his style it is one which puts a premium on football intellect (a rookie might or might not have it), toughness, athleticism, and at least a couple of years seeing NFL Ds in practice and in gametime.

A rookie is simply going to flat out lack the last item.

The question to me is will he survive for two years behind our OL to get that experience?

This OL is at least a player (starting RT) and a half (a swing guy who can back-up several positions or create tbe flexibility to allow 2 guys to back-up without missing a beat) from being adequate.

Add to this a year to get chemistry.

I find it hard to see any QB surviving with this OL unless he is a smart enough vet to often be able to see where the blitz may well be coming from and also have the football sense to duck and cover when needed.

Did you not read all of the the parameters I listed? So 23 TDs in 13 games is now considered a mediocre to bad performance by the Einsteins here?...LOL He ranked 13th in TDs thrown and that's with three less games than everybody else. If he played three extra games and averaged his TDs thrown he'd have been right behind Aaron Rodgers. Look, you can go ga ga and drool over Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton all you want, the Bills need the adults in the room to pick Fairley, Dareus, Miller, Quinn or Bowers as their first round selection and let some other team waste four years on these wannabe QBs. Our team needs to grow up and start making intelligent decisions.

17th in yards per game.

22nd in QB rating.

27th in completion percentage.

tied for 9th in total interceptions despite "playing 3 less games."

Also, Rodgers/Cassell/Cutler only played 15 games (Garrard 14), if you're going to add games back for Fitz gotta do it for everyone else.

Mediocre to bad.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Julio Jones is arguably as good as AJ Green. There is very little difference in potential.

Cam is a cerebral, team captain at a position of need, Cam Jordan that is.

If you're trying to predict the unpredictable Bills drafting style I'm going with Cam Jordan, he is a Top 10 pick.

I know this thread is more about who the Bills will surprise people with at the 3 pick, but, the more I consider our needs, the more I wish Buddy Nix could find a way to trade down some and pick up an extra second round pick. My reasoning is simple: the guys that could really help us aren't necessarily 3 picks. Guys like Cam Jordan, Quinn or Von Miller, or a QB - one of these guys could probably be had at around 8-10. Now, if we're sitting at 8-10 already I'd be complaining, only because there's no compensation in the form of extra picks to be there; I'm just thinking that guys like Phil Taylor, Martez Wilson, one of the QB's like Mallet or Locker - the fringe 2nd rounders, there are a group of guys we would do well to get with our second pick that are close to where we'll be drafting, but might be gone just five to ten picks earlier, that could make a great one-two punch with our first picks.

Either way, the cards might fall right for us. It is a very deep draft and we should be picking starters until round 4, I think.

Anyway, there are a lot of potentially great picks in the first 2/3 rounds this year. More than we'll see in next year's draft, I think. So, I believe, even if we have to give up something in next years draft, we should do what we can to trade up a little to grab where the strength is this year, and walk out of the first few rounds with a combination of guys like Dareus/Cam Jordan, Phil Taylor, Martez Wilson, Peterson, Paea, Kelvin Sheppard, Miller, Quinn, Sturdinvant, Heyward - these guys will be going in the first 3 rounds. If we can manage to walk away with a DE, NT, and ILB out of the bunch, preferably both ILB and OLB by round 4, then we can add them to our young front seven and not worry about it again for five years. Go with what the draft has to offer. This year it's big defensemen.

And, I think, it's a deep draft for QB's - we might see a good one fall.

17th in yards per game.

22nd in QB rating.

Also, Rodgers/Cassell/Cutler only played 15 games (Garrard 14), if you're going to add games back for Fitz gotta do it for everyone else.

Mediocre to bad.

Again...throwing to previous nobodies, free agent rookies, having no tight end threat, no running game threat, no shortened fields. Sorry, but fans who try to downplay Fitzpatrick's very solid 2010 season know very little about the game of football.

I know this thread is more about who the Bills will surprise people with at the 3 pick, but, the more I consider our needs, the more I wish Buddy Nix could find a way to trade down some and pick up an extra second round pick. My reasoning is simple: the guys that could really help us aren't necessarily 3 picks. Guys like Cam Jordan, Quinn or Von Miller, or a QB - one of these guys could probably be had at around 8-10. Now, if we're sitting at 8-10 already I'd be complaining, only because there's no compensation in the form of extra picks to be there; I'm just thinking that guys like Phil Taylor, Martez Wilson, one of the QB's like Mallet or Locker - the fringe 2nd rounders, there are a group of guys we would do well to get with our second pick that are close to where we'll be drafting, but might be gone just five to ten picks earlier, that could make a great one-two punch with our first picks.

Either way, the cards might fall right for us. It is a very deep draft and we should be picking starters until round 4, I think.

Anyway, there are a lot of potentially great picks in the first 2/3 rounds this year. More than we'll see in next year's draft, I think. So, I believe, even if we have to give up something in next years draft, we should do what we can to trade up a little to grab where the strength is this year, and walk out of the first few rounds with a combination of guys like Dareus/Cam Jordan, Phil Taylor, Martez Wilson, Peterson, Paea, Kelvin Sheppard, Miller, Quinn, Sturdinvant, Heyward - these guys will be going in the first 3 rounds. If we can manage to walk away with a DE, NT, and ILB out of the bunch, preferably both ILB and OLB by round 4, then we can add them to our young front seven and not worry about it again for five years. Go with what the draft has to offer. This year it's big defensemen.

And, I think, it's a deep draft for QB's - we might see a good one fall.

There is no reasoning needed 90% of the Bills fans the Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, and Cincinati Bengals all would like to trade down. They also would all like to have Matt Ryan as their QB, it's not likely either is going to happen.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Julio Jones is arguably as good as AJ Green. There is very little difference in potential.

Cam is a cerebral, team captain at a position of need, Cam Jordan that is.

If you're trying to predict the unpredictable Bills drafting style I'm going with Cam Jordan, he is a Top 10 pick.

Cam Jordan at #3 wouldn't piss me off as much. I think Jordan is a player who can come into the league and start for you right away. A bit of a reach at #3 considering the other players that will be available...but at least he would fill a need. I like Jordan, and if any trade-downs whind up happening, I'd be all for getting him.

17th in yards per game.

22nd in QB rating.

Mediocre to bad.

I don't think we need to start annointing him the next coming of Johnny Unitas just yet, but to call his performance mediocre to bad is kind of obtuse. You seem to cherry pick your situations and pull out all the negatives (i.e. garbage time TDs) and dismiss the mitigating factors (garbage team with no name receivers and the worst OL in the league). I think you're smarter than this, it sounds like you have just decided to dig your heels in on an anti-Fitz stance and have determined not to be swayed.