I'm Gaining Interest in Blaine Gabbert

You are bashing Gabbert pretty good off things you "heard". I've watched the guy plan a ton of times and he's legit. He's got the arm, mobility, athleticism. He was recruited to a pro-style offense and they recently converted to the spread, so yeah he's played in the pro offense.

One of his best skills is actually reading defenses down the field and hitting guys on deep comebacks or out routes, one of the most difficult things to do as a QB. He can run, but yeah, at this point a blitz rush right up the middle cripples him. He can take a hit and is a tough kid, but you would need to build a solid line in front of him for him to be effective. He's not Drew Bledsoe, but he's also not Michael Vick.

All I'm saying is before you bash the guy actually watch him play. He might suprise you.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630777

Reading Defenses: Will take time to transition to the NFL because he runs the typical spread offense. Only reads one receiver on many plays, or even half of one side of the field. Stares down receivers and defenders read him easily. Does not look for secondary receivers, tends to take off instead. Fails to see blitzes coming consistently, even when they aren't disguised.

No one even heard of Blaine Gabbert until Luck dropped out of the draft. I think this is just people wishing there were a franchise guy in this draft when there isn't.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading Defenses: Will take time to transition to the NFL because he runs the typical spread offense. Only reads one receiver on many plays, or even half of one side of the field. Stares down receivers and defenders read him easily. Does not look for secondary receivers, tends to take off instead. Fails to see blitzes coming consistently, even when they aren't disguised.

No one even heard of Blaine Gabbert until Luck dropped out of the draft. I think this is just people wishing there were a franchise guy in this draft when there isn't.

Gabbert has been personally tutored in a pro-style offense since he was fifteen so reading NFL Ds won't be a problem, Kid is a natural leader and very hard worker with talent to boot and is our franchise QB.

That is 90% of college QBs. There is always a transition period. He has the tools and the smarts to do it. Thats all that matters.

Some people follow college football, some don't. You clearly don't otherwise you would have known who he was. Gabbert was one of the top recruits coming out of High School. Missouri just wasn't that good.

It was a writer's opinion at CBS that he can't read defenses. In my opinion, I thought he did a pretty good job of looking off LBs and DBs to create a lane to throw. He did not have to make multiple NFL reads - but virtually no college QBs do, especially Newton.

There's no doubt there is a learning curve, but I personally think he's the best out there.

You are bashing Gabbert pretty good off things you "heard".......

All I'm saying is before you bash the guy actually watch him play. He might suprise you.

No, let him go.

It's been really entertaining so far. :lol:

Some people follow college football, some don't. You clearly don't otherwise you would have known who he was. Gabbert was one of the top recruits coming out of High School. Missouri just wasn't that good.

It was a writer's opinion at CBS that he can't read defenses. In my opinion, I thought he did a pretty good job of looking off LBs and DBs to create a lane to throw. He did not have to make multiple NFL reads - but virtually no college QBs do, especially Newton.

There's no doubt there is a learning curve, but I personally think he's the best out there.

Read the comments from your own Missouri fans...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/33918/mailbag-questioning-blaine-gabbert

Someone's glad he left so Franklin can play!...LOL They also have no idea how Blaine has ascended so fast and think that Ryan Mallett is the better pro prospect.

So even Missouri fans divided on the ability of their own former QB that some are projecting as a #1 pick. That alone there scares the heck out of me.

One thing you cant argue are these facts listed below...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/605635-2011-nfl-draft-why-cam-newton-has-a-brighter-nfl-future-than-blaine-gabbert

Now I'm not officially a Newton for #3 guy, but I'd pick both Newton or Mallett before I'd pick Gabbert. He does have top ten hair though.

No, let him go.

It's been really entertaining so far. :lol:

Newsflash, there are VERY few college football gurus here on this board. We're all going off of articles, youtube clips, blogs and message boards. Sorry, I see the Gabbert hype train start on this board and it doesn't quite match up with what I've been reading about him.

If hew was so highly ranked out of HS why did he go to Missouri????? To avoid pressure?

Newsflash, there are VERY few college football gurus here on this board.

And even fewer who just blatantly make up inaccurate crap to present themselves as knowledgeable so they can embark on ill-informed hate-fests on guys they've never even seen play.

It's high quality entertainment. :thumbsup:

I agree, but the real problem for that now is that the media experts are expecting Carolina to take Gabbert at #1 so it may be a moot point what the Bills think of him.

IMO, there is about as much of a chance of Jamarcus Russell winning the NFL MVP this year, as there is of Carolina taking Gabbert at #1...Despite the fact that he sucks, they took claussen early last year....THEN they took pike as well. There is no way Gabbert has shown enough to be #1 over the more proven talent in this draft, especially to a team that just drafted TWO touted QB's last year.

Now I'm not officially a Newton for #3 guy, but I'd pick both Newton or Mallett before I'd pick Gabbert. He does have top ten hair though.

IMO, Newton>Gabbert, Mallett=Ryan Leif/Drew Bledsoe Combo

And even fewer who just blatantly make up inaccurate crap to present themselves as knowledgeable so they can embark on ill-informed hate-fests on guys they've never even seen play.

It's high quality entertainment. :thumbsup:

So the CBS Sports draft guy is just making stuff up? Why would he do that?

Just doing a simple google search on "Blaine Gabbert" and "bust" and you come up with articles like this guy who's a Missouri fan...

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2011/3/3/2027652/2011-draft-bust-blaine-gabbert

Yet he's being touted here as a guy we should pick at #3? We clearly aren't a team that's desperate enough to take a HUGE gamble on a low production QB like Gabbert who has so many question marks.

The only QB to consider at #3 would be Cam Newton (I did watch four of his games last season). He's the only guy who looks like he has true franchise QB potential in this draft.

If hew was so highly ranked out of HS why did he go to Missouri????? To avoid pressure?

That's where he's from my man. Recruited by every major program - decided to stay at home. I can respect that.

So the CBS Sports draft guy is just making stuff up? Why would he do that?

Just doing a simple google search on "Blaine Gabbert" and "bust" and you come up with articles like this guy who's a Missouri fan...

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2011/3/3/2027652/2011-draft-bust-blaine-gabbert

Yet he's being touted here as a guy we should pick at #3? We clearly aren't a team that's desperate enough to take a HUGE gamble on a low production QB like Gabbert who has so many question marks.

The only QB to consider at #3 would be Cam Newton (I did watch four of his games last season). He's the only guy who looks like he has true franchise QB potential in this draft.

Look - you can find people on both sides of every debate. All I'm saying is I've watched him live first hand a ton of times and was overall impressed with what I would believe to be a top NFL skill set. I respect other experts opinions and take that into consideration, but otherwise make my own opinion.

I think the kid can play.

That's where he's from my man. Recruited by every major program - decided to stay at home. I can respect that.

Look - you can find people on both sides of every debate. All I'm saying is I've watched him live first hand a ton of times and was overall impressed with what I would believe to be a top NFL skill set. I respect other experts opinions and take that into consideration, but otherwise make my own opinion.

I think the kid can play.

And I'm just trying to provide the other side that I was picking up on. Doesn't that article at least give you serious pause? It was very in depth and provided eye popping comparisons to Daniels and Bradford.

I just don't think that Gabbert is even on the Bills' board at all. I do think that Newton is on their board and a possibility at #3. In the end, I see Panthers taking Newton, Bills taking Dareus and Gabbert going to the Bengals. If the Panthers pass on Newton, look out...LOL

Nice deflection but it's obvious that you're the one making stuff up.

Nice deflection yourself, did you read that article? What did you think of it?

Nice deflection yourself, did you read that article? What did you think of it?

Not sure what deflection you're referring to. Since I don't make stuff up and then go on ill-informed rants about things I know little about, I don't have to deflect much.

No, I didn't read the article. I have no interest in Gabbert at the top of the first and he'll be gone by the top of the second so he's not a factor in my mind. Besides, a bunch of newsprint isn't likely to change my mind about what my eyes have already told me.

Not sure what deflection you're referring to. Since I don't make stuff up and then go on ill-informed rants about things I know little about, I don't have to deflect much.

No, I didn't read the article. I have no interest in Gabbert at the top of the first and he'll be gone by the top of the second so he's not a factor in my mind. Besides, a bunch of newsprint isn't likely to change my mind about what my eyes have already told me.

Next time try reading the links I posted. I'm not making stuff up, I'm providing contrary opinions about Blaine Gabbert. BTW, it's a very good article.

I'm not making stuff up....

Yes you are.

No one even heard of Blaine Gabbert until Luck dropped out of the draft.

Garbage

Gabbert gets major jitters when he's being blitzed.

Garbage

If you liked Todd Marinovich, you'll love Blaine Gabbert. Just ask him.

Garbage

He may say that he'll out work everybody, but that means nothing when you have no pocket presence under pressure and you're afraid of the blitz. He looks like a wimp, sounds like a wimp, plays like a wimp and has a wimpy name (not his fault obviously). If you have to tell people how good you are then you probably suck.

Garbage

Taking Gabbert sets this team back another 5 years.

Garbage

You'd have to get your head examined if you bet on a guy who has never proven he can throw a TD pass by dropping back, facing a pass rush and throwing a TD to someone that wasn't you first read.

Garbage

he crumbles at the first sign of a pass rush... he's not tough

Garbage

This kid's nothing more than a marketing pitch. He's not a franchise quarterback. Blaine Gabbert, just the name alone SCREAMS bust. He'll be the worst QB taken in the first three rounds of this draft.

Garbage

can this silver-spoon puke stop saying that he's more competitive and works harder than everybody?

Garbage

Yes you are.

Garbage

Garbage

Garbage

Garbage

Garbage

Garbage

Garbage

Garbage

Garbage

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's time to keep this thread at the top of page and deep six Newton's :sick:

All Gabbert all the Time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do realize that Sam Bradford had his reads called into him after his coaches analyzed the defensive formation before the ball was snapped. They actually told him where to throw the ball.

There's a lot of crap college QBs have to re-learn in the pros, just as there's a lot of bad habits they have to drop. This is hardly news worthy, but it seems like you're expecting a prospect w/o any flaws whatsoever.