Brian Brohm Released

:huh:

First of all Joe, you should change the title of the thread. You make it sound like Brohm has been released. Secondly, and maybe I am alone on this, but I highly doubt it, Your new avatar of your shirtless self must go. It's creepin me out. And all this time I just thought you liked beer. :huh:

The reason the title of the thread reads the way it does, is because of these quotes from the linked-article

"With that said, it’s worth noting who is not getting tendered around the league because we know those players won’t be returning to their teams.

"Bills quarterback Brian Brohm: The former Packers second round draft pick wasn’t listed on he Bills’ list of RFAs. They still could tender Brohm on Thursday, but it’s more likely Buffalo is just giving up. Brohm could fall right out of the league."

Edited by karl malones other son

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no denial. I'm not saying he's great or anything, but I still think he has the tools to become a productive qb in this league. You've seen 2 games from him, under less than stellar conditions no less, and you have him all figured out? That's mighty impressive. Chan should be able to use you on the staff.

The first time he got to play year before last against atlanta, he was only here 5 weeks or so and the line was decimated. he had absolutely no chance to succeed. This year when he got his shot the line was in shambles again, the 32nd ranked defense against the run and playing against the jets or patriots i cant remember which. And it was his first live game since preseason. I don't even think Fitz would have looked good against them the way the team was playing and with all the injuries.

So for me, I am not ready to write him off. Like I said, Chan has done more with less so there is the chance that he could get something out of him yet. I know I am in the minority here but I'd like to see him play with the starters , when they are all healthy, for a few games, and then I can accurately judge what you and a lot of others think you know. Till they draft a stud and/or let brohm go, I'm still gonna back the guy.

The league has him all figured out. Even before the Atlanta game I knew the odds were VERY MUCH against him because the professionals just let the guy clear waivers, virtually unheard of for a 2nd year former 2nd round QB. The 2 games he started PLUS all those non touchdown drives should convince anyone but you & the most die hard Brohm fans that the league's best GMs, GB's, Indy's, Balt's etal were right when he cleared waivers. I've heard all the excuses OVER & OVER again. Isn't it about time to see that any time Brohm plays in an NFL game he has no chance to succeed, under any circumstances? If you want to see how an inexperienced player who is suddenly thrust into action unexpectedly should respond, look up Ryan Fitzpatrick's debut in St. Louis as a rookie. After you do, tell me why anyone who ever advocated Brohm starting shouldn't just be ashamed of themselves.

Just goes to show how risky a proposition drafting a QB can be - and how wrong most of the pundits usually are, as some of them had Brohm pegged as the #1-overall pick had he entered the 2007 draft.

Yep it is amazing just how far he "fell." I was one of the people hoping that Green Bay was wrong about him but it seems they were not.

So just to clarify, do you want the Bills to Draft Cam Newton?

Yes, I do... Any other questions?

"I got an idea. Why don't I make a thread using nothing but opinion and speculation and just pass it off as fact."

But seriously, we were going to draft a QB before Brohm got released. Brohm just sucks so why keep him?

BINGO!

Jeez, God forbid some of us want our 2nd string qb to play well. Good thing I'm a good swimmer I guess.

But please tell me where in the article it says Brian Brohm has been released? He just wasn't tendered and he might not be a free agent anyway, depending on what happens with the cba.

How bout wanting the 1st string QB to play well???? Bring your snorkel for that dive you may see some old Todd Collins fans at the bottom of lake erie...

Welp! I guess all the Broom supporters are going to jump off the peace bridge now... I hope they can swim :oops: ... Now that he's gone more room for CAM NEWTON!...

(Im the first to mention Cam do I get a prize? Even tho I felt a slight Cam dis coming from our ^TBD government^ LOL...)

ohhh he was on the Bills? lol.. Hope he bought stock on pine trees!

Brohm was given the opportunity to show something. He didn't, and wasn't resigned.

I don't feel bad about it. I'm glad the Bills took the chance. Sometimes guys will turn it around with another team. He wasn't that guy.

On drafting a QB, I'd hate seeing the 2nd rounder being used on drafting one.

I could see the Bills drafting Ponder if he is there in the 3rd, or Dalton if he is not.... then again with so many needs at LB-O Line, maybe not.

The league has him all figured out. Even before the Atlanta game I knew the odds were VERY MUCH against him because the professionals just let the guy clear waivers, virtually unheard of for a 2nd year former 2nd round QB. The 2 games he started PLUS all those non touchdown drives should convince anyone but you & the most die hard Brohm fans that the league's best GMs, GB's, Indy's, Balt's etal were right when he cleared waivers. I've heard all the excuses OVER & OVER again. Isn't it about time to see that any time Brohm plays in an NFL game he has no chance to succeed, under any circumstances? If you want to see how an inexperienced player who is suddenly thrust into action unexpectedly should respond, look up Ryan Fitzpatrick's debut in St. Louis as a rookie. After you do, tell me why anyone who ever advocated Brohm starting shouldn't just be ashamed of themselves.

How the hell do you know what everyone in the league thinks about Brohm?? give me a break.

And with that logic about fitz starting for st louis, Rob Johnson had one awesome game coming in cold and then we traded a first round pic for him. how did that work out? You just don't judge someone on 1 or two games. Especially the toughest position to fill with not much supporting cast to help him. And i can't honestly judge Fitzs' first start without knowing what the rest of the Rams were like at the time.... Ryan Fitzpatrick had his share of crappy games. But he also got the time needed to grow at the position. Brohm hasn't had that opportunity. Regardless, Chan gailey has only had 1 year with him. And another year of tutelage might be all it takes. No one knows. how many years did rogers sit on the bench before he got his chance? One thing is for sure, If we are giving maybin 1 more year or pre-season to make it, we damn well better give Brohm the same chance. We've got nothing to lose and possibly everything to gain.

Look, I'm not gonna respond to this again. you hate Brohm and your mind is made up. I think he should be groomed for the job and he could possibly become the qb we are looking for with some more work. And until I see him get a real tangible chance , I am not going to change how i feel.

How the hell do you know what everyone in the league thinks about Brohm?? give me a break.

And with that logic about fitz starting for st louis, Rob Johnson had one awesome game coming in cold and then we traded a first round pic for him. how did that work out? You just don't judge someone on 1 or two games. Especially the toughest position to fill with not much supporting cast to help him. And i can't honestly judge Fitzs' first start without knowing what the rest of the Rams were like at the time.... Ryan Fitzpatrick had his share of crappy games. But he also got the time needed to grow at the position. Brohm hasn't had that opportunity. Regardless, Chan gailey has only had 1 year with him. And another year of tutelage might be all it takes. No one knows. how many years did rogers sit on the bench before he got his chance? One thing is for sure, If we are giving maybin 1 more year or pre-season to make it, we damn well better give Brohm the same chance. We've got nothing to lose and possibly everything to gain.

Look, I'm not gonna respond to this again. you hate Brohm and your mind is made up. I think he should be groomed for the job and he could possibly become the qb we are looking for with some more work. And until I see him get a real tangible chance , I am not going to change how i feel.

He cleared waivers as a 2nd year player-that's how I know what everyone in the league thinks about Brohm. Every GM passed on the guy because their files on the guy indicated he wasn't even good enough to claim off of waivers. If you think that it is totally meaningless that a 2nd round pick was not picked up when placed on waivers one year after he was drafted, you're clueless! Every team tracks players throughout their careers. When a player the team was high on before the draft gets waived by his team, they get their latest reports and make a decision. These include pro scouting reports from exhibition games & any real games the guy has played in. The NFL teams wait for guys they have keyed on to get cut & make an effort to pick the guy up if he becomes available-no team was even willing to take a waiver flyer on the guy in September 2009.

For the last time I don't hate Brian Brohm. I only hate hearing the BS excuses that you Brohm fanatics make every time the guy proves me & the NFL professionals right and yourselves wrong.

Why is it that every time Brian Brohm has been in a game, preseason or regular season, his team has not been able to reach the endzone in any drive he's played in? If anything it's probably his coaches who hate the guy, because he's totally ineffective as a QB, not fans like me, who just want better players so our team can actually start to be a contender again.

Cutting Brohm loose in all likelihood means Bills will draft a QB. They won't go with just Fitz (who they're not completely sold on) and the unheralded, once cut Brown.

I don't see them bringing in a vet to backup a vet either ... doesn't make sense with a guy like Chan who wants his own "franchise QB."

So methinks they must be targeting one in the draft. Likely a 1st or 2nd rounder since they don't want another late rounder like Brown on the roster.

I don't like the implications either:

- use #3 pick, when I don't see any QB worthy of it;

- or use #35 pick for best QB available, which likely means drafting DFensive front 7 at 3 (where I think there's better quality than the QB class, but still not worthy of #3. I want a true elite player like Peterson or Green.)

So we either use our most valuable pick on a QB that we will have to pay and play for years even though odds are he may not be worth it, or make the mistake of drafting for need at #3 with a reach on DFensive front 7, and follow that up with another reach in Rd 2 by just going with best QB, no matter where he really rates.

If that's the case, as poor as Brohm looks, I wish we'd just keep him for another year. :blink:

plenty of back-ups available. alex smith, tavaris smith, troy smith, alias smith. all adequate back-ups, none very good.

Cutting Brohm loose in all likelihood means Bills will draft a QB. They won't go with just Fitz (who they're not completely sold on) and the unheralded, once cut Brown.

I don't see them bringing in a vet to backup a vet either ... doesn't make sense with a guy like Chan who wants his own "franchise QB."

So methinks they must be targeting one in the draft. Likely a 1st or 2nd rounder since they don't want another late rounder like Brown on the roster.

Lots of assumptions there, possibly conflating a longer-term need (Chan wants his own franchise QB) with a short-term need (need a backup QB to Fitz)

EVen if we draft a QB, with Fitz starting we need a veteran backup who can come in cold off the bench and get the job done.

Whether or not Brohm could start, I think the Jets game showed he isn't that guy for the Bills. There are a number of adequate to good veteran backups who will be free agents.

The Bills could easily plan to pick one up. Or, they could feel that Brown has learned enough and shown enough on the bench to get more reps as the scout team QB.

Or, they could pull a Belicheck and pick up another late rounder, let him and Levi duel it out to see who stays as the backup (repeat until Matt Cassel equivalent is sitting on the bench)

I don't see how any of these options have been ruled out by not tendering Brohm. It's interesting (to me) that they didn't just cut him, which would allow him to be signed by other teams.

Perhaps they'll trade the #3 to Philly for Kolb.