Its not their money. Its a national resourse.

Damn that Gates Foundation and their lack of productivity.

I know. That's money the government could be putting to better use. Like paying government workers (preferably unionized), overpaying for federal contracts, travel, advertising, per diem, gas mileage, rent on office space, utility bills for federal offices, overhead, and whatever is left over for the pet projects of some Senator/Congresscritter

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now can cut the Bull and take a look at the real class war- broken down in graphs so no heavy reading for the easily bored.

link

That's a really great chart. I really love the way they make it look like there are so many people in the top .01% by giving it a really, really, really big dollar sign. The only thing that chart is missing is a sidebar article from Paul Krugman explaining how computers are taking over the world and the only way to fight back is to give everyone free health care and a union card.

Yeah, it's money you earn that can be taken from you at someone else's discretion.

Some would call that servitude. Or maybe even a degree of slavery. But its for the greater good. Right?

The argument that the government will screw it up with whatever money they get is a valid one. Took you long enough to get there.

So if it's a valid point what is yours? So because 8% of the super wealthy just might be evil we should tax all the super wealthy more and give it all to one entity which you agree will screw it up. Did I get that right?

Oh and sorry it took me so long to get there.

So if it's a valid point what is yours? So because 8% of the super wealthy just might be evil we should tax all the super wealthy more and give it all to one entity which you agree will screw it up. Did I get that right?

Oh and sorry it took me so long to get there.

Because the super-wealthy are selfishly monopolizing a national resource. Don't forget that part.

Because the super-wealthy are selfishly monopolizing a national resource. Don't forget that part.

And here's the funny part. A large portion of assets of super-wealthy are not liquid. What does Moore want them to do? Sell off a part of their assets. Let's say, oh I don't know, a football team and give it to the government? So which part of the team should Ralph sell? Personally I'm thinking the d-line.

I know. That's money the government could be putting to better use. Like paying government workers (preferably unionized), overpaying for federal contracts, travel, advertising, per diem, gas mileage, rent on office space, utility bills for federal offices, overhead, and whatever is left over for the pet projects of some Senator/Congresscritter

Forget that. What about just taking that Gates money and using it to make a tiny dent in the national debt...giving it back to the EVIL BANKS!

Or organizations "over paying" for computers the Gates Foundation "gives" away.

That's a really great chart. I really love the way they make it look like there are so many people in the top .01% by giving it a really, really, really big dollar sign. The only thing that chart is missing is a sidebar article from Paul Krugman explaining how computers are taking over the world and the only way to fight back is to give everyone free health care and a union card.

Lybob, Mother Jones and "real" classwarfare.... ok, thats all I needed to know

so many people? the graph shows average family incomes of different percentiles - you do know how to read a graph don't you because those were pretty simple graphs- if you want to contest the information fine but back it up.

I am sorry.. I didn't mean it to sound like that. True, you know my beliefs... Again, I didn't mean it to be taken negative. It is what it is I suppose. Most money is made through inheritence and in sales... It feeds itself. If one wants to really get ahead... Hawk something. Hawking "something" could be anything.

Telling somebody else that: "All it takes is hard work." Is a bit misleading.

"Work smart not hard" does have its place. People in all professions still earn their wages.

I think you are confusing obtained with created, and focusing unduly on the source of individual wealth.

It is certainly true that a great deal of wealth is inherited - the percentage of those whose assets qualify them as 'rich' are disporportionately inherited. But if you actually track it, you see that most inherited fortunes dissipate over time.

On the other hand, consider the wealth of the nation. It increases over time. Not because another founding father kicked the bucket and left the nation an extra trillion dollars, but because of the creation of a net trillion dollars worth of goods, new companies, IP, etc. Nor is that new wealth generally created through sales - sales gets you a paycheck, but usually at the expense of a competitor. After you account for the zero-sum stuff, new wealth is created by intrepeneurs and inventors, and innovation within existing businesses.

So if you really mean to ask 'how do I obtain wealth,' the best answer is to be born rich. (I'm a little skeptical about ones overall chances in sales.) But if you mean 'how do I create new wealth,' you should invent something or start a business. And in my personal experience, the richest people (factoring in differences in initial wealth) have been those who have spent time doing the latter, whether as entrepenuers or simply working for startups.

Edited by finknottle

I think you are confusing obtained with created, and focusing unduly on the source of individual wealth.

It is certainly true that a great deal of wealth is inherited - the percentage of those whose assets qualify them as 'rich' are disporportionately inherited. But if you actually track it, you see that most inherited fortunes dissipate over time.

On the other hand, consider the wealth of the nation. It increases over time. Not because another founding father kicked the bucket and left the nation an extra trillion dollars, but because of the creation of a net trillion dollars worth of goods, new companies, IP, etc. Nor is that new wealth generally created through sales - sales gets you a paycheck, but usually at the expense of a competitor. After you account for the zero-sum stuff, new wealth is created by intrepeneurs and inventors, and innovation within existing businesses.

So if you really mean to ask 'how do I obtain wealth,' the best answer is to be born rich. (I'm a little skeptical about ones overall chances in sales.) But if you mean 'how do I create new wealth,' you should invent something or start a business. And in my personal experience, the richest people (factoring in differences in initial wealth) have been those who have spent time doing the latter, whether as entrepenuers or simply working for startups.

If you really want to make money the place is in the FIRE economy link