All of these countries now overthrowing their goverments

Raises a few questions in my mind

1) Are these countries now rising up against their governments because of Iraq and Afghanistan and their new freedoms?

or

2) Would have these uprisings would have happened anyways and we just blew a trillion dollars on these wars for nothing?

Makes me wonder.

.....or a third option. These uprisings are being pushed by Islamic Fundamentalists who believe their governments are too friendly with the West and tolerant of Isreal. I don't know what the answer is,but I sure hope it doesn't turn out to be option 3.

The most recent 60 minutes had a cool story on "The Spark" (the dude in Tunisia that lit himself on fire in front of the government building that corruptly took his fruit weighing scale and demanded a bride to give tit back). Not saying that's why it happened just saying it was a cool story.

I would say these uprisings would have happened anyway, independent of our action in Iraq and Afghanistan. No way to know though.

1) Are these countries now rising up against their governments because of Iraq and Afghanistan and their new freedoms?

or

2) Would have these uprisings would have happened anyways and we just blew a trillion dollars on these wars for nothing?

Makes me wonder.

.....or a third option. These uprisings are being pushed by Islamic Fundamentalists who believe their governments are too friendly with the West and tolerant of Isreal. I don't know what the answer is,but I sure hope it doesn't turn out to be option 3.

They're not being pushed by Islamic Fundamentalists, thats clear. It's people rising up against corrupt, oppressive governments. The "Fundamentalists" uprising is just unsupported BS pushed by Fox news to sell fear and justify US military action.

You know, the other day I was watching news stories on this and I realized these people who have NO concept of liberty have taken more action to secure it than any American would. Sad state of affairs.

Fully expected state of affairs. Particularly when you consider how many Americans believe that "rights" are things granted by the government.

They're not being pushed by Islamic Fundamentalists, thats clear. It's people rising up against corrupt, oppressive governments. The "Fundamentalists" uprising is just unsupported BS pushed by Fox news to sell fear and justify US military action.

Ah Joe. You might want to call that one back for a few weeks. The jury's still out on that.

Ah Joe. You might want to call that one back for a few weeks. The jury's still out on that.

No, they're really not. It's a popular uprising. Bahrain, Tunisa, Libya, and Egypt? Think about that...is there an "Islamic Fundamentalist" organization so organized that they can pull off that many popular uprisings in such a short period of time?

That does not mean, however, that there isn't fundamentalist groups that wouldn't be happy to take advantage of a power vacuum. Bahrain and Libya, in particular, I'd think are susceptible to this.

or

Makes me wonder.

#2. The uprisings are people revolting against corrupt government--not because they want freedom--although that could be the end result. Afghanistan, which isn't really a country, doesn't provide any model for them. Iraq may but there, the people were scared to death to ever do what they did in these other countries.

BTW, I like how #1 is being floated now. Obviously the Republican defenders are making a media push on this. It's a sham though because it's so easy to turn around. Don't you think that Iraqis would have seen what happened in Egypt and thrown out Saddam, saving us 4,000+ lives and a trillion or so dollars?

Edited by Peace

No, they're really not. It's a popular uprising. Bahrain, Tunisa, Libya, and Egypt? Think about that...is there an "Islamic Fundamentalist" organization so organized that they can pull off that many popular uprisings in such a short period of time?

That does not mean, however, that there isn't fundamentalist groups that wouldn't be happy to take advantage of a power vacuum. Bahrain and Libya, in particular, I'd think are susceptible to this.

True and honest democratic elections in that part of the world may end up installing governments that are much more hostile to the West. I'm not convinced the general population there is as tolerant of us and Isreal as most like to think.

The most recent 60 minutes had a cool story on "The Spark" (the dude in Tunisia that lit himself on fire in front of the government building that corruptly took his fruit weighing scale and demanded a bride to give tit back). Not saying that's why it happened just saying it was a cool story.

I would say these uprisings would have happened anyway, independent of our action in Iraq and Afghanistan. No way to know though.

Now that's an intrusive government!

and

3) Is New York or California next on the list?

Maybe not NYS or CALI @ first but WI is burning:

From the Chicago Tea Party...

Members of the Illinois Tea Party received a tip indicating the Democratic State Senators who fled the state of Wisconsin rather than doing their jobs were in a hotel in Illinois. After hearing the news, they promptly dropped their groceries and made the 15 minute drive to the town of Harvard, IL. (WI State Senator Chris Larson (D) pictured below)

Jane Carrell of the Northern Illinois Tea Party has the latest on the situation.

Northern Illinois Tea Party board member Doc got to the Heritage Suites in Harvard and found the fleeing senators in the lobby of the motel. He said that they were laughing like school children. News cameras were there.

Check out the Tea Party report at Chicago Tea Party.

Indiana seems to be "catching fire" too... :nana:

True and honest democratic elections in that part of the world may end up installing governments that are much more hostile to the West. I'm not convinced the general population there is as tolerant of us and Isreal as most like to think.

We will see!

Full steam ahead... Fast and hard matey!