Official Ryan Mallett Thread

WWVaBeach

The answer he gave 'four or five times' was perfectly reasonable. It seems to me that Mallett has every right to address that issue with the teams *first* if that's what he wants to do. Now, maybe he did the wrong thing in terms of NFL political correctness by cutting the interview short, but I'd guess that most of us would have done the same thing in a similar situation.

Of course, idiots in the media can't give the kid a break, so it really didn't matter what he said. They were going to make him out to be the bad guy, anyway.

^------ this.

I'm not a Mallett lover or hater. But I don't care who you are. If your being interegated by someone when it should be a simple interview you will get frustrated. He answered the question in a decent way and the reporters wouldn't let it go.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a theory on Mallett being so cocky and defensive; the drug rumors were all lies and he let his numbers speak for themselves overall for his entire college career. Wow, what a crazy concept, huh? :doh:

Everyone demands these young guys to be squeaky clean and be perfectly respectful and stand up to the same possibly un-true or at the very least un-fair inane questions from the 24 hour tweeting, blogging, texting media of today. Just because Mallett doesn't want to answer questions automatically means he's going to "Ryan Leaf" after he's drafed? Why? Leaf acted wonderful to the media first, and then broke down later when the pressure got to him. Mallett on the other hand has a defiant nature to him, and I think that could be a good thing when it comes to dealing with today's media insanity.

The only problem- when you ask a drug user about their use.... They tend to blow up, or throw fits if you don't drop it. One of the biggest symptoms of addiction is denial.

Unfortunately, the biggest symptom of being clean? Denying drug use!

Hard to read a lot into it.

The only problem- when you ask a drug user about their use.... They tend to blow up, or throw fits if you don't drop it. One of the biggest symptoms of addiction is denial.

Charlie Sheen?

I say give the guy a break, I am sure most of the players in the NFL have done something - weed, underage consumption, maybe more.

The agent should be out there front and center as the **** magnet. That's his job.

I have been weighing that...

Do we really want to have Mallet standing behind a suit/mouthpiece? I think most people want to hear him speak for themselves. Part of the biggest problem is, the ones that want to hear him speak are the ones that do not deserve to hear it. He only needs to be concerned with what the coaches say...

I do not think it would benefit him to have an incident like Terrell did with Drew Rosenhaus being his mouthpiece. He would get ripped up in the media having not done anything yet.

I have been weighing that...

Do we really want to have Mallet standing behind a suit/mouthpiece? I think most people want to hear him speak for themselves. Part of the biggest problem is, the ones that want to hear him speak are the ones that do not deserve to hear it. He only needs to be concerned with what the coaches say...

I do not think it would benefit him to have an incident like Terrell did with Drew Rosenhaus being his mouthpiece. He would get ripped up in the media having not done anything yet.

Is there really any doubt that he'll have to address it with NFL teams? It's an agent's job to manage his client's public reputation, otherwise what is he there for? Anybody can be a bystander with his hands in his pockets and watch as he gets dragged through the mud. Hey, it's not my millions of dollars going up in smoke.

Is there really any doubt that he'll have to address it with NFL teams? It's an agent's job to manage his client's public reputation, otherwise what is he there for? Anybody can be a bystander with his hands in his pockets and watch as he gets dragged through the mud. Hey, it's not my millions of dollars going up in smoke.

I really do not get it with this guy. I mean, is it his agent that is letting him look this bad or is it himself that is coming off horribly? The media is going to spin the story anyway. Mallet is going to be some times diamond in the rough or some teams 2nd day project QB.

It is not fair to expect Mallet to answer to some press dweeb who is only going to keep asking more and more questions in an effort to get him to snap. I don't see anything wrong with how he handled it. He said he would discuss it with the teams. He might as well start his brief career by knowing to not talk to the press.

Still, there is no drug in the world that will make him look faster than Frankenstein. No thanks.

speed will do that

I don't like Mallett and don't want him anywhere near a Bills uniform, but I would like to know the nature of his addiction before I red flag him for drugs. I red flag him as a QB, but stating he has a "drug problem" on PFT means little to me without having some context. Further a hair follicle test isn't something I would put much weight on. I mean at certain times (the time of life he's in right now) I might have had some pretty nasty stuff show up on a follicle test, especially given how long a time a follicle test dates back. But in no way was I addicted to those substances, not even close. More like an early 20 year old being stupid and trying to have a good time. No different then a large percentage of society I imagine. Do people know if they make everyone do a follicle test? In theory, depending on how long your hair is, pot could show up several years later. Usually they only test about three months back, based on hair length, and if you hadn't noticed he keeps it pretty short, maybe for that reason :rolleyes:

Still you can beat any of these tests as long as you know the tricks of the trade, rendering them even more pointless. Pass on Mallett because he's a slow reading mental midget, I don't really need any other reasons.

In some regards, I agree with you about red flagging Mallett simply as a QB…not necessarily for anything else…except of course NFL teams are making fairly hefty investments in some of these players and Mallett was considered to be a first rounder as recently as the last few days.

The rumors of his possible drug use, on top of him not being in very good shape at the Combine, and his performance in the media interview have probably caused his stock to fall.

As a highly-ranked QB, Mallett will be under a great deal of scrutiny as teams do their due diligence while looking to minimize risk.

BTW, the reports that PFT linked to about the drug rumors included one from Tony Softli who is the former Director of College Scouting for the Panthers and VP of Player Personnel for the Rams and was recently a candidate for the 49ers GM position which went to Trent Baalke.

Softli's a pretty credible source who, even though he now works in the media, would probably not wish to tarnish his own credibility as he's looking for another NFL job.

Finally the story of Mallett's alleged drug use was actually broken by Rob Rang of CBS sports.com.

This is the same thing that happened to Marino, causing him to fall all the way to the Dolphins. Of course, it would be unthinkable that someone such as Don Shula and Co. could put that rumor out there so teams like the Steelers passed on him. <_<

Wonder if there isnt a little bit of that in this Mallet stuff...

STOP RIGHT THERE !

Doc, every time I hear talking heads speak about, "how could Dan Marino drop in the draft, and what were the GMs of those other teams thinking?" the rest of the story gets conveniently omitted.

Marino was drafter #1 - Overall in 1983 by the Los Angeles Express of the upstart WFL.

They actually signed him and he made appearances on behalf of that team for them.

NONE of the NFL clubs wanted to compete for his services - except Miami who figured they had a chance to sign him because, well, it's Miami and there's more snow there on the beaches than there is in Buffalo in January, they needed a QB and had a very solid team built already.

Look at the teams that drafted QBs in '83 -

Denver - #1 overall to John Elway - no way they were picking Marino

KC - #7 Todd Blackledge - no way Marino was going there over LA

Buffalo - #14 Jim Kelly - no way Marino was going there over LA

Boston - #15 Tony Eason - no way Marino was going there over LA

Miami - #27 Coming of a SB loss to Washington.

The Express got their guy in 1984 - named Steve Young and they signed him for the ridiculous amount (at the time) of $40 million.

I do not agree with picking him in the 2nd round. There are a lot of red flags around this

guy and even discounting those, he doesn't look like a good fit for the Bills. He is big, but

immobile and supposedly doesn't make good decisions even when given a lot of time. How

bad might he be under the constant rush that he'd face with the Bills' weak OL?

I've watched him play many games and most of the knocks are very overblown. He is not nearly as immobile as the reports make it sound and not nearly as bad a decision maker as the reports make it sound.

The way draftnicks pick on this kid you would think he never accomplished anything in the SEC. He led his team to back to back winning records in probably the most difficult division of the most difficult college football conference including a 10 win season. What other Arkansas players are being talked about as 1st round picks? You got DJ Williams and DeMarcus Love that will be 2-3 rounders.

He elevated that team with his leadership and QuarterBacking.

He is an accomplished player

You don't get over 7,000 passing yards and 60 TDs with over 60% completion percentage in two seasons being as bad as people talk about him.

Watch him play, He is a leader with an elite arm. He will be a great QB on a team with a good O-Line.

Thats why if he is there at 34, and they don't go QB in the 1st its a no brainer. Petrino and Chan's system have more in common than they do different. Stash Mallet on the bench for the year, and lock down the RT in free agency and we would have Drew Bledsoe in his prime. Which is pretty f'in good QB to have.

Couldn't agree more. Wouldn't touch him with that pick. Besides, we'll have a QB already at that point.

Surprised to hear you say that. So you won't touch Locker because of accuracy issues which can be corrected, but you call a huge character risk (and very immobile) QB a no-brainer? Interesting.

I won't touch Locker not because of accuracy issues, I won't touch Locker because I don't understand where he has any strengths for the NFL. All he did was lose in college and get injured through a large part. Completely crumbles under pressure, was horribly inaccurate, doesn't have an NFL delivery, doesn't seem particularly bright.

Seriously why, other than McShay talking about him in the summer of 2009, would anyone want him on an NFL field? I just don't get it.

I've seen him play in many games. I seriously don't get it at all. What strengths does he have?

BTW accuracy can't really be improved that much with coaching. Its something you either got or you don't got.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Here's a brief clip of it. Not all of the repetitions of the same question are shown.

Seems like the media had nothing else to ask him about, so he left.

Can't say as I blame him. He could have been a bit cooler about it, like calling out the clowns in the room first and then walking out when they didn't have any other questions to ask him.

Can't believe the misconceptions surrounding this kid. He's a drug addict, except that he has been tested for drugs by the NCAA many times and the University of Arkansas has confirmed that he never tested positive for drugs. He's stupid, except he had a high grade point average and mastered Petrino's massive playbook. He's unathletic, well yes, but no more or less than any pocket passer, you know, Peyton, Troy Aikman - and BTW though not fast he throws well on the run: 5:0 TD to Int ratio in 2010. He has no leadership skills, except that he was twice voted captain by his teammates (a 100% player decision at Ark). Amazing what a hatchett job people with an agenda have laid on this kid. Truly pathetic.

Incidentally, he's one of the best pure pocket passers on the planet, right now. If he's there at #34 I think he's a Bill whether people like it or not.

So Buddy's behind the rumors calculating that by doing so, he can grab him at #34 after picking up a DE beast in the 1st?

!!!

Very true, we only have to watch Lindsey Lohan and Charlie Sheen make asses of themselves over and over to prove your point. But speaking of proving points, where is the proof that Mallett indeed does have a drug problem? And if he does, how on earth would the NFL scouts not know every single detail about it, considering they invest millions of dollars to find out every single thing about these guys before they invest 10's to 100's of million dollars into them?? :doh:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/27/ryan-mallett-gets-rave-reviews-for-combine-effort/

Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett bounced back from a rough Saturday afternoon by doing what he does best: Spinning the football.

Mallett received uniformly rave reviews for his throwing performance on Sunday. PFT talked to Tony Pauline of SI.com and TFYDraft.com, who called the performance the best quarterback effort at the Combine of the last ten years