Dave Duerson death was a suicide

bbb

Sad to read that he's in all-health, but I thought McMahon suffered from dementia long before he played for the Bears. I'm not entirely convinced it's football that's now causing his brain to shut down, as it seemed to be flickering between on and off while he was still an active player.

Sad to read that he's in all-health, but I thought McMahon suffered from dementia long before he played for the Bears. I'm not entirely convinced it's football that's now causing his brain to shut down, as it seemed to be flickering between on and off while he was still an active player.

Yes. He has issues that started before the fork in his eye.

He sent out texts telling family members to donate his brain to the study of NFL players brains. This sport is just brutal. Just on the '85 Bears, you have at least two dead already, a few who are totally crippled up, and McMahon suppoedly starting with dementia:

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6141129

This is actually part of a huge story which has been picking up a lot of steam lately.

Numerous NFL players have been diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, which is caused by an accumulation of toxic poisons which clog up the brain.

This condition is known to be caused by repeated injuries to the brain due to collisions. It's believed that the accumulation of many "less serious" blows to the head, like those suffered by O-linemen when they block, can cause the condition just as readily as the big highlight-reel hits. Boxers suffer from a comparable but slightly different condition.

Symptoms go way beyond dementia. Those afflicted frequently are found to have symptoms like aggressive behavior, severe depression and suicidal tendencies, and confusion, to go along with their memory loss.

After their deaths people like Hall of Famer MIke Webster, Terry Long, West Seneca's Justin Strzelcyk (all Steelers), Andre Waters, Chris Henry, and others have been positively diagnosed with this condition by autopsy.

"Iron Mike" Webster died at the age of 50. The Hall of Famer suffered from depression and confusion due to his condition. His marriage fell apart and he was homeless for a while, living in his car. He developed drug addictions and was forging prescriptions.

Terry Long committed suicide at the age of 46 by drinking anti-freeze after years of being depressed.

Andre Waters who was a star defensive back in the NFL, took his own life with a gunshot to the head. He was 44 years old although doctors examining his brain said he probably had the mental capacity and brain function of an 80 year old.

West Seneca's Justin Strzelcyk died at the age of 36, driving 90 miles per hour going the wrong way on the New York State Thruway. State Troopers had been chasing him for 40 miles. Before he died, he was suffering from depression, anger, and confusion. His marriage fell apart and he complained of hearing voices in his head. He was found not to be under the influence of anything when he crashed. His fiery demise was fueled only by his deteriorating mental condition.

Former Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry's autopsy showed that he suffered from the condition. Henry had years of off-the-field problems culminating in his death caused by falling out of the back of a pickup truck driven by his fiancee following a domestic dispute. Henry was an active player when he died.

NFL football players tend to have short lives and have a high risk of living with debilitating physical and mental conditions. The game is more violent than ever and takes a huge toll on the individual. This is on top of the fact that they risk death and serious injury each time they step on the field.

Those of you who like to accuse the NFL players of being spoiled and entitled (even though NFL players are the only North American pro athletes who DO NOT receive guaranteed contracts) ought to turn your focus to baseball and basketball players who make more money, have longer careers, and don't usually live with debilitating conditions…because NFL football players earn every penny they make.

This is actually part of a huge story which has been picking up a lot of steam lately.

Numerous NFL players have been diagnosed with Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, which is caused by an accumulation of toxic poisons which clog up the brain.

This condition is known to be caused by repeated injuries to the brain due to collisions. It's believed that the accumulation of many "less serious" blows to the head, like those suffered by O-linemen when they block, can cause the condition just as readily as the big highlight-reel hits. Boxers suffer from a comparable but slightly different condition.

Symptoms go way beyond dementia. Those afflicted frequently are found to have symptoms like aggressive behavior, severe depression and suicidal tendencies, and confusion, to go along with their memory loss.

After their deaths people like Hall of Famer MIke Webster, Terry Long, West Seneca's Justin Strzelcyk (all Steelers), Andre Waters, Chris Henry, and others have been positively diagnosed with this condition by autopsy.

"Iron Mike" Webster died at the age of 50. The Hall of Famer suffered from depression and confusion due to his condition. His marriage fell apart and he was homeless for a while, living in his car. He developed drug addictions and was forging prescriptions.

Terry Long committed suicide at the age of 46 by drinking anti-freeze after years of being depressed.

Andre Waters who was a star defensive back in the NFL, took his own life with a gunshot to the head. He was 44 years old although doctors examining his brain said he probably had the mental capacity and brain function of an 80 year old.

West Seneca's Justin Strzelcyk died at the age of 36, driving 90 miles per hour going the wrong way on the New York State Thruway. State Troopers had been chasing him for 40 miles. Before he died, he was suffering from depression, anger, and confusion. His marriage fell apart and he complained of hearing voices in his head. He was found not to be under the influence of anything when he crashed. His fiery demise was fueled only by his deteriorating mental condition.

Former Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry's autopsy showed that he suffered from the condition. Henry had years of off-the-field problems culminating in his death caused by falling out of the back of a pickup truck driven by his fiancee following a domestic dispute. Henry was an active player when he died.

NFL football players tend to have short lives and have a high risk of living with debilitating physical and mental conditions. The game is more violent than ever and takes a huge toll on the individual. This is on top of the fact that they risk death and serious injury each time they step on the field.

Those of you who like to accuse the NFL players of being spoiled and entitled (even though NFL players are the only North American pro athletes who DO NOT receive guaranteed contracts) ought to turn your focus to baseball and basketball players who make more money, have longer careers, and don't usually live with debilitating conditions…because NFL football players earn every penny they make.

The NFL is a creature of its fanbase, who ultimately finance it. So what does that make us when we file into the Ralph? The Roman blood mob in the colliseum?

Yes we are, figuratively.

And that point has been made here before many times…but maybe not often enough.

Don't understand "figuratively". A difference only in degree? Is football different than prizefighting?

Is the answer to make player safety the main priority? Provide a more generous safety net and support system for former players?

The NFL is a creature of its fanbase, who ultimately finance it. So what does that make us when we file into the Ralph? The Roman blood mob in the colliseum?

Yes we are, figuratively.

And that point has been made here before many times…but maybe not often enough.

Don't understand "figuratively". A difference only in degree? Is football different than prizefighting?

Is the answer to make player safety the main priority? Provide a more generous safety net and support system for former players?

I use" figuratively" in addressing your characterization of NFL fans as "The Roman blood mob" and NFL players as gladiators. Maybe I should have used the word "approximately."

We as fans occupy a similar place as the coliseum spectators, however today's NFL players make excellent salaries and are not gladiators in the same sense as the gladiators that were provided as entertainment for the masses. Most gladiators were slaves, social outcasts, or criminals that were at the mercy of society. Some were volunteers and some were mercenaries. I don't think that cross section describes today's NFL players.

In other words, I think there are sufficient differences that I would not say that NFL players are exactly equivalent to gladiators and that NFL fans are exactly equivalent to "blood mobs."

I use" figuratively" in addressing your characterization of NFL fans as "The Roman blood mob" and NFL players as gladiators. Maybe I should have used the word "approximately."

We as fans occupy a similar place as the coliseum spectators, however today's NFL players make excellent salaries and are not gladiators in the same sense as the gladiators that were provided as entertainment for the masses. Most gladiators were slaves, social outcasts, or criminals that were at the mercy of society. Some were volunteers and some were mercenaries. I don't think that cross section describes today's NFL players.

In other words, I think there are sufficient differences that I would not say that NFL players are exactly equivalent to gladiators and that NFL fans are exactly equivalent to "blood mobs."

Ok thanks. Sounds like a difference in degree, not so much in kind.

Ok thanks. Sounds like a difference in degree, not so much in kind.

+1 and should be plus a zillion.

Folks simply need to realize that though there are significant differences between the blood mob and us fans and between the the gladiators and NFL (and even college players) that there are not only significant similarities but on the basic moral questions the similarities are in essence the same.

The author Noel Coward (back in the day when a million bucks was real money) apparently in conversation to ask some dowdy socialite whether she would sleep with him for a million buck.

With some verbal wheedling and proper language she admitted she would.

He then asked her whether she would sleep with him for 20 dollars.

She haughtily said no and asked him who did he think she was.

He replied, "We have already established who you are and now we are just negotiating a price."

NFL players are paid zillions rather than just given their life, but the financial difference is merely negotiation over compensation and does not determine morality.

There seemed to be a large number of people complaining about the NFL enforcing the hits to the head rule. Like they have too see receivers having their head removed to enjoy an NFL game....

Last year was my son's first real season of football and as a starting QB he led his Middle School team to an undefeated championship season capped off with a starting All-Star selection. After all these studies have started to come out in the last year or so, when football season rolled around this summer/fall and the coaches came calling, I did not offer one single word of encouragement to the boy. When he turned down the guaranteed starting QB position and decided not to play ball, I was stunned to find myself not the least bit disappointed.

The more we see of this, the scarier this stuff becomes. Aside from wondering what kind of damage I've done to myself after playing so many seasons of football, I'm having a powerfully guilty conscience when I think about all the damage I've dished out over the years. I've loved every second of head-banging I've ever done, but if we'd have known all this stuff 20-25 years ago I wonder how willing I'd have been to run face first at top speed into bigger guys over and over and over again.

And you gotta wonder if the younger dudes are starting to think about it now or if they're still assured of their own invincibility.

Any young ballplayers around here? I'd sure like to hear what you guys are thinking nowadays when you chomp down on that mouthpiece.

There seemed to be a large number of people complaining about the NFL enforcing the hits to the head rule. Like they have too see receivers having their head removed to enjoy an NFL game....

That's not me, though.

I don't need highlight reel decapitations to enjoy football. Good hard hitting yes…but knockout blows? No.

Nor do I watch NASCAR for the wrecks or hockey games for the fights.

I do enjoy boxing but haven't any interest in MMA. I don't need to see someone kneed in the skull.

edit: Here's a litmus test. I don't criticize Moats for his hit on Favre…it was a clean hit. But I don't enjoy seeing QBs annihilated from the blind side. Some people do and that's fine for them.

+1 and should be plus a zillion.

Folks simply need to realize that though there are significant differences between the blood mob and us fans and between the the gladiators and NFL (and even college players) that there are not only significant similarities but on the basic moral questions the similarities are in essence the same.

The author Noel Coward (back in the day when a million bucks was real money) apparently in conversation to ask some dowdy socialite whether she would sleep with him for a million buck.

With some verbal wheedling and proper language she admitted she would.

He then asked her whether she would sleep with him for 20 dollars.

She haughtily said no and asked him who did he think she was.

He replied, "We have already established who you are and now we are just negotiating a price."

NFL players are paid zillions rather than just given their life, but the financial difference is merely negotiation over compensation and does not determine morality.

Brilliant anecdote. Thanks.

Last year was my son's first real season of football and as a starting QB he led his Middle School team to an undefeated championship season capped off with a starting All-Star selection. After all these studies have started to come out in the last year or so, when football season rolled around this summer/fall and the coaches came calling, I did not offer one single word of encouragement to the boy. When he turned down the guaranteed starting QB position and decided not to play ball, I was stunned to find myself not the least bit disappointed.

The more we see of this, the scarier this stuff becomes. Aside from wondering what kind of damage I've done to myself after playing so many seasons of football, I'm having a powerfully guilty conscience when I think about all the damage I've dished out over the years. I've loved every second of head-banging I've ever done, but if we'd have known all this stuff 20-25 years ago I wonder how willing I'd have been to run face first at top speed into bigger guys over and over and over again.

And you gotta wonder if the younger dudes are starting to think about it now or if they're still assured of their own invincibility.

Any young ballplayers around here? I'd sure like to hear what you guys are thinking nowadays when you chomp down on that mouthpiece.

Not to hijack the thread, Simon, because I too would like to hear from younger football players on the subject of violence in football.

IMO, the game HAS gotten more violent. Watching games from the 70's and comparing them to present day NFL confirms that to me, at least.

And the highlight reel violence seems to be on the rise...in my eyes anyways. Particularly on the rise has been the use of the helmet as a weapon.

I've met a lot of younger guys (I work construction) that think nothing of steroids and performance enhancing drugs in any sport. They like the extra long home runs. They like the huge hits in football and hockey.

To me, it seems like a societal trend. But that's just me. Maybe it's more an individual case by case deal.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

more or less. less. but if they go to an 18 game season because goodell says that's what fans want, then we're getting closer to the coliseum.

He sent out texts telling family members to donate his brain to the study of NFL players brains. This sport is just brutal. Just on the '85 Bears, you have at least two dead already, a few who are totally crippled up, and McMahon suppoedly starting with dementia:

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6141129

There are at least three players on the '85 Bears that are dead: Walter Payton, Todd Bell and Dave Duerson. Mike Richardson also had several run-ins with the law due to drugs, William Perry nearly died a few years ago, and Wilbur Marshall is in bad physical health as well. ESPN Chicago had a series of stories on the '85 Bears this year.

Anybody bring up OJ in the context of this topic? Not to excuse his behavior--but it could be that Simpson has impaired brain function due to too many head shots. This could be seen as a contributing factor to his behavior--both in the context of Nicole and Ron Goldman and the later botched armed robbery.

What do you think?