Nick Fairley's Bills radio blog interview

1billsfan

I didn't see this posted, so I thought I'd oblige…

http://www.nickmendola.com/nick-fairley-interview/

Doesn't sound like an immature jerk to me. With all of the over-dissecting of players before the draft, the Bills just might have a chance to select him if the Panthers or Broncos get "cold feet" on Fairley. If he's there they had better not get cute like they did with the insanely stupid Whitner over Ngata pick.

Yeah...classic Bills FO...let's take the guys who (sometimes) makes tackles 9 yards downfield rather than at the LOS...

:huh:

Yeah...classic Bills FO...let's take the guys who (sometimes) makes tackles 9 yards downfield rather than at the LOS...

nevermind thought you were talkin bout Fairley, didn't realize you meant whitner.... :thumbsup:

I just don't think Fairley would be that great of a fit for our defense.

If we continue to run the 3-4 I totally agree. He wouldn't fit in that defense. He's a prototypical penetrating, pass rushing, disrupting 4-3 DT.

That said, if he's there at 3 he'd be really tough to pass up. It's the whole "system to fit the player" v. "players to fit the system" debate. Personally, I think the players are more important

If we continue to run the 3-4 I totally agree. He wouldn't fit in that defense. He's a prototypical penetrating, pass rushing, disrupting 4-3 DT.

That said, if he's there at 3 he'd be really tough to pass up. It's the whole "system to fit the player" v. "players to fit the system" debate. Personally, I think the players are more important

The Steelers just go ahead take the player regardless of "system," that I can tell you.

Doesn't sound like an immature jerk to me. With all of the over-dissecting of players before the draft, the Bills just might have a chance to select him if the Panthers or Broncos get "cold feet" on Fairley. If he's there they had better not get cute like they did with the insanely stupid Whitner over Ngata pick.

If the Bills draft Fairly, it will tell us that they're scrapping the 34, despite their recent interviews on the matter. He is a 1-gap penetrating DT that will be drafted by a 43 team. He's also a boom/bust type of guy, from what I've read. And we know how our last Boom/Bust 1st round DL worked out (so far...cough...)

Nix recently stated that the hiring of Wanny in no way means we're reverting to a 43. He made the point that we are going to be a 34 team first - and I don't think you take Fairly within that design.

It's not happening.

EDITED: I see now that this discussion has already taken place. The Bills won't take Fairly. (And in my opinion, they shouldn't.)

Edited by nodnarb

If the Bills draft Fairly, it will tell us that they're scrapping the 34, despite their recent interviews on the matter. He is a 1-gap penetrating DT that will be drafted by a 43 team. He's also a boom/bust type of guy, from what I've read. And we know how our last Boom/Bust 1st round DL worked out (so far...cough...)

Nix recently stated that the hiring of Wanny in no way means we're reverting to a 43. He made the point that we are going to be a 34 team first - and I don't think you take Fairly within that design.

It's not happening.

EDITED: I see now that this discussion has already taken place. The Bills won't take Fairly. (And in my opinion, they shouldn't.)

6'5", 298 lbs, extremely athletic, nasty attitude...

...seems like the perfect fit for a 3-4 DE. Just take a look at his videos, he plays like a bigger, stronger version of Bruce Smith.

Fairley on whether he minds playing in the cold, FWIW: "Not at all, it was just a joke,” Fairley told me early Wednesday afternoon, promoting his Bills fans only Q&A on his Twitter at 7:30 p.m. EST Wednesday. “Actually I like playing in the cold. It’s kinda fun… When your body is used to playing in the heat and you’re in the cold, it’s kinda fun. We have cold gear… that’s what it’s for. I don’t care where I play,” he said. “I feel like I fit in in the 3-4 or the 4-3, at the nose, at the 3 or at the end spot."

Why not? He would make a great 3-4 end. Fairley has rare talent. Mark my words. Not taking him because he isn't there at 3 is understandable, not taking him because he doesn't "fit" our defense is foolhardy.

Even if Fairley is there, Nix should take Newton or Gabbert with the 3rd overall pick. But you are right about the "Modrak effect", I almost fell off my chair when the commissioner said "Donte Whitner" instead of Ngata in 2006. I'll never forget Levy saying after the pick he wanted to start rebuilding "the middle" of the Bills defense. I said at the time, that's funny, I always thought the strong safety lined up on one side or the other, not "in the middle."?? :doh:

I'm obviously biased since it was on my radio show and I already wanted Fairley to fall to No. 3, but I was really impressed by Nick in the interview (the DT, not me). We had a ton of phone trouble on his end, but he answered several questions twice and even asked about my son when his agent had told him I had to haul the baby in with me to record the interview. I know this doesn't make him any better of a football player, but it encouraged me to feel better about him (even if he was surely coached on how to "come off,"). He mentioned technique and making a dominant impact as soon as possible.

Anyone, thanks for posting the link. I had Colin McCarthy from Miami on as well and I'm in contact with a ton of other prospects' agents. Any ones in particular you want to hear from?

Here's Colin's: http://www.nickmendola.com/draft-interview-miami-ilb-colin-mccarthy/

Thanks for listening,

Nick

Yeah, all those tackles at the LOS and pressure on the QB would be very odd.

We drafted McCargo and Maybin because they "fit our scheme". Lets try drafting good football players instead and then worry about the scheme.

I'm obviously biased since it was on my radio show and I already wanted Fairley to fall to No. 3, but I was really impressed by Nick in the interview (the DT, not me). We had a ton of phone trouble on his end, but he answered several questions twice and even asked about my son when his agent had told him I had to haul the baby in with me to record the interview. I know this doesn't make him any better of a football player, but it encouraged me to feel better about him (even if he was surely coached on how to "come off,"). He mentioned technique and making a dominant impact as soon as possible.

Anyone, thanks for posting the link. I had Colin McCarthy from Miami on as well and I'm in contact with a ton of other prospects' agents. Any ones in particular you want to hear from?

Here's Colin's: http://www.nickmendola.com/draft-interview-miami-ilb-colin-mccarthy/

Thanks for listening,

Nick

Thanks Nick. I always enjoy what you put into the show. Unfortunately I'm not in town for long enough periods of time to get a feel for how everyone at WGR is feeling about some of these issues.

Anyway, thank you for what you put into the show. I'd love to get some interviews with some of the QB prospects. I understand Newton might be a tough one to get but some of these guys that are expected to go in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Kaepernick, Ponder, Locker, even Gabbert(I know he's more of the 1st rounder but it would be great). Maybe some of the 2nd round prospects at DT as well.

Thanks

Agree. IMO I think we will wind up with Dareus or Fairley at #3. Prefer Dareus but would be very happy with Fairley.

i am no officianado so what defense did Reggie White play in? i can recall seeing him lineup outside, buts thats about all. Nick F mentions his use of hands and Warren Sapp mentions he needs to learn hand tech. There is a good chance he will be a terror for someone else.

i am no officianado so what defense did Reggie White play in? i can recall seeing him lineup outside, buts thats about all. Nick F mentions his use of hands and Warren Sapp mentions he needs to learn hand tech. There is a good chance he will be a terror for someone else.

Reggie White played his entire NFL career in a 4-3 defense.

Reggie White played his entire NFL career in a 4-3 defense.

True. But it's worth mentioning he played every position along the DL at various times depending on the game situation. I know it's a risk to say this but I will anyway: Reggie White would have been just as effective in a 34 as well. He was just a unique athlete in every respect.

GO BILLS!!!