Ralph's got QB issues

I like Mallett, but he was disappointing this season. His limited athletic ability means he is going to need extra time in the pocket and he's going to have to become an elite decision maker. I thought his game didn't improve this year, he leveled off. I think he could become a big time QB, but an investment in him might mean a need for better overall personnel than would be needed to succeed with Newton and if he doesn't turn into a great decision maker he might not even exceed what Fitzpatrick might be able to do.

I also think that in planning to compete in this division, the Pats and Jets wouldn't be bothered in the least by having to defend a pocket-only QB. Their defenses thrive on knowing where the offense is going to be. A guy like Newton gives you that running threat of Vince Young, plus the ability to extend plays like Roethlisberger and also be an effective pocket passer.

Thanks for an interesting reply. :thumbsup:

Mallett has many detractors on this board, at least one of whom is someone who imo knows quite a bit about football. He is often likened to Bledsoe, as if 44,611 yards and 251 touchdowns are a bad thing. I guess it comes down to whether or not a young Bledsoe would be able to succeed in these times. Any thoughts on that?

As a fan, I hope that Mallett makes it in this league. I know that there are all different types of arm strength, but as I jog my memory I am unable to recall any qb throwing a low 50 yard post pattern with his feet completely planted. He throws 25 yard checkdowns from his wrist with lots of speed on the ball. Coach Saban commented that he makes about 4 throws per game that nobody else can make.

I will be very curious to see where he goes in this draft.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mallett has many detractors on this board, at least one of whom is someone who imo knows quite a bit about football. He is often likened to Bledsoe, as if 44,611 yards and 251 touchdowns are a bad thing. I guess it comes down to whether or not a young Bledsoe would be able to succeed in these times. Any thoughts on that?

As a fan, I hope that Mallett makes it in this league. I know that there are all different types of arm strength, but as I jog my memory I am unable to recall any qb throwing a low 50 yard post pattern with his feet completely planted. He throws 25 yard checkdowns from his wrist with lots of speed on the ball. Coach Saban commented that he makes about 4 throws per game that nobody else can make.

If he lands on a team that has a veteran O-Line that is playing well he will have a great start to his career. A la Sanchez in NYJ, Flacco in Bal, an Roethlisberger when he first got to Pitt ( the Pitt o-line isn't very good now)

Mallet needs an extra second or half to make a decision. That can get better over time when he gets used to the speed. I like Mallet in right situation he could become special. However IMO Buffalo is not the right situation.

Although I think our o-line is not as bad as some think. It's not good enough to protect Mallet, he'll get shell shocked and run out of town. Another QB with potential down the drain.

You know what my thoughts are on Mallett so there is no need to rehash them. His immobility is too much of a liability to play behind such a porous line in Buffalo. No matter how impressive his throwing skills are he is going to get battered if he comes to western NY. The one place where I think he can succeed and do it rather quickly is in Minnesota. They have a good OL, excellent running game and decent receivers. In his rookie year he would be their best qb. If you are looking for a good fit for this cement legged dynamic passer look to the gopher state.

You know what my thoughts are on Mallett so there is no need to rehash them. His immobility is too much of a liability to play behind such a porous line in Buffalo. No matter how impressive his throwing skills are he is going to get battered if he comes to western NY. The one place where I think he can succeed and do it rather quickly is in Minnesota. They have a good OL, excellent running game and decent receivers. In his rookie year he would be their best qb. If you are looking for a good fit for this cement legged dynamic passer look to the gopher state.

Thing is, is that Fitz is gonna be our starter this season, probably next season too, and who knows for how long after that - so you have to think about how 'porous' our O-line will be 3 years from now, if that's your main concern about Mallett.

I'm not saying we should draft him, but he'd be hard to pass over if he's still there in round 2.

Bill from the Big Apple,

Another potentially good fit for Mallett is Tennesse. As with the Vikings they have a good OL and dynamic runner. The Titans are another team in which he can come in as a rookie and start. The issue isn't about the talent in isolation it is more about the right fit with the particular talent.

The below link is a mock draft from Allen Wilson of the Buffalo News. I have always liked his fair minded analysis of the Bills and league. Although he has a very understated approach of criticizing the team he covers if you have followed his coverage for an extended period of time you can easily pick up his contempt for the way this organization is run and built. His mantra for years is that unless the OL is bulked up it doesn't matter what you do on offense because the line limitations will undermine whatever you want to accomplish.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article347543.ece

Thing is, is that Fitz is gonna be our starter this season, probably next season too, and who knows for how long after that - so you have to think about how 'porous' our O-line will be 3 years from now, if that's your main concern about Mallett.

I'm not saying we should draft him, but he'd be hard to pass over if he's still there in round 2.

I agree with you that Fitz is going to be the starter this year. Even if Newton is taken in the first round Fitz is going to be the starter. And that is how it should be. One advantage with a qb such as Newton is that he can be utilized a bit in his rookie year in a wildcat setting.

You make an excellent point about Mallett as a second round prospect. I wouldn't be against it on the condition that this frumpy organization makes a more serious effort to upgrade the OL. Make no mistake about it Mallett has certain exceptional passing skills (I have never denied that fact). The problem is unless the OL is upgraded his unique passing talents will be squandered.

I agree Bill from NYC, Mallet has one hell of an arm, Bledsoe is a great comparison

Edited by Fig Newton

Senator, wondering how you see it that Fitz is gonna probably be our starter next season?

His contract is up this year. If the Bills take a QB high in the draft, I don't see them paying Fitz the $$ he'd want to keep him, whilst letting Mr Draft Pick sit on the bench.

If Fitz plays as well as he did last year, or better, I think he'll get offers to start. I don't think he wants the role of "Venerable Fitzy-wan Mentor Bench". I think he wants the ball.

Senator, wondering how you see it that Fitz is gonna probably be our starter next season?

His contract is up this year. If the Bills take a QB high in the draft, I don't see them paying Fitz the $$ he'd want to keep him, whilst letting Mr Draft Pick sit on the bench.

If Fitz plays as well as he did last year, or better, I think he'll get offers to start. I don't think he wants the role of "Venerable Fitzy-wan Mentor Bench". I think he wants the ball.

Honestly- if I'm fitz, high paid back up isnt terrible. He will get a nice paycheck, be around the game he seems to love, and probably be able to talk without drooling on himself when he retires. He strikes me as the type to also know he has options outside football. I'm not saying that's his long term goal by any means but that it's not a terrible situation for his long term.

Honestly- if I'm fitz, high paid back up isnt terrible. He will get a nice paycheck, be around the game he seems to love, and probably be able to talk without drooling on himself when he retires. He strikes me as the type to also know he has options outside football. I'm not saying that's his long term goal by any means but that it's not a terrible situation for his long term.

Frank Reich, John Kitna, Brunell, Bulger, Batch, Tod Collins, Collins from Tenn all have had very long and lucrative careers as backups and bridge type of players. You don't have to be a star player to be enriched in a variety of ways by the game.