I really think our draft falls this way...

Alphadawg7

Cam Newton scares the hell out of me

- If we take him he could be the next Jamarcus Russell....and it isn't because they are black. Its because they both have a TON of potential.......but potential is this thing you call on someone when they are not actually doing it. And yes Newton posted huge numbers in college, in a one read offense, that is not a pro offense

now for the some what politically correct version.

Cam Newton doesn't necessarily scare the hell out of me, there is just not enough body of work to know if he will be a top tier quarterback at the next level. Let's say he could be the next Ryan Leaf, so now we don't even bring color into it. Who cares about color? Newton did great in as you say, a one read offense. This is the big time and you have to be ready for more than he has seen in his short college career.

People dont seem to understand.....the Stroud release will have no bearing on what they do in the draft. This was going to happen ANYWAY.......they could still release Stroud and then totally go QB because they have Stroud's replacement on the roster....Alex Carrington at this point is an UPGRADE over him......then you have Kyle Williams who they might think could slide out to DE to get Troupe onto the field

I am not saying they wont go defense in this draft....but it would not shock me to see that first pick put on a player they think could be the francise....then go defense in every other round......

In the meantime you have a pretty good scenario where Cam would not be required to start.....because we have a pretty good QB in front of him. He can sit this first year and learn.

By the way....if the right moves are made....using a 1st rounder in this way would not spell death to the team. It would mean they need to be active in free agency (if there is one)

Some counterpoints:

Kyle Williams at 3-4 DE? Williams is severely undersized in terms of height for an ideal 3-4 end. He is closer to prototype

size at NT than he is at 3-4 DE. I am not saying that he can't possibly play there, but I think his size works against him.

I don't know if anyone can name a successful 3-4 DE who is less than 6'2" as Kyle is.

Fitzpatrick is "pretty good": Well, OK he might be better than the weak players that the Bills have had at QB in the last 10

years, but he might have had his career best year last year and was just OK. The first 2 INT game that Fitz has next year, everyone would be clamoring for Newton and his "awesome running skills".

I don't see ANYTHING that Newton has done that demonstrates that he is an NFL QB. Yes, he has great physical skills

BUT, he won't make his name in the NFL by running (almost no QBs do) and he hasn't demonstrated NFL passing skills

beyond having a strong arm.

I am not totally against Newton or another QB at 3, but I am not very sold on any of the QBs in this draft, either.

Edited by OldTimer1960

I'm certain that the Panthers will end up picking Cam Newton #1 overall. Think about it this way, what exactly is upside of drafting Nick Fairley over Cam Newton when you have Jimmy Freaking Clausen as your starting QB?

After the combine and his pro day, the writing will be on the wall that they are "all in" with Newton. Did you hear Trent Dilfer's obscenely enthusiastic endorsement of Cam after his workout? That's only the beginning my friend.

The Panthers will get a very talented "franchise" type QB (who'll have the endorsement of the "experts") and they'll also get the added benefit of a huge boost in season ticket and jersey sales.

I think the Bills will get Nick Fairley after the Broncos pick Peterson at #2. That's a great first pick!

I can easily see this happening too as you laid it out and I would be quite happy with this scenario.

Cam Newton? Aren't you sick and tired of teams running up and down the field on us? IF we resign Poz and Whittner, that will be about 5 decent (not great) players on defense. It's all about the front 7.

I didnt say I wanted Cam at 3, just that I think this is the pick that is coming. I wont hate Newton at 3 because of his upside, but I would prefer a stud DL guy there instead and then grabbing a QB in the 2nd as I think some good ones will slide.

buddy know talent in the south. His roots are here. I believe he will get the most honest shake down on newton from the guys who coached him/coached against him.

If Buddy and then Chan think he is the guy i am sold.

I know he is going to have a lot to work on. And am totally fine with him sitting for a year. or even two ala McNair.

But the kid is not dumb. I know what style he played in, i watch SEC football every week. To me he has the intangibles that Russell never had.

Then DL and LB are perfect.

Go OL in the 4th and also a DB.

Who ever they draft they need to be producers.

I'm certain that the Panthers will end up picking Cam Newton #1 overall. Think about it this way, what exactly is upside of drafting Nick Fairley over Cam Newton when you have Jimmy Freaking Clausen as your starting QB?

After the combine and his pro day, the writing will be on the wall that they are "all in" with Newton. Did you hear Trent Dilfer's obscenely enthusiastic endorsement of Cam after his workout? That's only the beginning my friend.

The Panthers will get a very talented "franchise" type QB (who'll have the endorsement of the "experts") and they'll also get the added benefit of a huge boost in season ticket and jersey sales.

I think the Bills will get Nick Fairley after the Broncos pick Peterson at #2. That's a great first pick!

I can't imagine the Panthers not taking a QB with the first pick. Sure, there's a high risk factor, but a DT is not going to get you to the playoffs. The NFL is ALL about QB play now, and the Panthers don't have a QB. I also strongly suspect that the Bills will take a QB. They don't have a long term solution at the position, and they desperately need one. This is a team with a bad lifetime won/loss record, and I can't help but think that this is a function of the fact that they've never prioritized the QB position (and before you bring up Kelly, remember Tony Hunter).

People dont seem to understand.....the Stroud release will have no bearing on what they do in the draft. This was going to happen ANYWAY.......they could still release Stroud and then totally go QB because they have Stroud's replacement on the roster....Alex Carrington at this point is an UPGRADE over him......then you have Kyle Williams who they might think could slide out to DE to get Troupe onto the field

I am not saying they wont go defense in this draft....but it would not shock me to see that first pick put on a player they think could be the francise....then go defense in every other round......

In the meantime you have a pretty good scenario where Cam would not be required to start.....because we have a pretty good QB in front of him. He can sit this first year and learn.

By the way....if the right moves are made....using a 1st rounder in this way would not spell death to the team. It would mean they need to be active in free agency (if there is one)

Actually, I agree with you on what you say about Newton. All of your points are definitely valid (not that you need me to validate them). If he's there at #3 I too think there's a good chance Buffalo gambles on him. But, I also believe Newton will go to Carolina and absolutely do not want any other QB selected in the first round. I'm just not convinced it's worth the gamble when the defense is so bad and is lacking so many guys needed for a 3-4 defense. If they do pick Newton, I hope they get the biggest nastiest DT's, NT's, DE's, and LB's available in the next few rounds. I wouldn't be shocked or even upset if they do it. I'd be willing to trust the pick and hope it ultimately pays off, just like I'm doing with the Spiller pick. Whichever approach that is taken by them, just let it be successful.

If other teams in need of a QB pick Newton, Gabbert, and Mallett in the first round, they might not be particularly inclined to take a first round QB in 2012. Which means that you might not need the worst record in the NFL next year to get...lucky.

Trade down with Cleveland

1. Robert Quinn OLB

2.a Martez Wilson ILB

2b. Kyle Rudolph TE

3. Jarvis Jenkins DE

4a Jerrell Powe NT

4b Demarcus Love OT

I really liked this draft.....

If jarvis jenkins is not there, maybe drake nevis will be there or kelvin sheppar another ilb, i dont care, maybe is time to poz to go....

and in 5th round, dom diccico ss

6. mario butler CB

7. mario harvey ILB

I really want ayodele out of town, and andra davis will be good depth but no starter material, and if we have martez and kelvin sheppard, those 2 will be our startes in our 3-4 defense for years to come.....

What are your thoughts??????

This is not the draft I am necessairly pulling for, but it's how I really see it playing out the first 3 rounds. Trying to figure our rounds 4 through 7 is just about impossible and not worth the time to do so. But here is how I see the first 3 rounds shaking out:

1 - Newton - I dont love or hate this pick. I am not sold on him yet...there is no denying he has immense potential, be also has a considerable amount of risk too. However, sometimes you have to take a gamble to get where you want to go, and if I am going to gamble then this kids upside is something worth gambling on.

2 - Heyward - I can really see him still being there when we pick and most likely the top rated DL still on the board. Sure he can go in the first, but I think he will fall to us based on how I can see the first round playing out. I cant see anyway we could pass on him if he is there. If Heyward isnt there, then I still think we go to DL on board unless a LB/OT is there that we love.

3 - Top rated LB/OT left on the board - I think we grab the highest rated player on our board at one of these 2 positions. I think it will be a LB, maybe even Mathews if he slips out of the 2nd. Pretty difficult to say which one will be here because there are so many mocks out there having some LB's going in the 2nd and others saying they will go in the 4th...same with the OT's. So, I think we address these positions, but to say which player is pretty difficult.

I am not one to make predicitions for the draft, but I really have a feeling this is how its going to play out. I would still be excited with this draft, but the riskiness of Cam makes it hard to love it.

How would you feel about this draft?

Any one but Newton.