Bills franchise player ?

Franchise player? :w00t:

I don't want to lose him (Whaley)! There's a growing faction in the league that thinks he's exceptional. A young Polian??

As for a player, Kyle Williams. I'd caution against referencing our run defense in lambasting this choice. More than Pro Bowl worthy, he was rightfully considered for Defensive MVP.

We'll know a lot more about Levitre's league standing by this time next year, but all indicators of greatness seem to be there.

Does anyone think we have a franchise player, if so who?

Easy ... Kyle Williams.

Read out of town stories about the Bills; listen to the television commentators; or just wake up and realize that not everything related to the Buffalo Bills is trash (This morning I am wondering why so many Jest fans want to allege they are Bills' fans by showing up on this board.).

Obviously our LB corps up the middle could not do anything to finish off the work of Williams but I do not think there is a team in the league who would not want to have him on their DL. :worthy:

Funny you brought this up as I was thinking this morning when i heard of the other players who were franchised, who out of any Bill i would put a franchise tag on. I really couldn't come up with a clear cut winner. Of the choices here are my thoughts:

1. Kyle Williams -- probably the bills best player, but is he a top 5 D-Lineman in the league -- not sure. He's the closest to getting the tag.

2. Stevie Johnson -- Not a Top 5 wideout. He was very good for Buffalo, but might not even start on some teams (i.e. Jets, Packers, ...)

3. Fred Jackson -- Can't franchise a guy you did not even want to start for 1/2 of last year. Best we have, but not franchise worthy.

4. Paul Poz -- No real reason to address him. Made alot of tackles, but is not top tier.

5. Ryan Fitzpatrick -- Thur him in here for the heck of it -- really not an option to franchise. Some folks don't want him to even start.

Any other ideas?

Funny you brought this up as I was thinking this morning when i heard of the other players who were franchised, who out of any Bill i would put a franchise tag on. I really couldn't come up with a clear cut winner. Of the choices here are my thoughts:

1. Kyle Williams -- probably the bills best player, but is he a top 5 D-Lineman in the league -- not sure. He's the closest to getting the tag.

2. Stevie Johnson -- Not a Top 5 wideout. He was very good for Buffalo, but might not even start on some teams (i.e. Jets, Packers, ...)

3. Fred Jackson -- Can't franchise a guy you did not even want to start for 1/2 of last year. Best we have, but not franchise worthy.

4. Paul Poz -- No real reason to address him. Made alot of tackles, but is not top tier.

5. Ryan Fitzpatrick -- Thur him in here for the heck of it -- really not an option to franchise. Some folks don't want him to even start.

Any other ideas?

I think your list will shorten quite a bit when you look at the 2010 franchise player $$$...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/02/nfl-franchise-player-tender-amounts-for-2010-season/1

I think your list will shorten quite a bit when you look at the 2010 franchise player $$$...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/02/nfl-franchise-player-tender-amounts-for-2010-season/1

Kyle Williams should be making more than this:

DT: $7 million/$6.4 million (Tommie Harris, $8.6M)

Its good to know that we are paying Kelsay as much or more than the amount he would make if he were franchised. :doh::thumbdown:

LB: $9.7 million/$8.4 million

Didn't we offer Donte just under this:

S: $6.5 million/$6 million

Why the hell would he think he deserves more than the average of the Top5 safeties? WTF?

If the NFL doesn't separate OT from OG\C then no OG\C will ever get franchised (not that that would be a good idea, just sayin' . . )

OL: $10.7 million/$9.1 million

Edited by Why So Serious?

Any other ideas?

Are you serious? I can understand why some might want to say Kyle Williams. He did have a good season and seems to be a great kid. But a franchise player is someone who were he to leave, would cripple your team severely. Peyton Manning and Marcia Brady and excellent examples. Is Kyle Williams in this category? Of course not.

Your other 4 are far too ridiculous to bother commenting on.

Bottom line is the Bills have no one worthy of a franchise tag. We all were hoping Spiller would be tag worthy when he was drafted. And who knows, maybe someday he will be. But for now the Bills are a tag-less organization.

I could understand someone wanting to hang a tag on Spiller if they firmly believed he was going to turn into something special however.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Its good to know that we are paying Kelsay as much or more than the amount he would make if he were franchised. :doh::thumbdown:

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't 24/4 6? Doesn't that mean that his Salary really isn't close to franchise money? Thought so.

Are you serious? I can understand why some might want to say Kyle Williams. He did have a good season and seems to be a great kid. But a franchise player is someone who were he to leave, would cripple your team severely. Peyton Manning and Marcia Brady and excellent examples. Is Kyle Williams in this category? Of course not.

Your other 4 are far too ridiculous to bother commenting on.

Bottom line is the Bills have no one worthy of a franchise tag. We all were hoping Spiller would be tag worthy when he was drafted. And who knows, maybe someday he will be. But for now the Bills are a tag-less organization.

I could understand someone wanting to hang a tag on Spiller if they firmly believed he was going to turn into something special however.

The Ravens just used the franchise tag on Haloti Ngata. Is Kyle Williams of the same caliber as Ngata...nope. Does Williams deserved to be mentioned, along with Ngata, in the same conversations about the best DT's in the NFL...yes!! If there is a player worth using the franchise tag it is Williams. If he went on the open market, I'm pretty confident that he would garner top 5 DT money.

In order to be a franchise player, a player must be a FA in the upcoming year. A team can lock him up by naming him the "franchise player". The following will be FAs this year:

Brian Brohm

John McCargo

Paul Posluszny

Keith Ellison

Drayton Florence

Ashton Youboty

Donte Whitner

George Wilson

Bryan Scott

My pick would be Poz or maybe Drayton Florence.

Kyle Williams should be making more than this:

DT: $7 million/$6.4 million (Tommie Harris, $8.6M)

Didn't we offer Donte just under this:

S: $6.5 million/$6 million

Why the hell would he think he deserves more than the average of the Top5 safeties? WTF?

If the NFL doesn't separate OT from OG\C then no OG\C will ever get franchised (not that that would be a good idea, just sayin' . . )

OL: $10.7 million/$9.1 million

your not serious about what we are paying Kelsey right? you were joking right?

because if you are your are wrong and way way way off base on what he is being paid.