Carucci: Bills GM Nix likes Cam Newton "a great deal"

Marshmallow

Yep. And they thought Williams could be a 3-4NT. As good a player as KW is, he's not a fit in that defense and never will be. If they move back to a predominantly 4-3, they have no clue what they're doing. They can say all they want that it's a hybrid, but in this case it's because they don't have personnel for either scheme.

They don't but now they have much better players and potential for the 3-4 than 4-3, especially Moats and Merriman, Troupe, Carrington and Edwards. They're very likely going to be exactly what they said they would be, a hybrid, until they get the players for the 3-4. If, say, they sign a guy like Solari in FA, it will go a lot quicker. If they draft a DL at #3, what that player plays best will also be a factor. Chances are, you will see FA and draft picks better suited to the 3-4 though.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't but now they have much better players and potential for the 3-4 than 4-3, especially Moats and Merriman, Troupe, Carrington and Edwards. They're very likely going to be exactly what they said they would be, a hybrid, until they get the players for the 3-4. If, say, they sign a guy like Solari in FA, it will go a lot quicker. If they draft a DL at #3, what that player plays best will also be a factor. Chances are, you will see FA and draft picks better suited to the 3-4 though.

pretty much every team that has ever switched over has gone through the same struggles. its silly to say they are clueless, as i think they knew there would be growing pains until we got the right personnel. the only move that confuses me is the kelsay signing, but otherwise, i think it all makes sense. and for all i know, the kelsay deal has an easy out written into it this offseason or next.

pretty much every team that has ever switched over has gone through the same struggles. its silly to say they are clueless, as i think they knew there would be growing pains until we got the right personnel. the only move that confuses me is the kelsay signing, but otherwise, i think it all makes sense. and for all i know, the kelsay deal has an easy out written into it this offseason or next.

Exactly.

As I am unimpressed with any position player at #3 in the draft, I am not at all averse to the Bills taking

a QB.

Think about it; what is newton's upside?

Sure, he could be Jamarcus Russell, but he could - from what I've seen - be a much better Donavan McNabb, and I've seen people on this board wanting to spend first round picks on McNabb for the last ten years or so. Newton could be a McNabb, a Vick, a better Randall Cunningham, a Steve Young without the brains but better size, a guy that Belichick and fatso in NY just might have problems defending.

Sure, it would take him a few years, but in the meantime all the Fitz-lovers would be happy anyway.

People would still btch that we didn't pick some DT or LB instead. Why? Newton could be THE ANSWER

and to me that's worth a shot.

two words to describe Bills interest in Cam...

Smoke screen :)

i guess i dont get what for though?

so no one trades up to #2 to get dareus?

im pretty sure with the way the draft is sitting, they could publish there top 5 online and it wouldnt change anything unless they were serious about cam and then someone might go after the #2 pick. i dont think you trade the house to get ahead of us to get a corner or wr or dareus, and we arent in line for fairley.....

I bet you they love 5-10 guys by the time they get done watching film on them. That doesn't mean they're going to draft them. They probably love Fairley, Bowers, Peterson, Green and Dareus, too.

Plus maybe they are playing cards close to vest and putting out all of the We want xxxx so they can play folks off each other for moving down. Chan likes Fitz and realizes we need to fix the D and OL lets follow the lead of Rams fix the lines etc than we can draft that wonderful QB everyone wants.

Plus maybe they are playing cards close to vest and putting out all of the We want xxxx so they can play folks off each other for moving down. Chan likes Fitz and realizes we need to fix the D and OL lets follow the lead of Rams fix the lines etc than we can draft that wonderful QB everyone wants.

but if we like cam, people dont come to us with trades, they go to denver and carolina. if we liked him i dont think we trade back and give him to someone without quite a kings ransom and i think that any reasonable person sees through that game.

plus i dont think its near far enough in the game for those games to be serious.

like i said, im pretty sure they could take a picture of their draft board and post it on this website and short of cam being number one on it, it effects nothing. no one is trading up to 1 or 2 for anyone else that we could legit take at 3. even with cam there it would be tough to trade up like that because of cba issues, and just the fact that trades almost never happen up there.

Edited by NoSaint

two words to describe Bills interest in Cam...

Smoke screen :)

Definitely. My one big hope for the Bills in regard to the draft is that I hope like every thing that they not only lie to me but are incredibly successful in lying to me.

If a person is interested in this sport because they are interested in whether Mel Kiper is right or not then what they require from the Bills is truth.

However, if what they are interested in is the fate of the Buffalo Bills they should want the Bills to not only lie about their draft plans but lie incredibly well.

We saw an example of this when some blog vehicle like Pro Football Weakly was whining about Gailey emphasizing ST walk throughs at the Senior Bowl rather than taking the route used by Marvin Lewis with the North squad of hard hitting position position practices.

Not only is this view wrongheaded in terms of actually showing the players learn and pursue the area, ST play which will actually determine whether these players contribute to the teams which draft them (the reality is a huge chunk of even the first rounders will not even be starters for the team which drafted them after a full season of play. This view shows an lack of football knowledge as in fact most of the Senior Bowl players desperately appreciate getting to walk through NFL level ST drills before they actually get drafted and have to prove themselves in pre-season.

Even better, it is great for the Seniors to avoid injury just before the draft which might cost them millions if a Senior Bowl practice or game injury slows them down at the Combine.

I am more than happy if in order to fool our competitors the Bills also fool their fans as to their draft plans.

From Rotoworld:

Bills GM Buddy Nix likes Auburn QB Cam Newton "a great deal," according to NFL.com's Vic Carucci.

"The Bills might very well be inclined to take him in the No. 3 slot," adds Carucci. "I think QB will be prominently on the Bills' radar." Coach Chan Gailey has publicly supported Ryan Fitzpatrick as the 2011 starter, but he's more of a bridge to the future than a legit solution. ESPN's Trent Dilfer predicted Thursday that Newton wouldn't last past the third pick in the draft.

Original NFL Source

If Newton can show he's a reasonably bright guy at the combine interviews he's going to be picked very high because he has everything else, if he comes off as kinda dumb then he might last into the 20s.

My issue with Buffalo the past 5 seasons has been a reliance on unproven players. It seems like every year they need 2-3 guys on either side of the ball to play well and it just doesn't happen. Astute observers know a player's improvement is greatest between years 1 and 2, if it happens at all. So, depending on 2nd year players to form the basis of your defense is all they have because they rebuild every 3-4 seasons. It's not a model for success.

KFBD, you and I both know this team will sign 2-3 low to mid tier UFA's, then proclaim it a busy off-season. Soliai either never leaves Miami or gets snapped up by a team needing a 3-4NT like HOU or KC. Buffalo doesn't get in bidding wars, so they'll be hyping Troup and Carrington ad nauseam. I'd be happy if one of them is a reliable starter in a 3-4. That is, if they go with the 3-4 like ole Buddy says unequivocally. Besides, Buddy doesn't have the budget to be awake when UFA begins.

I feel like Gailey will be able to use Newton in the offense this year alot, even with Fitz obviously getting most of the snaps. We'll be able to throw a ton of different looks at defenses each week, especially with newton and spiller in the back field. We would have to the two most dangerous scoring threats from college in the past two years.

If Carucci says it, you can pretty much bet the farm it ain't happening.

Vic is great at reporting the news out of One Bills Drive after events occur (i.e. the T.O. signing or Jauron's firing), but every time he mentions who he expects Buffalo to draft, he's completely wrong (i.e. we're trading up for A.J. Hawk or Michael Huff in 2006, the team loves CB Leon Hall in 2007, etc.).

Yeah, but looking at those drafts, we got players who played those same posistions...Huff went and we took Whitner as a surprise...we loved Hall but took McKelvin...so quite maybe our interest was in the player and the position and he was right about that, but the draft just didnt work out to get the specific player as they went before our pick but still took the next best prospect at that position on our board. At number 3, Cam most likely will be there, so if our interest (which statements from our coach and FO indicated so) are in a QB of the future, there is quite the possiblity Cam will be a Bill next year.

I already said I expect us to take Cam as well, not that I think we should (I wont be mad if we do, but I am also not sold on the pick yet), but I feel like he is going to be the pick and have for a while. Him of Gabbert if Gabbert really impresses at the combine. Personally I am in more favor of going D in the first and a QB in the 2nd.

Yeah, but looking at those drafts, we got players who played those same posistions...Huff went and we took Whitner as a surprise...we loved Hall but took McKelvin...so quite maybe our interest was in the player and the position and he was right about that, but the draft just didnt work out to get the specific player as they went before our pick but still took the next best prospect at that position on our board. At number 3, Cam most likely will be there, so if our interest (which statements from our coach and FO indicated so) are in a QB of the future, there is quite the possiblity Cam will be a Bill next year.

I already said I expect us to take Cam as well, not that I think we should (I wont be mad if we do, but I am also not sold on the pick yet), but I feel like he is going to be the pick and have for a while. Him of Gabbert if Gabbert really impresses at the combine. Personally I am in more favor of going D in the first and a QB in the 2nd.

The Bills picked Marshawn Lynch in 2007; Leon Hall was drafted 6 picks later by the Bengals.

That factoid aside, I don't believe they'll pick Newton. Buddy seems like he's going to draft the guy that he thinks will be the best football player, and my (only semi-educated) guess is that it won't be a QB at 3.