Current mocks...Pete Prisco & Chad Reuter say Gabbert

Beerball

Honestly, I don't know who the heck to pick as a QB but if they think he can be the guy, pull the trigger and end the search once and for all. The Bills are not going to make the playoffs this year so if they REALLY like Gabbert or Newton, go for it....They will have free agency and the rest of the draft (for this year and next)to build up the D and oline. This may be the only chance to pick this high and have your choice of any guy out there....

The only experts I believe when it comes to the MOCK DRAFTs are the announcers on ESPN who tell me what picks the Bills have made and then we can all decide whether or not to mock them.

These paid fools who sit in their dark rooms spinning a wheel to guess at what team will pick what player are amongst the luckiest guys in the world because they get paid for passing on something that has no basis as fact. The real fools are those who sit on the edge of their seats and believe any of the guesses.

Any of us who follow the game can come up with a possibility list for each of the first ... 15 picks or so. After that it is truly a guessing game.

So, I will again defer from paying attention to the experts, will not pay for their publications, and more than likely will not even visit their websites for clarification. I have better things to do with my time and money.

:pirate:

I have said all along if they believe that there is a franchise qb worth taking with the number 3 pick they should pull the trigger. I am not sure if there is or is not but I sure hope they do not force the issue. Too much talent at the top end of the draft to force your pick with a QB you fully do not believe in. I like Gabbert & I like Newton. One things that does concern me about Gabbert is he really did not put up eye popping numbers this year.

Edited by Gordio

I have said all along if they believe that there is a franchise qb worth taking with the number 3 pick they should pull the trigger. I am not sure if there is or is not but I sure hope they do not force the issue. Too much talent at the top end of the draft to force your pick with a QB you fully do not believe in. I like Gabbert & I like Newton. One things that does concern me about Gabbert is he really did not put up eye popping numbers this year.

I don't know if it's the Kool-Aid or what, but that's where I am too. Kelly the dog posted a similar (but much better worded thought than mine) thought in a Newton thread. If THE GUY they think can be THE FRANCHISE is sitting there @3 then they better grab him. If it's Newton he can be worked into the offense almost immediately by having a few plays per game designed for him. His role can expand as his knowledge does. If it's Gabbert then he probably sits most of the first season barring injury to Fitz.

But, if they go this route...every other pick and FA acquisition becomes monumentally more important.

Guys that put these types of mocks out there show just how little they know yet are paid to report on this sport. I am genuinely surprised at Prisco because normally I rank him amongst those who is not this sort of terrible hack.

There is absolutely NO WAY Nix will pick Gabbert. If in the vastly unlikely scenario the Bills pick a QB at #3 (god, with this batch I hope not), it will certainly be Cam Newton.

Gabbert could not be a worse fit for the Bills.

Guys that put these types of mocks out there show just how little they know yet are paid to report on this sport. I am genuinely surprised at Prisco because normally I rank him amongst those who is not this sort of terrible hack.

There is absolutely NO WAY Nix will pick Gabbert. If in the vastly unlikely scenario the Bills pick a QB at #3 (god, with this batch I hope not), it will certainly be Cam Newton.

Gabbert could not be a worse fit for the Bills.

How so? Because Missouri ran a lot of spread formations like we do? Or is it because 6'5" 230 isn't big enough? Or is it just because you don't know jack sht about him? Which is it?

I'm not saying he IS the answer, but I wouldn't say he's the worst fit either.

Edited by DreReed83

How so? Because Missouri ran a lot of spread formations like we do? Or is it because 6'5" 230 isn't big enough? Or is it just because you don't know jack sht about him? Which is it?

I'm not saying he IS the answer, but I wouldn't say he's the worst fit either.

Because Gailey (prefers mobile, athletic QBs given his choice) is our coach and Nix (heavy scouting of southern players and aversion to QBs who don't win in college) is our GM. If they were thinking of picking a QB, why in the world would they pick a Blaine Gabbert over a Cam Newton? Gabbert has nothing on Newton, not arm strength, not athleticism, not size, not his record in college, nothing except POSSIBLY the ability to contribute earlier and need to learn less (though, I kind of doubt this, since they are both coming from spread offenses) and that's really not a consideration with Fitzpatrick in the fold and the fact that any QB drafted would sit this year.

So, what in the world would make anyone think the Bills would draft Gabbert over Newton? Only someone with utterly no knowledge of the team and the people making the decisions, I would think.

Personally, again, I don't advocate a QB at #3 at all with this year's crop, but to me there's just no way it's Gabbert.

Because Gailey (prefers mobile, athletic QBs given his choice) is our coach and Nix (heavy scouting of southern players and aversion to QBs who don't win in college) is our GM. If they were thinking of picking a QB, why in the world would they pick a Blaine Gabbert over a Cam Newton? Gabbert has nothing on Newton, not arm strength, not athleticism, not size, not his record in college, nothing except POSSIBLY the ability to contribute earlier and need to learn less (though, I kind of doubt this, since they are both coming from spread offenses) and that's really not a consideration with Fitzpatrick in the fold and the fact that any QB drafted would sit this year.

So, what in the world would make anyone think the Bills would draft Gabbert over Newton? Only someone with utterly no knowledge of the team and the people making the decisions, I would think.

Personally, again, I don't advocate a QB at #3 at all with this year's crop, but to me there's just no way it's Gabbert.

I think that looking to the past is not conclusive in terms of what Gailey will do but it certainly is a good indicator of what he MIGHT do. I think that the typical claims of certainty of a stone cold lock in terms of what he WILL do or SHOULD do say a lot more about the stupidity of the poster making this dead certain claim than they do about reality.

The indicator which I think folks should pay attention to is this>

What are the past examples from Gailey which see him picking a rookie and entrusting him to be developed into the QB he wants?

The sound of crickets that you hear is one because as far as I know there is no (meaning zero, nada, none, or whatever of Gailey entrusting his O to a rookie or developing a rookie into a winning QB.

The Gailey MO has been to take a QB who has a bit of experience looking at NFL Ds, diagnosing them, and making quick decisions on how to exploit them using a Gailey designed O.

He has pulled of this neat trick with QBs who actually were deemed total busts in their previous gigs such Fiedler, Bulger, and Kordell Stewart (and arguably is on this track with Fitzy for the Bills.

If anyone wants to make the claim that Gabbert is the franchise QB we want (if we choose to once again try to force someone into the next Jim Kelly role which has brought us an 0-for a decade plus in failing to even make the playoffs) then the two things you need to do are:

1. Make the case that Gabbert is in fact a franchise QB, and,

2. Show any example of Gailey actually successfully developing a rookie QB

I think all the indicators point toward Gailey going toward trying to improve a Firtzy rather than draft and develop a franchise QB.

I think that looking to the past is not conclusive in terms of what Gailey will do but it certainly is a good indicator of what he MIGHT do. I think that the typical claims of certainty of a stone cold lock in terms of what he WILL do or SHOULD do say a lot more about the stupidity of the poster making this dead certain claim than they do about reality.

The indicator which I think folks should pay attention to is this>

What are the past examples from Gailey which see him picking a rookie and entrusting him to be developed into the QB he wants?

The sound of crickets that you hear is one because as far as I know there is no (meaning zero, nada, none, or whatever of Gailey entrusting his O to a rookie or developing a rookie into a winning QB.

The Gailey MO has been to take a QB who has a bit of experience looking at NFL Ds, diagnosing them, and making quick decisions on how to exploit them using a Gailey designed O.

He has pulled of this neat trick with QBs who actually were deemed total busts in their previous gigs such Fiedler, Bulger, and Kordell Stewart (and arguably is on this track with Fitzy for the Bills.

If anyone wants to make the claim that Gabbert is the franchise QB we want (if we choose to once again try to force someone into the next Jim Kelly role which has brought us an 0-for a decade plus in failing to even make the playoffs) then the two things you need to do are:

1. Make the case that Gabbert is in fact a franchise QB, and,

2. Show any example of Gailey actually successfully developing a rookie QB

I think all the indicators point toward Gailey going toward trying to improve a Firtzy rather than draft and develop a franchise QB.

Nice post. I agree with you, basically.

However, I do take issue with posters like you (and there are a LOT of them on this board), who spew vitriol like "I think that the typical claims of certainty of a stone cold lock in terms of what he WILL do or SHOULD do say a lot more about the stupidity of the poster making this dead certain claim than they do about reality." when they encounter other posters who express their opinions in a different way than you do.

Consider...you and I said essentially the same thing but in two different ways, but your reaction is to invoke a personal insult ("stupidity") rather than just trust your own ability to convey your opinion in your way and allow others to convey their opinion in their way.

Frankly, I'm continually disappointed when I read junk like that on this board.

However, I like your take on the Gabbert debate, otherwise. ;)

While Newton is not MY pick at 3.....I would rather have him then Gabbert...I have heard NOTHING about Blaine before the season ended.....

The more the time goes on the more I think the bills will either try to trade down....maybe even twice.....so they can justify taking a player like Cam Newton......

And then have a plethora of draft picks to select from should that first round pick not be the savior that everyone hopes....

These are the things I know

- We have a solid veteran QB right now....

- We cannot stop the run or set the edge to save our lives

- We used two high picks on the D line last year

- We used two high picks on the O line the year before that

- We have been pretty good at finding talent late in the draft

What does that all equate out to me? I think we are looking for a trading parter in a draft with a lot of good defensive players.....we needs at SO many positions

OR

The bills might feel that they will not be at 3 in again in a while......scout the heck out of these QB's.....and draft Cam Newton. Who frankly scares the heck out of me watching a similar QB flunk out with the Raiders.