SILB or WILB?

Astrobot

As I looked over the the DraftTek results (RD#1-Quinn OLB, then RD#2-Rudolph TE), I noticed that in RD#3, we reached a little to take Kelvin Sheppard, LSU's Strong Inside LB, and passed on Michigan State's Greg Jones, their WILB, who was supposed to have been taken in late RD#2.

Part of my question to you is, where you see Poz continuing to flourish, and where you see the greater need.

I understand that Danny Batten had been learning the ILB position in team meetings despite his injury, and that we have a ward-ful of LB's next year.

I also believe that no fewer than 5 ILB's will be drafted in RD#3, and I believe ILB is very high on Nix's Wish List. I just don't know if he's looking at SILB or WILB.

Any idea?

As I looked over the the DraftTek results (RD#1-Quinn OLB, then RD#2-Rudolph TE), I noticed that in RD#3, we reached a little to take Kelvin Sheppard, LSU's Strong Inside LB, and passed on Michigan State's Greg Jones, their WILB, who was supposed to have been taken in late RD#2.

Part of my question to you is, where you see Poz continuing to flourish, and where you see the greater need.

I understand that Danny Batten had been learning the ILB position in team meetings despite his injury, and that we have a ward-ful of LB's next year.

I also believe that no fewer than 5 ILB's will be drafted in RD#3, and I believe ILB is very high on Nix's Wish List. I just don't know if he's looking at SILB or WILB.

Any idea?

I don't think Poz is great at coverage and I think we really need a wilb (at least as I understand the position) to have that skill. I would say in round 2 if there is an ilb that can cover, even if he is not the most physical that fill a need. I'm beginning to wonder if Poz is not in our plans, maybe Edwards/Chan consider him a 4-3 middle backer and not a fit for the 3-4. Considering they had Moats at ilb before needing him outside where he did well, and now they're moving Batten inside it seems like they really don't like the vets on the roster.

I still think we need a thumper in there, but I'm guessing coverage skills are more difficult to find so we can get that ilb a little later.

Coverage weakness under was mentioned more than once. We will keep Poz for sure, but nothing will surprise me at ILB. I am of the rib breaking/facewrecking blocksheding/runstuffer at either inside backer for us right now but They, are wiser than I am i trust.

where you see Poz continuing to flourish

This one has me dumbfounded. The only plausible answer to this that I can offer up is... [b]"not starting on any NFL team".[/b]

I don't express that to be mean, but, because Poz sucks. The only reason he started for the Bills is because they had no one that was any better... that was healthy enough to play.

I don't think Poz is great at coverage and I think we really need a wilb (at least as I understand the position) to have that skill. I would say in round 2 if there is an ilb that can cover, even if he is not the most physical that fill a need. I'm beginning to wonder if Poz is not in our plans, maybe Edwards/Chan consider him a 4-3 middle backer and not a fit for the 3-4. Considering they had Moats at ilb before needing him outside where he did well, and now they're moving Batten inside it seems like they really don't like the vets on the roster.

I still think we need a thumper in there, but I'm guessing coverage skills are more difficult to find so we can get that ilb a little later.

Would you consider Ray Lewis, AJ Hawk or James Farrior great in coverage? Pos needs to be covered up and playing the Will (or Mac, the WILB), since he tends to play with his pads too high. What you really want is someone that has great instincts and great range. I don't think that guy is Pos, and given Buddy Nix comments about the ILB position, he might not either. (The Bills apparently use the terminology of Sam, Mike, Will, Jack.)

If the answer is SILB, or "none of the above", I humbly offer the possibility that the Bills will be going after Martez Wilson. Thought of as the best SILB in the draft, Wilson would be a mid-to-late-1st pick. Trading for a first rounder could involve a player on the roster.

We have seen that Poz is a)injury-prone b) can't cover c) has very little range and d) isn't really a big smacker. Fact is, he is just a below-average inside linebacker no matter where you put him. Since his contract is up, I would have no priblem with either letting go or signing him for backup money.

In the meantime, we need to draft some linebackers who can play inside beside either Coleman or Batten, somebody who is big and has range... a Patrick Willis, like the real one we were one pick away from getting when Marv was "GM". Who is that guy... I don't know if there is a great one coming out this year.

We have seen that Poz is a)injury-prone b) can't cover c) has very little range and d) isn't really a big smacker. Fact is, he is just a below-average inside linebacker no matter where you put him. Since his contract is up, I would have no priblem with either letting go or signing him for backup money.

Sad but true I fear. We all love Poz. I even have his "authentic" jersey - throwback, of course. But when you try to picture him as a difference maker on the field, it doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

I think Kelvin Sheppard or Martez Wilson for SILB.

Read there's possibility of Sheppard being gone by the 3rd rnd.

By the way- Sheppard was calling the D's plays in Sr Bowl for Gailey.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Martez Wilson in Round 2 and Quan Sturdivant in Round 3 to solidify the ILB position for a while.

I think Kelvin Sheppard or Martez Wilson for SILB.

Read there's possibility of Sheppard being gone by the 3rd rnd.

By the way- Sheppard was calling the D's plays in Sr Bowl for Gailey.

I think points like these, some connection to Nix and Gailey, lead to the players that are the most likely to play for us next season.

Both Nix and moreso Gailey maybe seem to be touchy feely scouts. I mean that in a good way of course haha.

And they sure like the team leaders too.

It will be interesting to see how the combine affects the draft ratings/fankings as compared to currently.

We should definitely keep track of how many players we pick up from this Senior bowl i think.

Who else is coming in at our 3rd - 4th round pick at ILB that catches your eyes?

Not a bad choice if are going to stock up on them early.

I think points like these, some connection to Nix and Gailey, lead to the players that are the most likely to play for us next season.

Both Nix and moreso Gailey maybe seem to be touchy feely scouts. I mean that in a good way of course haha.

And they sure like the team leaders too.

It will be interesting to see how the combine affects the draft ratings/fankings as compared to currently.

We should definitely keep track of how many players we pick up from this Senior bowl i think.

Who else is coming in at our 3rd - 4th round pick at ILB that catches your eyes?

Not a bad choice if are going to stock up on them early.

That would also point to Ponder. Gailey even recruited him out of HS (unsuccessfully).