Forget about drafting BPA

BIllsNation

i need to stress the fact that our defense was terrible last year. drafting a gamechanger like AJ green would not help us stop the run. neither would drafting a cornerback like patrick peterson. it may be a bit of a reach to draft a guy like Dareus with the third pick, but its what we need. throughout the draft i hope to see the bills draft front seven like dareus, martez wilson, casey matthews then in the mid rounds draft someone like rashad carmichael from vt or deandre mcdaniel to replace whitner. if the bills targeted primarilly defense and had a good turn out with the players we will make a huge improvement and our offense will come! GO BILLS!

i need to stress the fact that our defense was terrible last year. drafting a gamechanger like AJ green would not help us stop the run. neither would drafting a cornerback like patrick peterson. it may be a bit of a reach to draft a guy like Dareus with the third pick, but its what we need. throughout the draft i hope to see the bills draft front seven like dareus, martez wilson, casey matthews then in the mid rounds draft someone like rashad carmichael from vt or deandre mcdaniel to replace whitner. if the bills targeted primarilly defense and had a good turn out with the players we will make a huge improvement and our offense will come! GO BILLS!

I agree with the bolded 100%. But, the need for improvement at the OT and TE positions is also absolutely crucial. I am about the Bills offering Kevin Boss a huge contract with lots of guaranteed money. And, if the Bills were able to trade down AND get a quality OT, the team would instantly improve.

But, if they view someone like Mallett to be a franchise QB, I think they should grab him and not look back.

Jmo.

I agree with the bolded 100%. But, the need for improvement at the OT and TE positions is also absolutely crucial. I am about the Bills offering Kevin Boss a huge contract with lots of guaranteed money. And, if the Bills were able to trade down AND get a quality OT, the team would instantly improve.

But, if they view someone like Mallett to be a franchise QB, I think they should grab him and not look back.

Jmo.

those are all good points honestly we just need to build from the ground up drafting a TE and OT would definitly help us signifigantly. from the ground up usually means get a QB but this isnt the year to get a franchise QB

Really?

no need to stress it. 8 200 yard rushing games is disgustingly bad

And giving up 30+ points 9 times. Teams are going to keep running the ball down their throat until they start showing they can stop it. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing a NE team with Brady beating you by running Ben-Jarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead at you. And in the 34, that starts with a NT who can occupy blockers at the 0 technique. For as good as Kyle Williams is, he's neither a 34DE nor a 34NT. It would help if the DL could tie up blockers so their ILB's can make plays.

I agree with building this team from the lines outward. I think we did a great job last year of adding O-linemen who are young, talented, mean, and capable of starting when needed. We fortified our interior O-line. Now, all we need, barring terrible injury, is a solid RT - which, I believe, we should target in F.A. - because there are a few very good options out there. TE can also be addressed in F.A. That, more or less, solidifies our offense for the season, with the exception of adding a QB - and, I think we do that in the draft.

So, going into the draft we are able to concentrate on QB and D. I see the QB field as being very level - with 6 or 7 QB's having the potential to be franchise types; only, the guys like Ponder, Locker, Kaepernick might end up being the NFL stars, and the Newton, Gabbert, Mallet might end up being the busts - I don't know, I hope our F.O. can see through it all. Anyway, I think, due to that amount of near equal talent, we can wait on QB to our 3 or (2)4 picks. Therefore, I'd say, go D front seven in the first 2 rounds, add QB in the 3-4 along with best linebackers and TE - if he's good enough to start for us.

I think using the draft and F.A. would enable us, cards falling in our favor, to put together a very balanced team that will be a core, from which we here out fine tune to get to, and stay in, the playoff picture. Our team is young enough now that if we can get it together quickly, we can stay good for a stretch - and if Nix is capable, and after him Whaley, to follow the San Diego/Pittsburgh model, we can soon start to keep the team perpetually good, instead of perpetually bad. The funny thing is, if done right, it'll take less energy to stay good than it has to blow up the organization every 3-4 years for the past two decades.

So lets not take the best player, lets take a guy we need regardless of who is available. sounds like success to me!!!

nevermind that the best GMs like Bill Polian are on record as saying they take the BPA. We should forego winning formulas and draft defense defense defense, trade down for more picks to take even more defense!

I am on board with Boss even at the price he will demand. He will have an immediate impact and could teach a newb how to play the game. Like a band-aid and some neosporin. Get better quicker. I think rt might have to fall to a proven pro also. they are gonna get a qb i have no doubt but i hope every other pick 1-4 is defnsive front.

also i do not want to be an argonaut either!

Dareus may go #2 overall. He is well worth #3 overall.

No need to trade down if you want Dareaus.

As mentioned earlier drafting a TE is a wasted pick, TE is a great position to full through FA. It's rare for a rookie TE to make an impact. The learning curve is huge from College to the Pros.

I must say that Bill P.has a great point but we cannot afford that. We are too bad right now. I mean we are the worst defense and the laughing stock of the league. " well Joe how will you plan for the Bills this week?" Well Sam i think the Bills are agreat team and show some potential but I think we will just run all damn day and see how that works for us!

just kidding :)

Dareus may go #2 overall. He is well worth #3 overall.

No need to trade down if you want Dareaus.

As mentioned earlier drafting a TE is a wasted pick, TE is a great position to full through FA. It's rare for a rookie TE to make an impact. The learning curve is huge from College to the Pros.

I do.

Lets be honest, Fairley, Bowers, and Dareus ARE the best 3 players in this draft regardless of position. Quinn may be in the discussion too but he didnt play this year.

Green and Peterson are not the BPAs at 3, its a moot argument to me.

As sad as it is Kelsay is our best DE in a 4-3 alignment and williams is our best DL and best in a 4-3 as a DT so I can see why we want to go to a 3-4. I say draft Dareus and play him , troup, Willams and kelsay and rotate in Edwards and some other big guy, ie Carrington and go with it. Has to be better than what weve been like.

OK.

He went to Hawaii this year playing out of a 3-4 because?

Because the Bills stopped trying to play a classic 3-4 and went to a one-gap 3-4/4-3 hybrid. (They ended up not having the players to play either a straight 3-4 or 4-3.)

There's no shame in it. Warren Sapp was arguably the best 3-tech ever. The Raiders decided they'd play him as a 5-tech and he was vastly less effective.