Steelers approach vs. Tom Modrak

David D

From an ESPN insider article....

"They do this with a personnel blueprint nearly every franchise has tried to duplicate: by getting as many as 10 pairs of eyes on every draft prospect, they are able to pick exceptionally well, with few big mistakes, and restock their roster each fall with young, talented and cost-efficient players who perfectly fit their schemes."

Obviously we have a scout department, not one person stands up and says, hey this maybin kid has a 30" waist or can we afford a reggie bush type player (spiller)on this roster,etc. Or, we do have guys objecting and RW and TM just over ride everyone?

There are bad picks, and there are ridiculous picks. Bad picks make the team and play mediocre. Ridiculous picks, like Maybin, hold out, shave crap into their hair, and flat out suck. Dude can't even do special teams. McCargo....wow. Losman. Flowers. Williams.

Bad picks: McKelvin seems to be a mistake at #11, Spiller? Jury's out....I think it was a bad pick at number 9. Number 9 is supposed to come in and start and be a difference maker.

We are a bad drafting team.

Apparently not.

I think this past Thursday the Buffalo News had an article from Ralph on just the topic of Mr. Modrak, and he and Buddy both gave the usual party line.

Now, I don't fault Buddy- he's coming into this situation.

But Wilson's comments certainly demonstrate that he is similar to Al Davis in this regard. We have a decade of squandered 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders. High value picks. The players that we drafted back in 2004-2005 should be the backbone of our team; they should be a "core" that we can build around. I don't know if we even have more than 3 players that were drafted by the Bills in 2004-2005 that are still with the team.

Ralph stated that Modrak has been with the team for awhile. No kidding. Because you won't fire his arse! Ralph hid behind the typical Modrak defender line of "he was overruled" on his draft advice.

I just don't understand how that can be. If 3 different, FAILED regimes all thought that Modrak's input was not worth considering, then why is he still employed? I mean, if the worst of the worst won't listen, what does that say about Modrak?

Furthermore, even if Ralph wants to pin it all on the previous failed regimes...those regimes had to get their scouting information on the players that they did select from somebody.

And that is where...like you mentioned...Modrak or somebody in a position of knowledge and authority should have come forth and said "Maybin is too raw and untested and too unproven/ undersized to select in the 1st round", or "Haloti Ngata tests better and adds more help to the overall scheme of a defense than Donte Whitner does", etc.

Giving Modrak and the scouts a pass is detestable, IMO. 3 failed regimes and the drafting remained horrific. Is it more likely that 3 entirely different regimes were at fault and poor little Tommy was not being listened to, or more likely that the scouting department has been delivering the same duds for a decade now, and 3 different regimes have been trusting their scouting information and draft board?

There are bad picks, and there are ridiculous picks. Bad picks make the team and play mediocre. Ridiculous picks, like Maybin, hold out, shave crap into their hair, and flat out suck. Dude can't even do special teams. McCargo....wow. Losman. Flowers. Williams.

Bad picks: McKelvin seems to be a mistake at #11, Spiller? Jury's out....I think it was a bad pick at number 9. Number 9 is supposed to come in and start and be a difference maker.

Absolutely.

Yet Modrak gets a pass from the owner.

That means that Modrak is either the biggest "yes" man in the league, or nobody values his input enough to consider his advice. Somebody on this site has already done this in a previous post, but go back and find that interview post draft where Modrak was trumpeting the many virtues of one Aaron Maybin.

And I'm not trying to be hard on Modrak. What his defenders seem to fail to grasp is that our futility drafting has stretched for a DECADE!!! There is consistency in our suckitude. If Modrak screwed up w/Maybin and Losman and McCArgo...no big deal. We all make mistakes. These were all 1st round selections, but nonetheless, we all screw up from time to time. Having 1 or 2 bad years in a decade is forgiveable.

But it hasnt been 1 or 2 or even 3 players...its been virtually EVERY player, certainly in the top 3 rounds for the past decade (Eric Wood not included). Maybin, Whitner, McCArgo, Losman, McGahee, Williams, Flowers, McKelvin, trading a 1st rounder to NE for Bledsoe, all, IMO were terrible decisions. Lynch is gone. Evans has never stepped into the #1 role that he is being paid for and led the team. He is not a game breaker.

Eric Wood is the sole bright spot in 10 years. It is also, coincidentally, the 1st year Nix came on board. We drafted Bryd that year, too.

IF we are going to be a small market team, and not sign any names to huge contracts in free agency (the Russ "Barnum & Bailey" Brandon circus of signing TO), then we will have to have THE best scouting department in the NFL to keep the roster stocked with Grade A talent.

Judging by the past decade, can anybody claim that we have the best scouting department (and finding 1 or 2 undrafted college free agents does not count)?

Judging by the past decade, can anybody claim that we have the best scouting department (and finding 1 or 2 undrafted college free agents does not count)?

Evidently, the owner is satisfied with Tom Modrak and the scouting department. His voice is the only voice that counts because he is the boss. Do you know what happens when he is challenged? Just ask Bill Polian. When you have a retrospective owner who brings in an ill-equipped Marv Levy to help him turn the franchise around, then what do you expect? When Levy understandably bails out of a situation that is too overwhelming--who takes over for him? The marketing guru, Russ Brandon. If that is not a head-scratcher, then what is. What do you expect when a sheltered owner in Michigan is making the important staffing decisions?

Just maybe, the franchise might now have someone in Nix with a reasonable level of competency who has an understanding as to how to manage the job. He brought in Whaley, he hired a competent HC who is good at assessing players and by hiring a coach like Wanndstadt, demonstrates a willingness to look outside for assistance.

No one should be surprised that two of the oldest owners, Wilson and Al Davis, preside over franchises that are noted for their lack of success, in addition to the chaos and tumolt surrounding their teams. Each of these irrascible owners are known for their stubbornness and insistence to meddle. They both continue to try to fix the problems with their respective franchises not recognizing they are the main problem.

OK, TC in St Louis - that just begs the original question "why are we a bad drafting team"?

"They do this with a personnel blueprint nearly every franchise has tried to duplicate: by getting as many as 10 pairs of eyes on every draft prospect, they are able to pick exceptionally well, with few big mistakes, and restock their roster each fall with young, talented and cost-efficient players who perfectly fit their schemes."

Obviously we have a scout department, not one person stands up and says, hey this maybin kid has a 30" waist or can we afford a reggie bush type player (spiller)on this roster,etc. Or, we do have guys objecting and RW and TM just over ride everyone?

So the Steelers are the only team in the NFL that get 10 scouts to look at every prospect? If it were that easy, wouldn't every team use 10 scouts to look at every prospect? In fact, doesn't every team other then the cheap Bengals employ at least 10 scouts already?

In this case, I really do agree with Wilson. Donahoe always tried to make the "big splash" in the first round. Modrak may have tried to convince him to choose better players, but with Donahoe's ego, nobody could ever tell. Then it was Marv Levy making the calls. How do we know that Modrak wasn't pushing hard for Ngata when Levy just fell in love with Whitner?? We don't know that. Then when Brandon ran the draft with Modrak, who knows if Modrak didn't splash Orakpo all over Brandon's board, but Russ wanted to make that "steal of the draft" name for himself by taking the one year wonder Maybin???

Everyone thinks Wilson is the biggest liar in the world. I agree that he may be lousy at hiring his football department, but Modrak really doesn't make the final call on draft picks, now does he??? Nix was in charge of the luxury pick of Spiller last year. Even lifetime football guy 70 year old Buddy Nix's ego got the best of him and he took the "splashy" guy 8 teams had passed over so maybe he could have gotten credit for the "steal of the draft." It must have something to do with Buffalo. These GM's always feel the need to make the "steal of the draft" picks over the obvious smart choices based on the Bills' 15 year need for a franchise QB and 15 year need for the best offensive linemen available in the draft. And for the past 10 years, we can add the obvious need for talented D-Linemen and linebackers.

Now that Wilson and Nix have officially defended Modrak, it is time for Nix to start picking draft picks that make freakin' common sense!! But I don't think Wilson was lying to protect his need to keep Modrak on board, rather I think he reallys was laying the blame where it belonged, on the guys who made the final calls on the draft picks.

Absolutely.

Yet Modrak gets a pass from the owner.

That means that Modrak is either the biggest "yes" man in the league, or nobody values his input enough to consider his advice. Somebody on this site has already done this in a previous post, but go back and find that interview post draft where Modrak was trumpeting the many virtues of one Aaron Maybin.

And I'm not trying to be hard on Modrak. What his defenders seem to fail to grasp is that our futility drafting has stretched for a DECADE!!! There is consistency in our suckitude. If Modrak screwed up w/Maybin and Losman and McCArgo...no big deal. We all make mistakes. These were all 1st round selections, but nonetheless, we all screw up from time to time. Having 1 or 2 bad years in a decade is forgiveable.

But it hasnt been 1 or 2 or even 3 players...its been virtually EVERY player, certainly in the top 3 rounds for the past decade (Eric Wood not included). Maybin, Whitner, McCArgo, Losman, McGahee, Williams, Flowers, McKelvin, trading a 1st rounder to NE for Bledsoe, all, IMO were terrible decisions. Lynch is gone. Evans has never stepped into the #1 role that he is being paid for and led the team. He is not a game breaker.

Eric Wood is the sole bright spot in 10 years. It is also, coincidentally, the 1st year Nix came on board. We drafted Bryd that year, too.

IF we are going to be a small market team, and not sign any names to huge contracts in free agency (the Russ "Barnum & Bailey" Brandon circus of signing TO), then we will have to have THE best scouting department in the NFL to keep the roster stocked with Grade A talent.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eric Wood as a player and know his broken leg set him back. But, how many teams spend 1st round picks, a pick acquired for an All-Pro LT, on the right guard position? (Hopefully, Wood can be moved to the pivot for the next decade plus.)

Apparently not.

I think this past Thursday the Buffalo News had an article from Ralph on just the topic of Mr. Modrak, and he and Buddy both gave the usual party line.

Now, I don't fault Buddy- he's coming into this situation.

But Wilson's comments certainly demonstrate that he is similar to Al Davis in this regard. We have a decade of squandered 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders. High value picks. The players that we drafted back in 2004-2005 should be the backbone of our team; they should be a "core" that we can build around. I don't know if we even have more than 3 players that were drafted by the Bills in 2004-2005 that are still with the team.

Ralph stated that Modrak has been with the team for awhile. No kidding. Because you won't fire his arse! Ralph hid behind the typical Modrak defender line of "he was overruled" on his draft advice.

I just don't understand how that can be. If 3 different, FAILED regimes all thought that Modrak's input was not worth considering, then why is he still employed? I mean, if the worst of the worst won't listen, what does that say about Modrak?

Furthermore, even if Ralph wants to pin it all on the previous failed regimes...those regimes had to get their scouting information on the players that they did select from somebody.

And that is where...like you mentioned...Modrak or somebody in a position of knowledge and authority should have come forth and said "Maybin is too raw and untested and too unproven/ undersized to select in the 1st round", or "Haloti Ngata tests better and adds more help to the overall scheme of a defense than Donte Whitner does", etc.

Giving Modrak and the scouts a pass is detestable, IMO. 3 failed regimes and the drafting remained horrific. Is it more likely that 3 entirely different regimes were at fault and poor little Tommy was not being listened to, or more likely that the scouting department has been delivering the same duds for a decade now, and 3 different regimes have been trusting their scouting information and draft board?

My response to the bold print above is that, according to Ralph, Modrak never had the power to make the draft selections in the first place. He is apparently not accountable for the drafts.

What a great gig! Thank you Ralph. You have a VP of Scouting that over a ten year period is not held accountable for the players we draft. How about that? I find that incredible.

I want to work for Ralph Wilson. WOW!!!

OK, TC in St Louis - that just begs the original question "why are we a bad drafting team"?

Mistakes do happen when assessing talent, but many of the teams problem stem from instability at the head coaching position. It's hard to build consistency when there is constant turn over. Each scheme usually employs specific talents. Change the scheme and the players you had for the old scheme are now not a good fit. Some people just can't play at this level, even though expectations were high on draft day. Also GM's/head scouts sometimes get overruled by HC's(see Maybin). Not defending Modrak, but we can't hang Flowers on him, as he was a Butler pick before he left for SD. Also I believe Losman was a Donahoe decision. Take a look at the Steelers. Even when their HC leaves there is consistancy because he chose his successor so as not to cause monumental changes due to having the same philosophy both offensively and defencively.

Evidently, the owner is satisfied with Tom Modrak and the scouting department. His voice is the only voice that counts because he is the boss. Do you know what happens when he is challenged? Just ask Bill Polian. When you have a retrospective owner who brings in an ill-equipped Marv Levy to help him turn the franchise around, then what do you expect? When Levy understandably bails out of a situation that is too overwhelming--who takes over for him? The marketing guru, Russ Brandon. If that is not a head-scratcher, then what is. What do you expect when a sheltered owner in Michigan is making the important staffing decisions?

Just maybe, the franchise might now have someone in Nix with a reasonable level of competency who has an understanding as to how to manage the job. He brought in Whaley, he hired a competent HC who is good at assessing players and by hiring a coach like Wanndstadt, demonstrates a willingness to look outside for assistance.

No one should be surprised that two of the oldest owners, Wilson and Al Davis, preside over franchises that are noted for their lack of success, in addition to the chaos and tumolt surrounding their teams. Each of these irrascible owners are known for their stubbornness and insistence to meddle. They both continue to try to fix the problems with their respective franchises not recognizing they are the main problem.

The raiders are drafting better than we are........

Oakland Raiders

Summary: This is another team that gets a big bump up the Board, based on performance. As I wrote about Oakland midway through the season, its ability to get maximum value in "playing the draft" has been questionable, but what isn't in question is the eye for talent. Rolando McClain was a starter at linebacker, and a pretty good one; Lamarr Houston is a solution in the middle of the defensive line; and Jared Veldheer got moved around to start the season but found a home right where he was in college, as an athletic left tackle who should only get better. Then they got a steal out of Jacoby Ford as icing on the cake. His pass-catching skills are far better than his draft profile indicated. Solid work.

Draft grade: C-plus | Current Grade: A-minus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buffalo Bills

Summary:Considering the holes on the roster, Buffalo had to get players that could step in immediately and help. I like C.J. Spiller, but emphasized that I considered him a bit of a luxury pick, considering there are other options in that backfield. His season can only be considered a disappointment. Torell Troup and Arthur Moats saw some time, but is there one guy from this class who looks like an anchor? I questioned Buffalo's plan, and I'm not sure this draft shows it really had one. If it did, that plan went off course early.

Draft grade: C-plus | Current Grade: D-plus

So the Steelers are the only team in the NFL that get 10 scouts to look at every prospect? If it were that easy, wouldn't every team use 10 scouts to look at every prospect? In fact, doesn't every team other then the cheap Bengals employ at least 10 scouts already?

In this case, I really do agree with Wilson. Donahoe always tried to make the "big splash" in the first round. Modrak may have tried to convince him to choose better players, but with Donahoe's ego, nobody could ever tell. Then it was Marv Levy making the calls. How do we know that Modrak wasn't pushing hard for Ngata when Levy just fell in love with Whitner?? We don't know that. Then when Brandon ran the draft with Modrak, who knows if Modrak didn't splash Orakpo all over Brandon's board, but Russ wanted to make that "steal of the draft" name for himself by taking the one year wonder Maybin???

Everyone thinks Wilson is the biggest liar in the world. I agree that he may be lousy at hiring his football department, but Modrak really doesn't make the final call on draft picks, now does he??? Nix was in charge of the luxury pick of Spiller last year. Even lifetime football guy 70 year old Buddy Nix's ego got the best of him and he took the "splashy" guy 8 teams had passed over so maybe he could have gotten credit for the "steal of the draft." It must have something to do with Buffalo. These GM's always feel the need to make the "steal of the draft" picks over the obvious smart choices based on the Bills' 15 year need for a franchise QB and 15 year need for the best offensive linemen available in the draft. And for the past 10 years, we can add the obvious need for talented D-Linemen and linebackers.

Now that Wilson and Nix have officially defended Modrak, it is time for Nix to start picking draft picks that make freakin' common sense!! But I don't think Wilson was lying to protect his need to keep Modrak on board, rather I think he reallys was laying the blame where it belonged, on the guys who made the final calls on the draft picks.

I agree with most of this, except about Spiller being a luxury pick. The entire FO knew that we needed someone to make plays on offense and even telegraphed their pick in interviews (Nix and Gailey) saying we'd like to get a "water bug" type player that can be moved around to make plays. They did exactly that. The problem turned out to be that Spiller was not able to transition to the NFL, and especially to the Bills where big holes were not there and running around everyone was not possible. Bottom line is that the pick just didn't work out as they hoped. The pick was the result of Nix needing to generate some excitement rather than building the trenches first. I'll bet he was just a pissed about how far the defense fell in switching the 3-4 as the rest of us. Let's see how he responds this year.

I suppose it's fun to whine and continue to hand wring on past drafts. I like this years draft. Next year I expect to see significant impact from Carrington, Troup, Moats and Easely. Spiller has the talent and needs to learn patience running inside, but I expect a breakout year from him. You can spend all your time and energy looking backwards or looking ahead. The bottom line is Nix is now making the calls. We don't have to guess about what Modrak or anyone else doing. Buddy is the bottom line and the guy with is head on the block. Who give's a crap about what a subordinate does or doesn't do. It's Buddy's team and you negs now have a clear and easy target should our situation not improve. You should be happy about that.

The raiders are drafting better than we are........

Oakland Raiders

Summary: This is another team that gets a big bump up the Board, based on performance. As I wrote about Oakland midway through the season, its ability to get maximum value in "playing the draft" has been questionable, but what isn't in question is the eye for talent. Rolando McClain was a starter at linebacker, and a pretty good one; Lamarr Houston is a solution in the middle of the defensive line; and Jared Veldheer got moved around to start the season but found a home right where he was in college, as an athletic left tackle who should only get better. Then they got a steal out of Jacoby Ford as icing on the cake. His pass-catching skills are far better than his draft profile indicated. Solid work.

Draft grade: C-plus | Current Grade: A-minus

I agree that Oakland had a good draft last year. But with Al Davis at the helm there is always going to be unnecessary conflicts and chaos. Al Davis wasn't all wrong with his feud with Kiffin. But he was the one who selected him. Al Davis had some good reasons not too be satisfied with some of the unappealing attributes of Cable. Again, pugnacious Al was the person who hired him.

The most consistently successful franchises such as the Steelers, Packers, Giants, Ravens etc have strong organizations and staff. There is a confidence in the organizational philosophy that allows the franchise to rebound when there are tough times. With the mercurial Al Davis you just never know when the next feud is going to materialize to distract the organization from the business of winning football games. Stability is certainly not a hallmark of the Raiders.

Al Davis has health issues. But he is not going let it go. Ralph Wilson is clearly out of touch with the NFL of today. He also is not going to let it go. That is an obstacle that only father time will solve.

I agree with you that Jacoby Ford was a tremendous draft selection. He is going to be a dynamic player.

Edited by JohnC

I suppose it's fun to whine and continue to hand wring on past drafts. I like this years draft. Next year I expect to see significant impact from Carrington, Troup, Moats and Easely. Spiller has the talent and needs to learn patience running inside, but I expect a breakout year from him. You can spend all your time and energy looking backwards or looking ahead. The bottom line is Nix is now making the calls. We don't have to guess about what Modrak or anyone else doing. Buddy is the bottom line and the guy with is head on the block. Who give's a crap about what a subordinate does or doesn't do. It's Buddy's team and you negs now have a clear and easy target should our situation not improve. You should be happy about that.

What if what you want is to cheer for a good football team?

Having a scapegoat and a human shield for systemic dysfunction isn't all its cracked up to be for football fans that want to watch good football.

Don't get me wrong, I like Eric Wood as a player and know his broken leg set him back. But, how many teams spend 1st round picks, a pick acquired for an All-Pro LT, on the right guard position? (Hopefully, Wood can be moved to the pivot for the next decade plus.)

My God, are you really criticizing the Bills for taking Eric wood with a first round pic? #28 no less. He was considered one of the best centers coming out of that year. I guess the Bills just can't do anything right. sigh.(there really should be an emoticon for sigh)...they do have one of these though. :wallbash:

here is a qoute from wikipedia.

"Alongside Alex Mack, Wood was considered one of the best centers available in the 2009 NFL Draft.[4] He has been compared to Brad Meester by The Sporting News,[5] but his instincts and "nastiness" on the field had scouts comparing him to the NFL's old time centers like Mike Webster of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Tim Grunhard of the Kansas City Chiefs"

Mistakes do happen when assessing talent, but many of the teams problem stem from instability at the head coaching position. It's hard to build consistency when there is constant turn over. Each scheme usually employs specific talents. Change the scheme and the players you had for the old scheme are now not a good fit. Some people just can't play at this level, even though expectations were high on draft day. Also GM's/head scouts sometimes get overruled by HC's(see Maybin). Not defending Modrak, but we can't hang Flowers on him, as he was a Butler pick before he left for SD. Also I believe Losman was a Donahoe decision. Take a look at the Steelers. Even when their HC leaves there is consistancy because he chose his successor so as not to cause monumental changes due to having the same philosophy both offensively and defencively.

Great points about the organization's general instability. But the head coaching carousel is a symptom, not a cause.

The Bills have had 14 head coaches in the last 40 years. That is the most turnover in the NFL.

In that time they've had numerous general managers as well.

But again, the organizational instability are all symptoms of bad ownership. The Buffalo Bills have no "organizational memory," they have no "organizational competency." And has been pointed out, they have no "organizational philosophy."

Over Ralph's ownership of the team, they've made the same mistakes over and over, seemingly never using 50 years of existence as a basis for accumulating expertise, knowledge, and wisdom. Every day is like Groundhog Day except the part where they actually learn something.

The Steelers (and Packers, and Chiefs) are great smaller market organizations that minimize their mistakes and pour their resources into areas they know will allow them to compete. The Bills?

BTW, your point about the Steelers and their head coaching succession is not correct. Cowher did not choose Mike Tomlin. Cowher recommended that Chan Gailey succeed him in Pittsburgh. Many pundits thought that Steeler assistants Ken Whisenhunt or Russ Grimm would get the Pittsburgh job after Cowher.

The Rooneys selected MIke Tomlin from outside the organization. Tomlin is from the Tony Dungy coaching tree and never worked for the Rooneys or Cowher.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Except for the fact that the article is total bull ****, it seems like a good idea to have more input.

The description is more fitting of the Patriots.

The Steelers have one of the oldest rosters with more over 30 starters than most teams.

The Steelers have a good approach but as much as I hate them I'd take NE's (specifically Belichick) approach. Inside the NFL had a great roundtable several weeks ago with Jason Whitlock (Fox Commentator) who claims that NE looks into the family make-up and character of the player and uses it as a major decision factor. [it's a video clip on their site but I couldn't get a direct link to it; excellent discussion. ] Sure, talent is important but the "me" guys or the one's that get "lotto rich syndrome" can really hurt team chemistry. The notable exception of course is Moss, but he got him at the right time and dumped him as he started to rot again. The Lynch's and Peter's are great talents but were they worth the baggage? The Steelers have also been hurt (although not as significantly) in this area. Rothlisberger's (apparent) change in attitude after his suspension has stepped up his game and the Steelers as a whole IMO.

I'm typically an optimistic poster and tend to look on the bright side…and even spin things in a positive direction.

But you have to call a spade a spade.

There are things the Bills have done recently that I've liked very much.

I initially liked the hiring of Gailey and Nix. Now that they've been on the job for approximately one year, we can start to judge them.

I've liked that they've brought in Whaley and Wannstedt. I've liked some of the draft picks and think that the 2010 draft will improve with age. I even liked some of the free agent signings…Andra Davis and Dwan Edwards are both very solid, excellent pros. Unfortunately both of them got injured.

I like that the Bills were extremely active throughout the season bringing in and trying out many players…we'd not seen this degree of due diligence in the past. To pick up Kraig Urbik, and Chad Rinehart (two highly regarded offensive linemen) who were made available by extenuating circumstances was certainly a coup for the team and showed that they understood that they had to take advantage of their high waiver position and look everywhere for football players.

As for calling a spade a spade, I made a post immediately after the draft that I objected to two things about the Spiller pick. That the Bills seemed almost too intent on selecting him (and I really don't want to raise this debate yet again but I saw no reason for the "rush to the podium"), and I questioned picking Spiller so highly when Best and McCluster would be available later on.

However, I withheld further criticism of the pick and gave benefit of doubt to the Bills. I am really hoping that Spiller makes a big jump in his second season.

I understand Gailey and staff for giving Trent Edwards another chance before finally giving up on him but to be honest, I really didn't see any way he was going to be the player they hoped he would become. I thought that giving Trent one last chance was somewhat of a waste of time.

I also have always felt that Marshawn Lynch was an overrated player and combined with his bad track record here in Buffalo, I question the wisdom of the Bills treating him like a coveted asset instead of a movable asset. IMO, they should have traded him before last year's draft. I don't know nor do I want to debate whether they could have gotten more or less for Lynch had they traded him one year ago but it would have been better having one more mid-round draft pick on our roster from last year's draft, because as Marv always correctly stated, "your best rookies are last year's rookies."

So the last year has been somewhat of a mixed bag with some good and some not so good.

On balance, I think the Bills are turning things around but their margin for error is very slim, and the NFL, and especially the AFC East, is VERY competitive.

This team has to be almost flawless going forward to catch up with their competition and I think they have to be very aggressive in the short run in terms of player acquisition.