Buddy wants declared juniors

bananathumb

Nix was interviewed at yesterday's practice in Mobile and the first thing he said was "I want to do a little politikin"

He went on to say it was dumb not to include the declared Juniors in the Senior Bowl.

Some will say, "Hey Buddy, it's the SENIOR Bowl!" but I think he is right. Why bother sending your entire staff to Mobile (except for Wanny) when you don't get a chance to see the best players? Buddy and Chan would have had a great advantage see at first hand and coaching guys like Fairley, Dareus, Mallett and Newton, to just mention a few. A lot of the seniors they have to coach wouldn't even have made the squad. They are essentially coaching mid to late-rounders, with a few exceptions. In any case, old Buddy wasn't shy about ruffling the feathers of BOTH the Senior Bowl organizers and the NFL.

When the interview was over, none of those brilliant NFL Networks dudes had a word to say about it, because they know on which side their bread is buttered.

Never heard anyone else make this point before, so good on you, Buddy.

A lot of the seniors they have to coach wouldn't even have made the squad. They are essentially coaching mid to late-rounders, with a few exceptions.

I disagree just for this reason. Once this week is over, there will be a microscope on those other players until the draft. Film will be watched until their eyes bleed, no stone will be left unturned.

Yes, it would be great to have even more info on them, but I don' see anything wrong with getting a much better look at the drafts mid-rounders. Hell, that's been the Bills' bread and butter anyway.

And on a lesser note, I think giving the guys who stayed in school for 4 years the small advantage of getting to work closely with NFL coaches and make one last case for themselves is a good thing.

I disagree just for this reason. Once this week is over, there will be a microscope on those other players until the draft. Film will be watched until their eyes bleed, no stone will be left unturned.

Yes, it would be great to have even more info on them, but I don' see anything wrong with getting a much better look at the drafts mid-rounders. Hell, that's been the Bills' bread and butter anyway.

And on a lesser note, I think giving the guys who stayed in school for 4 years the small advantage of getting to work closely with NFL coaches and make one last case for themselves is a good thing.

I think this post sums it up well.

If Buddy or any other GM needs a college equivalent of the Pro Bowl, a single game, to help them decide who to draft....then it's likely they don't have a solid scouting apparatus in place.

Oh, wait.....

When Polian, Smith, Pioli, Bellichick, Colbert, or Ted Thompson say they need to have underclassmen in the Senior Bowl, maybe I'll think Buddy's onto something. Barring that, it just makes us look a bit more clueless, "a little politikin" aside.

Buddy has a good point. The idea that college football is about building student-atheletes is almost comical now. The senior bowl is a NFL meat markert preview so why not just call it what it is. Besides, for the declared junior, this is their senior bowl. And just because "genius" Hoody or Polian didn't say it first, it doesn't make us look "clueless" as WEO says. Get over your Buffalo inferiority complex and be happy we have a GM that's out and involved and not a follower.

It actually makes good sense. Teams are scouting college seniors all year long and then they have just 3 months to do all of the work on juniors that they do in a year on a senior. More exposure can't be a bad thing. Plus, who wouldn't want to see the BEST players in the country play in an all star game. Think how good that game would be!

I think this post sums it up well.

If Buddy or any other GM needs a college equivalent of the Pro Bowl, a single game, to help them decide who to draft....then it's likely they don't have a solid scouting apparatus in place.

Oh, wait.....

When Polian, Smith, Pioli, Bellichick, Colbert, or Ted Thompson say they need to have underclassmen in the Senior Bowl, maybe I'll think Buddy's onto something. Barring that, it just makes us look a bit more clueless, "a little politikin" aside.

I think they wanted it THIS year because they would've had achance to coach them , and get that much better of a feel for the players. There are more underclassmen than ever coming out this year because of the collective bargaining talks. I think they have their hands full trying to evaulate so many Juniors, and next years draft won't be as good.

This is a very important draft.

Why don't they have the Junior Bowl ??? they would have one more game to charge money for & be able to evaluate the other players that are coming out early .

YA YA DAT's DE TICKET YA DAT's WHAT DEY SHOULD DO YA YA SURE SURE :w00t: !!!!

Edited by T master

Nix was interviewed at yesterday's practice in Mobile and the first thing he said was "I want to do a little politikin"

He went on to say it was dumb not to include the declared Juniors in the Senior Bowl.

Some will say, "Hey Buddy, it's the SENIOR Bowl!" but I think he is right. Why bother sending your entire staff to Mobile (except for Wanny) when you don't get a chance to see the best players? Buddy and Chan would have had a great advantage see at first hand and coaching guys like Fairley, Dareus, Mallett and Newton, to just mention a few. A lot of the seniors they have to coach wouldn't even have made the squad. They are essentially coaching mid to late-rounders, with a few exceptions. In any case, old Buddy wasn't shy about ruffling the feathers of BOTH the Senior Bowl organizers and the NFL.

When the interview was over, none of those brilliant NFL Networks dudes had a word to say about it, because they know on which side their bread is buttered.

Never heard anyone else make this point before, so good on you, Buddy.

As a Personnel man I certainly understand why he would want to compare Cam Jordan with Bowers or jj Watt. I do think it should be for seniors though.

Buddy has a good point. The idea that college football is about building student-atheletes is almost comical now. The senior bowl is a NFL meat markert preview so why not just call it what it is. Besides, for the declared junior, this is their senior bowl. And just because "genius" Hoody or Polian didn't say it first, it doesn't make us look "clueless" as WEO says. Get over your Buffalo inferiority complex and be happy we have a GM that's out and involved and not a follower.

The point you miss is that none of those guys I mentioned (I would bet) would change their draft board based on the handful of snaps any given player may be on the field for in a single college all-star game. To make it simpler, it's not that they "didn't say it first", it's that they would never say it. Got it?

It actually makes good sense. Teams are scouting college seniors all year long and then they have just 3 months to do all of the work on juniors that they do in a year on a senior. More exposure can't be a bad thing. Plus, who wouldn't want to see the BEST players in the country play in an all star game. Think how good that game would be!

What?? Come on, they are scouting the juniors who are likely to come out (it's rarely a surprise when they declare).

An all-star game with the best players in the country? Who wouldn't want to see that? Check out the Pro Bowl and get back to me.

If I was going to spend the big bucks that Buddy will have to on the 3rd pick, I would want to look at that junior talent up close as well. So, can't blame him there. And as for the practices not being scoutable, well, thats what scounting combines are for. These guys are playing their first "official" game for money, winner gets more...so they care. And 1/3 of the plays are special teams...so get it right. I still think the Bills will take Jake Locker in the first round....oh well.

Disagree. It's invitational and primarily helps/hurts players that aren't already on the top of most draft boards. (Early entry juniors that fall in that area should stop listening to dumb agents trying to make a buck off them.)

If the juniors want to play in the Senior Bowl, they can stay in school another year. B-)

On the other hand, if a team can't really evaluate players until they see them play in a couple of real games, then maybe it would help. :devil:

On the other hand, if a team can't really evaluate players until they see them play in a couple of real games, then maybe it would help. :devil:

this does seem to be the Nix / Gailey modus operandi - which is why they treated the 2010 season as a throwaway talent evaluation period so they could watch the games first hand.

seems the entire scouting process is built the same way

seems these guys can't evaluate off of film - so they are severely limited in the number of players they can see personally

also does not help when you combine the above with an aversion from leaving your vacation home in Florida

The point you miss is that none of those guys I mentioned (I would bet) would change their draft board based on the handful of snaps any given player may be on the field for in a single college all-star game. To make it simpler, it's not that they "didn't say it first", it's that they would never say it. Got it?

If that's the point I missed it was worth missing. Draft boards change when someone clocks a good time in 40 yard dash so you're wrong. Buddy had a valid observation and doesnt' give a rat's *ss about who would or would not say it. I like that in a GM. Got it?