20 years ago on Thursday

There's an entire generation of young folks, like myself, that is defined by the fact that we lost all those Superbowls, even though we would have been just a bit too young to appreciate them. I can't say that I don't wish we won one of them, but personally, I don't know that my pride in my WNY heritage would be as strong as it would be if we had won one. As far as developing into a fan since the early nineties (my first memories not only as a Bills fan, but also as a human), I feel like it's been more worth it to be pulling for a first SB victory than it'd have been to be rooting for a seventh SB victory. And do you know what? I would not have it any other way, because I love every up and down with my family, my region, and my fanbase. Since high school I have moved away from WNY, but every single day of my life I wonder how feasible it would be to move back. I find myself clinging to that WNY heritage more and more as each day away from it comes and goes.

My question is: How much would be different if we had won one of those Superbowls? Would we find less necessity to have regional pride? Perhaps, as Bills fans, we cannot know or understand the answer. However, I observe that Steelers fans are just as relentless even after winning twice in the past five seasons. I can only speculate that after we win just ONE, I wouldn't care nearly as much about winning subsequent titles. Packers fans, meanwhile, are seeking solace in the fact that they FINALLY get to another Superbowl after thirteen LOOOONNGGGG years. Well, maybe they need to count their blessings after winning one just fourteen years ago. If the Bills had won one that recently, I don't think I could find reason to complain; however, is that just relative to the fact that we, as Bills fans, have not known what it feels like to win one? I think it's just interesting to think about our motives relative to other great fanbases (including PIT and GB), based on relative success in our recent teams' histories. And, to relate back to the original point of the thread, the identity of Bills fans of my generation would be WAAAYYY different had SN made that one field goal twenty shirt years ago. Agree or disagree?

Edited by Cereal

There's an entire generation of young folks, like myself, that is defined by the fact that we lost all those Superbowls, even though we would have been just a bit too young to appreciate them. I can't say that I don't wish we won one of them, but personally, I don't know that my pride in my WNY heritage would be as strong as it would be if we had won one. As far as developing into a fan since the early nineties (my first memories not only as a Bills fan, but also as a human), I feel like it's been more worth it to be pulling for a first SB victory than it'd have been to be rooting for a seventh SB victory. And do you know what? I would not have it any other way, because I love every up and down with my family, my region, and my fanbase. Since high school I have moved away from WNY, but every single day of my life I wonder how feasible it would be to move back. I find myself clinging to that WNY heritage more and more as each day away from it comes and goes.

My question is: How much would be different if we had won one of those Superbowls? Would we find less necessity to have regional pride? Perhaps, as Bills fans, we cannot know or understand the answer. However, I observe that Steelers fans are just as relentless even after winning twice in the past five seasons. I can only speculate that after we win just ONE, I wouldn't care nearly as much about winning subsequent titles. Packers fans, meanwhile, are seeking solace in the fact that they FINALLY get to another Superbowl after thirteen LOOOONNGGGG years. Well, maybe they need to count their blessings after winning one just fourteen years ago. If the Bills had won one that recently, I don't think I could find reason to complain; however, is that just relative to the fact that we, as Bills fans, have not known what it feels like to win one? I think it's just interesting to think about our motives relative to other great fanbases (including PIT and GB), based on relative success in our recent teams' histories. And, to relate back to the original point of the thread, the identity of Bills fans of my generation would be WAAAYYY different had SN made that one field goal twenty shirt years ago. Agree or disagree?

Agree but trust me you would want more, maybe if we had just won the last few the desire wouldn't be as intense but after a few years you would be just as hungry.

It was 20 years ago, today

Sgt. Levy taught the band to play

They've been going in and out of style

But they're guaranteed to raise a smile

So let me introduce to you

The act you've known for all these years

Sgt. Levy's Lonely Hearts Club Ba-a-a-and!

"The quiet man of this football team.. Scott Norwood. He can fire the shot heard 'round the world now!..

Snap!

Ball down!

Kick up!

Kick is.........

..... "

My wife laughs at me all the time because they show that damn play all the time, and for some reason I can't look away from it, I watch it every time, so she asked me one time why I put myself through that over and over, I sat and thought about it for a second and the only thing I could say was I just know one of these times I'm going to wake up and he is going to make that kick

This article from ESPN kind of slipped through the cracks this morning. It seems like Parcells & Co. had a totally different mindset heading into Super Bowl Week- arriving ASAP from San Fran and getting to work immediately on-site. On the other hand, it appears to me that Levy and the coaching staff may have taken for granted being in the Super Bowl (getting in late Monday night, missing the mandatory news conference due to preparations). This possible lack of preparation, coupled with the relaxed attitude of some players partying, seems to have been harmful to the Bills. I wonder if the outcome would have been different if they would have come in ready to work and put aside much of the celebration until after the game was over.

Just curiosity on my part. I'm still proud of what the team accomplished during that era. Hard to believe it's been 20 years, though.

Still remember the sick feeling in my gut the last few minutes of the game. After Thurman's TD run, I thought we were back in it for sure, but we just could not get the Giants off the field. I had the in-laws and a bunch of other people over to watch the game. My oldest daughters (now 23 and 22) must have thought we were crazy with all the yelling and screaming during the last few minutes of that game. If we had gotten another 5 yards on the ground, I think Scotty would have made the kick. :cry:

Twenty years . . . W O W ! :beer:

Fast forward three years to Super Bowl 28 against the Dallas Cowboys. The Georgia Dome. Bills fourth Super Bowl in a row, losing the previous three.

Third quarter, Bills are leading. The Dallas Cowboys are playing like s**t.

Thurman Thomas takes the hand-off from Jim Kelly and Cowboys Leon Lett barely touches the ball and Thomas loses it.

The ball is recovered by Cowboys James Washington who runs it in for a TD.

The rest is history.

THIS is the Super Bowl that the Buffalo Bills should have won. But, Thurman wasn't holding onto the ball tight enough.

Had the Bills won THIS game...... :doh:

Fast forward three years to Super Bowl 28 against the Dallas Cowboys. The Georgia Dome. Bills fourth Super Bowl in a row, losing the previous three.

Third quarter, Bills are leading. The Dallas Cowboys are playing like s**t.

Thurman Thomas takes the hand-off from Jim Kelly and Cowboys Leon Lett barely touches the ball and Thomas loses it.

The ball is recovered by Cowboys James Washington who runs it in for a TD.

The rest is history.

THIS is the Super Bowl that the Buffalo Bills should have won. But, Thurman wasn't holding onto the ball tight enough.

Had the Bills won THIS game...... :doh:

Yup I agree; a very winable Superbowl for Buffalo. I think that the '91 Redskins team was an awesone machine - they rolled through the NFC playoffs (Destroyed the Lions in the NFC Championship game, had a +250 point differential, and unfortunately, Buffalo's defense was riddled with injuries in '91. The '92 Cowboys just plain had more talent than the Bills. '90 and '93 Superbowls were ours for the taking . . . (sigh)

I was in the 4th grade guys and I went to the Bills vs. Fish playoff game I believe we won 44-34 and sent Danny Marino home on ice. The next we spanked da Raiders 51-3.

While everyone remembers wide right, I never forgot the coulda woulda sack safety of Hostetler...Bruce had Hos's arm, ball in hand in the end zone. If that ball pops out & either Seals or Jeff "Wrong Is" Wright fall on it instead of being up 12 to 3 we woulda been up 17 to 3. Game over no Norwood or last second FG needed.

See this YouTube link and go to 5:45 and press play......How did this guy not freaking fumble? Hos must have hands the size of Michael Jordan...If that was Daunte Culpepper we got the TD!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk_am4gJ16U.

Go Bills & maybe just maybe we'll be rebuilt in 5 years in time for the 25th aniversary of Super Bowl XXV!

Edited by BiggieScooby

This was the 1st superbowl I ever seen live.

I am french and I live in France, so this sport was (and still is) quite unknown then.

I remember well those times because my mother died a few months ago.

I didn't know any football teams (save 49ers), so I pulled for the Giants, and I was very happy at the end.

I pulled for them because the commentator/announcer said Buffalo was the favorite and Buffalo players were pretty selfich and arrogant.

I remember then in the next 3 superbowls Buffalo was the underdog, so I pulled for them, and those games sealed my fate with Buffalo.

I remember almost every play of all these superbowls... it's written in marble i guess... 20 years ago you say ???

Still fresh in my head, and it's still hurting.

Could I have salvation before i die ?

boy !