20 years ago on Thursday

There's an entire generation of young folks, like myself, that is defined by the fact that we lost all those Superbowls, even though we would have been just a bit too young to appreciate them. I can't say that I don't wish we won one of them, but personally, I don't know that my pride in my WNY heritage would be as strong as it would be if we had won one. As far as developing into a fan since the early nineties (my first memories not only as a Bills fan, but also as a human), I feel like it's been more worth it to be pulling for a first SB victory than it'd have been to be rooting for a seventh SB victory. And do you know what? I would not have it any other way, because I love every up and down with my family, my region, and my fanbase. Since high school I have moved away from WNY, but every single day of my life I wonder how feasible it would be to move back. I find myself clinging to that WNY heritage more and more as each day away from it comes and goes.

My question is: How much would be different if we had won one of those Superbowls? Would we find less necessity to have regional pride? Perhaps, as Bills fans, we cannot know or understand the answer. However, I observe that Steelers fans are just as relentless even after winning twice in the past five seasons. I can only speculate that after we win just ONE, I wouldn't care nearly as much about winning subsequent titles. Packers fans, meanwhile, are seeking solace in the fact that they FINALLY get to another Superbowl after thirteen LOOOONNGGGG years. Well, maybe they need to count their blessings after winning one just fourteen years ago. If the Bills had won one that recently, I don't think I could find reason to complain; however, is that just relative to the fact that we, as Bills fans, have not known what it feels like to win one? I think it's just interesting to think about our motives relative to other great fanbases (including PIT and GB), based on relative success in our recent teams' histories. And, to relate back to the original point of the thread, the identity of Bills fans of my generation would be WAAAYYY different had SN made that one field goal twenty shirt years ago. Agree or disagree?

Generationally speaking, I don't know what makes you guys fans of the Bills other than for regional reasons.

I just becoming a teenager when the Bills were starting to become a dominant team in the late 80's and early 90's. Kelly, Smith, Reed, Thomas, Bennett, Wolford, Hull, Tasker, Talley, Lofton...it was an amazing time to be a Bills fan.

IF anything, those times created an expectation for winning that I think alot of us older (did I just equate myself to older?) fans came to believe would last forever. For me atleast, and to watch the gradual decline of the team year after year you can see where the Bills kept going wrong, and felt a combination of powerlessness and frustration that they were doing those things to the franchise.

I think NOT winning a SB has caused a lot of grief for us fans, as a win would have somehow confirmed that we knew we had a great team on our hands for some time. We, along with I am sure the players, are left with a gigantic void of what could have been.

And are left to wonder if we will ever get so close again...

[

Edited by Red