Rules Changes to Make NFL a "Passing" League

K-9

I've read several posts recently stating that due to rules changes in the last 10 years, the NFL has become a passing league. Can someone please point out what specific rules were implemented to that make that so in the last 10 years?

Sure they've enacted rules to prevent injury to QBs and defenseless receivers but that's not specific to opening up the passing game.

Other than moving the hash marks in to open the field in the early 70s, outlawing bump and run coverage and implementing the 5-yard chuck rule while also calling pass interference more often, I don't see anything that was specifically engineered by new rules to make it a "passing league."

Innovative offensive schemes and good quarterbacking have made it a passing league. Not rules changes. If anyone can show me otherwise, I'd be happy to know.

http://www.steelersfever.com/nfl_history_of_rules.html

GO BILLS!!!

I've read several posts recently stating that due to rules changes in the last 10 years, the NFL has become a passing league. Can someone please point out what specific rules were implemented to that make that so in the last 10 years?

Sure they've enacted rules to prevent injury to QBs and defenseless receivers but that's not specific to opening up the passing game.

Other than moving the hash marks in to open the field in the early 70s, outlawing bump and run coverage and implementing the 5-yard chuck rule while also calling pass interference more often, I don't see anything that was specifically engineered by new rules to make it a "passing league."

Innovative offensive schemes and good quarterbacking have made it a passing league. Not rules changes. If anyone can show me otherwise, I'd be happy to know.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, K-9, your post mentioned several very big rule changes that are generally considered keys to this development: moving the hash marks in to open the field, outlawing bump and run coverage and implementing the 5-yard chuck rule while also calling pass interference more often. One could also argue that things such as allowing OLinemen to extend their arms and outlawing the head slap made pass blocking much easier, and the protection of the QB made passing less dangerous. The innovative schemes and better players both took advantage of those changes and pushed them even further.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

Without quoting specific rule changes, most of which are in your link, the big ones are: prohibiting contact on eligible receivers outside of 5 yards of the LOS, ever increasing protections for the QB and WR against big hits and the loosening of what constitutes holding along the offensive lines.

Basically, you have a hard time being physical with the receivers, threatening them with big hits or using them to dislodge the ball while top QBs are easier to protect, difficult to intimidate and stay on the field longer. This has helped the passing game, which has added to interest in the sport, IMO.

Edited by vincec

GO BILLS!!!

i think you pretty much nailed them. the pass interference rules have been tweaked in their enforcement, the defenseless receiver rules etc... when you give athletic receivers, especially ones as explosive as theyve become today an inch, the are going to run a mile. even things like more offseason camps will help the passing game. theres a lot more coordination on the offensive side, so more time, more impact.

one thing thatll help balance the other way is switching the ref to behind the qb, leading to more holding

Well, K-9, your post mentioned several very big rule changes that are generally considered keys to this development: moving the hash marks in to open the field, outlawing bump and run coverage and implementing the 5-yard chuck rule while also calling pass interference more often. One could also argue that things such as allowing OLinemen to extend their arms and outlawing the head slap made pass blocking much easier, and the protection of the QB made passing less dangerous. The innovative schemes and better players both took advantage of those changes and pushed them even further.

I mentioned the hash marks and outlawing bump and run because they happened over 30 years ago. My question is what changes in the last 10 years were made specifically to open the passing game? Yes, rules have been implemented to protect QBs and receivers but those changes weren't 'specifically' implemented to open up the passing game like moving the hash marks and implementing the 5-yard chuck rule. I agree that allowing OLmen to extend their arms helped but that was also longer than 10 years ago.

I believe there is a misconception out there that recent rules changes have opened up the passing game when those changes have been anything but recent.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

no one said the rules were changed to open up the passing game, but rule changes have indirectly opened it

protecting the qb

protecting WR

enforcing PI more strictly

more mini camps

they all add up to a guy like TO having an extra half step. a guy like TO turns that half step into a TD.

Edited by NoSaint

I mentioned the hash marks and outlawing bump and run because they happened over 30 years ago. My question is what changes in the last 10 years were made specifically to open the passing game? Yes, rules have been implemented to protect QBs and receivers but those changes weren't 'specifically' implemented to open up the passing game like moving the hash marks and implementing the 5-yard chuck rule. I agree that allowing OLmen to extend their arms helped but that was also longer than 10 years ago.

I believe there is a misconception out there that recent rules changes have opened up the passing game when those changes have been anything but recent.

GO BILLS!!!

The passing game started to open up with the early rules changes in the late 70s. That's why the pass heavy "West Coast Offense" showed up right afterwards. The most recent changes that have had an impact have been protections on the WR and QB. I agree that they weren't specifically implemented to promote passing, but intimidation and physicality have always been defensive tools. If you can't lay a big hit on a QB or WR, it's much tougher to take them out of their offense. It starts to resemble flag football, which is pretty wide open.

I think one of the major contributing factors to the new pass happy NFL is that the old guard have largely retired. The table may have been set in the 70s with the rule changes but coaches still viewed the passing game with skepticism. It was popular sentiment that running the ball and stopping the run was the way football games were won. Not that the traditional view is wrong, but as that generation fazed out modern coaches began to explore the possibilities of the aerial attack. The Michael Lewis book The Blindside does a great job in explaining the evolution of passing in the NFL. If I recall correctly, Lewis cites that there has been a steady increase each season in the number of pass attempts in the NFL over the last 3 decades. As coaches began to see first hand what an innovative passing game can deliver more were willing to adopt pass first offenses. That gradual increase in passing over the last 25-30 years I think is pretty compelling evidence of a change in attitude.

The rule changes and enforcements certainly aren't doing anything to slow down the passing game.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe they weren't intended to open up the passing game but that's exactly what they have done. Defenders and pass rushers have eased up because of these rules and that has made a big difference in opening up the passing game.

I appreciate the input folks. Lots of good stuff to chew on. I agree that, while the rules to better protect vulnerable QBs and receivers may not have been implemented specifically to open up the passing game, the end result is doing just that. And, even though it's been more than the 10 years I was limiting myself to, the rule change allowing OLmen to extend their arms, as RJ pointed out, can't be overlooked.

GO BILLS!!!

The Biggest one is the 5 yard and automatic first down illegal contact penalty.

PS They keep throwing flags for hits on QBs that IMO shouldnt be illegal. The idea is to protect the QB. Well, why not just let the OL hold more? That would be a much easier, less obvious, and generally more accepted way to "save" the QB and increase scoring. I wouldnt be agaisnt that, but I AM agaisnt teh BS new hitting rules.

I appreciate the input folks. Lots of good stuff to chew on. I agree that, while the rules to better protect vulnerable QBs and receivers may not have been implemented specifically to open up the passing game, the end result is doing just that. And, even though it's been more than the 10 years I was limiting myself to, the rule change allowing OLmen to extend their arms, as RJ pointed out, can't be overlooked.

GO BILLS!!!

This new article in the New Yorker, while primarily about concussions, touches on the shift to passing attacks. It also mentions that in earlier days, a lot of coaches from the high school level on up were military veterans who bought into the three yards and a cloud of dust mindset. That shifted in part because a new breed of coaches thought differently (e.g. Bill Walsh). I inferred that it's changed at the high school level as well.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/01/31/110131fa_fact_mcgrath?currentPage=all

Edited by dave mcbride