Drafting a DT at #3

Hey guys, most of the mock drafts I am seeing have us taking one of the two big defensive tackles at #3. Is it me or would that seem kind of crazy? Isnt DT the only position on the team that we are decent at? We took Troupe in the 2nd last year, and havent really taken the time to develop him yet. Kyle Williams has emerged as a star this year as well. What do you guys think? If we run the 3-4 a lot next year would it make sense to try and play KW at defensive end? I know they are only mocks, but this is really confusing me. If I had it my way, I would draft the franchise QB once and for all, but I must say it wouldnt be a Bills draft without a bit of shock involed

Hey guys, most of the mock drafts I am seeing have us taking one of the two big defensive tackles at #3. Is it me or would that seem kind of crazy? Isnt DT the only position on the team that we are decent at? We took Troupe in the 2nd last year, and havent really taken the time to develop him yet. Kyle Williams has emerged as a star this year as well. What do you guys think? If we run the 3-4 a lot next year would it make sense to try and play KW at defensive end? I know they are only mocks, but this is really confusing me. If I had it my way, I would draft the franchise QB once and for all, but I must say it wouldnt be a Bills draft without a bit of shock involed

We would be drafting a DT to play 3-4 DE and play in a 4-3 flex front as well. Kyle Williams in the current NT and Troup is his backup and will get increased playing time. We really don't have anyone that can help control the edges in the run game. Carrington could possibly play one of those positions but even if he were to develop they would still need another player to play the other DE position.

We would essentially be drafted a 3-4 DE not a NT. Even with Kyle Williams and the prospects of Troup and Carrington our D-line needs a lot of help.

Have to STOP THE RUN!!!

I don't know how you can conclude that being one of the worst run defenses in the league as "decent".

It all starts up front. With the exception of Kyle Williams, we were run on at will. The defensive line causes disruption/ occupies blockers. When this works, the LB's are freed to make plays. When the defensive front is not very good, you get run on at will.

Troupe may improve, and Carrington seemed to get better as well.

Time will tell, but hopefully we land a monster DT who will come in and terrify the pantie wearing Brady and help us stuff the run.

No real franchise QBs in this draft. The DTs would be ends for us except Bowers who we should avoid at all costs. Dareus is the real deal and would a huge upgrade on our line.

Our Dream line looks like this:

DE Kyle Williams

NT Paul Soliai (FA)

DE Marcell Dareus :thumbsup:

Williams isnt a DE and is not suited for that position. And why do you move the one guy on D who had any impact last year? ?????

From what Gailey says, and the hiring of Wanny suggests, the Bills will not be running just the 3-4. So another DT is not so far-fetched.

PTR

Gailey has never really said that.

Nix just said :"We can't start over every year. You can not do that. We're a 3-4. We're scouting for a 3-4. And if we wind up with people we need to play in a four-man front some, we will. Now I think that's really what everybody [in a 3-4 scheme] does. But you gotta have a goal that this is what you're trying to get to defensively. That hasn't changed."http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article323639.ece

So they will run some 4 man fronts on occasion like every 3-4 D does.

Agree. We drafted Troupe and Carrington last year. Nix said yesterday we are drafting for the 3-4. How many DTs do you need in a 3-4?

So, unless Fairley is there at 3, we go elsewhere. Too bad no LB is worth drafting this high, because that's what we really need.

Hopefully, we take a QB in the first and ;inebackers in 2 through 4.

No real franchise QBs in this draft. The DTs would be ends for us except Bowers who we should avoid at all costs. Dareus is the real deal and would a huge upgrade on our line.

DE Kyle Williams

NT Paul Soliai (FA)

That is what I am saying. I like this alot. KW is a stud but he is not a meat eater. We need a Big guy like Soliai to just stand up two guys at a time, kinda like Ted use to do for us in the 3-4, and put KW on the end to use that motor of his to get after people. I would be happy if Soliai is the only FA we sign..

That is what I am saying. I like this alot. KW is a stud but he is not a meat eater. We need a Big guy like Soliai to just stand up two guys at a time, kinda like Ted use to do for us in the 3-4, and put KW on the end to use that motor of his to get after people. I would be happy if Soliai is the only FA we sign..

According to Buddy we're 3-4 Defense. From what I read I believe we're gonna be looking at LB and probably improving that position via Draft and FA. Now that being said. We'll take the best available player according to them no matter the position. So I could see us going for a Big Defensive lineman like Dareus at 3 if they deem him best player at that pick on the board.

DE Kyle Williams

NT Paul Soliai (FA)

AH HA SOMEBODY LISTENS IN CLASS! :worthy:

Williams isnt a DE and is not suited for that position. And why do you move the one guy on D who had any impact last year? ?????

take a look at ryan pickett in green bay and ngata in balt...350 lb monsters playing def end. kw can play def end and will prob move back and forth depending on the scheme

Except there isn't a franchise QB anywhere in this draft.

I read somewhere that Marcel Dareus could play the Nose in the 4-3 or the DE in the 3-4. I feel,after thinking and reading about the draft,

that Dareus is the best choice at this time. I guess it could change as time goes on and we get closer too the draft.I guess at this time we will have too trust Nix and crew to do what is right for our team.

DE Kyle Williams

NT Paul Soliai (FA)

Excellent! Williams and Soliai next to each other would be awesome. Darius....might be great.

I read somewhere that Marcel Dareus could play the Nose in the 4-3 or the DE in the 3-4. I feel,after thinking and reading about the draft,

that Dareus is the best choice at this time. I guess it could change as time goes on and we get closer too the draft.I guess at this time we will have too trust Nix and crew to do what is right for our team.

I love Dareus too & I think he is the pick at #3. I would love it if we could trade down a few spots, get an extra 2nd rounder & pick up Quinn from UNC. Noone is talking about him but I read that if he would of went out for the draft last year he was a top 5 prospect. I know he has not played all year & charachter issues may come into play but I loved watching him the few times I've seen him play. I would be interested in hearing from someone who follows UNC football or possibly a guy like Ramius(who knows the ACC) what they think of him.

Edited by Gordio