Big Ben: 35 'Passer' Rating

K-9

I've harped on it for years around here and when the opportunity arises to make the point again, I just have mention it. Hey, we're all committed to our causes.

Ben Roethlisberger had a 'passer' rating of 35 for the game yesterday. 35. Putrid by any standard. Made Joe Dufek look like Montana.

But what a job he did 'quarterbacking' his team.

There's always been a huge difference between being a passer and being a quarterback. I just hope we can all appreciate the difference more often.

GO BILLS!!!

I've harped on it for years around here and when the opportunity arises to make the point again, I just have mention it. Hey, we're all committed to our causes.

Ben Roethlisberger had a 'passer' rating of 35 for the game yesterday. 35. Putrid by any standard. Made Joe Dufek look like Montana.

There's always been a huge difference between being a passer and being a quarterback. I just hope we can all appreciate the difference more often.

GO BILLS!!!

Define 'quarterbacking' . I choose to disagree with your assertion that Big Ben did a good job. Yes, he converted a critical third down to seal the game but he was not very good throughout the game. It was the Steelers D and Mendenhall's running that won them the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Well said. It's been a long running complaint among Steelers fans that Ben generally stinks it up in the first 3 quarters of most big games. But somehow, he turns it on in certain situations, like crucial 3rd downs, or late in the 4th. It's a shame that there isn't a statistic that measures the IMPACT of throws QB's make.

Define 'quarterbacking' . I choose to disagree with your assertion that Big Ben did a good job. Yes, he converted a critical third down to seal the game but he was not very good throughout the game. It was the Steelers D and Mendenhall's running that won them the game.

managed the game and made big passes when he needed to.

Ben won, but it would be very hard to give him too much credit for this game. His offense scored 17 points in the game. Beyond that, in the second half, he completed three passes, was sacked twice, fumbled twice, gave up a safety, and was intercepted. It's great that he won the game, but I'm not convinced Ryan Fitzpatrick would have done any worse.

Never said BR won the game. I don't disagree that it was Mendenhall and the D. There's no doubt about it.

I merely make the point that there's more to the QB position than passing the ball. A lot more. And BR demonstrated that yesterday. That's all. If all you saw him do was make one critical third down conversion to seal the game, then there is no point in me defining 'quarterbacking.'

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

QB ratings are the dumbest statistic ever invented. They mean so little that I once saw someone use QB ratings to show that at the same points in their careers, JP Losman or Rob Johnson was a better QB than Jim Kelly. It was so stupid I can't even (or want to) remember which bust QB the poster named when comparing him to the Bills QB with a bust (in Canton).

BTW, the most meaningless interception I've ever seen was thrown by Roethlisberger. It was the one that traveled a short distance on 4th down & the Jet got to it. If it had hit the ground the Jets would still have had the ball in virtually the same spot.

It's junk like that, along with intercepted Hail Marys that help make QB ratings ridiculous. The best one is if it's 1st & goal at the 1 after a 79 yard drive, one QB hands it off & the RB runs it in & one QB fakes the handoff & passes it to the TE for a TD, the QB who passed it gets the higher rating. Sorry, as far as the TEAM goes, same result: TOUCHDOWN! The QB with a RB with a nose for the endzone QB-A may be tons better than the QB without one, who has a great TE, QB-B. So when QB-A's team keeps running it in on 1st & goal and QB-B keeps passing in the same spot, PRESTO-QB-B is the better QB in the ratings. There are so many other gametime events that make QB ratings & QB rating comparisons completely worthless.

As I've said before, you have to watch the game and not rely on stats. The evidence that what happens on the field doesn't translate well to a stat sheet is I've heard of plenty of players talk about reviewing films with the coaches, I've never heard one say "Coach handed out the stat sheet in the meeting and we reviewed it in order to improve what we've been doing on Sunday."

Stats, be it QB rating or any other QB "measurement" all suck and don't tell the story of the QB's value or lack of value to the team.

Actually, the defense was crapping the bed in the second half (goal line stance aside). I really believe that if Ben didn't convert those first downs to salt the game away that Sanchez would have lead the Jets down the field and won the game at the end. Ben did good enough yesterday but I will agree that Mendenhall helped out a lot.

Like I said in the shoutbox yesterday Ben Roethlisberger is not why the Steelers win. He's not a bad quarterback by any stretch of the imagination, but he's not a great quarterback. It is, however, a great team and a great organization.

I think it's a great team and great organization AND he is a great quarterback. You get no QB rating points for getting first downs and keeping the drives alive and running when you need to run and making the necessary plays for your team to win. Ben has been doing that since he was a rookie. IMO, he's the best in the league at it, including much better passers in Manning and Brady. He's easily in the top 5 QBs in the league, and while I think Brady and Manning, probably Brees, and Rodgers (now) are better QBs, I think on a bad team, Rothlisberger would be better than any of them. He's the best playmaker in the league I think, and easily the best clutch playmaker.

Ben won, but it would be very hard to give him too much credit for this game. His offense scored 17 points in the game. Beyond that, in the second half, he completed three passes, was sacked twice, fumbled twice, gave up a safety, and was intercepted. It's great that he won the game, but I'm not convinced Ryan Fitzpatrick would have done any worse.

Maybe, but when the game was on the line I don't trust Fitz to make the key plays to win the game like Ben has made time and time again. During that last drive it didn't matter what his rating was, all that mattered was he completed those two third down plays.

He also seems to pick up a lot of 3rd downs with his legs. I think I counted at least 2 he ran for 1st downs in the jets game. I also remember we had PIT backed-up in a 3rd and 15 or so when we played them and he converted by running. He does seem to have a knack (sp?) for getting the job done.

I think it's a great team and great organization AND he is a great quarterback. You get no QB rating points for getting first downs and keeping the drives alive and running when you need to run and making the necessary plays for your team to win. Ben has been doing that since he was a rookie. IMO, he's the best in the league at it, including much better passers in Manning and Brady. He's easily in the top 5 QBs in the league, and while I think Brady and Manning, probably Brees, and Rodgers (now) are better QBs, I think on a bad team, Rothlisberger would be better than any of them. He's the best playmaker in the league I think, and easily the best clutch playmaker.

I guess we have a different definition of great. I don't consider the fifth best QB in the league great. I consider him good.

Never said BR won the game. I don't disagree that it was Mendenhall and the D. There's no doubt about it.

I merely make the point that there's more to the QB position than passing the ball. A lot more. And BR demonstrated that yesterday. That's all. If all you saw him do was make one critical third down conversion to seal the game, then there is no point in me defining 'quarterbacking.'

GO BILLS!!!

I don't fully disagree with you. I saw him throwing two INTs (albeit only was was entirely on him) and being largely ineffective for most of the second half. My intent was to say that any half way competent QB would have had the same performance while supported by the effective run game and vicious D. There is nothing special about what BR did in this game.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I guess we have a different definition of great. I don't consider the fifth best QB in the league great. I consider him good.

Well, in some time periods #5 is better than #2 in other time periods, so I wouldn't want to make that distinction strictly on number. I think Rothlisberger is a "great" player because of his intangibles, but I could easily see why others may think he is "good" or "very good".

Also, when talking about contemporary players, one can be ranked, say, #5 in the league with four players (perhaps) better than him, but if you were a GM and HAD to pick one for your team, that guy may be a better choice than someone rated ahead of him. Obviously, there are no absolutes in these ratings, but if I were a GM of an expansion team and had to draft players from other teams (without them being protected), I personally would rate Rothlisberger #2 behind Aaron Rogers as the QB I would most want on my team right now. Manning and Brady may be better for the next year or two but Ben will likely play for 8-10 more years. It's arguable who is a better player, Brees or Rothlisberger. I think I would take Big Ben, but they are close in my book.

Actually, the defense was crapping the bed in the second half (goal line stance aside). I really believe that if Ben didn't convert those first downs to salt the game away that Sanchez would have lead the Jets down the field and won the game at the end. Ben did good enough yesterday but I will agree that Mendenhall helped out a lot.

Disagree a lot. I actually thought the last sequence and the postgame reaction was a good example of the media and fans being ridiculous hindsight 2nd guessers who never say a peep when something works. If I can take 40 sec's off the clock and make Sanchize go the length of the field in 75 seconds and no time outs, I love my chances - and I'm usually a big advocate of aggressive playcalling.

There is a huge difference between mounting a drive down 3 TD's when the other team is relaxed (or moving into FG range against the Colts) and punching in a game-winning TD in that situation, against that defense.

Edited by BuffOrange