[possibly] Available QBs: FA and draft

92 members have voted

1. 1. Choose which QBs you'd be interested in seeing the Bills bring in/draft:

• Vince Young
    • Ryan Mallett
    • Cam Newton
    • Blaine Gabbert
    • Alex Smith
    • Matt Moore
    • Bruce Gradkowski
    • Carson Palmer
    • Troy Smith
    • Michael Vick
    • Kevin Kolb
    • Matt Hasselbeck
    • Kerry Collins
    • Jake Locker
    • Donovan McNabb
    • Kyle Orton
    • Matt Leinart
    • write-in 2011 draft pick
    • write-in FA/veteran on his way out
    • stick with Fitz, don't worry about a QB in 2011

The Carson Palmer possibly available thread got me thinking about just whom I'd be comfortable bringing in either as competition or heir apparent to Fitzy.

To be honest, not many of these names thrill me. If you vote for a guy under contract or likely to be re-signed (Kolb or Vick, for example), I ask that you consider what'd have to be given up to get him.

I've taken outright laughable choices like JP, Trent, and Jamarcus out of the mix, but there are still some pretty high-comedy names on this list to choose from. Just interested in gauging the temperature. I've also kept Peyton out of the choices, because it's a foregone conclusion he'll be re-signed.

Mark me as a write-in for a 3rd-4th round guy like Devlin or Kellen Moore, a guy that the FA thinks has smarts but a little more polish than Levi Brown. Mallett in the second round would be, for me, a dream, but a low-probability one. Newton I would grudgingly accept only if he passes Gailey's rigorous examination. If he's picked because Ralph wants some excitement, despite opposition in the draft room, we're doomed.

The Carson Palmer possibly available thread got me thinking about just whom I'd be comfortable bringing in either as competition or heir apparent to Fitzy.

To be honest, not many of these names thrill me. If you vote for a guy under contract or likely to be re-signed (Kolb or Vick, for example), I ask that you consider what'd have to be given up to get him.

I've taken outright laughable choices like JP, Trent, and Jamarcus out of the mix, but there are still some pretty high-comedy names on this list to choose from. Just interested in gauging the temperature. I've also kept Peyton out of the choices, because it's a foregone conclusion he'll be re-signed.

Mark me as a write-in for a 3rd-4th round guy like Devlin or Kellen Moore, a guy that the FA thinks has smarts but a little more polish than Levi Brown. Mallett in the second round would be, for me, a dream, but a low-probability one. Newton I would grudgingly accept only if he passes Gailey's rigorous examination. If he's picked because Ralph wants some excitement, despite opposition in the draft room, we're doomed.

I would be for drafting a late-round or bringing in talented UDFA QB. Let them compete with Brown for position of "developmental prospect".

I see our immediate need as a proven veteran backup who can get the job done. In that role, I'm most interested in Seneca Wallace, Marc Bulger, maybe Matt Moore if convinced that his shoulder's OK. Tarvaris Jackson and Troy Smith intrigue me, but seem on again/off again. If Miami were silly enough to let Pennington go, grab him if we can, I don't see it.

Marc Bulger is only 33. He had very good stats when the Rams still had a team around him (like an OL), suffered as the team declined.

He got the crap smacked out of him every year in Mad Martz pass happy offense - sacked 30, 40, almost 50 times a year and it wore him down IMO. It's not that he stands like a statue.

Now he's had a year to rest and recupe, which proved Rams castoff Warner's fountain of Youth. He's been on playoff contenders and crappy teams so he ought to understand what it takes to be the former. Even with all the crappy years he's got >62% completion and lifetime QB rating of 84.4 which is better than Fitz. He would be a quality backup and hopefully veteran leadership if Baltimore can't re-sign him and who knows, maybe a mentor for Fitzy to help him take the next step. Well, could that be role trouble, if he's backing up his former #3?

Seneca Wallace intrigues me. He's had very good stats coming in off the bench on teams with suspect OL (Seasnakes, Browns). QB rating of 88.5, 2% INT and 63.4% completion in 4 games this year. Browns have McCoy for the future and Delhomme as the more experienced veteran mentor, will they re-sign Wallace? What's he like as a teammate?

I would be for drafting a late-round or bringing in talented UDFA QB. Let them compete with Brown for position of "developmental prospect".

I see our immediate need as a proven veteran backup who can get the job done. In that role, I'm most interested in Seneca Wallace, Marc Bulger, maybe Matt Moore if convinced that his shoulder's OK. Tarvaris Jackson and Troy Smith intrigue me, but seem on again/off again. If Miami were silly enough to let Pennington go, grab him if we can, I don't see it.

Marc Bulger is only 33. He had very good stats when the Rams still had a team around him (like an OL), suffered as the team declined.

He got the crap smacked out of him every year in Mad Martz pass happy offense - sacked 30, 40, almost 50 times a year and it wore him down IMO. It's not that he stands like a statue.

Now he's had a year to rest and recupe, which proved Rams castoff Warner's fountain of Youth. He's been on playoff contenders and crappy teams so he ought to understand what it takes to be the former. Even with all the crappy years he's got >62% completion and lifetime QB rating of 84.4 which is better than Fitz. He would be a quality backup and hopefully veteran leadership if Baltimore can't re-sign him and who knows, maybe a mentor for Fitzy to help him take the next step. Well, could that be role trouble, if he's backing up his former #3?

Seneca Wallace intrigues me. He's had very good stats coming in off the bench on teams with suspect OL (Seasnakes, Browns). QB rating of 88.5, 2% INT and 63.4% completion in 4 games this year. Browns have McCoy for the future and Delhomme as the more experienced veteran mentor, will they re-sign Wallace? What's he like as a teammate?

Good post. I actually thought about putting Bulger on the list, and you've got some good points. I don't think he was ever anywhere close to Warner, but he has had a better career than Fitz. I think, though, that given the time it would take for him to click in our offense, and given the state of the OL, it's not worth putting a vet who is that close to the end h

Pennington's arm (which was never any great shakes) has got to be so shot right now that I don't think that's a possibility or a scenario worth examining. Six years ago, sure. But now? Meh.

Seneca's ability kind of intrigues me, too, but as with Troy Smith, it seems like these guys would have caught on with a starting job at some point given the opportunities they've had (both have been in situations of long-term starter injury, or no clear-cut #1).

Aside from Newton, to which I attribute some of his "shiny newness," Kolb's got the most votes here so far (obviously many more could weigh in).

To those of you who favor him, why? And what makes him not Rob Johnson part II? No disrespect intended, just interested because what I've seen of him hasn't impressed me.

Blaine could be a franchise QB looked good in some games but need to see more film, I think a trade back could be a good idea.

Mallett has the skill but could be Geoff George or Bledsoe who was a good QB he just got real stiff towards the end, take em in the second if he is there.

Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick play in the Senior bowl this week and have potential, would be the only late rounders worth considering.

Bringing in a good backup should be a priority as Brohm just doesn't have it. Bruce Gradkowski, Alex smith and Kerry Collins would be a viable options.

Good post. I actually thought about putting Bulger on the list, and you've got some good points. I don't think he was ever anywhere close to Warner, but he has had a better career than Fitz. I think, though, that given the time it would take for him to click in our offense, and given the state of the OL, it's not worth putting a vet who is that close to the end h

Pennington's arm (which was never any great shakes) has got to be so shot right now that I don't think that's a possibility or a scenario worth examining. Six years ago, sure. But now? Meh.

Seneca's ability kind of intrigues me, too, but as with Troy Smith, it seems like these guys would have caught on with a starting job at some point given the opportunities they've had (both have been in situations of long-term starter injury, or no clear-cut #1).

Thanks, Run.

To be clear, thinking of these guys only as vets who might serve as reliable, quality backups.

I dunno about Pennington's arm. 2 years ago it still looked serviceable. Remember we're talking "backup"

In StL, folks were convinced Bulger was "Better than Warner" for several years. He had QB ratings in the '90s and ~63% completion. In the end I agree, Warner has proven himself. That could be an argument against - would Bulger be looking for his chance to out-Warner Warner again?

Seneca doesn't "fit the profile" for an NFL QB. He's a little squirt and played WR for Seattle for several years as I recall. It's intriguing to think if Chan could come up with some innovative plays with him?

You are right about the "how long would it take them to learn the offense?" question. That's something hard for outsiders to assess.

There are so many needs but I do think we would benefit from a quality veteran backup.

Heh. If Chicago doesn't do right by him maybe we could take Hanie.

Blaine could be a franchise QB looked good in some games but need to see more film, I think a trade back could be a good idea.

Mallett has the skill but could be Geoff George or Bledsoe who was a good QB he just got real stiff towards the end, take em in the second if he is there.

Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick play in the Senior bowl this week and have potential, would be the only late rounders worth considering.

Bringing in a good backup should be a priority as Brohm just doesn't have it. Bruce Gradkowski, Alex smith and Kerry Collins would be a viable options.

Tell me more about Bruce Gradkowski, Barbarian.

Kerry Collins is exactly the sort of guy I have in mind but with Vince Young out the door betting Tenn hangs on to him.

Bulger is better and more consistent if he were available - I'm guessing Baltimore wants to keep him but....

I would rather have Troy Smith than Alex Smith from what I've seen. Gotta say Alex Smith doesn't fit what I think we need. He's the same draft class as Fitz - can't see a proud guy being happy to back up a 7th round guy from the draft he was 1st overall. I thought his game wasn't great when he came as "the man". I'd like to see a proven veteran as backup.

I want Caleb Hanie.

Would you trade your avatar for him? :devil:

Seriously, know what you mean. He has balls, head, and arm.

I didnt' see the stick with Fitz until after I voted, but I think Gradkowski offers a solid backup QB for us.

Bruce did very well at Toledo and knows where to put the ball for completions.

Edited by jboyst62

Draft: Locker (2nd rd or later), Mallett (2nd rd or later), Gabbert (2nd rd or later), Ponder (2nd rd or later: I added him to your list)

FA: McNabb

What's your thinking on McNabb?

His lifetime stats aren't great and he threw 15 INTS to 14 TD this last season

I don't think Mallett and Gabbert last to the 2nd round but I could be mistaken

Wow, what a crappy list. (Vick isn't going to be a FA so you can take him off).

Fix the front 7 and get another OT or two, worry about QB a year from now.

I know he is 99.9% likely to re-sign with the Eagles (unless he has already - I've seen no source on this). But anything can happen in negotiations, the man is broke, and if the Eagles try to hedge their bets given that they have Kolb in the fold, who knows.

I didn't select him given the fact that many steps would need to take place for it to happen.

I agree, it's a pretty bad list, and there will be other QB options out there in 2012 that won't be worse.

What's your thinking on McNabb?

His lifetime stats aren't great and he threw 15 INTS to 14 TD this last season

I don't think Mallett and Gabbert last to the 2nd round but I could be mistaken

McNabb seems like a good fit in Chan's offense with his mobility. Last season was a fit with the Skins. Maybe a change of scenery with a lot of up and coming talent on offense will do him wonders.

Also, I don't think those QB's get to the 2nd round (besides Ponder). I just wouldn't use anything higher than our 2nd on any of them. Ponder may be available at the top of the 3rd, however.

I don't see any currently available free agents or rookies (or anyone else in the list including Palmer) as being upgrades over Fitzy. With that said, if there's a rookie out there who Nix and Chan think can become a quality starter, I wouldn't be opposed to them pulling the trigger. I just hope they're not doing it to sell tickets, as I think we have a greater need on Defense.

After watching Jay Cutler today and how he was not willing to go back into the game because he hurt his knee, (He didn't know what play,) and then watching his body language after that on the sideline, I was really shocked that he is an NFL QB. That was your biggest game as a pro and you lay an egg in the first half and then don't even fight hard to get back into the game? That was too bad. His body language on the sideline was sickening after that, like he were a slug. That all being said, I would rather have a guy like Fitz, who is tough, and empties the tank for his team, then some pre-madona QB with baggage, and ego, or another wait and see draft pick bedhind center that we could dig up in the offseason. Let's build the lines, and if anything, get some backup for next year.

Sorry for the rand, but man, Cutler was so soft today it made me ill.

After watching Jay Cutler today and how he was not willing to go back into the game because he hurt his knee, (He didn't know what play,) and then watching his body language after that on the sideline, I was really shocked that he is an NFL QB. That was your biggest game as a pro and you lay an egg in the first half and then don't even fight hard to get back into the game? That was too bad. His body language on the sideline was sickening after that, like he were a slug. That all being said, I would rather have a guy like Fitz, who is tough, and empties the tank for his team, then some pre-madona QB with baggage, and ego, or another wait and see draft pick bedhind center that we could dig up in the offseason. Let's build the lines, and if anything, get some backup for next year.

Sorry for the rand, but man, Cutler was so soft today it made me ill.

But, according to him, he's a better QB than Elway.

McNabb seems like a good fit in Chan's offense with his mobility. Last season was a fit with the Skins. Maybe a change of scenery with a lot of up and coming talent on offense will do him wonders.

What I'm concerned about is McNabb fit poorly with the Skins 'cuz he had trouble learning a new system.

If that's the case, another new system + backup role + McNabb = FAIL

If we're picking up a veteran backup, he has to be a fast study and comfortable with the role