Serious question: do you tip the cable guy?

truth on hold

So I recently had my cable service extended to internet and phone. Time Warner's "triple play." Took the guy about 30 minutes to install it. Before he left he repeatedly asked "is there anything else?" Even though I had answered "no" several times. I think he may have been looking for a tip. He didn't get one. My general policy for people that come to my place is tip food and furniture delivery guys, and not tip cable guy, plumber and electrician.

What's your policy and was I wrong not to tip the cable guy? He's always been a gray area to me.

:unsure:

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I just had FIOS installed and tipped the guy. I tip everyone, but this guy in particular had to run the cable line completely across my living room as the setup i wanted required having the TV at the opposite end of the cable outlet. When he was done, you couldn't see a piece of cable at all (he hid them in the baseboards). Went above and beyond, and I gave him $20 because the work he did was WELL worth $20 vs the time and hassle that would have taken me. Had he not done that, I would have still given him $5. I tip everyone, probably to a fault.

We had directv out when we moved into our house and the guy was a lazy installer. He wouldn't put the line where we wanted it because he said it was a "wet" wall. My opinion was that he didn't want to do it.

Fast forward a year and I call directv again. Had another installer come out. I showed him where I wanted the line to go, and in about an hour he had the line where I wanted it. He even helped move our tv and cabinet to the new spot. I tipped him $50. He didn't charge us for going out there either.

Was the sex any good? Did you at least offer a smoke? :D

In response to your question - I would say - "it depends." If standard install with little effort - that's what he is paid to do. If you were requesting "above and beyond" then give him extra accordingly.

Not since Comcast cable guy stole my credit card and purchased thousands of dollars worth of crap between Philly and Virginia. He got caught after he attempted to withdraw thousands of dollars at an ATM machine and I was shown pictures of him trying to do so. Recognized him immediately as the cable guy.

Not since Comcast cable guy stole my credit card and purchased thousands of dollars worth of crap between Philly and Virginia. He got caught after he attempted to withdraw thousands of dollars at an ATM machine and I was shown pictures of him trying to do so. Recognized him immediately as the cable guy.

I would argue you tipped pretty well. :blink:

I seriously hate having people I don't know come into my house.

Ex-cons frequently become carpet installers or similar types of work because they can't get hired to work at a regular business that does background checks. Home improvement businesses are tempting because they can work "under the table" and get the added bonus of getting into peoples home to scope things out and see what homes are easy marks.

• 3 weeks later...

What about the locksmith? I needed one the other day and this guy was working it hard for a tip. Basically, when they're that aggressive, I have a tendency not to tip. Which I didn't in this case. What is precedent here?

I would never want to piss off the locksmith. Dude just gave you access to your own home.

What about the locksmith? I needed one the other day and this guy was working it hard for a tip. Basically, when they're that aggressive, I have a tendency not to tip. Which I didn't in this case. What is precedent here?

How about the people who give you advice on a message board? Should you tip them?

So I recently had my cable service extended to internet and phone. Time Warner's "triple play." Took the guy about 30 minutes to install it. Before he left he repeatedly asked "is there anything else?" Even though I had answered "no" several times. I think he may have been looking for a tip. He didn't get one. My general policy for people that come to my place is tip food and furniture delivery guys, and not tip cable guy, plumber and electrician.

What's your policy and was I wrong not to tip the cable guy? He's always been a gray area to me.

:unsure:

if they are jerks, no. if they are cool, sure. $50 for installing your cable. or course not.

sometimes they go the extra mile. you can tell. use your judgement too i guess.

Yes.

Only if I accept their advice.

dont kill everyone.

you have to take this advice!

i'll send you my address later. i'll take large bills only.

In the Past i tipped both directv and comcast. Comcast guy hooked me up with free premium channels, directv guy used to be a circuit city TV installer, i tipped him 50$ he mounted my tv on the wall and put wires through my wall. the guy asking if you need anything else was a hint of hey ask me if i can do u any favors...If you're going to tup, do it in the beginning and ask the guy to take care of you.

only people doing things that arent necessarily their job gets a tip......otherwise, you are paid to do a job already, why do I have to pay you a second time?

I have two jobs, one I keep society safe........the other I keep kids safe and in their homes.....I get no tips.....but the pride of my work. They should as well I suppose.