What do YOU think are the bills greatest needs in order of Importance

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will continue to run a hybrid. So looking at the draft and us having the third pick, perhaps we should grab the most versatile dlineman. Imo that's Dareus. We also need a massive two gap nt for our 34 front. But no matter who we draft, they have to be big and strong.

KW is a beast, but he is not a true 34 nt like wilfork, hampton, and the miami guy. We use KW on passing downs perhaps.

Now some may bring up Ratliff and his size, but he is not a two gapper either. He plays his part extremely well. But he has good linebackers that do their job and make it all come together.

So with that dt, lb, rt, te, cb, lb, lb,lb lb......get my drift?

In order, we have the priority no. 1, defense vs. the run, no. 2 defense vs. pass and no. 3 we have to run in the offense, we have f. jackson and cj spiller, we need line that can block......

So my draft will be like this.....

With the 3rd. overall pick, the bills select DE D. BOWERS of Clemson, Getting (arguably) the best player in the entire draft at #3 overall? Yes, please. The Tigers superstar is considered a superb run-stuffer and could play either DT or DE, his more natural position. He also provides scheme flexibility as it is believed he could excel at DE in either a 4-3 or 3-4, good news for the Bills. While he possesses natural talent and skills, he does need some refining. He plays a bit high and is inconsistent, two things that can be corrected. (alternate selection marcel dareus DE from bama)

With the 34 overall pick the bills select ILB MARTEZ WILSON of ILLINOIS, Wilson has prototypical size, above average speed/quickness and can play inside or out in the bills 3-4 defence as he only moved inside in his junior season at Illinois. (alternate selection greg jones ilb)

With this 2 picks automatically we are better vs. the run and vs the pass. Bowers can rush the qb, and wilson can tackle whoever rb that try to run at us......

With the the third round pick I have to go defense again, maybe some OLB, maybe JEREMY BEAL from oklahoma or NT JARREL POWE this guy is huge, I´ll take the BPA in defense......

So our 2 main problems maybe are done, with adding a DE (probably the best in this draft), ILB (the best ilb of this class), OLB (this has to be one of the best of this OLB class) or NT (this is maybe the best NT of this class)

With the 4 round I´ll draft ofensive line with the first i´ll select Lee Ziemba a huge RT and maybe our starter for the future, and with the other 4 round I´ll select john moffit G, maybe this can be our starter of near future too.....

Do you imagine a offensive line with BELL, LEVITRE, WOOD, MOFFIT AND ZIEMBA, i like it..... Now we can run more.... CJ spiller finally looks like a star.....

With the fifth round, i´ll select Pat devlin QB, maybe has a brighter future than brohm, this guy has to be cut, he´s just too bad, to be on the team, and who knows, anyone remember brady or montana later rounds qb, im not comparing devlin obviously with these qbs but how can we win the lottery if we don´t buy the tickets.....

With the six and seven gimme the BPA in whatever position, just THE BPA, S OR CB, maybe marecic FB from STANFORD OR THE OTHER FB HAVILY, I THINK.....

So to me with this draft we improve the defense and offense

Now the Free agency period we could spend some money on 2 good players, like owen daniels TE, who is recovering from an injury, maybe Gaither the OT from ravens, who´s still recovering from an injury, and we could be on a win win situation, they have no control with their injuries, so they cant be greedy, because no one will overpay for their services (injuries) and dream come true with DAVID HARRIS ILB JETS, man gimme one interception on brady like he did in the playoffs, and pay this man whatever he wants........

Principally, it is very different whether we are drafting for a 3-4 or a 4-3, and it confuses me when our Coach talks of running a bit of both. Some teams can do that, but I believe they do it successfully because they have a mammoth who can occupy two O-linemen in the center; a true NT who can play alongside another DT in a 4-3, if need be. I thought Troupe was going to be that guy for us, but he didn't end up that good - although he can still grow.

So, I say if we don't have the big NT and we're still running the 3-4, then we need excellent ILB's who can stuff the run. We also need another OLB - which, I believe, will leave Kelsay as a back-up? A what? Six million a year backup? Or - our braintrust might say that his salary is too high to merit the bench, and then leave him out there on account of it. Let's hope not.

I'd like to know what our LB's would if we did run a 4-3.

I question the Dareus pick if we're running a 3-4, too, because he would be similar to Williams, and would leave us still lacking the extra large NT...

As for our D-line being pretty solid when healthy as it is now - I agree, especially if Carrington comes along faster. But, we do need more pressure on the opposition's QB - and if we could get a 3-4 end who could (like Bruce of old) penetrate on his own, then it would do us wonders.

It depends on who leaves via F.A. in our secondary as to whether or not we need more there, too. It's almost sickening to think we might draft Peterson when it seems like we've been drafting CB's for a decade. I, personally, would rather us sure up our front seven - I think with the correct combination of players we could have an excellent front seven, one of the best in the league, and young, with maybe only 3 additions - but, they'd have to be the right combination.

Offense is easier this year. RT is necessary, but, I'd like to see Clabo from Atlanta - he looked perfect for us. A TE would be nice, in the mold of Finnegan in Green Bay.

Here's my overall:

I'd trade down a little and with the top 3 picks make it OLB, DT, ILB

Then, in the 3rd - 4th rounds I'd grab a QB, TE, and another LB

After that it'd be BPA

I think we can address the O-line in F.A., and probably get a LB there, too. So, once again, if our Front Office is planning on getting, say, Harris, Woodley, and Clabo in F.A., then our draft needs would change, and getting Peterson at #3 would make a lot of sense.

I believe, if our Front Office is serious about getting as good as they can get as soon as they can get there, then they have the opportunity this offseason to add a lot of the missing pieces.

The Bills' needs, in order of importance, are:

PLAYMAKING FOOTBALL PLAYERS

Like I always say: playmaker is ALWAYS a position of need.

GO BILLS!!!

+1

Great football players is what we need. Not patching the weakest links in the (fifty)Three Stooges. I love how LT and QB were our two weaknesses, and then this year they aren't even though we didn't draft anybody. And we drafted two DL in rounds 2 and 3 and had another emerge as a pro-bowl player, yet DL is our big need right now. Don't think you can really know the needs in April, especially with the CBA likely postponing free agent signings, and don't think a draft pick can fill a need faster than another is created. Get the best football player you can each pick, repeat that for a number of years, and then look at your roster and compare it to the 2010 team.

Any talented, big front seven defender is a must need, and we need more than one. On offense, we need a back up quarterback (obviously), whether that's a rookie or just a guy with some potential. A tight End is not a need but its close to it and it would complement Gailey's scheme very well. But front seven D is by far the most important.

Staying with 34 defense multiple look front means playing a lot of over/under

our biggest needs

round 1 RDE the next BRUCE would be great but i would settle for another Wiley

round 2 DT we need a 35Olb space eater (move Kyle Williams to LE to small for nose his play reminds me of Phil Hansen)

round 3 RT

round 4a ILB we don't have any

round 4B ILB

round 5 OLB depth behind moats merriman

round 6 CB

round 7 SS

The reason I put TE is so low is because I'm not sure TE is a big part of Coach Gailey's offensive mind set. When we did throw to TEs this year they seemed to catch the ball OK. We went a lot more with 5 reciever sets than 2 TE sets. Were they just not open or not good enough to even try to work into the game plan? Not sure.

Gailey has been an offensive coordinator for 3 NFL teams and has been Head Coach (and therefore Offensive Coordinator) for two other teams.

It would be hard to characterize Gailey's offenses. He actually seemed in the past to like a power running game but to say that is the main feature of his offenses would be a gross oversimplification.

As far as I can tell, the one thing you could say about Gailey's offenses is that he is very flexible and resourceful. He figures out who his best weapons are and tries to feed them the ball by whatever means necessary (this is why it was so shocking to me that he was unable to get more production out of Lee Evans, but I digress).

Anyways, what you've touched on with regard to Gailey and tight ends (and I'm not criticizing you) is something I've seen written here many, many times…without anything in the way of statistical documentation.

Just for the record, in Gailey's one full season as the Chiefs offensive coordinator, Tony Gonzales had 96 catches for 1058 yards and 10 TDs. It was Gonzales' 2nd best offensive season of his 14 year career.

The reason the Bills under Gailey have not utiilized the tight end much is because they don't have any good tight ends.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

1A.Nose Tackle- Kyle Williams is a tremendous player, but he'll never be the kind of player that keeps lb's clean. He's great 1 gap penetrating dt. Great at chasing down plays and pushing the pocket. We need a space eater who forces rb's to have to bounce runs outside. Troupe may be a quality player down the line, but you never don't add talent becase there's an unknown.

1B-Defensive End- Stroud looks like an old floppy fish out of water. He's too easily neutralized. In his prime he was a great player. He's not meant to be a defensive end in a 3-4 alignment, his age has caught up to him, and too rarely flashes the ability that once made him great, and is just an overpaid name even if you move him inside in 4-3 looks. Dwan Edwards has to stay healthy, when he does he's a quality albeit not great 3-4 end but he's more than servicable the best of the bunch he's a keeper. Spencer Johnson is a quality backup he should never be a starter doesn't have the ability for it. Carrington is a complete unknown didn't see many snaps so its a ? mark. As a whole the dends had a lot of trouble setting the edge in the run game and were never a factor in the pass game.

1C- Poz is a servicable starter. He should be re-signed. Again not because he's a great player, but because losing him would make this even worse. Andra Davis when healthy is an above average 2 down thumper. Easily exploited in coverage, and yeah has problems staying healthy. As a pure MLB he's probably the best one we have. The rest of the group that the tend to move inside/out adoyle/torbor they're nothing more than filler

1D- OLBS- Arthur Moats flashed some ability towards the end of the year. His play recognition should improve with another training camp/preseason. I tried to pay attention to him. There's some nice dumervil like ability in the pass rush department. If he can hit that level tremendous. I never really saw him being blown out of plays, but a lot of times when teams ran towards his side he would over persue, and put himself out of position. With more time he could be a player. Merriman- All depends whether or not he can bounce back from injury. He says the Bills doctors finally recognized what was wrong with his achillies. Again he has to stay healthy. It's a boom or bust chance. If it booms we're set at olb. If it busts look forward to another really bad year from the lb core. Chris Kelsay has no business playing lb. That horse has been beaten to death, no need to continue flog it.

I think we can all safely say that we have the worst front 7 in football. All these people with the exception of Kyle Williams are replaceable, but that's not gonna happen, so you work around the few spare parts you do have and hope for the best. I dont know how they're gonna fix the front 7 in one offseason, but front-back it needs to be improved.

CB- I'm actually a little concerned cb will be our 1st pick. Mckelvin hasn't lived up to his draft status, and teams routinely pick on him. Mcgee has aged fast. Our best cover corner drayton florence is a free agent who will probably go elsewhere. Reggie Corner/youboty etc etc offer quality depth but for a position that not too long ago was a strength is fast becoming a big weakness. Now don't get me wrong I'm not in favor of drafting corners at the expense of improving the front 7, but I can see the logic behind it if the Bills go in that direction

RT- This pretty much goes without saying. It was the weakpart of the year offensively. I'd like to see Wood moved to C which would leave us with a need at RG. I think with a year of being able to participate in offseason conditioning Bell/Wood will be much improved players next season. We need to get better on our inside running game, we just don't have the experience/players to be able to dictate at the LOS

TE- I give up this fight. We all know it, the Bills never do it. So I don't expect it. It goes without saying the modern day importance of the Tight End position in the NFL. Just look at all 4 teams in the conference championship. One guy I would love to see is Martellus Bennett, who I wanted to draft back when we drafted Hardy. Kevin Boss another name that gets thrown out here a lot is unlikely. I know the Giants have Travis beckum as their #2 te, but can't see them parting with Boss who's a great all around player. Bennett has explosive Antonio Gates receiving ability and the potential to develop into a very good blocker.

QB- I like Fitz what he did this year was admirable. He played his heart out on an otherwise weak offensive unit, backed by a poor run game, no rt, and often with injured/no name wr's and no TE. I'm not sold on him being the face of the franchise for the next 6-8 years, but I'll ride with him for another season. I just don't see anyone in this draft who's gonna offer an upgrade. As free agency is concerned, although I think Kevin Kolb will be a good starter, the price the Eagles want may be too high and too much of a risk for the overall development of the team at this time. A developmental guy I'd like to see brought in though- Dennis Dixon.

RB- Yeah I'll say it. Spiller still has to prove it, and while I love Fred Jackson. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The guy flat out reminds me of Curtis Martin, in his run game, rec ability,picking up the blitz and his demeanor. However rb's hit a wall and Jackson is at that age when it tends to happen. The thing working in his favor is he hasn't taken that NFL beating that rb's who do hit the wall at 30 tend to have taken. I think he has another 2 years in him, adding a rb to the group would not be a bad thing. We lack a real rushing attack anyway, and unless Spiller proves it we'll be sitting here next year wondering if we'll waste another high pick on a rb.

There's also positions like safety which will become a need should the Bills continue their horrible trend of letting servicable players walk and creating unnecessary holes. Hopefully this doesn't happen. Same goes for Florence at corner and Poz at MLB. Should be an interesting offseason. :beer:

Edited by Stealth

I like your order of needs the most... the key word in the whole post is LONG TERM people!!!!! Gaily has already gone on countless radio shows and said that the he and Nix are in it for the long haul not for the short term! As much as I would love a great DT that would help us short term this team is still 2-3 years away from being contenders. In the time it takes to develop a young QB they will be putting the rest of the pieces together. WE SUCKED FOR 11 YEARS NOW AND WE'VE ONLY DRAFTED INSIDE THE TOP 5 ONCE! WE WILL HAVE OUR PICK OF 4 TALENTED QBS, AND IF NIX TRUELY BELIEVES THAT GUY IS OUR FRANCHISE QB I SAY GO FOR IT!!!

I agree with the sentiment here - that if a great QB is available then the Bills should draft him. Unfortunately, I don't think a great QB option is

available in this draft. I am not sure that any of them will even turn out to be decent starters. I am not a qualified NFL scout, so maybe I

am wrong, but I'd stay away from the QBs until after the first few rounds - again, not because I don't think we need one, but rather because

I don't think there is a good one to be had, so improve other positions.

Our need does matter if we want to go with a 3-4 or a 4-3. In either case, a big stud of a DT is needed. I personally think that Williams would be better served as a D-end than a 3-4 nose tackle. A NT in a 3-4 needs to occupy 2 blockers in order to give the LB a chance on making a play. Williams is superb at slipping blockers and penetrating to make plays. I'd like to de him a D-End. he would be an upgrade from Stroud.

After DT, my take is best LB available and I don't care inside or outside, bur prefer outside. After that -- RT.

No need to take a TE as I don't think our offense is going to use one other than to block.

yeap!!!!

The Bills' needs, in order of importance, are:

PLAYMAKING FOOTBALL PLAYERS

Like I always say: playmaker is ALWAYS a position of need.

GO BILLS!!!

This, alone!

Get Seymour by hook, crook or sign & trade. He's a great pass rusher, regardless of the scheme and most likely has a fire to whoop on NE twice a year. Get a big RB with a nasty streak.

Get the Best Playmaking Players (BPP's?) available to us!

LOL...you're delusional.

And our number 27 ranking in sacks is also Kelsay and Torbors fault? :rolleyes:

Uhm - yes. In the 3-4 defense, you're supposed to get your sacks from the OLB's. They are the most important players in the system, and we had arguably the worst players in the NFL filling those two spots among teams playing the 3-4. No surprise at all our edfense was horrible.

Our need does matter if we want to go with a 3-4 or a 4-3. In either case, a big stud of a DT is needed. I personally think that Williams would be better served as a D-end than a 3-4 nose tackle. A NT in a 3-4 needs to occupy 2 blockers in order to give the LB a chance on making a play. Williams is superb at slipping blockers and penetrating to make plays. I'd like to de him a D-End. he would be an upgrade from Stroud.

Because you've decided after his rookie season that last year's second rounder (Troup) is a bust?

I'm betting Gailey and Nix don't agree.

LOL...you're delusional.

And our number 27 ranking in sacks is also Kelsay and Torbors fault? :rolleyes:

Yes, actually. In a 3-4, virtually ALL the playmaking is made by the LB corps. This isn't like a 4-3 which demands production from our D-Line. A LOT of responsibility is placed on our OLB's in a 3-4, namely because they not only have to be able to rush the passer (a la Demarcus Ware / James Harrison), but also stop the run, and cover tight ends. The reason people call the 3-4 such a "flexible" scheme is because of the versatility of the LB's, of which we have MAYBE 1 right now (in Moats).

I also don't appreciate the name-calling, as I have given you nothing but sound reasoning... something which has been lacking on this board as of late.

My thoughts are this if we move back to the 4-3 (which im assuming we are)

DT

OLB With great pass rushing ability.

CB-Sorry but mcgee cant stay healthy florence is getting up there and unfortunately mckelvin sucks

RT-Hopefully in some way addressed internally or in free agency

TE-I wasnt going to put this because bills fans dont even know what it means to have a good t.e but it really could make a big difference for us.

QB-I dont like Fitzpatrick I just think we have a lot more needs and we can get away with it for one more year.

WR-Hopefully we can do this internally but idk if there is a clear number 2 on our roster assuming and hopefully if Lee is dealt.

Let me know what you think I think its Dareus or Fairly at 3. I wont be furious with Patrick Peterson either as he is a game changer.

You forgot to put at the top of the list. An owner who will spend some money !!!!!!!

My thoughts are this if we move back to the 4-3 (which im assuming we are)

DT

OLB With great pass rushing ability.

CB-Sorry but mcgee cant stay healthy florence is getting up there and unfortunately mckelvin sucks

RT-Hopefully in some way addressed internally or in free agency

TE-I wasnt going to put this because bills fans dont even know what it means to have a good t.e but it really could make a big difference for us.

QB-I dont like Fitzpatrick I just think we have a lot more needs and we can get away with it for one more year.

WR-Hopefully we can do this internally but idk if there is a clear number 2 on our roster assuming and hopefully if Lee is dealt.

Let me know what you think I think its Dareus or Fairly at 3. I wont be furious with Patrick Peterson either as he is a game changer.

I agree with your assessment. I think we go DL no matter what system they decide to play. I am assuming it will be a mix of fronts again. I think we need some help on the inside at linebacker as well in order to help with stopping the run. The rest, I am on board with. If we got those positions in that order, it would be a good draft.