Cutler

JohnC

That Reilly piece was a hatchet job if I've ever seen one. Someone needs to ask him to touch the doll where Cutler touched him, because that guy is seriously butthurt.

He is a Denver guy, and obviously sided with that joke McDaniels.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be the first to throw it out there... Don't shoot me...

Chef Jim = Jay Cutler without the physical talent.

:o

:lol:

That Reilly piece was a hatchet job if I've ever seen one. Someone needs to ask him to touch the doll where Cutler touched him, because that guy is seriously butthurt.

He is a Denver guy, and obviously sided with that joke McDaniels.

:ph34r: :ph34r:

:worthy: :worthy: :w00t: :w00t:

Odds are this is what makes Cutler a great/good player. A lot of times with the money that is on the line in the NFL we like to think that players in the NFL eat, drink, and breath football. And a lot do but for some football is a job, they dedicate themselves to it, have the physical tools, and give it their full attention, but its not something they define themselves as.

He clocks in and clocks out he tries to get away from the game as much as he can. That's not a bad thing for some players, think about this the guy had a nasty divorce from Denver and in his first year with the Bears throws a ton of INT's. But then he bounces back and gets them to a NFC title game and possibly more. Its possibly his reclusive nature that allowed him to put the previous year behind him.

Some people just aren't good with the media and the NFL forcing them to interact with the media might not work out so well for a guy like Cutler. Not saying this guy might not be a jerk but just because there are some stories out there and he snubs the media doesn't prove that he is.

I think it's a good philosophy to have in any job. When you're there you do your best but when you leave, the job stays there and doesn't go home with you. It's very healthy NOT to define yourself by your job. People with that attitude have fewer problems if they lose their jobs & handle retirement a lot better. Considering the fact that Cutler will not be a football player at 40, his attitude is much better than the guy who retires from the NFL in his 30s & his life spirals out of control once he's out of the league.

McDaniels and the Broncos sure showed Cutler. I'm sure Jay would much rather play on a team with the #2 overall pick instead of leading his team to the NFC Championship.

Perhaps Cutler simply wants to go out there, do his job, and then go home. Not everyone likes the spotlight. His teammates support him, and i'll take their opinion over any media members' opinion.

Agreed. Different strokes. One of the most memorable examples in all of sport is the Yankees of the early 60s. Based on personality, all of the NY media and most of the fanbase loved the Mick and actually hated Roger Maris (incredibly, the sentiment continues to this day - hes not in the HoF). They desperately wanted Mantle to beat the HR record instead of Maris. Unlike Mantle, who was from Oklahoma, Maris was simply character-wise a product of his mid-western roots and really just didn't fit in the Big Apple (Cutler is from Indiana).

Asked why he was not more like the Mick, Maris once snapped "I was born surley". Actually this was not true. He was an upfront guy and family man who had great respect for the game he played. He just wasn't comfortable having crowds of people, most of whom were annoying jerks, in his face all the time, and like Cutler he was unapolegetic about it. Way to turn people off. In another thread, people have posted SI pics featuring the Bills. One of the most beautiful images in all of sport is the one of Roger nailing #61. A picture perfect swing - power and grace.

Like Cutler, Maris did his charity work in unassuming, unselfish fashion. He was not just looking for tax deductions. When he was diagnosed with cancer, his immediate reaction was to organize a pro bona golf tournament to raise funds for cancer research and development.

The point is that these private types are often not bad people. It is not hard to understand either why they are not fan or media favourites.

As for Mallett, if he is there in round 2 (which I would doubt) we should jump all over him. He needs to work on his shortcomings, but he may well be able to do so with good coaching and proper handling. He needs to improve his footwork and pocket presence. If he can learn to buy a little time for himself moving in and around the pocket and develop into more than a one read guy, he has the potential to be downright awesome. Hes just a kid. If he puts on 15-20lbs he will weigh in at around 260. Maybe a better comparison than Drew Bledsoe would be Big Ben, who is not exactly Michael Vick either. I can't remember seeing an arm like his on any college QB. None of this is to take anything away from Newton, who is also a project and a top prospect.

That piece by Reilly was idiotic.

What got Cutler traded from Denver had little to do with the media's opinion of him. It had everything to do with his boorish and unprofessional behavior. No one doubts that Cutler has talent. That doesn't mean that he isn't an obnoxious jerk.

I lived in Denver during the Cutler years through a few months ago. Cutler being traded from Denver had NOTHING to do with any "boorish and unprofessional behavior." I disagree that he displayed any of that; it was clear that McDaniels wanted his own QB and his own team - he wanted nothing from the Shanny regime. I whole heartedly supported Cutler through that whole debacle, and stand by my position. Bronco fans will buy anything that their organization feeds them, so I was not surprised when I was suddenly the only one in Denver on Cutler's side. As far as his persona, he just doesn't try to put on a false face for endorsements. More power to him.