Per PFT ... Wanny in the running for the Browns DC

Dat Dude

He must have been too big of a name for Buffalo!

Why the hell can"t we just hire qualified guys when we bring them in ? He would have definitly helped with our D ! :censored::bag:

Would rather have Mangini for DC. Knows how to beat the Pats. Sadly, even he would probably reject coming to Buffalo.

Only way he goes to Cleveland is to snipe the head coach position when and if Shurmur fails.

Shurmur is a complete unknown. Gailey is not. The Bills are the best option if Wannstedt's desire is to be a head coach in the NFL again. Turn the Bills around, beat the Jets and/or Patriots, and you are all of a sudden "hot" name once again.

The Browns have even less talent on defense than the Bills.

All that being said, while I'd love Wannstedt as a hire, I'm intrigued by Mangini as our resident Jets/Patriots killer.

I have been bothered by this before, and am so again - I hate it when we bring people in who we're interested in, and then they leave the building and are soon talking to other clubs and then they've signed somewhere else. If we want them, we've got to start being able to get them. Otherwise, what's the sense of having an NFL franchise? I'm sick of it seeming like we have a damn handicap. And, the worst part is, I feel like it all comes back to us, and not these prospective players/coaches. These guys actually come in and give us a chance. It seems like we bring them in here, and then we offer them some pathetic amount of money or in Wanny's case - who knows? But, it'll stink if Nix and Gailey knew they wanted him, knew they needed to upgrade the defense, and brought him in here with the hopes that he'd take a lowball offer.

Granted - I don't know why it happens to us so much. I just think that until it changes we'll remain the team that isn't taken seriously and that isn't serious about contending.

I have been bothered by this before, and am so again - I hate it when we bring people in who we're interested in, and then they leave the building and are soon talking to other clubs and then they've signed somewhere else. If we want them, we've got to start being able to get them. Otherwise, what's the sense of having an NFL franchise? I'm sick of it seeming like we have a damn handicap. And, the worst part is, I feel like it all comes back to us, and not these prospective players/coaches. These guys actually come in and give us a chance. It seems like we bring them in here, and then we offer them some pathetic amount of money or in Wanny's case - who knows? But, it'll stink if Nix and Gailey knew they wanted him, knew they needed to upgrade the defense, and brought him in here with the hopes that he'd take a lowball offer.

Granted - I don't know why it happens to us so much. I just think that until it changes we'll remain the team that isn't taken seriously and that isn't serious about contending.

Some of this bothers me as well, but obviously before Chan or Buddy picked up the phone to call Wannstedt (and before Russ got on the plane to meet with Shanahan and Cowher), they must have, at a minimum, received some sort of OK from Ralph. In other words, before you initiate these high-dollar personnel actions, you have to have some indication that the big boss will sign the big check you intend to offer. And for those of you who think these fishing expeditions are just window dressing to placate the fan base, explain to me again how failed fishing expeditions sell tickets?

I suspect that in a lot of these cases, the prospective coach is offered a nice salary, but the target remains unconvinced that a similar commitment exists to aggressively improve the roster within the term of their contract. After all, for a franchise, the pricetag for the roster is much larger than the pricetag for the coaching. Bottom line, I'm not sure that the Bills are able to convincingly sell a prospective coach on the idea that signing with the Bills will allow him to walk away with a bigger name and better reputation than he came in with.

Why does everyone think that just because they bring in a guy to talk that it means they are intersted and only lose out cause they aren't offering enough money?

Maybe they spoke with him about a position and it wasn't what Wandstadt wanted? Maybe he wants to check out all of his options instead of just taking the first offer. Maybe the Bills just brought him in to talk and didn't think he was a good fit after hearing him out?

It sure does give the impression the Bills represent the 'Rooney Rule' of requiring coaching candidates to visit under privilaged organizations before signing where they really want to coach...

Re: Mangini knowing how to beat the Pats*: Everyone here knows how. Rush & pass rush. Their fabulous season was derailed because they couldn't get out to a masive 1st half lead -as they did in 10 of their wins. Why? 'Cuz Brady was being bounced around the field and their WR's were being hammered everytime they came close to the ball. Be in the game at halftime vs. thePats* and you're in the whole game. In the second half, Brady -like Peyton the week earlier- sat bundled on the sideline while the Jets controlled the ball and the clock.

To paraphrase Levy: Beating New England* is simple, but it isn't easy.

Why does everyone think that just because they bring in a guy to talk that it means they are intersted and only lose out cause they aren't offering enough money?

Maybe they spoke with him about a position and it wasn't what Wandstadt wanted? Maybe he wants to check out all of his options instead of just taking the first offer. Maybe the Bills just brought him in to talk and didn't think he was a good fit after hearing him out?

Let's explorr that theory a bit. Usually, if an employer is recruiting you for a position, they contact you (or your designate). And, aside from asking you how you are and how are the kids, they usually provide some summary of what they have in mind for your talents and skill set. But, there has got to be some dialogue and some interest by both parties. The recruiter also knows your background, and your salary history. So, before traveling to the employer for the interview it's reasonable to expect that there is some measure of interest, or motive, to go ahead with the interview. Mind you, the guy you're interviewing has been a head coach somewhere for nearly 15 years, and prior to that a pretty good DC. The employer has no vacancy at either of the two positions the recruit has core experience in. To me, it just doesn't make sense. Was the Bills FO stupid enough to believe that Wanny was going to talk them about a role on the team?

My take is that it was more about having a conversation with a knowledgeable guy more as a consultant about this hybrid defense bullschitt that Gailey is tossing around... or maybe even some discussion about Pitt or other players coming out in the draft. But, then I thought the FO took it to the next level for max impact. If the Bills FO would have left it at, yes, Wanny was here and we had a good discussion and then end of discussion. But, by going one step further and clearly announcing that he met with the coaching staff (even if he did, it wasn't something that necessarily had to be publicly announced), The Bills, I believe, intentionally planted a seed in the minds of the media and fans. The message... we're really serious about buckling down and addressing the problems of the defense. What a great way to get fans off your ass and provide them some meat to chew on than by parading a "big name" around OBD. They fans will be thinking about that for several weeks and they will also believe that OBD will be having discussions with more big names in the near future.

Sadly, I've been a Bills fan for a long time. Long enough to know Raplh Wilson's MO. He doesn't bring big names in. He's done it only twice in over 50 years... once at HC with Chuck Knox and once with Wade Phillips at DC. When he hires a big name, he just goes out and does it. There's no media dog and pony show, no public display like in Wanny's case. When it does become public knowledge that a big name has walked through OBD it's done for only one reason... publicity value. That's all this Wanny crap was.

Edited by Dr. Trooth