Bears vs. Seattle

1) The run by Lynch in the wildcard game was great, but did anybody see the 58 TD pass Cutler threw on this cold, windy, snowy day? It was picture perfect, as well as a ball can be thrown.

2) How about 3 receptions for 113 yards and a TD from Olsen at TE? Can a Bills fan even imagine something this good?

3) The Bears ran for 176 yards and held Seattle to 34.

4) T.O.P.? NFL.com lists it as 37:11 to 22:50 in favor of the Bears.

In summary, the Bears did everything a team is supposed to do in terms of using home field advantage. Cutler used his Mallett style arm in the elements. They ran and stopped the run and utilized the tight end. They did everything the Bills SHOULD be able to do.

As Bills fans, we argue as to whether or not to keep Whitner, or if CJ Spiller was a good selection at #9. It is clear to me that the Bills must build a team which is suited to the environment in which they play. Maybe they DID start doing so after round 1 in 2010, but Levy/Jauron did untold damage to this franchise, and their mentality must be purged in a hurry.

We have the #3, let's just hope they don't screw up yet another prime selection.

Great post Bill. How many times have we (the fans) have said "this is the style of football the Bills should play", and the next season the same old same old? For the life of me, why don't we use/get a TE in our system. No, I do not think Nelson is a TE.

It sometimes feel like your pounding your head against the wall. The Bills FO in the past have been very stubborn in the approach to the system and game calling on Sundays. It is OK to use other teams model for success Ralph. I just want to win.

1) The run by Lynch in the wildcard game was great, but did anybody see the 58 TD pass Cutler threw on this cold, windy, snowy day? It was picture perfect, as well as a ball can be thrown.

2) How about 3 receptions for 113 yards and a TD from Olsen at TE? Can a Bills fan even imagine something this good?

In summary, the Bears did everything a team is supposed to do in terms of using home field advantage. Cutler used his Mallett style arm in the elements. They ran and stopped the run and utilized the tight end. They did everything the Bills SHOULD be able to do.

As Bills fans, we argue as to whether or not to keep Whitner, or if CJ Spiller was a good selection at #9. It is clear to me that the Bills must build a team which is suited to the environment in which they play. Maybe they DID start doing so after round 1 in 2010, but Levy/Jauron did untold damage to this franchise, and their mentality must be purged in a hurry.

We have the #3, let's just hope they don't screw up yet another prime selection.

You bring up a great point, Bill. IMO, the Seasnakes were way out of their element ("what is this white cr**?") and it showed.

I'm pulling for the Packers. I think Aaron Rodgers is arguably the best QB in the game today.

The skill that helped GB pluck the Falcons - elusiveness in the pocket - is going to be hard to demonstrate on a snowy field, and GB did not show much ability to run.

It could be ugly.

Come on, Bill. You're smarter than that. Remember the Pats-Bears game in the snow earlier this year, when the Pats won 36-7? Brady dominated the Bears, throwing for 151 yards to Branch and 115 to Welker. Hernandez and Gronkowski combined for 62 yards. Cutler and his Mallett-like arm had no TDs and two picks. Olsen had one catch for 6 yards.

Point is, a win is great any way you can get.

How do you think the Denver fans feel after watching the qb they drafted and developed prosper in another location due to a foolish trade by a young HC (McDaniels) who also acted as the GM. His short-term chaotic stint did untold damage to a franchise that now has to work its way back from the devastation.

The Bronco owner made a disasterous decision in giving McDaniel such unlimited authority. How would you rate that catastrophic decision to the Wilson decision to hire Levy/Jauron to restore stability to his crumbling franchise?

Edited by JohnC

Come on, Bill. You're smarter than that. Remember the Pats-Bears game in the snow earlier this year, when the Pats won 36-7? Brady dominated the Bears, throwing for 151 yards to Branch and 115 to Welker. Hernandez and Gronkowski combined for 62 yards. Cutler and his Mallett-like arm had no TDs and two picks. Olsen had one catch for 6 yards.

Point is, a win is great any way you can get.

Do you disagree with his point of no TE on our team or in our playbook?

Edited by westside

Do you disagree with his point of no TE on our team or in our playbook?

I disagree with the point that you need a TE to win. Yes, Olsen had 113 yards, but the TEs on the other three winning teams this weekend, two of which were in cold weather, combined for 68 yards.

I disagree with cherry-picking stats to make your argument.

I disagree with the point that you need a TE to win. Yes, Olsen had 113 yards, but the TEs on the other three winning teams this weekend, two of which were in cold weather, combined for 68 yards.

The Bills tight ends are second rate, and usually are trying to block (which they are not good at) due to our second rate offensive line. As for the NE TEs which you brought up in another post, every TE on that team is better than our best TE.

My point was clear, or so I thought. Since 2006, our first picks of drafts were used on a small safety, a headcase running back, a decent cornerback, a DE who is 40 pounds under weight, and a situational scatback. What do we have to show for it? Loss after loss and a 4th round pick.

Go anywhere you want with numbers, but the Bears put on a clinic yesterday of what the Bills should do as a cold weather team, and it is frustrating.

Jmo.

The Bills need guys who run good routes, get open over the middle, and hold on the ball reliably - whether they're WRs or TEs doesn't really concern me much. The problem is - hopefully was - that the team kept going after small, speedy guys who could only catch JP Losman's bombs.

No question, the Bills have drafted poorly. But it's not like Erik Flowers or Mike Williams worked out much better. The problems with this team did not start in 2006, so if that's your point, then look a little deeper.

Did you want me to start in the early nineties, when Polian left and Levy gained influence? :oops::)

I started in 2006 because that was the most recent era in which our team was built upon players that Badolbilz does well to characterize as a dime a dozen. I take it a step further and say Levy/Jauron built the team upon small players who are not well suited to play in Buffalo. And that yesterday, the Bears showed us how it is done. I don't think they are perfect; they will probably lose to GB for all we know.

But they had it right yesterday for a cold weather franchise.

Beast mode baby, 4 carries for 2 yards, after watching his first carry from the LOS, and even in spite of them

(Hawks) being in pass/catch up mode most of the afternoon, we witnessed the real Marshawn, two steps to the left,

a couple to the right, back a few, a small burst ahead for a 1 yard loss. He is not a very good running back,

but he can sure dance, maybe a stint on DWTS is is his future, and btw, that run the week before, wasn't all that

impressive, he should have been tackled for his typical 2 yard loss.

Did you want me to start in the early nineties, when Polian left and Levy gained influence? :oops::)

I started in 2006 because that was the most recent era in which our team was built upon players that Badolbilz does well to characterize as a dime a dozen. I take it a step further and say Levy/Jauron built the team upon small players who are not well suited to play in Buffalo. And that yesterday, the Bears showed us how it is done. I don't think they are perfect; they will probably lose to GB for all we know.

But they had it right yesterday for a cold weather franchise.

Bill wise man. Bill speak truth. Smart people listen to Bill. :thumbsup:

(This is me with a cold, sounding like Tonto.)

Saying we need a TE, one that is considered in the Bills playbook is cherry picking? I disagree. When was the last time this team had a DECENT TE? Having a TE opens up the running game, helps out the WR's. We have NO TE right now, so teams don't even have to game plan around it. Why make it easier for your opponent by ignoring a vital part of the game?

Saying we need a TE, one that is considered in the Bills playbook is cherry picking? I disagree. When was the last time this team had a DECENT TE? Having a TE opens up the running game, helps out the WR's. We have NO TE right now, so teams don't even have to game plan around it. Why make it easier for your opponent by ignoring a vital part of the game?

I don't think you know what cherry picking means. Let me help you out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_%28fallacy%29

Highlighting Olsen while ignoring the tight ends on the other winning teams to demonstrate that you need a good tight end to win is cherry picking.

Of course, it would be better to have a good tight end than a bad one. That is true of every position in every sport known to man. Do you disagree?

How do you think the Denver fans feel after watching the qb they drafted and developed prosper in another location due to a foolish trade by a young HC (McDaniels) who also acted as the GM. His short-term chaotic stint did untold damage to a franchise that now has to work its way back from the devastation.

The Bronco owner made a disasterous decision in giving McDaniel such unlimited authority. How would you rate that catastrophic decision to the Wilson decision to hire Levy/Jauron to restore stability to his crumbling franchise?

Hard to compare catastrophes. I think Levy/Jauron set us back way farther, if only because they had the reins for longer. There are still guys in Denver who know how to win.

They're not starting lower or with less, despite the draft position.

Denver fans have a legitimate beef IMO. If I were a Denver fan, watching the QB we traded away go to the championship game w/ a good shot at the Superbowl...I'd be livid.

I don't think you know what cherry picking means. Let me help you out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking_%28fallacy%29

Highlighting Olsen while ignoring the tight ends on the other winning teams to demonstrate that you need a good tight end to win is cherry picking.

Of course, it would be better to have a good tight end than a bad one. That is true of every position in every sport known to man. Do you disagree?

I don't know why you are trying to pick my words apart. Maybe I did a bad job of expressing myself.

The last credible TE we had was Pete Metz. He was perfect for this team and playing in the elements, which was mostly what my OP was about. Imo the Bills all but disregard this position, and a player such as UFA Kevin Boss would help this team an untold amount. Seeing Cutler use Olsen this way was like a kick in the head to Bills fans.

And yes, it would help to have better players at every position. But, did I really need to say this?

And yes, it would help to have better players at every position. But, did I really need to say this?

The problem with the Bills is that they don't add talent, they simply replace talent. Over the past ten years the Bills have taken three RBs with their first round picks. The Bills drafted McKelvin with a high first round pick because they knew that Greer was going to enter his contract year the next year and they were not going to give him the deserved raise. Again, this penny pinching franchise is replacing talent that was already on the roster instead of bolstering the roster with additional players for other positions.

That is not the worst of their drafting woes. As everyone knows this third rate front office frequently strikes out with their high round picks. Those are supposed to be where you find your high impact players. While the Bills draft players such as Whitner and Maybin with their first round picks the Ravens take Ngata and Oher after us. James Hardy, a second round selection, never made a meaningful contribution. How many times is this ugly scenario going to continue to play out?

What I want more than anything for the Bills to do in a more consistent basis is make their draft picks count, especially their early round picks. If they do that, no matter what position they draft for, eventually they are going to have a critical mass of good players that will allow this ramshackle franchise to compete.