Bears vs. Seattle

What I want more than anything for the Bills to do in a more consistent basis is make their draft picks count, especially their early round picks. If they do that, no matter what position they draft for, eventually they are going to have a critical mass of good players that will allow this ramshackle franchise to compete.

I agree with the above but wish to add something.

QBs, LTs, and pass rushing DEs go early almost every season because these players are extremely hard to get. If you stray from these positions with early picks that's OK, but a team had better not miss.

For instance, Mangold went at 29 as I recall. He was drafted so late because typically, OCs do not merit such early choices. Would he have been worth the #8 instead of Whitner? Certainly! But again, taking Mangold early would have been considered a "reach."

The same would apply to Branden Albert. He went 15th in 2008 and was listed as a Guard. That is early to take a Guard but they clicked, as did Seattle with Hutchinson at 17 in 2001.

My point is that if you are going to grab rbs and safeties with early picks, you better not miss because the qbs, lts and des will probably be long gone. And, you can get rbs and safeties in later rounds.

So, it would appear that not only do the Bills miss, they do things ass backwards as well. All we can do is hope for a change. :thumbsup:

I don't know why you are trying to pick my words apart. Maybe I did a bad job of expressing myself.

The last credible TE we had was Pete Metz. He was perfect for this team and playing in the elements, which was mostly what my OP was about. Imo the Bills all but disregard this position, and a player such as UFA Kevin Boss would help this team an untold amount. Seeing Cutler use Olsen this way was like a kick in the head to Bills fans.

And yes, it would help to have better players at every position. But, did I really need to say this?

If all you're saying is that it would be great to sign Kevin Boss, I'm on board with that.

I disagree with just about everything else. Greg Olsen is nothing like Metz. Metz, himself, wasn't terribly important (In 1990 and 1991, he combined for 114 yards). Riemersma was a better tight end than Metz. Olsen is a pass-catching TE with great speed who ran right past a safety for his touchdown yesterday. That has nothing to do with the elements.

Riemersma was a better tight end than Metz. Olsen is a pass-catching TE with great speed who ran right past a safety for his touchdown yesterday. That has nothing to do with the elements.

I guess this is where we strongly disagree. Riemersma got open, but he was a possession type receiver with bad hands. He dropped pass after pass and was not a good blocker. Kelly once said that Metz blocked like an offensive tackle, and I believe him.

I guess this is where we strongly disagree. Riemersma got open, but he was a possession type receiver with bad hands. He dropped pass after pass and was not a good blocker. Kelly once said that Metz blocked like an offensive tackle, and I believe him.

OK, my issue is comparing Metz and Olsen, who I think are very different types of tight ends. I think the team would be much better with a blocking tight end who can release and find the soft spots underneath, like Boss. Of the tight ends who played yesterday, Miller would be the most similar, more so than Olsen.

1) The run by Lynch in the wildcard game was great, but did anybody see the 58 TD pass Cutler threw on this cold, windy, snowy day? It was picture perfect, as well as a ball can be thrown.

2) How about 3 receptions for 113 yards and a TD from Olsen at TE? Can a Bills fan even imagine something this good?

3) The Bears ran for 176 yards and held Seattle to 34.

4) T.O.P.? NFL.com lists it as 37:11 to 22:50 in favor of the Bears.

In summary, the Bears did everything a team is supposed to do in terms of using home field advantage. Cutler used his Mallett style arm in the elements. They ran and stopped the run and utilized the tight end. They did everything the Bills SHOULD be able to do.

As Bills fans, we argue as to whether or not to keep Whitner, or if CJ Spiller was a good selection at #9. It is clear to me that the Bills must build a team which is suited to the environment in which they play. Maybe they DID start doing so after round 1 in 2010, but Levy/Jauron did untold damage to this franchise, and their mentality must be purged in a hurry.

We have the #3, let's just hope they don't screw up yet another prime selection.

This is why you don't want a 7-9 team in the playoffs :huh:

OK, my issue is comparing Metz and Olsen, who I think are very different types of tight ends. I think the team would be much better with a blocking tight end who can release and find the soft spots underneath, like Boss. Of the tight ends who played yesterday, Miller would be the most similar, more so than Olsen.

Olsen is listed as 6'6"/255. I don't watch enough of the Bears to speak with credibility of his prowess at blocking, but I promise to do so and let you know how he looks next week. Cool? :)

I agree with the above but wish to add something.

QBs, LTs, and pass rushing DEs go early almost every season because these players are extremely hard to get. If you stray from these positions with early picks that's OK, but a team had better not miss.

For instance, Mangold went at 29 as I recall. He was drafted so late because typically, OCs do not merit such early choices. Would he have been worth the #8 instead of Whitner? Certainly! But again, taking Mangold early would have been considered a "reach."

The same would apply to Branden Albert. He went 15th in 2008 and was listed as a Guard. That is early to take a Guard but they clicked, as did Seattle with Hutchinson at 17 in 2001.

My point is that if you are going to grab rbs and safeties with early picks, you better not miss because the qbs, lts and des will probably be long gone. And, you can get rbs and safeties in later rounds.

So, it would appear that not only do the Bills miss, they do things ass backwards as well. All we can do is hope for a change. :thumbsup:

In general, you and I are in accord. Giving up picks to move up for Losman set the team back. Doing the same foolish thing for McCargo continued the trend. The Steelers drafted Palamalu, a safety, with their first pick. Without a doubt he is going to be in the HOF. So what do the Bills do with one of their high picks, they draft Whitner, also a safety, who is a little better than an average player, while bypassing Ngata.

Was Wood, a guard, worth a first round pick? I would say yes. But the year he was drafted was a year in which the fools in this hollow organization had an opportunity to almost completely re-shape the OL. Instead of drafting the lightweight Maybin, if we would have drafted LT Oher, add Levitre who was taken in the second round, now you have a credible line that is mostly set for a decade. In that one year when we traded Peters the front office could have rebounded from that trade with an impressive remake of the OL. Opportunities given-opportunities lost.

Edited by JohnC

The Steelers drafted Palamalu, a safety, with their first pick. Without a doubt he is going to be in the HOF. So what do the Bills do with one of their high picks, they draft Whitner, also a safety, who is a little better than an average player, while bypassing Ngata.

That's right John. And Palamalu was a #16 (as compared to Whitner at 8). And, Revis went at #14 (as compared to McKelvin at #11).

Like I said, all we have to cling to is hope!

That's right John. And Palamalu was a #16 (as compared to Whitner at 8). And, Revis went at #14 (as compared to McKelvin at #11).

]Like I said, all we have to cling to is hope!

It is difficult to cling to hope when the owner and his Detroit clique are stomping on your white knuckled fingers! I'm hanging in there but sometimes it is hard. LOL :devil:

Edited by JohnC

1) The run by Lynch in the wildcard game was great, but did anybody see the 58 TD pass Cutler threw on this cold, windy, snowy day? It was picture perfect, as well as a ball can be thrown.

2) How about 3 receptions for 113 yards and a TD from Olsen at TE? Can a Bills fan even imagine something this good?

In summary, the Bears did everything a team is supposed to do in terms of using home field advantage. Cutler used his Mallett style arm in the elements. They ran and stopped the run and utilized the tight end. They did everything the Bills SHOULD be able to do.

As Bills fans, we argue as to whether or not to keep Whitner, or if CJ Spiller was a good selection at #9. It is clear to me that the Bills must build a team which is suited to the environment in which they play. Maybe they DID start doing so after round 1 in 2010, but Levy/Jauron did untold damage to this franchise, and their mentality must be purged in a hurry.

We have the #3, let's just hope they don't screw up yet another prime selection.

Insightful post as usual. I agree that the Bills need to build a team that can win in cold nasty outdoor weather, and they need a team that can compete/win against the Jets and Pats.

We need some big lunkers on the lines . . .

While I do not disagree with your points, I think it is also worth pointing out that:

1) The Bears defense did a good job of throttling Seattle's mediocre offense.

2) Probably the most important part is that the Bears were able to run the ball and Cutler didn't throw an INT, which he is fairly prone to do. He was 15/28 which is decent, but not lights-out by any means. When a team like the Bears can run the ball, win TOP and let the defense do their job, the odds are good. On top of that, Cutler playing error free pretty much seals the deal.