How to Beat Brady in 3 Steps

1. pressure. rattle him; sack him a few times; make him hear footsteps

2. coverage. take away his receivers long enough that the footsteps and clock in his head get loud

3. turnovers. take it away and don't give it up

Note that only 1/2 out of 3 involve offense and none require Marvelboy QB (provided the QB we have doesn't throw to the wrong color)

2 1/2 do require significant upgrades on D

2. coverage. take away his receivers long enough that the footsteps and clock in his head get loud

Note that only 1/2 out of 3 involve offense and none require Marvelboy QB (provided the QB we have doesn't throw to the wrong color)

I think most teams know what they NEED to do to beat the Patriots*, it's actually DOING IT is the tricky part.

1. Having the secondary/lbs flood the short areas of the field. The Pats offense lives and dies off the short passing game. Hell 70% of their pass plays this season where under 15 yeards. They beat your defense with formations allowing their receivers to catch 4 yard passes that turn into 8-10 yard gains. If you have good secondary/lb's to cut this off it forces brady to hold the ball longer.

2. Generating pressure. Not consistently blitzing, but taking your chances. It's best to play man 2 man coverage on ne, and hope your dline can get after brady. Shaun Ellis was huge for the jets today.

3. Run The Football/time posession offense. The best way to beat the pats is to not let Brady on the field.

Too true, Machinegun although listening here one would think that there's just no way

Way

This place turns into a patriots love palace. It's kind of disgusting. Almost nothing gives me more joy than to see that team lose.

I did not see much of the game, infact did not tune in until the 3rd. What won todays game was the ability of the Jets from 4 to work effectively. They did not pressure him as much as they held the line. The matchup worked better for the Jets DL to matchup directly with the Pats OL.

The Pats LB's were free and able to match up to the Pats RB's, TE, and cover Welker. If you have a big enough LB who can pass cover then Welker is out of the game, I forget which team showed this last year. Also, I do not have the stats in front of me, but I promise you the DB's on the Jets were not making many tackles on the running plays, and the LB's were making few, as well. The DL was playing conservative football and playing against the run for what looked like the entire game.

If you look at our D you will find that our LB's are making those plays again the run and cannot protect against Welker and the short yardage passes that the Patriots thrive upon. Our DL was unable to stop the run and there was no chance of a pass rush, this would send 4 to 5 threats downfield to catch. On most Pats plays there are 2 men in the middle, usually crossing, one running a 10+ yard pass, and another running a post or hook. Our DB's are not able to be spread that thin, not because they are not good enough, but because that is a lot of field to cover for just 4 guys.

If you want to know why the Jets won today you have to look at Jets front 4, they are what made the LB's able to play in the game and what always make Revis and the other DB's such a force.

Only one thing needs to be done to beat Brady....don't give out what your defenses are going to be at the line of scrimmage. As long as the players don't yell out what coverages they are going into when they see how the Pats lineup, Brady can't adjust. By the defense knowing where to be and using hand signals, Brady won't know where to go. Have you ever seen him look around in the pocket so much before?

How did you like that intentional grounding to avoid the sack, when he spiked it two yards short of a prone Woodhead. Any other QB and the hankies would have been flying.

He threw away or rushed a number of throws, not to mention how quickly he dove to the ground as soon as anyone laid a hand on him.

You'd think the lessons from the Giants, Ravens and Jets playoff games of the past few years would give the Bills FO some clue about what kinds of players we need if we have any hope of competing with the Pats in the next several years.

I did not see much of the game, infact did not tune in until the 3rd. What won todays game was the ability of the Jets from 4 to work effectively. They did not pressure him as much as they held the line. The matchup worked better for the Jets DL to matchup directly with the Pats OL.

The Pats LB's were free and able to match up to the Pats RB's, TE, and cover Welker. If you have a big enough LB who can pass cover then Welker is out of the game, I forget which team showed this last year. Also, I do not have the stats in front of me, but I promise you the DB's on the Jets were not making many tackles on the running plays, and the LB's were making few, as well. The DL was playing conservative football and playing against the run for what looked like the entire game.

If you look at our D you will find that our LB's are making those plays again the run and cannot protect against Welker and the short yardage passes that the Patriots thrive upon. Our DL was unable to stop the run and there was no chance of a pass rush, this would send 4 to 5 threats downfield to catch. On most Pats plays there are 2 men in the middle, usually crossing, one running a 10+ yard pass, and another running a post or hook. Our DB's are not able to be spread that thin, not because they are not good enough, but because that is a lot of field to cover for just 4 guys.

If you want to know why the Jets won today you have to look at Jets front 4, they are what made the LB's able to play in the game and what always make Revis and the other DB's such a force.

jboys, Jets played a bit different in the 2nd half. In the 1st have they were quite aggressive. Brady was uncharacteristically sacked 3 times, threw an INT, and was run about like a chicken. They didn't blitz as much as they sometimes do, but they pressured hard. They worked hardest on 3rd down, giving Pats only 2 of 7 conversion.

In the 2nd half I agree, they held the line more and relied more on very effective coverage. But Brady was already rattled.

I completely agree that the Jets DL really enabled the win, give credit also to the quality of the Jet's 2ndary.

1. Having the secondary/lbs flood the short areas of the field. The Pats offense lives and dies off the short passing game. Hell 70% of their pass plays this season where under 15 yeards. They beat your defense with formations allowing their receivers to catch 4 yard passes that turn into 8-10 yard gains. If you have good secondary/lb's to cut this off it forces brady to hold the ball longer.

2. Generating pressure. Not consistently blitzing, but taking your chances. It's best to play man 2 man coverage on ne, and hope your dline can get after brady. Shaun Ellis was huge for the jets today.

3. Run The Football/time posession offense. The best way to beat the pats is to not let Brady on the field.

3. may work, but was not part of the Jets menu today. TOP very even in the 1st half, overall Pats had the ball 35 minutes to Jets 25

I couldn't tell from TV what coverage they were playing much of the time, it was tight and effective but also very much helped by a Brady whose timing and accuracy were off -- pressure really does affect that! Brady playing like he had the flu, Boo Hoo, Brady playing like he knew he was gonna get smacked or stripped if he held on too long instead of having time to comb his hair, get a manicure, and phone Jimmy Johns in the backfield.

Only one thing needs to be done to beat Brady....don't give out what your defenses are going to be at the line of scrimmage. As long as the players don't yell out what coverages they are going into when they see how the Pats lineup, Brady can't adjust. By the defense knowing where to be and using hand signals, Brady won't know where to go. Have you ever seen him look around in the pocket so much before?

True , but the Jets secondary played unbelievable today.

He threw away or rushed a number of throws, not to mention how quickly he dove to the ground as soon as anyone laid a hand on him.

You'd think the lessons from the Giants, Ravens and Jets playoff games of the past few years would give the Bills FO some clue about what kinds of players we need if we have any hope of competing with the Pats in the next several years.

THANK YOU!!! I mean, I was thinking the same thing, and have been since the Giants Super Bowl victory. I mean, those very teams you've mentioned have shown the Patriots weakness - and schemes won't mask it; it is Brady's weakness - pressure. So, we've got K. Williams, Carrington is looking good, and Edwards is o.k. We need two more players to have the 3-4 base to build a defense around designed to beat them, and the other teams in our division, as well - I mean, none of our division's teams QB's can function good with that game plan... Miami's NT - if he gets to the open market - proved to be the best one we faced all year. He'd be a great addition. And then Bowers or Fairley, Alden Smith, Ohio State's defensive end is it Heyward? Anyway, get our D-line to the point where we can keep the RB's in check and put some pressure on the QB - like Bruce Smith used to do. Of course, our LB's still need upgrades. We need a very talented ILB, more than an OLB if Merriman is healthy.

If we grabbed Peterson with the 3, we could still get the best ILB with our 2 pick. That would leave the need to pick up some later round D-line help. I think if we can get a very dominant D-lineman at 3 it would be easier to get good secondary players elsewhere than to find the dominant D-linemen.

I'll probably catch all sorts of crap for this but if Peterson is what they say he is, does he look so bad now?

You need a pass rush and pressure to beat Brady, or Manning, or any of gthe best QBs.

You can put the four best CB's in the league in Bills uniforms and with our pathetic pass rush they will have problems.

actually its only one thing, pressure. Every time a team tries it against him he crumbles. For reasons I cannot fathom 90% of teams dont even try to pressure him.

Well, Brady is known to be awesome at reading defenses and beating the blitz. It takes continuous sustained pressure from the front 4 to get to him.