One space After a Period

HopsGuy

I know of a minister who was doing missionary work in Alaska long ago. More recently, someone else I know who was married by said minister tried to get the marriage license from the county she was married in, and the county insisted that they didn't have one on file. So she called the minister and asked him, and he responded "What? You have to send that in to the state?" Turns out the minister did something like 400 weddings in Alaska during his missionary work...basically, all the weddings in one collection of Inuit villages for three years.

So somewhere in Alaska, there's an entire town of Eskimos who've been living in sin for some 30 years or so.

OMG :lol:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of a minister who was doing missionary work in Alaska long ago. More recently, someone else I know who was married by said minister tried to get the marriage license from the county she was married in, and the county insisted that they didn't have one on file. So she called the minister and asked him, and he responded "What? You have to send that in to the state?" Turns out the minister did something like 400 weddings in Alaska during his missionary work...basically, all the weddings in one collection of Inuit villages for three years.

So somewhere in Alaska, there's an entire town of Eskimos who've been living in sin for some 30 years or so.

There are no county's in Alaska. Boroughs yes.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

The iPhone correctly makes two spaces into a single space and period. Just like any publication since Gutenburg.

Two spaces is a rule taught by bad teachers. The same bad teacher who taught you that also said never start a sentence with and. And they were wrong on that too.

This Gutenberg dude must have came along after my college term papers...

couple that with the massive shake up in the astrological world...my life has been nothing but a sham to this point....whats next? drinking really ISN'T good for you????? :wallbash:

Only if you build Chryslers for a living!

;) ;)

My 12 year old son has been brainwashed... I asked him 1 or 2? Being born in 1998, he said 1! :o I gotta teach him to revolt!

Yesitdoessavediskspacebutifthatsyourbasisforjudgementthenusingnospacesandnopunctuationisbyfaryourbestchoice

:w00t:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Yes and no. Each character is 1 byte. So if you have 1,000 sentences in your document, you'll save 999 bytes by using a single space instead of a double space after a period, and that's pretty much undetectable. However things aren't even that cut and dry because of the way things are stored on disk. If you have a 10k file, you're probably using at least 16k on the disk. The reason is that the filesystem doesn't allocate byte for byte what you need, it allocates the space clustered together. 8k (8000 bytes) chunks is usually the smallest you'll see nowadays. So both a 9k and 10k file will both use 16k on disk.

Now aren't you glad you asked? :D

Professional typesetters get paid by the keystroke. Factor in the cost of those redundant en spaces and I'm afraid you come up with more than shrdlu.

The iPhone correctly makes two spaces into a single space and period. Just like any publication since Gutenburg.

Two spaces is a rule taught by bad teachers. The same bad teacher who taught you that also said never start a sentence with and. And they were wrong on that too.

Got a D in HS typing class. Best skills-based class I ever took in HS. However, I dropped the double space when Jobs, Woz and Warnock introduced the era of desktop publishing featuring cut and paste. See publisher's cost saving measure above. By the way, don't ever try to convince a typesetter that there are 72 points per inch. That's the hot metal equivalent of using 3 for pi.

Only in the eyes of dog. Oh, and I bolded the space in the DTP list above that pointedly omits the missing glyph you pine for that I however, don't – as the implied and intended separation of elements in the list is intuitively obvious and should affect a knowing reader less severely than a scratched cornea. I'm also real loose with the commas around the interruptor however as well – as you and Sage no doubt would notice. That's pure sloth on my part, but I do liberally apply em dashes for effect and clarity.

I'm a two space gal. Have been since typing class (on a typewriter)

And Tom - thanks for referencing the "h" rule.

Now, could you deal with the correct use of "out of pocket"? It's been driving me crazy. :wallbash:

Well, I'm not Tom, nor would I attempt to answer for him.

However I offer you this - it's a business slang term such as BUS (business as usual) that connotes the business expenses of business associates that are "on the road" that are not pre-paid by the company, but will be reimbursed by their company. For example, taxi cabs, lunch, dinner with others, hotel fees. If the associate pays for these "out of (their own) pocket", they'll put in an expense report and be reimbursed for them by their company. Hence, they're living "out of pocket", i.e., they're using their own cash/credit for business purposes. This is quite common for people in sales.

The 1-space, 2-space issue is moot with this editor. It removes what it deems to be extra spaces. For example:

This editor removes spaces. (typed with 1 space between each word)

This editor removes spaces. (typed with 2 spaces between each word)

This editor removes spaces. I think I am going to sue someone over it. (typed with 1 space between sentences)

This editor removes spaces. I think I am going to sue someone over it. (typed with 2 spaces between sentences)

The 1-space, 2-space issue is moot with this editor. It removes what it deems to be extra spaces. For example:

This editor removes spaces. (typed with 1 space between each word)

This editor removes spaces. (typed with 2 spaces between each word)

This editor removes spaces. I think I am going to sue someone over it. (typed with 1 space between sentences)

This editor removes spaces. I think I am going to sue someone over it. (typed with 2 spaces between sentences)

Yes it does, which makes it particularly difficult to make lists of items like player's stats.

The only way I've found to do it is through using codes.

YEAR	PLAYER	STAT
2006	PETE	20 TDS
2008	JOE	25 TDS
2009	SAM	32 TDS
2010	HANK	12 TDS

Well, I'm not Tom, nor would I attempt to answer for him.

However I offer you this - it's a business slang term such as BUS (business as usual) that connotes the business expenses of business associates that are "on the road" that are not pre-paid by the company, but will be reimbursed by their company. For example, taxi cabs, lunch, dinner with others, hotel fees. If the associate pays for these "out of (their own) pocket", they'll put in an expense report and be reimbursed for them by their company. Hence, they're living "out of pocket", i.e., they're using their own cash/credit for business purposes. This is quite common for people in sales.

Actually, you hear it all the time now when people are going to be unreachable. That's probably what she is asking. It makes no sense how out of pocket would mean unreachable!

Actually, you hear it all the time now when people are going to be unreachable. That's probably what she is asking. It makes no sense how out of pocket would mean unreachable!

Then, I suppose it's likely a bastardization devolving from "out of the office" taken to the next level by those who think out of the box about having a deliverable for a SWOT analysis and need team synergy for a vertical market. Think of it as business hip hop.

Then, I suppose it's likely a bastardization devolving from "out of the office" taken to the next level by those who think out of the box about having a deliverable for a SWOT analysis and need team synergy for a vertical market. Think of it as business hip hop.

:D

That almost made sense to me. Now I feel dirty.

Maybe it refers to one's cell phone being "out of pocket?"

Yes it does, which makes it particularly difficult to make lists of items like player's stats.

The only way I've found to do it is through using codes.

YEAR	PLAYER	STAT
2006	PETE	20 TDS
2008	JOE	25 TDS
2009	SAM	32 TDS
2010	HANK	12 TDS

Hank sucks! Let's trade him for a 2nd round pick!