Von Miller's potential in the NFL

1billsfan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the term "dominated" is a little mis-used when referring to either Miller or Maybin. Miller has played solidly. But I have yet to find even 1 game where he "dominated" and changed the whole game in favor of A&M.

If anyone knows of one, Im all ears/eyes. But based on his college career, I'd say he has played "pretty well", but not dominated.

Nick Fairley DOMINATED the Championship game.

Patrick Willis used to DOMINATE at Miss

Havent seen that from either of those guys.

He dominated the Oklahoma game this year. (

) go to the link on youtube and watch at 1:15, 2:34, 3:23, 3:40, 4:00, 5:45, 5:55, 7:52 just to name a few. If you catch all the defensive highlights he scared OU so much they tried to run opposite him. That to me is dominating, plus at the end of the game when they ran at him the last time he blew it up, he didn't make the tackle but caused him to change course so his guys can come make a play.

Miller looks good but not outstanding, should be a late first, doesn't look as good as Matthews did in college.

I don't see how you can make this statement "doesn't look as good as Matthews did in college". Matthews played at USC full of defensive talent and played in the same scheme the whole time he was there. Von Miller played in a 4-3 his freshman thru junior year (leading the NCAA in sacks his junior year with 17) his senior year they switched to a 3-4 defense and he was limited with a sprained ankle the first 4 games and really strated playing during the Arknsas game week 5 and he still had 11 sacks this year in 8 complete games. Just to let you know in college Mathews only had 5 total sacks in 4 years... So how could you say Matthews looked better then Miller.

He dominated the Oklahoma game this year. (youtube.com/watch?v=ogiQFfK-n8k) go to the link on youtube and watch at 1:15, 2:34, 3:23, 3:40, 4:00, 5:45, 5:55, 7:52 just to name a few. If you catch all the defensive highlights he scared OU so much they tried to run opposite him. That to me is dominating, plus at the end of the game when they ran at him the last time he blew it up, he didn't make the tackle but caused him to change course so his guys can come make a play.

Thanks for the link and your indepth post on the previous page. Good to hear from someone who has watched him a lot.

Im still not convinced he's #3 overall material, but now Ill be mad when the Pats get him later in the round :thumbsup:

I think the term "dominated" is a little mis-used when referring to either Miller or Maybin. Miller has played solidly. But I have yet to find even 1 game where he "dominated" and changed the whole game in favor of A&M.

If anyone knows of one, Im all ears/eyes. But based on his college career, I'd say he has played "pretty well", but not dominated.

Nick Fairley DOMINATED the Championship game.

Patrick Willis used to DOMINATE at Miss

Havent seen that from either of those guys.

He DOMINATED in the NEBRASKA, OKLAHOMA and TEXAS games in 2010, just to name a few.

He DOMINATED in the NEBRASKA, OKLAHOMA and TEXAS games in 2010, just to name a few.

Unfortunately, he trailed many plays and really was not much of a factor in the LSU game. LSU's QB Jefferson was not really under much pressure and had plenty of room to run because Miller had already blown by the pocket. He is not the answer to our pass rush problem and run stopper problem. We need a big man on the interior line that will occupy multiple blockers and free up others. Miller can easily be handled by a much bigger, much quicker OL in the NFL vs. the Big 12. He will be a late 1st round pick, but the Bills can't afford another undersized pass rusher. Miller will do well in the NFL as a complimentary player on a team with an established D Line.

Why hasnt anyone brought up his technique issues? Thats what will keep him from getting off blocks in the NFL which is the same problem Maybin has and had in college. He doesnt use his hands to keep defenders off him consistently and doesnt play the run well at all. I really dont think he has much to offer.

His only role would prob be a weakside in a 4-3. Some role that will keep defenders off him and let him you use burst and quickness to get to the ball carrier. He could maybe shift to a Tampa 2 MLB I guess, he seems to have the athletic ability to do so. I just don’t see him being a pass rushing threat in the NFL, and taking a guy who we cant figure out how to play is a bad idea.

Edited by Thoner7

I am sorry, but I don't see the similarity between Miller and Maybin. Maybin wasn't slated to start the in college the year

he came out (was behind a DE who was suspended for drug use). He hadn't played much as a red-shirt freshman. He was

225lbs in their bowl game and feasted on weak opponents and didn't have the same impact against top competition.

Von Miller has produced at a high level for 2 years. He is 6'2+ 240+ (according to what I've read). He is reported to have

an excellent motor and be a good kid. I don't see where he is considerably undersized and he has shown excellent

pass rush potential.

Is he worth the 3rd overall pick? I am not sure this early in the process, but his production says he is a top 10-15

player and he isn't grossly undersized like Maybin was. Further, from what I've read, Miller is a 4.5-4.6 40 guy. Maybin

was never that fast (4.7 and ran closer to 4.8 after bulking up for the combine).

I wouldn't write this guy off just yet.

Why hasn’t anyone brought up his technique issues? That’s what will keep him from getting off blocks in the NFL – which is the same problem Maybin has and had in college. He doesn’t use his hands to keep defenders off him consistently and doesn’t play the run well at all. I really don’t think he has much to offer.

His only role would prob be a weakside in a 4-3. Some role that will keep defenders off him and let him you use burst and quickness to get to the ball carrier. He could maybe shift to a Tampa 2 MLB I guess, he seems to have the athletic ability to do so. I just don’t see him being a pass rushing threat in the NFL, and taking a guy who we cant figure out how to play is a bad idea.

How many guys coming from college actually use their hands effectively to get off blocks??? Not many at all. And I guess no one here expects players to get any better once they get to the NFL...part of the draft process is projecting how good can a player be. He is far and away a better player than Maybin. It's not even close. Maybin can't hold Miller's jock. Maybin is lighter and no where near the athlete than Miller is. Wait until the combine and he runs in the high 4.5's at worst and his shuttle times are better than most safeties and will be in the mid to high 240's...

How many guys coming from college actually use their hands effectively to get off blocks??? Not many at all. And I guess no one here expects players to get any better once they get to the NFL...part of the draft process is projecting how good can a player be. He is far and away a better player than Maybin. It's not even close. Maybin can't hold Miller's jock. Maybin is lighter and no where near the athlete than Miller is. Wait until the combine and he runs in the high 4.5's at worst and his shuttle times are better than most safeties and will be in the mid to high 240's...

All the players that are considered for the first 2 rounds use their hands effectively to get off blocks. Its not a hard concept. Hell its an instinct, when you trip and fall, don’t you put your hands out to catch your fall? Its the same concept. This guy would break his fall with his nose if he trips anything like how he plays football

I do expect players to get better, but I do have to wonder why this guy hasn’t learned things most people figure out in high school. Add into that his small stature and frame, he looks like Maybin. He plays just like Maybin did in college too. Don’t tell me he doesn’t when that’s exactly what he does. He is quick and has a burst and tries to run around the tackle but as soon as a OT gets his hands on him he is done. He just swings his arms around. Don’t even bring up his play vrs the run BC its hilarious to watch and makes Keith Ellison look like a HOFer.

But he will destroy the combine, great, another combine workout freak. I prefer football players to weight lifters and workout warriors. You can have all the weight lifters and Ill take the football players. Your team will be filled with Maybins and Gholstons Ill have guys like Jerrod Mayo and Brandon Spikes (O no a 5 second 40 time!!!!) and my team will win.

All the players that are considered for the first 2 rounds use their hands effectively to get off blocks. Its not a hard concept. Hell its an instinct, when you trip and fall, don’t you put your hands out to catch your fall? Its the same concept. This guy would break his fall with his nose if he trips anything like how he plays football

I do expect players to get better, but I do have to wonder why this guy hasn’t learned things most people figure out in high school. Add into that his small stature and frame, he looks like Maybin. He plays just like Maybin did in college too. Don’t tell me he doesn’t when that’s exactly what he does. He is quick and has a burst and tries to run around the tackle but as soon as a OT gets his hands on him he is done. He just swings his arms around. Don’t even bring up his play vrs the run BC its hilarious to watch and makes Keith Ellison look like a HOFer.

But he will destroy the combine, great, another combine workout freak. I prefer football players to weight lifters and workout warriors. You can have all the weight lifters and Ill take the football players. Your team will be filled with Maybins and Gholstons Ill have guys like Jerrod Mayo and Brandon Spikes (O no a 5 second 40 time!!!!) and my team will win.

I guess you didn't see him play last year against the 2 best OT's in the last 2 drafts and he used his hands and was stout against the run. Yeah your right, he's not a football player, he only has 27 sacks in the last 2 years in the 2nd best conference in college football, but I guess that doesn't count as being a football player. Find me any player in the country at any level that has that many sacks the last 2 years....and if you want we can throw in TFL's, forced fumbles, PBU's and INT's....but hey I guess you expect the guy to get a sack on every pass attempt. He may have somewhat similar build to Maybin, he is far more explosive and flexible, not to mention he is way faster. He can cover WR's, as A&M had him do. Can you see Maybin's stiff herky herky body in coverage. Nope....

I don't think I see what this proves. You could produce the exact same low-light reel for Hall of Famer Bruce Smith. I am NOT comparing

Miller to Bruce Smith in any way shape or form, just saying that one of the 2 or 3 best pass rushers ever (Smith) had LOTS of plays that

looked exactly like that.

Edited by OldTimer1960