Venting my anger

dailar

I say we cut our losses, and start trading first round picks for multiple later round picks, and see if we can increase our chances at getting lucky.

Sadly, this plan probably would have worked out better in recent history anyway.

Edited by CodeMonkey

What most fans have issue with is the incredibly stupid moves the Bills have made over the last decade......and the fact that they still keep making them every year!

Did you happen watch the Redskins RUN to the podium with the Brian Arakpo selection the instant the Bills made the Aaron Maybin pick? One guy is a COMPLETE BUST, the other gets named to the pro bowl. You ask yourself, how can these guys be this inept and keep their jobs?

Donte Whitner was the 53rd rated player in the draft that year (06) according to ESPN, to make that big a reach threw everyone for a loop, then to compound matters the Bills move up in the first round for another reach in John McCargo. So the bills took a 2nd rounder at #8 and then moved up and took a 3rd-4th rounder at #26...unbelieveable!

Ngata isn't the only one....there are dozens of players the Bills missed on in that 06 draft.

The names..QB Jay Cutler @ 11- DT Haloti Ngata @ 12- CB Antonio Cromartie @ 19- G Davin Joseph @ 23-RB DeAngelo Williams @ 27-TE Marcedes Lewis @ 28- C Nick Mangold @ 29 -RB Joseph Addai @ 30-LB Demeco Ryans @ 33- SS ROMAN HARPER @ 43-LT Marcus McNeill @ 50- WR Greg Jennings @ 52-WR Devin Hester @ 57- RB Maurice Jones drew @ 60- TE Tony Scheffler @ 61-TE Owne Daniels @ 98- WR Brandon Marshall @119- DE Elvis Dumervil @ 126

You look over those names and the holes the Bills currently need to fill and ask yourself, how did they ever pass on some of these players? Can you imagine the team with Ngata next to Kyle Williams....QB Jay Cutler...TE Marcedes Lewis or Owen Daniels.... C Nick Mangold....LT Marcus McNeil

The Bills could have traded that #8 for more picks and ended up with Center Nick Mangold at #29, which would have given the Bills an amazing O line, that was the one true weak link on that line back then, and still tabbed SS Roman Harper or Donte Whitner with the 2nd rd pick

For the love of god, the Buffalo Bills had Bill Polian AND A.J. Smith and somhow managed to lose them both.... It is clear to me that this current Bills FO / scouting staff stinks and has been bad for a decade. I don't care how many people you move in and out of that staff, it doesn't seem to change anything. I have zero faith that this bunch of clowns running this team will make a decent selection with that #3 overall.

I am writing this after years of listening to people on here moan and whine and I feel I have to get it out of my system. There are a number of topics which I feel need addressing so I will take them one by one. Here's my first one.

Why did we draft him?

Lets start with my biggest bug bear, it's not only aimed at this example but its the one that's used the most so I am going to call it the Whitner-Ngata case of 2006. Now for 5 years we have heard about the fact the Bills took Mr Whitner before Mr Ngata and how terrible this is. In HINDSIGHT then I agree with you, looking at how their careers have panned out since you'd have to say we made a mistake. However, lets get a few facts out there. There were 23 probowl players selected (and 2 UDFA's) after Mr Whitner not just Mr Ngata. This is an even bigger indictment on the Bills front office. However if you look at this draft in full you will see that 3 of the sides that drafted above the Bills also missed out on a probowler and instead selected Reggie Bush, A J Hawk and Michael Huff. In that same draft the first pick of the amazingly astute Patriots was Laurence Maroney at pick 21. Whilst not forgetting that running backs are a dime a dozen and only the Bills would think of picking one in the first round, if running back was their need they missed out on probowlers DeAngelo Williams, Jason Addai, Maurice Jones-Drew and Leon Washington. Also with his second round pick he selected Chad Jackson at pick 36. Who I hear you ask! If WR was his bag he could have selected Gregg Jennings, Brandon Marshall and Miles Austin. I put it to you that Belichick is a complete idiot! The fact that the pats now try to maximise the number of picks they have is a further example that the draft is a crapshoot and the more picks you have the better chance you have of hitting on one.

I need to know how long I am going to hear about Mr Whitner and Mr Ngata as Mr Whitner is soon to depart. Could this still be going on in 20 years time? If so I have decided when hearing this comparison, from now on I am going to counter with "Can you believe the Bills selected John Pitts in the 67 draft when Hall of Famers Lem Barney and Ken Houston were still on the board. It's no wonder this organisation stinks"!

Really, you're just doing the same by making your point and listing the plethora of players the Bill's missed out on. Also, I'm glad we didn't draft Jason Addai too, wd'd only have 52 guys on our roster and seeing how there's already a talent shortage...

Also, it's not merely pro bowls that have people upset in regards to the players you are describing. Go look at Michael Huff's numbers from this year. If Donte had a season like this, the majority of people wouldn't compare the two players.

Edited by stony

If someone complains about the Bills' draft, why does that imply other teams' drafts are flawless? It doesn't. You set up a strawman. The fact that New England whiffed on its top 2 2006 draft picks is meaningless.

Honestly I think I will have to learn about this ignore button.

I was cheering and screaming my heart out for about 30 seconds before I realized that the giants fans sorrounding me were cheering too... wide right. I was 7. It is one of my most vivid memories from my youth and has shaped the person I am today. . . . sweetjones

geeze - NO child should have to see that - you must be scarred for life!

In retrospect, it does seem that my dad was abusive, doesn't it? :D

to Bill in NYC:

I'll admit that I was just trying to throw in a cheap dis to Chris Watson... no disrespect to Polomalu who is one of my favorite players not wearing a Bills helmet. And as far as credibility goes? well, I am assuming we all take anything anyone posts with a grain of salt as, for the most part, we are all faceless avatars rambling about our love/hate relationship with our favorite NFL team via the least credible medium available: the internet (which is in actuality nothing more than a series of tubes...)

That being said, I still stand by the message I was trying to get across: the past is the past... don't dwell on it in any aspect of life. It is not healthy.

In respect to our drafting woes, if you must look back, then don't count out Erik Flowers either... he was supposed to be our replacement for #78. he hasn't panned out because the football gods are mad we drafted an Arizona State Sun Devil, so they've sent Arizona Wildcats to punish us on a regular basis, most recently Nick Folk (dallas kicker who made the winning FG in the infamous MNF game, now is kicking in the playoffs for the jets), Teddy Bruschi and now Gronkowski on the pats* as a TE who will terrorize us for years to come... that one hurts the most considering he's a wny native.

joking aside, look to the future: yes our first rounds have been terrible, but on the bright side, we've done a fantastic job of getting lucky with late rounders and UDFA's coming in and making a difference. has it won us games? no... but if we do happen to hit some of our next few early rounders out of the park, we might just be talking about the bills playing in late january in the not-too-distant future. And that is worth staying positive for, isn't it?

Honestly I think I will have to learn about this ignore button.

The strawman the OP set up was extremely irritating. (See: Reggie Bush sucks and NE made bad picks then too!) Somehow, we're supposed to take solace in the fact that other teams make mistakes?

What a loser mentality.

And it was nice to see how this FO learned from the Reggie Bush pick by selecting in 2010 another burner with skills that don't translate at the NFL level.

In retrospect, it does seem that my dad was abusive, doesn't it? :D

to Bill in NYC:

I'll admit that I was just trying to throw in a cheap dis to Chris Watson... no disrespect to Polomalu who is one of my favorite players not wearing a Bills helmet. And as far as credibility goes? well, I am assuming we all take anything anyone posts with a grain of salt as, for the most part, we are all faceless avatars rambling about our love/hate relationship with our favorite NFL team via the least credible medium available: the internet (which is in actuality nothing more than a series of tubes...)

That being said, I still stand by the message I was trying to get across: the past is the past... don't dwell on it in any aspect of life. It is not healthy.

In respect to our drafting woes, if you must look back, then don't count out Erik Flowers either... he was supposed to be our replacement for #78. he hasn't panned out because the football gods are mad we drafted an Arizona State Sun Devil, so they've sent Arizona Wildcats to punish us on a regular basis, most recently Nick Folk (dallas kicker who made the winning FG in the infamous MNF game, now is kicking in the playoffs for the jets), Teddy Bruschi and now Gronkowski on the pats* as a TE who will terrorize us for years to come... that one hurts the most considering he's a wny native.

joking aside, look to the future: yes our first rounds have been terrible, but on the bright side, we've done a fantastic job of getting lucky with late rounders and UDFA's coming in and making a difference. has it won us games? no... but if we do happen to hit some of our next few early rounders out of the park, we might just be talking about the bills playing in late january in the not-too-distant future. And that is worth staying positive for, isn't it?

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

Imo, what frustrates most fans is that it really wouldn't have been so hard to make the Bills a playoff team. What frustrates me personally is how long it will take to undo the carnage to this franchise inflicted by Levy and Jauron. And, we got off to a horrible start in doing so with Spiller.

We are as loyal as any fans in any place. Not many would be as prepared to put up with this garbage imo. And yes, hope does spring eternal in the offseason. Now we have the #3. Let's hope for the best!!!

The strawman the OP set up was extremely irritating. (See: Reggie Bush sucks and NE made bad picks then too!) Somehow, we're supposed to take solace in the fact that other teams make mistakes?

What a loser mentality.

And it was nice to see how this FO learned from the Reggie Bush pick by selecting in 2010 another burner with skills that don't translate at the NFL level.

I didnt intend for us to tke solace in the failings off others. My point was really to emphasise the crapshoot that is the draft and the fact that we keep looking back bemoaning failings of ours instead of looking forward. As someone already said there are more than whitner and Ngata. McLovin was taken before Ryan Clandy (if I remember rightly) and that was a mistake. What I am saying is so what! Get on with it and look to this year and what we already have to work with. I really don't think we are too far off but thats the optimist in me. Whats the strawman????

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

Imo, what frustrates most fans is that it really wouldn't have been so hard to make the Bills a playoff team. What frustrates me personally is how long it will take to undo the carnage to this franchise inflicted by Levy and Jauron. And, we got off to a horrible start in doing so with Spiller.

We are as loyal as any fans in any place. Not many would be as prepared to put up with this garbage imo. And yes, hope does spring eternal in the offseason. Now we have the #3. Let's hope for the best!!!

agreed! Thanks to incompetent leadership (those two certainly did us no favors) we've got a long climb up... and while I can understand the FO's reasoning for the Spiller pick this year, I certainly do not agree with it nor has the pick been justified.

at first glance the state of the Bills does in fact seem to be: more of the same. and that sucks.

but like you said, in the offseason hope sprigns eternal...

and for some of us (like me) hope springs eternal in week 17 of a 4-12 season as well! (then again I'm admittedly delusional)

cheers!

Where did I say this exactly? I dont want anyone to have to hurt themselves for us to win pal. As for the perrenial moaning I think the point is how many times do we have to hear the same arguement. Thats the point. I get it, Ngata is better than Whitner. Saying it over and over again does not validate your point further.

Sorry, I was referencing the guy who agreed with you.

Not everyone is saying it over and over again so it's a strange complaint to argue. If you look at every failed draft year after year and feel compelled only to say "so what", you are free to do so (several here do the same), but pardon the rest of us who have a more natural response.

This is why the draft is not science. It is a gamble at times. This is why, I think NE changed it's plan. Get as many picks as you can, because not all of them will be good players for various reasons. Take Maroney and Jackson for example. Both should have succeeded, but both failed. They both had size, speed and all of the intangibles but one. They both lacked commitment. Jackson could not run the correct route or remember the playbook. Maroney did not put any effort into improving his running or blocking, then started fumbling the ball away. Fred Jackson, before the season started, was asked about both Green and Maroney. He said Green was always trying to better himself with extra study and work. while Maroney might just be starting to get it. Many draft picks, when they sign the first big contract ,simply no longer put in the effort to become a great player. To me, this is why a rookie wage scale is needed.

Edited by dogbyte

I am writing this after years of listening to people on here moan and whine and I feel I have to get it out of my system. There are a number of topics which I feel need addressing so I will take them one by one. Here's my first one.

Why did we draft him?...In that same draft the first pick of the amazingly astute Patriots was Laurence Maroney at pick 21. Whilst not forgetting that running backs are a dime a dozen and only the Bills would think of picking one in the first round, if running back was their need they missed out on probowlers DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai, Maurice Jones-Drew and Leon Washington. Also with his second round pick he selected Chad Jackson at pick 36. Who I hear you ask! If WR was his bag he could have selected Gregg Jennings, Brandon Marshall and Miles Austin. I put it to you that Belichick is a complete idiot! The fact that the pats now try to maximise the number of picks they have is a further example that the draft is a crapshoot and the more picks you have the better chance you have of hitting on one...It's no wonder this organization stinks"!

Good original point about the draft being hard to nail! :thumbsup:

But man, did you ever pick the wrong team to prove your point with when bringing up New England Patriots misses in the draft! The following is a list of draft picks since the last season the Bills made the playoffs, 1999, thru 2009 (I'm not counting rookies who played their first season in 2010.) from the Bills & Pats. The list is broken down into two types of picks: (1) Players still on the their teams. (2) Notable players not still playing on their teams. Take a look at this comparison over 11 of the past 12 drafts, and then tell me you can lump the Pats organization into the same category of "hit and miss" as the Bills! :doh:

Players with * are still playing for their respective teams.

1999: Pats

*Kevin Faulk - 2nd Round

1999: Bills

None

2000: Pats

*TOM BRADY-QB-6th Round - (COULD BE THE VERY BEST LUCKIEST DRAFT PICK IN NFL HISTORY?)

2000: Bills

Sammy Morris-RB-5th Round (But Playing for the Pats the past 4 seasons!)

2001: Pats

Richard Seymour-DE-1st Round (played 8 Pro Bowl level seasons for Pats, but now playing for Raiders)

*Matt Light-OT-2nd Round

2001: Bills

Nate Clements-CB-1st Round (6 Good To Pro Bowl level seasons for the Bills, but now in San Fran)

Aaron Schobel-DE-(BEST BILLS' DRAFT PICK OF THIS CENTURY? - 2nd All Time in Bills' Sacks, but now retired.)

2002: Pats

Deion Branch-WR-2nd Round (Played 4 years with Pats, 5 yrs with Seattle, now back with Pats)

Jarvis Green-DE-(Played 7 solid years for Pats, but now playing for Houston)

2002: Bills

Mike Williams-OT-1st Round 4th overall - WORST DRAFT CHOICE EVER IN BILLS HISTORY?

2003: Pats

*Ty Warren-DE-1st Round

Asante Samuel-CB-4th Round (Played 5 good to Pro Bowl level seasons for Pats but now in Philly)

*Dan Koppen-C-5th Round (has started at center for Pats all 8 seasons)

*Tully Banta-Cain-LB-7th Round (239th player picked that year - still playing for the Pats.

2003: Bills

Wills McGahee-RB-1st Round 23rd overall - SECOND WORST CHOICE EVER IN BILLS HISTORY?

*Chris Kelsay-DE-2nd Round

*Terrence McGee

Ben Sobieski-G-5th Round (Had to mention this obscure guard that played 3 years in the NFL, cause the Bills drafted him 14 picks ahead of Dan Koppen in the 5th round.)

2004: Pats

*Vince Wilfork-DT-1st Round

Ben Watson-TE-1st Round (Played 6 good seasons for Pats, but now with Browns)

2004: Bills

*Lee Evans - WR - 1st Round (2ND BEST BILLS DRAFT PICK OF THE CENTURY?)

JP Lost-man - QB - 1ST ROUND (THIRD WORST CHOICE EVER IN BILLS HISTORY?)

2005: Pats

*Logan Mankins OT- 1st Round

*Nick Kaczur OT - 3rd Round

*James Sanders-SS-4th Round

Matt Cassel-QB-7th Round (Seems that the Pats can find damn good QB's in the 6th & 7th rounds, don't you think?? - Cassel is obviously starting for the AFC West Champs Chiefs.)

2005: Bills

*Roscoe Parrish - 2nd Round

Kevin Everett - 3rd Round (Might have been long term answer at TE, but tragic major spine injury ended his career way too soon)

2006: Pats

Laurence Maroney-1st Round (You used him as an example of a bust, but he had 3 very productive years out of his 5 with the Pats, in which he scored a total of 21 TD's, before being traded to the Broncos this year.

Chad Jackson-WR-2nd Round - (OK, A DEFINITE BIG TIME BUST FOR THE PATS.)

*Stephen Gostkowski-K-4th Round (Nice value for the guy who replaced Vinitieri, huh?)

2006: Bills

*Donte Whitner-SS-1st Round

*John McCargo-DT - 1ST ROUND - (4TH WORST CHOICE EVER IN BILLS HISTORY?)

*Ashton Youboty-CB-3rd Round

*Kyle Williams=DT-5th Round (Proving to be right up there with Schobel & Evans - especially as a 5th rounder!)

Brad Butler-OT-5th Round - May have been the best OT drafted this past decade, but decided to retire after only 4 years, to go into politics?? Only a Buffalo Bills draft choice, right? :w00t:

*Keith Ellison-LB-6th round.

2007: Pats

*Brandon Meriweather-SS-1st Round

2007: Bills

Marshawn Lynch-RB-1st Round (12th overall pick - another HUGE BUST for the Bills! - But he may not be a "huge bust" for the Seahawks, eh??? Buddy got a 4th round pick for him while Marshwawn "Beast Moded" Seattle past the Saints in the playoffs last week. Typical Buffalo Bills "trade-off" this century.)

*Paul Posluszny-LB-2nd Round

2008: Pats

*Jerod Mayo-LB-1st Round

*Jonathan Wilhite-CB-4th Round

*Matt Slater-WR-5th Round

2008: Bills

*Leodis McKelving-CB-1st Round

*Reggie Corner-CB-4th Round (Good value)

*Demetrius Bell-OT-7th Round (EXCELLENT PICK -EXCELLENT VALUE)

*Stevie Johnson-WR-7th Round (SEE DEMETRIUS BELL) - This has to be the best 7th round of any draft in Bills history, perhaps??)

2009: Pats

*Pat Chung-FS-2nd Round

*Ron Brace-DE-2nd Round

*Darius Butler-CB-2nd Round

*Brandon Tate-WR-3rd Round

*Rich Ohrnberger-G-4th Round

*George Bussey-T-5th Round

*Julian Edelman-WR-7th Round

*Darryl Richard-DT-7th Round

2009: Bills

*Aaron Maybin-DE-1st Round (If he doesn't start lifting weights soon, he will be right up there with Mike Williams and Willis McGahee in Bills' draft busters history)

*Eric Wood-C/G-1st Round (Should be Bills' center for the next 10 years)

*Jarius Byrd-FS-2nd Round

*Andy Levitre-G-2nd Round

*Shawn Nelson-TE-4th Round

*Ellis Lankster-CB-7th Round

So there you have it. Look at both of these teams since 1999. I'm not even listing any free agents. Pats have won 3 SB's and the Bills have not made the playoffs. Look at all these players (Lord knows it took me long enough to write this post), and ask yourself just how "random" the drafting process really is.

Why did we draft him?

Lets start with my biggest bug bear, it's not only aimed at this example but its the one that's used the most so I am going to call it the Whitner-Ngata case of 2006. Now for 5 years we have heard about the fact the Bills took Mr Whitner before Mr Ngata and how terrible this is. In HINDSIGHT then I agree with you, looking at how their careers have panned out since you'd have to say we made a mistake. However, lets get a few facts out there. There were 23 probowl players selected (and 2 UDFA's) after Mr Whitner not just Mr Ngata. This is an even bigger indictment on the Bills front office. However if you look at this draft in full you will see that 3 of the sides that drafted above the Bills also missed out on a probowler and instead selected Reggie Bush, A J Hawk and Michael Huff. In that same draft the first pick of the amazingly astute Patriots was Laurence Maroney at pick 21. Whilst not forgetting that running backs are a dime a dozen and only the Bills would think of picking one in the first round, if running back was their need they missed out on probowlers DeAngelo Williams, Jason Addai, Maurice Jones-Drew and Leon Washington. Also with his second round pick he selected Chad Jackson at pick 36. Who I hear you ask! If WR was his bag he could have selected Gregg Jennings, Brandon Marshall and Miles Austin. I put it to you that Belichick is a complete idiot! The fact that the pats now try to maximise the number of picks they have is a further example that the draft is a crapshoot and the more picks you have the better chance you have of hitting on one.

I need to know how long I am going to hear about Mr Whitner and Mr Ngata as Mr Whitner is soon to depart. Could this still be going on in 20 years time? If so I have decided when hearing this comparison, from now on I am going to counter with "Can you believe the Bills selected John Pitts in the 67 draft when Hall of Famers Lem Barney and Ken Houston were still on the board. It's no wonder this organisation stinks"!

You are correct and the draft is a crapshoot. Nobody knows who is going to be good and teams we "hear" draft well like the Pats simply have sooo much room for error b/c of Tom Brady plain and simple. The guy covers so many failures/deficiencies of other players. When your offense is a threat to score 30 points every game it makes the other teams defense and offense plan differently.

People act like Whitner is an awful player....the guy is a good safety. Not great or an elite 5 safety but around a top 10 safety. He is NOT a bust by any stretch. If you pick a guy as the 8th pick overall and he plays in the NFL for 12 years he is a very good player. A team will pay DW about 7M a year like he wants.

The draft is very unpredictable and on this board I hear/read all the time how horrible drafts were with Marv Levy etc....He picked a pro bowl RB and a pro bowl DT....who cares if John McCargo did not pan out.....I don't care. Why would anyone care that J Hardy did not pan out but we got S Johnson in the 7th and he did. If you get players who can play who cares when they are taken.

If you really go thru every teams' draft you will find a whole lot of misses! Trust me the Pats and the Colts would not be playoff teams with their 2nd string QBs playing

Why did we draft him?

Can't hate the fans for FO mistakes.