Bills Management & Draft Strategy

Trader

I believe the Bills primary objective this off season will be to raise the team revenue and increase ticket sales especially the prime seating. The statistic that is most important to them is that they are 29th in the league in a market where the ticket prices are low. I do believe that that winning is a secondary objective to selling tickets, merchandise and concessions. Winning a championship? yes it's a long term objective because if the team makes it all the way to the championship the opportunity to sell merchandise is huge. Management always hopes to win a Championship but hope is not a strategy. The immediate goal is to create a lot of buzz around the team that will generate revenue. Competing for a playoff spot late in the season is a great way to sell tickets but rrealistically we are competing in the AFC East and that is not going to happen for a several years. Attracting a fan base in Canada is critical to the real mission. Who might the Bills draft that would accomplish this mission? Acquiring a big name player like Owens worked well in the recent past.

What one player could the Bills draft who would fire up a potential fan base in Toronto, Rochester, Syracuse and Erie? who could sell merchandise all over the country thus creating a national fan base. What player could increase the value of this franchise?

Edited by Trader

I believe the Bills primary objective this off season will be to raise the team revenue and increase ticket sales especially the prime seating. The statistic that is most important to them is that they are 29th in the league in a market where the ticket prices are low. I do believe that that winning is a secondary objective to selling tickets, merchandise and concessions.

I'm afraid you are correct and that this objective influenced team choices such as

2009: TO signing

2010: Spiller as #9 overall pick

In the past, Wilson took high draft picks like Bruce Smith but these days all the flash and sizzle is on QB. And he's gone on record saying "we will draft a QB next year".

Now Chan (interview timed after he said he would be talking to Wilson) has implied we will draft a QB at #3 if there is one available we feel could be "the guy", so that we can *develop* him. I don't think it's the right choice myself, but I don't make my living coaching or managing football so whatever.

However, your scenario would require us to present him as the 2011 starter, to attract excitement. In this scenario, he would likely contribute as much as Spiller and Easley in 2010.

My hope is the Bills management (incl. Wilson) have finally got the flick that the fans are sick and tired of "flashy" moves that don't produce a winning team, and that ticket sales/revenue will not go up until Bills "show us the baby" which is winning. But that's just my hope, I wouldn't bet any cash on it.

I believe the Bills primary objective this off season will be to raise the team revenue and increase ticket sales especially the prime seating. The statistic that is most important to them is that they are 29th in the league in a market where the ticket prices are low. I do believe that that winning is a secondary objective to selling tickets, merchandise and concessions. Winning a championship? yes it's a long term objective because if the team makes it all the way to the championship the opportunity to sell merchandise is huge. Management always hopes to win a Championship but hope is not a strategy. The immediate goal is to create a lot of buzz around the team that will generate revenue. Competing for a playoff spot late in the season is a great way to sell tickets but rrealistically we are competing in the AFC East and that is not going to happen for a several years. Attracting a fan base in Canada is critical to the real mission. Who might the Bills draft that would accomplish this mission? Acquiring a big name player like Owens worked well in the recent past.

What one player could the Bills draft who would fire up a potential fan base in Toronto, Rochester, Syracuse and Erie? who could sell merchandise all over the country thus creating a national fan base. What player could increase the value of this franchise?

I am sorry, but to assume that WINNING a lot of football games in a single season does not occur to current management as being the root of all future success is a reach. Winning fixes everything.

I am sorry, but to assume that WINNING a lot of football games in a single season does not occur to current management as being the root of all future success is a reach. Winning fixes everything.

Winning is important because it is an activity that supports the primary goal of revenue. No where in my post do I suggest that winning is not important.

I'm afraid you are correct and that this objective influenced team choices such as

2009: TO signing

2010: Spiller as #9 overall pick

In the past, Wilson took high draft picks like Bruce Smith but these days all the flash and sizzle is on QB. And he's gone on record saying "we will draft a QB next year".

Now Chan (interview timed after he said he would be talking to Wilson) has implied we will draft a QB at #3 if there is one available we feel could be "the guy", so that we can *develop* him. I don't think it's the right choice myself, but I don't make my living coaching or managing football so whatever.

However, your scenario would require us to present him as the 2011 starter, to attract excitement. In this scenario, he would likely contribute as much as Spiller and Easley in 2010.

My hope is the Bills management (incl. Wilson) have finally got the flick that the fans are sick and tired of "flashy" moves that don't produce a winning team, and that ticket sales/revenue will not go up until Bills "show us the baby" which is winning. But that's just my hope, I wouldn't bet any cash on it.

Newton does not have to start he only has to play. Remember the way the Jets used their back up QB in the process of running up 275 rushing yards on the Bills.

If you listen to Gailey, he knows where the holes in this team are and that's where the picks will go. He thinks the offense has a chance to be very good next year. He offered no such optimism on the defense and said stuff like "we have a long way to go", "it's a process" and "we found out what some guys can't do that we thought they could do".

Other than OT and TE, I expect all the picks to be used on defense and major overhaul. I dunno who's any good on that defense, but it's clear the Bills are way behind on having any defensive talent. I think that will be the PR move. Give us HOPE on defense.

If you listen to Gailey, he knows where the holes in this team are and that's where the picks will go. He thinks the offense has a chance to be very good next year. He offered no such optimism on the defense and said stuff like "we have a long way to go", "it's a process" and "we found out what some guys can't do that we thought they could do".

Other than OT and TE, I expect all the picks to be used on defense and major overhaul. I dunno who's any good on that defense, but it's clear the Bills are way behind on having any defensive talent. I think that will be the PR move. Give us HOPE on defense.

HOPEFUL hopes you are right!

This statement seems to be the entire premise behind your reasoning. However, it's completely flawed. The Bills are doing quite the opposite of making flashy moves just to garner "buzz". Last year, if their goal,was to draft a player that would generate buzz and sell tickets, why didn't they draft Tebow? He's far and away the most marketable and buzz worthy draft pick in years. He was there for the taking yet they didn't. Had you made this exact same post last year, drafting Tebow would have been the logical conclusion.

And TO, can we please stop the nonsense that he was brought in just to sell tickets. The Bills FO was actively pursuing a top notch WR that entire offseason - well before TO was released from Dallas. They were repeatedly turned down by FAs. It wasn't until TO was released and Trent texted Jauron, and TO had nowhere else to go; that TO was signed. Did they capitalize on his fame after the hire - yes. But, there's no indication that that is why he was signed.

What about all the marquee FAs they could have (or be trying to) brought in: Vince Young, Vick, Moss, re-signing TO, Haynesworth, McNabb, and so forth. No.... we get Cornell Green and Torbor.

And how about coaching hires? How many tickets did they sell by hiring Modkins and Edwards.... even Gailey for that matter? There were several much higher profile and/or confidence-inducing coaching candidates out there last year. And for the most part, few of them were even considered.

So, no. No. I have to conclude that your premise that the Bills will make flashy moves just to sell tickets is completely wrong. If anything, their recent history has shown that they could care less about flashy moves and instilling confidence and optimism in the fan base.

This statement seems to be the entire premise behind your reasoning. However, it's completely flawed. The Bills are doing quite the opposite of making flashy moves just to garner "buzz". Last year, if their goal,was to draft a player that would generate buzz and sell tickets, why didn't they draft Tebow? He's far and away the most marketable and buzz worthy draft pick in years. He was there for the taking yet they didn't. Had you made this exact same post last year, drafting Tebow would have been the logical conclusion.

And TO, can we please stop the nonsense that he was brought in just to sell tickets. The Bills FO was actively pursuing a top notch WR that entire offseason - well before TO was released from Dallas. They were repeatedly turned down by FAs. It wasn't until TO was released and Trent texted Jauron, and TO had nowhere else to go; that TO was signed. Did they capitalize on his fame after the hire - yes. But, there's no indication that that is why he was signed.

What about all the marquee FAs they could have (or be trying to) brought in: Vince Young, Vick, Moss, re-signing TO, Haynesworth, McNabb, and so forth. No.... we get Cornell Green and Torbor.

And how about coaching hires? How many tickets did they sell by hiring Modkins and Edwards.... even Gailey for that matter? There were several much higher profile and/or confidence-inducing coaching candidates out there last year. And for the most part, few of them were even considered.

So, no. No. I have to conclude that your premise that the Bills will make flashy moves just to sell tickets is completely wrong. If anything, their recent history has shown that they could care less about flashy moves and instilling confidence and optimism in the fan base.

Excellent post. I do believe that they are trying to build a winning team, especially Buddy Nix and Gailey.

I know that Russ Brandon (the Marketing guy and VP) wields a lot of power, or has in the past, but I really

believe that Gailey and Nix are going to take tough solid football players in the draft and augment that with

some mid-level tough FAs to shore up the D. I don't like any of the first round QBs at #3 (at least from

what I've read and seen them play), but I am confident that if Nix picks one early then it is because he

thinks he is going to be a good pro QB, not to sell tickets.

How many tickets do you think the selection of NT Torrell Troup and DE Alex Carrington sold in rounds 2 & 3?

Not many, but they played reasonably well as rookies and given an offseason of NFL weight training will

hopefully be better next year. I concede that you could look at the Spiller pick as splash, but as the

previous poster pointed out, had they really wanted splash they could have taken Tebow or Clausen or

Dez Bryant and made BIG headlines. Spiller didn't generate as much buzz as any of those 3 would have.

Spiller was that attention getting pick. did not pan out yet... But i still think that was a calculated draft. for the fans.

Maybe we do not recall now. But it was pretty exciting and controversial. My die hard buddies were on board after the pick.

It's ok. he will be very good when we bring up the rear. or the offensive front line i mean

Lets face it we have alot of time to develop a player. Tom Brady is 33 and doesnt take alot of big hits. As much as it gags me to say it when he is all said and done he will most likely be recognized as the best player in NFL history. Untill we can find a way to trump him our chances of making the playoffs are already reduced and I dont see us doing that anytime soon, the Jets are very good but they are beatable. Until Brady hangs it up IMO we will be on the outside looking in.

Excellent post. I do believe that they are trying to build a winning team, especially Buddy Nix and Gailey.

I know that Russ Brandon (the Marketing guy and VP) wields a lot of power, or has in the past, but I really

believe that Gailey and Nix are going to take tough solid football players in the draft and augment that with

some mid-level tough FAs to shore up the D. I don't like any of the first round QBs at #3 (at least from

what I've read and seen them play), but I am confident that if Nix picks one early then it is because he

thinks he is going to be a good pro QB, not to sell tickets.

How many tickets do you think the selection of NT Torrell Troup and DE Alex Carrington sold in rounds 2 & 3?

Not many, but they played reasonably well as rookies and given an offseason of NFL weight training will

hopefully be better next year. I concede that you could look at the Spiller pick as splash, but as the

previous poster pointed out, had they really wanted splash they could have taken Tebow or Clausen or

Dez Bryant and made BIG headlines. Spiller didn't generate as much buzz as any of those 3 would have.

IMO some of the Spiller pick was to eventually help out a future rookie QB he offers a nice option out of the backfield and screeens which are high percentage passes.

There is a way to beat Brady. The Giants revealed the best strategy for that during their win in the Super Bowl. The Bills, during the Schobel years, had games where we really got to Brady and you can disrupt that team by getting after him and messing with the timing of the offense - playing really physical with him and the recievers. Offensively, you want a good running game. We can beat them, and we can be good again. It takes vision, willingness on the part of our ownership to get the guys they need, and the intelligence and planning to know who they need and where before they play the season out - because - and I don't want to see this as a trend - Gailey and Nix have shown that they take a while in assessing player talent. They need to do better at figuring out where the weaknesses are, which players will blossom, and finally, how to fill the holes with the best available options.

Other than the draft, we should add two or three key F.A.'s this year, because, it'll be one of the best years for Free Agency - after all the holdover from last year. In F.A. alone we could fix our O-line, grab a T.E., and get our ILB - leaving the draft for QB, DE/NT, OLB and whoever else. Let's see some action this year! And, I hope, by the end of next season we'll have an identity on Defense.

Lol! That's true. But only if we draft Locker in round 1 or 2. Maybe 3 too.

:lol: True.

I was really going for the laugh more than anything. Other than Locker, I haven't seen any of the top QB prospects play much. I'm looking forward to watching Newton play Monday though.

This post makes way too much sense.....

Lets see what Nix does this offseason....the holes are easily to identify and he has stated where they are if people are listening.....

- I hope for a extremely boring but extremely needed defense dominated draft

- He wont move to get players where he has a easily identifyable started (like at QB) say what you want Fitz IS the leader of this team.....you could make the arguement that we need a backup QB but I am interested to see what Brown can do.

- I expect a concerted effort to bring in players that win at the line of scrimmage

This post makes way too much sense.....

Lets see what Nix does this offseason....the holes are easily to identify and he has stated where they are if people are listening.....

- I hope for a extremely boring but extremely needed defense dominated draft

- He wont move to get players where he has a easily identifyable started (like at QB) say what you want Fitz IS the leader of this team.....you could make the arguement that we need a backup QB but I am interested to see what Brown can do.

- I expect a concerted effort to bring in players that win at the line of scrimmage

Exactly what I expect and hope for, as well.

Interesting points. I've been one of those who worry Bills FO is more about flash over function, you're leading me to reconsider